The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

LowBidder
Fantasy
1788th
8/16/2022 10:05am
Here is my take.

Brennan shows up to Loretta's with no intention of claiming anything. Derek Harris pitches his great idea to Brennan, here is $17,000, all you have to do is claim the bike. Derek gets to split the cases, Brennan gets to race it. Dad may not have known in the beginning, hence why he wasn't around at the first meeting.

Matt Walker, Donnie Luce etc.. are mad as hell that Harris talked a 17 y.o. into submitting a claim, that will tarnish his reputation, and since Walker is his trainer, he doesnt want anything to do with it.

Dad and sponsor get wind of Harris antics, knowing it wasn't Brennan's money nor intention to submit the claim, they go and shut it down.
280driver
8/16/2022 10:07am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 10:55am
Brennan totally lied and said was just him and Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in room and never mention Mike from the ama was I’m That...
Brennan totally lied and said was just him and Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in room and never mention Mike from the ama was I’m That room in all his interviews and that was Mike that let Brian Deegan in
280driver wrote:
You are arguing about things that don’t matter and can’t be proven either way. Just answer these questions. Did Brennan make the claim fairly/ by the...
You are arguing about things that don’t matter and can’t be proven either way. Just answer these questions.

Did Brennan make the claim fairly/ by the rules? Yes or no

Was Brennan persuaded to drop the claim by adult influencers? Yes or no

Did Brennan drop the claim due to this persuasion? Yes or no

The facts matter and the rest is noise. What’s the point of having a rule if it can’t be applied without it becoming a negative shit show. No one will ever claim another bike and that a shame.
All this does matter because you know all week he was going after mx sports the deegans tim cotter everyone latched on and wanted all those...
All this does matter because you know all week he was going after mx sports the deegans tim cotter everyone latched on and wanted all those peoples heads on a plate but now that his story doesn’t all add up everyone is saying it doesn’t matter , doesn’t matter . Peoples jobs and livelihoods were put into question and that’s bullshit
Well that’s the rub isn’t it. If the claim had gone through, we would not be talking about it. The fact is, he dropped the claim due to persuasion from others. We can agree to disagree on who those persuaders were, but we know something changed the kids mind. That’s why people are fired up about it. Why have rules if you get shit on for following them? Those involved should be questioned and should be held accountable if shown to have done something wrong. We now have a 17 year old get who’s dream of becoming a professional motocross racer is potentially ruined all for trying to follow a rule.
USA
Fantasy
452nd
8/16/2022 10:12am
LowBidder wrote:
Here is my take. Brennan shows up to Loretta's with no intention of claiming anything. Derek Harris pitches his great idea to Brennan, here is $17,000...
Here is my take.

Brennan shows up to Loretta's with no intention of claiming anything. Derek Harris pitches his great idea to Brennan, here is $17,000, all you have to do is claim the bike. Derek gets to split the cases, Brennan gets to race it. Dad may not have known in the beginning, hence why he wasn't around at the first meeting.

Matt Walker, Donnie Luce etc.. are mad as hell that Harris talked a 17 y.o. into submitting a claim, that will tarnish his reputation, and since Walker is his trainer, he doesnt want anything to do with it.

Dad and sponsor get wind of Harris antics, knowing it wasn't Brennan's money nor intention to submit the claim, they go and shut it down.
I just want to know how you came to this conclusion and how many drugs it takes.

The Shop

LowBidder
Fantasy
1788th
8/16/2022 10:13am
LowBidder wrote:
Here is my take. Brennan shows up to Loretta's with no intention of claiming anything. Derek Harris pitches his great idea to Brennan, here is $17,000...
Here is my take.

USA wrote:
I just want to know how you came to this conclusion and how many drugs it takes.
Just an opinion. Lots of drugs
LoudLove
8/16/2022 10:19am
Cotter and Burkeen (both of whom present themselves professionally) minimized Deegan’s involvement. However, if there’s a history between Brennen and Haiden, and Brian uses the phrase “defame” during the discussion, that could easily be interpreted as a subtle but definitive shot across the bow. Not a direct threat, but w/o question a sign of Deegan’s dissatisfaction with the claim.

Initially Tim and Matt could have perceived the claim as an annoyance, but little more. Over a short period of time more & more parties get involved, with a rather clear goal of rescinding the claim. Even Yamaha realizes they may have overstepped boundaries and offers restitution in the form of crate engines. But the offer’s goal remains making the claim go away.

Once Brennen’s sponsors get involved, it likely overwhelmed the Schofield camp, with the intended results. Parties both directly and indirectly involved used their influence, and likely thought it was put to bed once Brennen got his money back. Brennen’s interview with Tyler ignited a firestorm, sending everyone into damage control while watching Vital fan the flames.

Lesson learned? Claims against large race teams do not exist in a vacuum. Most LL riders would jump at the chance to recover 2X the MSRP (modified racing equipment has paltry resell value). However, if the bike sits under the same tent as a professional championship team, rest assured you won’t roll your new ride into a trailer without a fight. Team Brennen underestimated the pushback, and likely never imagined that his own sponsor would frown on making a claim. And as Burkeen said himself, Brennen will forever be labeled “that guy”. Both positively and negatively.
jstein639
8/16/2022 10:19am
One thing that came out from Walker that I thought was interesting: in his interview, he explicitly said that the Dealership was the one who told Walker about Brennan's claim--not the other way around. So how did the dealership get that info? In my mind, the most likely people are Yamaha, Star, or Deegan, simply by process of elimination. Maybe the Dealer/Sponsor hears from others, but who would it be?
ctbale
8/16/2022 10:24am
LowBidder wrote:
Here is my take.

USA wrote:
dunno, lowbidder might have just nailed it. Except Brennan and Harris both admit they had a convo about the claim and Harris even called Mike Burkeen the week before LL to learn about claim procedures... per Burkeen. if true, my oh my
TXDirt
8/16/2022 10:25am
I would like to see the rule changed that at Loretta Lynn's, anyone can claim a bike anytime for any reason. I don't agree that it needs to be a claim from someone in the same class.

I think that opens it up to this type of intimidation we have now.

I think this would also allow for a lot more accountability for these factory teams putting amateurs on factory equipment.

That way if someone like Harris wants a Star bike, he can put in his own claim. The rule is there for a reason. The more it's used, the less likely a kid is riding basically a $50,000 factory bike.

2x MSRP if in same class
3x MSRP if out of class

Problem solved.

Let anyone claim a bike.
USA
Fantasy
452nd
8/16/2022 10:28am
I listen to the ones ML put up. Brennan said was Only him Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan In the room and was 30 mins...
I listen to the ones ML put up. Brennan said was Only him Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan In the room and was 30 mins . Tim cotter Brian Deegan and head ama ref Mike all saying was only 3-5 mins and wasn’t just Tim,Brian andBrennan in that room the head of ama was in the room also . The engine builder called a week befor Loretta’s and talked to Mike from AMA about claiming bike. But in the cooksey interview Derek’s said he had no clue about the claim but AMA saying Derek knew and called a week befor about it
Maybe Brennan was in the room 30mins including the time while they went to get the bike and round up Deegan etc. and then conversation was...
Maybe Brennan was in the room 30mins including the time while they went to get the bike and round up Deegan etc. and then conversation was only 5mins or so…….? Regardless, in the scheme of things I don’t really see how that is a focal point on this.
Brennan totally lied and said was just him and Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in room and never mention Mike from the ama was I’m That...
Brennan totally lied and said was just him and Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in room and never mention Mike from the ama was I’m That room in all his interviews and that was Mike that let Brian Deegan in
What about Brian Deegan lying about not knowing there was a claim rule even though he has threatened to claim bikes in the past? Does that mean Deegan is potentially lying about everything and you should focus on that?
ctbale
8/16/2022 10:29am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 10:31am
jstein639 wrote:
One thing that came out from Walker that I thought was interesting: in his interview, he explicitly said that the Dealership was the one who told...
One thing that came out from Walker that I thought was interesting: in his interview, he explicitly said that the Dealership was the one who told Walker about Brennan's claim--not the other way around. So how did the dealership get that info? In my mind, the most likely people are Yamaha, Star, or Deegan, simply by process of elimination. Maybe the Dealer/Sponsor hears from others, but who would it be?
Thats a great point! How did criss at rallye motoplex learn about the claim? Hope it comes out in ML512's interview
280driver
8/16/2022 10:37am
jstein639 wrote:
One thing that came out from Walker that I thought was interesting: in his interview, he explicitly said that the Dealership was the one who told...
ctbale wrote:
Thats a great point! How did criss at rallye motoplex learn about the claim? Hope it comes out in ML512's interview
Bingo. How did the kids sponsor find out so quickly? Walker said they were in town having dinner so someone called or texted them.
Kmiller125
8/16/2022 10:41am
deez387 wrote:
C&C338 , you part of the Deegan camp or just not a fan of Brennan? Trying to figure out why you are having such issues with...
C&C338 , you part of the Deegan camp or just not a fan of Brennan? Trying to figure out why you are having such issues with the plain and simple FACT that Brennan was black balled in this whole ordeal. Even if he had it out for the Deegans (many do because of how they act) or his engine builder was behind it, it is all irrelevant. He did everything correct for the so called claim and still did not walk out of LL with the bike he went to claim. If you and sore loser cannot see the issues with all that....im not sure there is much for hope for you in understanding how big of an issue this is for not only Amateur MX scene, but MX sports, AMA, rules (why have them) and figure heads in this sport. It is beyond ridiculous.
Why do I have to be part of the Deegan camp to have this opinion. I’m so far away from moto sense in the USA I...
Why do I have to be part of the Deegan camp to have this opinion. I’m so far away from moto sense in the USA I live in North Ontario Canada and don’t own a Yamaha don’t work for Yamaha. Just a truck and bus mechanic . I’m pissed off because everyone went head hunting and wanted the deegans head and Tim Cotter head and wanted mx sports done as promoter that’s was how this was going befor everyone heard their sides of the story and it pisses me off now. A lot what Brennan said is untrue and so what the engine builder said was untrue and misleading and they wanted Tim Cotter and the Deegans to be hung out and dragged through the mud
Literally not one single person interviewed said a lot of what Brennan said was untrue, not one person. I heard as did everyone else a few things were remembered differently. Get that through your skull. No one said that. Literally the only thing that three interviewed have said was not true is the amount of time a minor was in the room being questioned. And that time frame between the 6 people so far it has even ranged from 2,3,5,15,10,30 minutes. Think about that. But quit spewing sh!t that’s untrue, we aren’t talking about opinions here only facts
moto469
8/16/2022 10:49am
Can we also get it added that the name of who ever is claiming the bike isn't exposed until after the deal is finalized? That would stop any BS from happening
ga_pike
8/16/2022 10:50am
I do hope the interview with the dealer discusses the current state of their relationship. It appears, from my understanding, that Brennan has lost the support of said dealer and has cut ties with Moto X Compound. What else did he have to lose by keeping the claim and getting the bike? I don't think his other sponsors would have dropped him had he gone through with it.
motodad312
8/16/2022 10:51am
280driver wrote:
You are arguing about things that don’t matter and can’t be proven either way. Just answer these questions. Did Brennan make the claim fairly/ by the...
You are arguing about things that don’t matter and can’t be proven either way. Just answer these questions.

Did Brennan make the claim fairly/ by the rules? Yes or no

Was Brennan persuaded to drop the claim by adult influencers? Yes or no

Did Brennan drop the claim due to this persuasion? Yes or no

The facts matter and the rest is noise. What’s the point of having a rule if it can’t be applied without it becoming a negative shit show. No one will ever claim another bike and that a shame.
All this does matter because you know all week he was going after mx sports the deegans tim cotter everyone latched on and wanted all those...
All this does matter because you know all week he was going after mx sports the deegans tim cotter everyone latched on and wanted all those peoples heads on a plate but now that his story doesn’t all add up everyone is saying it doesn’t matter , doesn’t matter . Peoples jobs and livelihoods were put into question and that’s bullshit
People's jobs and livelihood were put into question because of their own actions - not because of some 17 year old kid! Those people with jobs at stake should maybe take a hard look in the mirror. The rule is there - the kid exercised the rule. Him exercising his right to buy the bike, per the rule, puts no one's job at stake. Their own actions afterwards are what put their jobs at stake. And that goes all the way up to Star putting a bike on the track that shouldn't be on the track if they really want to keep their secrets. Shame on them and all of the bully's involved from the get go. The kid followed the rule and exercised it. That jeopardizes no one. You're the classic "let me blame everyone else for the mess I created" type person.
ML512
Fantasy
62nd
8/16/2022 10:52am
ga_pike wrote:
I do hope the interview with the dealer discusses the current state of their relationship. It appears, from my understanding, that Brennan has lost the support...
I do hope the interview with the dealer discusses the current state of their relationship. It appears, from my understanding, that Brennan has lost the support of said dealer and has cut ties with Moto X Compound. What else did he have to lose by keeping the claim and getting the bike? I don't think his other sponsors would have dropped him had he gone through with it.
Brennan stated in his interview with us that the only sponsor who has parted ways with him is the dealership.
8/16/2022 10:54am
jstein639 wrote:
The dealer was at Loretta’s I’m sure talk was going around the pits fast about the claim since it was the first time someone claimed a bike at Loretta’s since 2005
Crossup
8/16/2022 10:54am
Hasletjoe wrote:
Vital beats the Kardashians for drama!
For big asses?
budlong802
8/16/2022 10:55am
Brosho wrote:
Why did the AMA and MXSports allow anyone to harass or even talk to the kid in the first place? If someone puts in a claim...
Why did the AMA and MXSports allow anyone to harass or even talk to the kid in the first place? If someone puts in a claim, that person should be protected from harassment and threats immediately. It all should have been a very simple process according to the rule book.
Kid was man enough to walk around with 17,000 in cash without his parent I’m pretty sure he’s a man enough to talk about the claim...
Kid was man enough to walk around with 17,000 in cash without his parent I’m pretty sure he’s a man enough to talk about the claim to the Mike from AMA, Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan. Wasn’t Tim Cotter that let Deegan in the Room was Mike from the AMA and both Mike and Tim said Brian was only in the room for 2-5 mins and asked 2 questions and never threatened the kid . Just asked why he was claiming the bike and was he trying Defame them ‘ which if I was Brian I would want to ask also after seeing all the bullshit Brennan posted on social media about Haiden after Southwick

Mike from AMA and Cotter both said they let Deegan in the room. Take your advice and listen to the interviews
Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1481st
For the times we are living (social media and stuff) how fast news come and go this should be a precedent for the ages in a good way.

In history sometimes the Hero status comes later... So this could be a scenario like that... This is up to us fans and to the amateur racers.

It SUCKS that people says "it could damage your reputation" if you claim a bike...DAMN NO! it should be the other way around...

Good for every kid that works his ass off to be a factory rider.. but leave it out of amateur racing IMO, they could train, ride, test everything factory but when it comes to amateur racing, bring a bike you would not be afraid to lose...

That may be the very reason why so many amateur racers that had a lot of support are not having that much of succes, if amauteur racing was that "amateur" we may have more "surprising rides" for unknowns where you could see better "talent"

kage173
moto111 wrote:
The sad truth of this all, is that the AMA rule, is now worth shit.
Correct. Yamaha achieved exactly what they wanted to. If you claim our bikes we will make sure you are blackballed from the sport you love.

Now they can run any motor they want. They made an example out of Brennan
ga_pike
ML512 wrote:
Brennan stated in his interview with us that the only sponsor who has parted ways with him is the dealership.
Exactly. So even after he pulled his claim, the dealer still dropped him. It appears the claim was pulled because of the influence of the dealer, but getting dropped anyways... he might as well of kept the claim and gotten the bike.

As for my Moto X comment, I just noticed he no longer tags them in his posts and he was highly critical (negative) towards Matt... so I'm assuming that Brennan has cut ties with them.
DonM
8/16/2022 10:57am
Maybe Brennan was in the room 30mins including the time while they went to get the bike and round up Deegan etc. and then conversation was...
Maybe Brennan was in the room 30mins including the time while they went to get the bike and round up Deegan etc. and then conversation was only 5mins or so…….? Regardless, in the scheme of things I don’t really see how that is a focal point on this.
USA wrote:
What about Brian Deegan lying about not knowing there was a claim rule even though he has threatened to claim bikes in the past? Does that...
What about Brian Deegan lying about not knowing there was a claim rule even though he has threatened to claim bikes in the past? Does that mean Deegan is potentially lying about everything and you should focus on that?
When did he do that and who said that? Because none of the four in the room have said that he said that…
DonM
8/16/2022 11:01am
ML512 wrote:
ga_pike wrote:
Exactly. So even after he pulled his claim, the dealer still dropped him. It appears the claim was pulled because of the influence of the dealer...
Exactly. So even after he pulled his claim, the dealer still dropped him. It appears the claim was pulled because of the influence of the dealer, but getting dropped anyways... he might as well of kept the claim and gotten the bike.

As for my Moto X comment, I just noticed he no longer tags them in his posts and he was highly critical (negative) towards Matt... so I'm assuming that Brennan has cut ties with them.
Waiting for the dealer interview there have been some claims that the deal all along was that the bikes be returned after Walton….hopefully that is covered.
seth505
Fantasy
1284th
8/16/2022 11:03am
It's painfully obvious what happened here.

-If the kid was jealous or mad about prior events (Southwick) before the claim is irrelevant.
-If he got the money from working on motors or giving out hand jobs in alleys is irrelevant.
-Notice how everyone interviewed is "a big fan of the rule" until they are on the losing side of it and then they'll make sure it doesn't go through at all costs. It's a great rule but also the entire industry will shun you and you'll be run out of town. "it is what it is" BS
-Everyone seemed to agree that things got "aggressive" during talks but then when Walker is interviewed he says absolutely not, things never got nasty. Just outed himself as being the aggressive one.

You don't have to be an FBI investigator to piece it together.
280driver
8/16/2022 11:03am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 11:04am
jstein639 wrote:
The dealer was at Loretta’s I’m sure talk was going around the pits fast about the claim since it was the first time someone claimed a...
The dealer was at Loretta’s I’m sure talk was going around the pits fast about the claim since it was the first time someone claimed a bike at Loretta’s since 2005
No. Walker said the dealer called him while having dinner in town, not at the track. That means someone called or texted the dealer. Why would someone do that I wonder. Hmmmm. I thought you listened to the interview?
8/16/2022 11:12am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 11:14am
jstein639 wrote:
The dealer was at Loretta’s I’m sure talk was going around the pits fast about the claim since it was the first time someone claimed a...
280driver wrote:
No. Walker said the dealer called him while having dinner in town, not at the track. That means someone called or texted the dealer. Why would...
No. Walker said the dealer called him while having dinner in town, not at the track. That means someone called or texted the dealer. Why would someone do that I wonder. Hmmmm. I thought you listened to the interview?
The only one I haven’t listen to was walker one and will when I get home from work I listen to all of part 1 Brennan,Tim,Mike,Deegan and the just starting of part #2 with Donny didn’t make it to walker was late here in the east coast in Canada was around 130am in morning by time got through part 1 and then only donnys part in part 2
ga_pike
8/16/2022 11:12am
jstein639 wrote:
280driver wrote:
No. Walker said the dealer called him while having dinner in town, not at the track. That means someone called or texted the dealer. Why would...
I thought Matt stated the dealer called him while he (Matt) was headed to dinner in town, inferring the dealer was still on site at the track. Maybe I misunderstood.
lappedrider
8/16/2022 11:17am
I can’t get past the meeting in whatever room happened with however many people were there for however many minutes. By all accounts it happened. By all accounts it was adults asking a minor questions that didn’t need to be asked. Just the fact that this happened was the beginning of the pressure campaign. And it was inappropriate.

Post a reply to: The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

The Latest