The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

TahoeVetMX
8/16/2022 8:13am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 8:30am
ctbale wrote:
The kid never folded from the "3 adults" pressure. Never folded from Matt Walker/Donnie Luce Pressure. He folded from his dads pressure after Sponcer Criss convinced...
The kid never folded from the "3 adults" pressure. Never folded from Matt Walker/Donnie Luce Pressure. He folded from his dads pressure after Sponcer Criss convinced his dad. Too bad, I would have loved to have watch Brennan's youtube videos.
My girlfriend who knows nothing about MX watched all of the interviews. She also said how amazing it is that a 17yr old came off more honest and levelheaded than all of the adults! Now, we all watch as those same adults who claim he did nothing wrong take everything away from him? I am watching the situation closely as are many...............
280driver
8/16/2022 8:25am
Why do I have to be part of the Deegan camp to have this opinion. I’m so far away from moto sense in the USA I...
Why do I have to be part of the Deegan camp to have this opinion. I’m so far away from moto sense in the USA I live in North Ontario Canada and don’t own a Yamaha don’t work for Yamaha. Just a truck and bus mechanic . I’m pissed off because everyone went head hunting and wanted the deegans head and Tim Cotter head and wanted mx sports done as promoter that’s was how this was going befor everyone heard their sides of the story and it pisses me off now. A lot what Brennan said is untrue and so what the engine builder said was untrue and misleading and they wanted Tim Cotter and the Deegans to be hung out and dragged through the mud
How do you “know” a lot of what Brennan and his engine builder said was untrue and misleading. Did you stumble upon a new source with an audio recording of all the actual discussions? No, you did not so your beliefs are no better than anyone else’s regarding motives etc. Stick to the facts. Kid made claim. Kid was pressured on all sides to drop claim. Kid dropped claim due to said pressure.
8/16/2022 8:30am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 8:31am
Why do I have to be part of the Deegan camp to have this opinion. I’m so far away from moto sense in the USA I...
Why do I have to be part of the Deegan camp to have this opinion. I’m so far away from moto sense in the USA I live in North Ontario Canada and don’t own a Yamaha don’t work for Yamaha. Just a truck and bus mechanic . I’m pissed off because everyone went head hunting and wanted the deegans head and Tim Cotter head and wanted mx sports done as promoter that’s was how this was going befor everyone heard their sides of the story and it pisses me off now. A lot what Brennan said is untrue and so what the engine builder said was untrue and misleading and they wanted Tim Cotter and the Deegans to be hung out and dragged through the mud
280driver wrote:
How do you “know” a lot of what Brennan and his engine builder said was untrue and misleading. Did you stumble upon a new source with...
How do you “know” a lot of what Brennan and his engine builder said was untrue and misleading. Did you stumble upon a new source with an audio recording of all the actual discussions? No, you did not so your beliefs are no better than anyone else’s regarding motives etc. Stick to the facts. Kid made claim. Kid was pressured on all sides to drop claim. Kid dropped claim due to said pressure.
I listen to the ones ML put up. Brennan said was Only him Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan In the room and was 30 mins . Tim cotter Brian Deegan and head ama ref Mike all saying was only 3-5 mins and wasn’t just Tim,Brian andBrennan in that room the head of ama was in the room also . The engine builder called a week befor Loretta’s and talked to Mike from AMA about claiming bike. But in the cooksey interview Derek’s said he had no clue about the claim but AMA saying Derek knew and called a week befor about it
280driver
8/16/2022 8:38am
I listen to the ones ML put up. Brennan said was Only him Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan In the room and was 30 mins...
I listen to the ones ML put up. Brennan said was Only him Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan In the room and was 30 mins . Tim cotter Brian Deegan and head ama ref Mike all saying was only 3-5 mins and wasn’t just Tim,Brian andBrennan in that room the head of ama was in the room also . The engine builder called a week befor Loretta’s and talked to Mike from AMA about claiming bike. But in the cooksey interview Derek’s said he had no clue about the claim but AMA saying Derek knew and called a week befor about it
That’s my point. Each person involved has their own perspective. We’ll never really know exactly what happened so just stick to what can’t be disputed. Everyone agrees he made the claim. Everyone agrees he was influenced to drop the claim. Everyone agrees he dropped the claim due to that influence.

The Shop

TahoeVetMX
8/16/2022 8:40am
280driver wrote:
How do you “know” a lot of what Brennan and his engine builder said was untrue and misleading. Did you stumble upon a new source with...
I listen to the ones ML put up. Brennan said was Only him Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan In the room and was 30 mins...
Just FYI yes, the engine builder did admit he did not know anything about it until Brennan said he was going to do it prior to going to the race. It does not matter if he then started doing research or not.

Let's be clear. I could had given the money to the kid. It does not matter where he got the money! Maybe, he got a bank loan. It does not matter. The rules do not say you must show proof of where you got the money. It simply does not matter.
8/16/2022 8:45am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 8:45am
280driver wrote:
That’s my point. Each person involved has their own perspective. We’ll never really know exactly what happened so just stick to what can’t be disputed. Everyone...
That’s my point. Each person involved has their own perspective. We’ll never really know exactly what happened so just stick to what can’t be disputed. Everyone agrees he made the claim. Everyone agrees he was influenced to drop the claim. Everyone agrees he dropped the claim due to that influence.
I totally agree I just didn’t like how at starting week everyone here and was most wanted to hang Cotter The Deegans and Mx Sports abd I don’t think that was fair befor everyone sides came out and people still making post about how Brennan should take legal action against everyone but if you listen to all interviews it’s coming light the kid was misleading and so was the engine builder on the way events happen
deez387
8/16/2022 8:45am
280driver wrote:
Again, who cares? I think you can take away from all of it that each individual in this minus maybe, Mike Burkeen, has not fully told the truth about all this. Bottom line, kid went to claim a bike per the rules, and left without one because of whatever transpired. The kid was black balled.
TXDirt
8/16/2022 8:56am
I’m sure that Deegan, Walker, Yamaha, and Cotter all told the kid the bike was just a pile of junk and who would want this ol bike, it’s just junk anyways.

Upon being informed that said bike was just a pile of junk, the kid pulled his claim.

He should be thanking Deegan, Walker, Cotter, and Yamaha for informing him he was about to buy a pile of garbage. They just saved the kid $17,000.

Bravo guys! Well done!

We all owe you a debt of gratitude for informing this kid with information he previously didn’t know. For taking time out of your busy schedule at LL’s to have a face to face meeting explaining the mistake he was about to make.

Classy gentleman!! Each and every one of you!

You may not be the hero’s we wanted! But darn it you are the hero’s we needed!

I salute you!
8/16/2022 9:07am
Caller on Pulp MX last night said it best:

“Star Yamaha got caught with their pants down”

Thanks for getting the story ML.

Ghost

bns99121
Fantasy
606th
8/16/2022 9:12am
This is dumb, Star needs to change out the parts that they are worried about hurting their sponsorship deals and just give the kid the bike for free. Problem solved
bents
Fantasy
710th
8/16/2022 9:16am
Like many of you, I would bottom line this to say that the kid shouldn't have been called into the room with Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan on his own. That should not have been part of the process whatsoever. Matt Walker, Yamaha, and all the other pressure being exerted on the kid to not go through with this claim, none of it passes the smell test, except for the AMA official who by all accounts was being impartial and professional. Church and state need to remain separate here. MXSports=promoter, and the AMA=executes the rules as written. One should have nothing to do with the other. Deegan should not even have had a chance to speak to the kid, period. The power imbalance should be obvious to everyone.

fourfourone
8/16/2022 9:19am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 9:20am
Everyone on Vital...
Brennan is a mature, nice well spoken kid.

You guys put WAY to much stock in his side of the story.

8/16/2022 9:19am
280driver wrote:
Maybe Brennan was in the room 30mins including the time while they went to get the bike and round up Deegan etc. and then conversation was only 5mins or so…….? Regardless, in the scheme of things I don’t really see how that is a focal point on this.
DonM
8/16/2022 9:24am
280driver wrote:
That’s my point. Each person involved has their own perspective. We’ll never really know exactly what happened so just stick to what can’t be disputed. Everyone...
I totally agree I just didn’t like how at starting week everyone here and was most wanted to hang Cotter The Deegans and Mx Sports abd...
I totally agree I just didn’t like how at starting week everyone here and was most wanted to hang Cotter The Deegans and Mx Sports abd I don’t think that was fair befor everyone sides came out and people still making post about how Brennan should take legal action against everyone but if you listen to all interviews it’s coming light the kid was misleading and so was the engine builder on the way events happen
You can't fight the mob mentality... the mob will turn on you....The kid should have gotten the bike...who influenced him is somewhat clearer after the videos so far...it wasn't Cotter, Deegen or Burkeen....it will be interesting to see what the dealer has to say...hopefully it helps people see things more clearly...
8/16/2022 9:26am
280driver wrote:
Maybe Brennan was in the room 30mins including the time while they went to get the bike and round up Deegan etc. and then conversation was...
Maybe Brennan was in the room 30mins including the time while they went to get the bike and round up Deegan etc. and then conversation was only 5mins or so…….? Regardless, in the scheme of things I don’t really see how that is a focal point on this.
Brennan totally lied and said was just him and Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in room and never mention Mike from the ama was I’m That room in all his interviews and that was Mike that let Brian Deegan in
ctbale
8/16/2022 9:35am
ctbale wrote:
The kid never folded from the "3 adults" pressure. Never folded from Matt Walker/Donnie Luce Pressure. He folded from his dads pressure after Sponcer Criss convinced...
The kid never folded from the "3 adults" pressure. Never folded from Matt Walker/Donnie Luce Pressure. He folded from his dads pressure after Sponcer Criss convinced his dad. Too bad, I would have loved to have watch Brennan's youtube videos.
280driver wrote:
I would image the pressure from all the adults had built up a ton by the time his Dad finally told him his future sponsor opportunities...
I would image the pressure from all the adults had built up a ton by the time his Dad finally told him his future sponsor opportunities would be ruined if I didn’t drop it. I can’t imagine that kind of pressure/influence when I was his age.
Good point. It was like three blows, his dads's finished him off.
dcg141
8/16/2022 9:35am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 9:38am
Walker by is own admission broke rule 7. The dealer did also but in not sure there has been an interview yet with him. Everyone else stayed far enough away from directly telling him to drop the claim to be clear of any of the rules. Going forward the AMA and MX Sports need to make it clear that the rule is there and if you have something you don't want claimed, don't put it on the bike. Trainers, sponsors, teams need to made aware of rule 7 and breaking it won't be tolerated. No rider needs to be vilified for doing what is their right to do. The reasons why don't matter. If I was deciding on this I would ban the Walker and the dealer for one year. I would make it known to everyone going forward to not bring anything to a race you don't want claimed.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
8/16/2022 9:37am
How the heck is the kid going to "defame" the deegans?

Like what kind of question is that?
8/16/2022 9:39am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 9:40am
mx 219 wrote:
How the heck is the kid going to "defame" the deegans?

Like what kind of question is that?
What would you be thinking when the kid that posted those things about you’re kid saying all those rude things about haiden then try’s to run your family name through the mud I would be thinking the same as Brian did
280driver
8/16/2022 9:40am
Brennan totally lied and said was just him and Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in room and never mention Mike from the ama was I’m That...
Brennan totally lied and said was just him and Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in room and never mention Mike from the ama was I’m That room in all his interviews and that was Mike that let Brian Deegan in
You are arguing about things that don’t matter and can’t be proven either way. Just answer these questions.

Did Brennan make the claim fairly/ by the rules? Yes or no

Was Brennan persuaded to drop the claim by adult influencers? Yes or no

Did Brennan drop the claim due to this persuasion? Yes or no

The facts matter and the rest is noise. What’s the point of having a rule if it can’t be applied without it becoming a negative shit show. No one will ever claim another bike and that a shame.
8/16/2022 9:46am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 9:56am
Brennan totally lied and said was just him and Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in room and never mention Mike from the ama was I’m That...
280driver wrote:
You are arguing about things that don’t matter and can’t be proven either way. Just answer these questions. Did Brennan make the claim fairly/ by the...
You are arguing about things that don’t matter and can’t be proven either way. Just answer these questions.

The facts matter and the rest is noise. What’s the point of having a rule if it can’t be applied without it becoming a negative shit show. No one will ever claim another bike and that a shame.
All this does matter because you know all week he was going after mx sports the deegans tim cotter everyone latched on and wanted all those peoples heads on a plate but now that his story doesn’t all add up everyone is saying it doesn’t matter , doesn’t matter . Peoples jobs and livelihoods were put into question and that’s bullshit
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
8/16/2022 9:48am
ML512 wrote:
Update: Here is part one and part two of what will likely be a three part feature. Here's our interviews with Brennan Schofield, Tim Cotter (MX...
Update: Here is part one and part two of what will likely be a three part feature. Here's our interviews with Brennan Schofield, Tim Cotter (MX Sports), Mike Burkeen (AMA), and Brian Deegan in part one. Part two holds Donnie Luce and Matt Walker.

Part 1 Link: https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/The-Truth-of-the-Claim-Against-…

Part two will launch in a bit with Donnie Luce of Yamaha and Matt Walker (MotoX Compound).

Part 2 Link: https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/The-Truth-of-the-Claim-Against-…

Part three will be tomorrow with the sponsor / bike support of Brennan Schofield and possibly another guest or two...
Part 3 Link: https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/The-Claim-Against-Haiden-Deegan…

Listen to it all carefully.

A few standouts to me:

Brennan does admit that there was an offer of sort from Yamaha of engines to replace so damaged ones he had along with an opportunity to test the bike at Goat Farm.

Burkeen states that the AMA rules relating to a claim will only penalize another party if they counter claim a bike to interfere or if a rider is directly threatened by the claimed party. Negotiating a deal to receive some level of support in return for dropping a claim is NOT against the rules.

Brennan also admits that he actually doesn't know if his bike sponsor / dealer was threatened by Yamaha, it was assumed.

Cotter and Burkeen speak very highly of dealing with Brennan and his handling of the situation.

Cotter and Burkeen both speak about the engine builder trying to be involved a decent bit.

Cotter and Burkeen both state that they were told his parents "weren't around" and in retrospective they both wish they would've asked further on this.

Both admit to not realizing that Brennan was under 18 in the moment.

Burkeen states he didn't deny the kid the ability to make the claim without his parents around as he didn't want to run down the clock and risk the kid not being able to make the claim against the bike. He absolutely didn't want to interfere with the process and have it look like the AMA / MX Sports would deny a legitimate bike claim.

Cotter, Burkeen, and Deegan all match up with a much shorter time line for the conversation with Brennan in the office. Their versions of Deegan's questions all match Brennan's.

Deegan has proof of very negative comments that Brennan has posted on Social Media about Haiden and was roughly aware of who he was due to these comments.
ML, you are now the top journalist in motocross. Well done.
jstein639
8/16/2022 9:49am
280driver wrote:
You are arguing about things that don’t matter and can’t be proven either way. Just answer these questions. Did Brennan make the claim fairly/ by the...

All this does matter because you know all week he was going after mx sports the deegans tim cotter everyone latched on and wanted all those...
All this does matter because you know all week he was going after mx sports the deegans tim cotter everyone latched on and wanted all those peoples heads on a plate but now that his story doesn’t all add up everyone is saying it doesn’t matter , doesn’t matter . Peoples jobs and livelihoods were put into question and that’s bullshit
In your mind, why would it matter at all if Brennan lied? Because it's immoral to claim a bike for a mean purpose?

That's an entirely separate question from whether the claim was withdrawn voluntarily which is what most people here are angry about.
deez387
8/16/2022 9:52am
I see some posters on this topic are just so hung up on Brennan having a grudge against the Deegans, the lying from his side, etc. Just cannot see through it all that many are lying and end of the day, there was shady shit going on and a rule was not allowed to be followed through. I guess I dont understand why that is not the main point of emphasis on this whole thing for some of you...you just want to see that the poor Deegan's were dragged, or poor Tim Cotter, or poor Matt Walker. Do dumb/shady shit and you deserve to be dragged. And if you care to go through any history of said people, you will see much more shit they have been apart of and got away with. Its a shit situation and it really looks bad for all parties here
DA498
8/16/2022 9:56am
Zoom In and look at pic you can see it’s his account and he did it [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/16/564242/s1200_4566240A_9DCC_435A_B439_210C045DD6CE.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/16/564241/s1200_C8C289F9_7562_4974_975A_5555EC535732.jpg[/img]
Zoom In and look at pic you can see it’s his account and he did it

Your absolutely fixated on this teenager Instagram BS and especially this one, like its some kind of smoking gun. Its not. People are on board because he got screwed not asking if he was a dick to Haiden on Instagram.

dedi684
8/16/2022 9:59am
I thought I read about some expensive necklace like $10k in this beef. Or was it another incident this past spring?
DownSouth
8/16/2022 10:05am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 10:06am
Where is part 3!!

I must hear the stunning conclusion of "As The Berm Turns".

I am pretty sure in the shocking cliffhanger it will be revealed that Brennan did not file the claim, it was his long lost evil twin who set this all in motion.

Post a reply to: The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

The Latest