Important Information and Who We Are
This website is not intended for children, and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
The Data We Collect About You
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect the following personal data about you:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, and date of birth.
- Contact Data includes email address, mailing address, and telephone number, if any are collected.
- Transaction Data includes data we collect when you make a purchase from us or agree to legal documents on the sites.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, browser type, the device you are using, and how you arrived at our sites.
- Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or order history.
- Membership data includes data you provide when registering for one of our online platforms or subsequently provide on the site in forum posts or other user-generated content channels.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our sites or apps.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from our third parties and us and your communication preferences.
We also collect and use aggregate and anonymous data through an annual survey that you may, but are not obligated, to participate in. This data may be based on your original personal data, but we remove identifiers and information that can be used to, directly or indirectly, identify you. As such, the data is no longer considered personal data and we may use it without limitation.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offenses.
If You Fail to Provide Personal Data
Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us, but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
How is Your Personal Data Collected?
We use different methods to collect personal information from and about you, including when you:
- Contact us with a question or seek customer service.
- Sign-up to be a member
- Make a purchase.
- Post content to our forums.
- Provide us with feedback.
- Request marketing information to be sent to you.
- Visit one of our sites or mobile applications and our systems collect information about you through server logs, cookies, and other technology.
- Complete one of our surveys.
Third Parties or Publicly Available Sources:
- We may receive analytics and advertising data about you from the sources listed below. Please use the following links for more information about how these third parties collect and use personal data: Google.
How We Use Your Personal Data
We collect your data so that we can:
- Provide you with and maintain our websites and apps.
- Improve your browsing experience on our sites.
- Notify you about changes to our sites, services, or legal documentation.
- Allow you to participate in interactive features on the sites and apps, such as forums.
- Provide customer service.
- Respond to any communications we receive from you.
- Process any orders you place with us.
- Email you with special offers on other products and services that we think you might like.
- Comply with any legal notices that we receive that involve you.
- Analyze and improve our websites and apps.
- Address, fix, and prevent technical issues.
We do not sell any of your personal data. To be able to run our business, we share data with third parties from the following categories:
- Third parties, which are involved in processing purchases – for example, payment processors.
- Third parties, which provide professional services to us – for example, advertising partners, accountants, lawyers, web hosting providers, web designers, etc.
- Law enforcement and other government authorities, such as if we were to be audited for taxes or receive a legal notice requesting that we identify someone in our forum from law enforcement.
Purposes for Which We Will Use Your Personal Data
Our purpose and legal basis for collecting and processing your personal data are as follows.
Type of Data
Lawful Basis for Processing
To register you as a new member.
We use membership data for the purpose of registering and approving you as a member where you may communicate with others. Our legal basis for collecting your registration information is to enter into a contract regarding your access to member areas of our sites and apps. We also have a legitimate interest in using the information to give you access to the forums where you may participate in group discussions on topics related to our websites and apps.
To respond to communications with you.
We process this data so we can respond to any communications you send us. We have a legitimate interest in this use since your expectation when you send us this data is to receive a response to your communication, our response is lawful and necessary, and this use does not impact your fundamental rights to privacy or constitute a high-risk activity.
To process your orders and complete your transactions.
We use your order data to process any orders you make with us. Our legal basis for processing such data is to perform a contractual transaction.
To understand how visitors arrive at our site and apps so we can improve our published offerings.
To provide members access to member areas and remember member preferences.
Our purpose for collecting profile data is to give you access to member areas and remember your preferences. The legal basis for this data collection is to perform a contract and legitimate interest in that you agree to our Terms and provide us with the profile data with the intent of it being used to participate on the site in the form of forum discussions and such.
To analyze the performance of our online marketing efforts.
Our purpose in using cookie data is to analyze the performance of our online properties and marketing efforts. We will ask for your consent where required before collecting personal data from you.
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time.
Where you opt-out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product purchase or other transactions.
Change of Purpose
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
How We Share Personal Information
- Third-Party Links and Websites: Our Sites may contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any data to these websites.
- Disclosures Required by Law: We may be required to disclose your data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet law enforcement requirements. We may be under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation or to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements.
We make forums and other areas available to users. Please remember that any information that you disclose in these areas becomes public information, and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
Sale of Business
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know.
They will only process your personal data on our instructions, and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
How Long Will You Use My Personal Data?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements. We may retain your personal data for a longer period in the event of a complaint or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation in respect to our relationship with you.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or other requirements.
- Purchases: We retain your purchase information for a period of seven years to meet our tax record obligations.
- Communications: We retain any data associated with your communication to use for the length of the communication exchange and then for another four years until the statute of limitations runs on any potential legal claim associated with such communications.
- Survey Data: We maintain the anonymous data collected in surveys permanently. If you provide a name and contact data when participating in a survey, we will hold the information for 12 months and then delete the information.
Your Legal Rights
As the subject of the personal data, you have rights related to the personal data that we hold about you. At any time, you have the right to:
Receive the personal data we have about you
Correct the personal data we have about you.
Delete the personal data we have about you.
Object to how your personal data is used.
Request that we restrict the processing of your personal data.
Transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party.
No Fee Usually Required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we could refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What We May Need From You
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time Limit to Respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it could take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Your California Privacy Rights
We comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. As part of the compliance process, we may be required to disclose whatever information we have for you to a copyright holder who has submitted a complaint to us as a matter of law.
Vital Media Network is the controller and responsible for your personal data.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal address: Vital Media Network, Inc., c/o Brad McDonald, 3002 Dow Avenue, Suite 150, Tustin, CA 92612
- Phone Number: (949) 478-4820
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (https://ico.org.uk/). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO, so please contact us in the first instance.
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.