The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

Kmiller125
8/16/2022 6:02am
Of all the interviews done, Brennan and Harris interviews are much more in line with one another, while the others all have very different accounts of the events. I did feel more genuine about Cotter and Burkeen. Luce and walker look and sound so far off from each other and it’s still odd that Burkeen said Donnie was involved in getting his sons bike. Either way it’s clear that Walker met with the sponsor at the gate and popped off about getting license etc pulled, not sure if Luce influenced that but this whole story and the crime is (walker,Luce and sponsor). The others seperated themselves very well from the events and timing of the rescinding part.
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
8/16/2022 6:02am
OMG enough with this stupid claim. The claim never went thru.

BUT. I do think this rule has a major flaw. So if someone claims your bike, you HAVE to sell it. No disputing essentially. But if you dispute it and don't want to give up your bike that MAY or MAY NOT have "sEcReT pArTs" in it, you get your results disqualified AND banned from racing for 1 year. That seems like complete BS. I wouldn't want my bike taken from me for the time I've put into it. It would take weeks to rebuild any fully modded race bike. Its a big waste of time.
8/16/2022 6:13am
TXDirt wrote:
Why does Daddy Deegan need to know why the kid wants the bike? Maybe he just wants to melt it down. Maybe he wants to ride...
Why does Daddy Deegan need to know why the kid wants the bike? Maybe he just wants to melt it down. Maybe he wants to ride it on the farm. Who knows and who cares. Would any answer of gotten Deegan to back off and say “oh okay. Here is the bike”.

The whole thing of having Deegan and Cotter interrogate the person making the claim is ridiculous.

Leave it to MX Sports and the AMA to make something that should be very simple and turn it into a total shit show.

How the heck does Walker make it into the middle of this? It’s comical how this was handled.

A claim was made. The money was paid.

End of story.

But not end of story….
VRR7 wrote:
Because of Brenan's social media statements and attacks on Haiden basically showing his jealously and envy. Brian know the real reason ! Brenan is a pos...
Because of Brenan's social media statements and attacks on Haiden basically showing his jealously and envy. Brian know the real reason ! Brenan is a pos.

Brian should claim Brenan's bike next race , show the little squirt what it feels like to remove all development work on you personals race bike. You Tube show all the engine builders modifications. Me think it will be more adverse if the same happened to him. I doubt Brian would waste any time offering that lesson to Brenan. Pretty much a low class move in any event !
Which brings me to my next point… Don’t do crack!
8/16/2022 6:14am
Richy wrote:
I get where both of you guys are coming from, both dudes whose posts I like to read and am generally all in with 👍 I...
I get where both of you guys are coming from, both dudes whose posts I like to read and am generally all in with 👍 I think the Deegan angle clearly adds to the volume, you're right, you only have to see the mud slinging and name calling any time his name pops up to know how many assholes there are desperate for a chance to shit on the Deegan's. That said, it is still and would still be a big deal if it was Romano last year and it was handled as badly / weirdly as this was.

Also, all the ML love is justified haha, you're bossing the media side of Moto, and still would be even if you had some worthwhile competition.
Couple days ago everyone wanted to hang Tim Cotter The Deegans and Mx Sports . I thinks it’s bulls**t now after hearing ML interviews with everyone I think Tim Cortter Brian Deegan and Mx sports didn’t do anything wrong

The Shop

Huevos
8/16/2022 6:15am
nrosso391 wrote:
OMG enough with this stupid claim. The claim never went thru. BUT. I do think this rule has a major flaw. So if someone claims your...

BUT. I do think this rule has a major flaw. So if someone claims your bike, you HAVE to sell it. No disputing essentially. But if you dispute it and don't want to give up your bike that MAY or MAY NOT have "sEcReT pArTs" in it, you get your results disqualified AND banned from racing for 1 year. That seems like complete BS. I wouldn't want my bike taken from me for the time I've put into it. It would take weeks to rebuild any fully modded race bike. Its a big waste of time.
Numb nuts. That’s the WHOLE POINT of the rule. Don’t bring a fully modded out race bike to an amateur race. It’s intended to keep a level playing field so that no racer has an unfair advantage of a bike that most of the competition can’t afford. It’s amateur racing not pro.
8/16/2022 6:20am
nrosso391 wrote:
OMG enough with this stupid claim. The claim never went thru. BUT. I do think this rule has a major flaw. So if someone claims your...

Huevos wrote:
Numb nuts. That’s the WHOLE POINT of the rule. Don’t bring a fully modded out race bike to an amateur race. It’s intended to keep a...
Numb nuts. That’s the WHOLE POINT of the rule. Don’t bring a fully modded out race bike to an amateur race. It’s intended to keep a level playing field so that no racer has an unfair advantage of a bike that most of the competition can’t afford. It’s amateur racing not pro.
I agree with the rule 100% what I don’t like is how Brennan had a motive to claim the bike over jealousy and hate as you can see in his social media post after southwick and then trying drag the Deegans and Tim Cotter through the mud when things went south and paint them in a bad light . They had everyone here wanting Deegan banned for a year and Tim Cotter fired which is bullshit
Huevos
8/16/2022 6:26am
nrosso391 wrote:

Huevos wrote:
Numb nuts. That’s the WHOLE POINT of the rule. Don’t bring a fully modded out race bike to an amateur race. It’s intended to keep a...
I agree with the rule 100% what I don’t like is how Brennan had a motive to claim the bike over jealousy and hate as you...
I agree with the rule 100% what I don’t like is how Brennan had a motive to claim the bike over jealousy and hate as you can see in his social media post after southwick and then trying drag the Deegans and Tim Cotter through the mud when things went south and paint them in a bad light . They had everyone here wanting Deegan banned for a year and Tim Cotter fired which is bullshit
Not sure what it is you're hearing/reading that exonerates them both. They both interfered heavily when neither had any right to do so. It doesnt matter if Brennan is the biggest tool out at the races. He made a lawful claim that goes by the rules.
280driver
8/16/2022 6:38am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 6:41am
nrosso391 wrote:

Huevos wrote:
I agree with the rule 100% what I don’t like is how Brennan had a motive to claim the bike over jealousy and hate as you...
Who cares what the motive was. The kids a competitor. Hannah and Howerton hated each other. Doesn’t matter. Stick to the facts. The facts show he made the claim by the book and then was “persuaded” by adults with power over his future to drop the claim.
8/16/2022 6:51am
Huevos wrote:
Huevos wrote:
Not sure what it is you're hearing/reading that exonerates them both. They both interfered heavily when neither had any right to do so. It doesnt matter...
Not sure what it is you're hearing/reading that exonerates them both. They both interfered heavily when neither had any right to do so. It doesnt matter if Brennan is the biggest tool out at the races. He made a lawful claim that goes by the rules.
Did you listen to the interviews Tim Cotter was suppose to be working with the person claiming the bike even the head ama guy said that’s how it works Tim Cotter would be involved in the claim . And it wasn’t just Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan in the room with the kid it was also Mike from the ama also he was the one that allowed Brian in the Room and it wasn’t 30 minutes was only 3-5 mins all 3 have said .
NJKawi913
8/16/2022 6:52am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 6:58am
This whole ordeal further proves how asinine youth motocross has become. Way too many people involved in the success or failure of children riding motorcycles. Trainers, promoters, officials, factory reps, mechanics, parents, sponsors all looking out for their own interests.

Brennan also seems very level headed and from the small interview I think he's way more mature than I was at 17. Hopefully he takes this a big learning experience, and how to navigate the industry if and when he go's pro.
kage173
8/16/2022 6:57am
NJKawi913 wrote:
This whole ordeal further proves how asinine youth motocross has become. Way too many people involved in the success or failure of children riding motorcycles. Trainers...
This whole ordeal further proves how asinine youth motocross has become. Way too many people involved in the success or failure of children riding motorcycles. Trainers, promoters, officials, factory reps, mechanics, parents, sponsors all looking out for their own interests.

Brennan also seems very level headed and from the small interview I think he's way more mature than I was at 17. Hopefully he takes this a big learning experience, and how to navigate the industry if and when he go's pro.
I couldnt agree mire. If only there was a way to limit the money injected into the youth amateur classes....got any ideas?
R VanKamp77
8/16/2022 7:00am
I hope someone claims my bike every. single. race.
Brosho
8/16/2022 7:04am
Why did the AMA and MXSports allow anyone to harass or even talk to the kid in the first place? If someone puts in a claim, that person should be protected from harassment and threats immediately. It all should have been a very simple process according to the rule book.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
679th
8/16/2022 7:07am
1) Cotter made a mistake by having Deegan in the room with the Brennan.
2) Deegan spread the word, likely “WTH, what can you do about it” to Star, walker , Yamaha, anyone that could apply influence to undo the claim.
3) At some point, the dealer may not have been threatened, but likely pressured by “WTH” calls from Walker, Deegan, or Star. I find it unlikely that the dealer heard about it in a unheated matter of fact way. People were pissed.
4) it is understandable- but not good- that the dealer would feel this reflected badly on him at minimum and told Brennan to drop the claim if he still wants his sponsorship.
5) A claim rule that can’t be used without a rider getting blackballed is not a claiming rule. Catch-22.

After the pulp whitewash it is good ML has transparency.

MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
8/16/2022 7:21am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 7:51am
TbonesPop wrote:
So, Matt Walker trains the son of Brennan's sponsor dealership's owner (who reps Yamaha bikes).......And Matt Walker was hob knobbing with Donnie Luce from Yamaha when...
So, Matt Walker trains the son of Brennan's sponsor dealership's owner (who reps Yamaha bikes).......And Matt Walker was hob knobbing with Donnie Luce from Yamaha when they pulled Brennan into their pit to chastise him over his claim decision, in which Walker went on to go batshit crazy and threaten to kick the engine builders ass.....and then the sponsor dealer's owner pulls Brennan's dad into a one on one discussion at the same time as the Walker bat shit crazy rant, then Brennan's dad has some miraculous epiphany then tells Brennan to just drop it - which he then does. And then the dealership drops Brennan's sponsorship......and Yet 100% of the remaining sponsors for Brennan have stayed with him through all of this.

If some of you remaining dick fucks can't put 2+2 together, then there ain't no hope for ya at this point.

This isn't rocket science. Walker is lying. Luce is lying. The Sponsor dealership is lying. I don't think Cotter lied in his interview, I'm just not convinced he didn't omit some things he knew in order to cover some things up. If Deegan had anything to do with it, it was very much behind the scenes (if he had anything at all to do with it).
Yeti831 wrote:
I think Cotter and the AMA tried the do right.

Walker, Yamaha and the dealer need to be under fire for this.
Here’s the rub…. THEY are the ones that need to hold Star/Yamaha accountable - and here is the head AMA guys take:

And they are willfully ignoring this part of the rule:

So now here we are.

Did the AMA and MxSport botch this up front? Appears now that they didn’t.

Will they botch the resolution of this by not holding Yamaha/Star/The Riders circle to account?

The bike didn’t leave with Brennan. Hours and hours of heat and questioning are as good as explicit circumventing in my opinion.
45ACP
8/16/2022 7:23am
Utah Moto wrote:
How dumb do the deegans have to be to know you have an enemy coming after you AND STILL putting a 100k bike out there. They...
How dumb do the deegans have to be to know you have an enemy coming after you AND STILL putting a 100k bike out there. They should have got everything they deserved
Hey dumbass, the Deegans don't own the bike. Star Yamaha provides the bikes to their riders. Your hate and jealousy is blatantly obvious.
nrosso391 wrote:

The claim rule exists so you don't have an outrageously priced bike, but thats been discussed. Sure it would take you along time to get another bike built to your requirements. How long do you think it would take Star? A day or 2? Deegan wouldn't be building another bike to replace the one claimed, Star would.
Brosho wrote:
Why did the AMA and MXSports allow anyone to harass or even talk to the kid in the first place? If someone puts in a claim...
Why did the AMA and MXSports allow anyone to harass or even talk to the kid in the first place? If someone puts in a claim, that person should be protected from harassment and threats immediately. It all should have been a very simple process according to the rule book.
Kid was man enough to walk around with 17,000 in cash without his parent I’m pretty sure he’s a man enough to talk about the claim to the Mike from AMA, Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan. Wasn’t Tim Cotter that let Deegan in the Room was Mike from the AMA and both Mike and Tim said Brian was only in the room for 2-5 mins and asked 2 questions and never threatened the kid . Just asked why he was claiming the bike and was he trying Defame them ‘ which if I was Brian I would want to ask also after seeing all the bullshit Brennan posted on social media about Haiden after Southwick

deez387
8/16/2022 7:39am
C&C338 , you part of the Deegan camp or just not a fan of Brennan? Trying to figure out why you are having such issues with the plain and simple FACT that Brennan was black balled in this whole ordeal. Even if he had it out for the Deegans (many do because of how they act) or his engine builder was behind it, it is all irrelevant. He did everything correct for the so called claim and still did not walk out of LL with the bike he went to claim. If you and sore loser cannot see the issues with all that....im not sure there is much for hope for you in understanding how big of an issue this is for not only Amateur MX scene, but MX sports, AMA, rules (why have them) and figure heads in this sport. It is beyond ridiculous.
280driver
8/16/2022 7:44am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 7:49am
Brosho wrote:
Why did the AMA and MXSports allow anyone to harass or even talk to the kid in the first place? If someone puts in a claim...
Kid was man enough to walk around with 17,000 in cash without his parent I’m pretty sure he’s a man enough to talk about the claim...
Kid was man enough to walk around with 17,000 in cash without his parent I’m pretty sure he’s a man enough to talk about the claim to the Mike from AMA, Tim Cotter and Brian Deegan. Wasn’t Tim Cotter that let Deegan in the Room was Mike from the AMA and both Mike and Tim said Brian was only in the room for 2-5 mins and asked 2 questions and never threatened the kid . Just asked why he was claiming the bike and was he trying Defame them ‘ which if I was Brian I would want to ask also after seeing all the bullshit Brennan posted on social media about Haiden after Southwick

It doesn’t matter. That “bullshit” post was from 17 year old kid that felt he got aggressively passed by a rider on a significantly better bike. I get it. That added fuel to his desire to make the claim. He made the claim fairly and was then influenced by adults that had power over his future to drop the claim.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
8/16/2022 7:50am
Richy wrote:
edit: to Sully I don't know man, I can see a lot of mini dads taking the same action as Brian, you're gonna be pissed off...
edit: to Sully
I don't know man, I can see a lot of mini dads taking the same action as Brian, you're gonna be pissed off if it happens especially if it feels like a personal attack, and I've got no hate toward Haiden at all, never have, I'm still interested in seeing his pro debut and how he gets on and I wish him the best for whatever that's worth.

I just don't like the fact thar Brennen tried to claim, which he's entitled to do, and got somewhat bullied out of seeing it through. Not that it has worked for a while, but the rule is there at it's heart to keep amateur competition on a semi-level playing field, so if people are strongarmed out of using the claiming rule it is giving a free pass to Factory Bikes Vs Kids who work all week, and that's the real issue for me, protecting the elites who are outside the spirit of the rules.

Interestingly a lot of amateur / sportsman / clubman motorsports have an add-on to the rules that even if something technically (or as far as can be seen) complies with the regs but is clearly outside of the spirit of the rules (often in those exact words, like bringing an ex-Works built hatchback to an Autocross) then the governing body can exclude it to keep things on an even keel for the other competitors. I agree once you get to the Pro level then the regs and rulebook are the be all and end all, if there is a loophole or an advantage then you exploit it, that it a different level.
Sully wrote:
I get the parents/parties involved being pissed, but I was speaking more to the 70-some odd forum pages dedicated to it it on Vital. That to...
I get the parents/parties involved being pissed, but I was speaking more to the 70-some odd forum pages dedicated to it it on Vital. That to me is purely Deegan driven.
CPR wrote:
In all fairness Sully, I was not interested at all in this subject. I rarely am in amateur related threads. That was until the interview with...
In all fairness Sully, I was not interested at all in this subject. I rarely am in amateur related threads. That was until the interview with Brennan came out, than I was in, not because of the Deegans, but because of the other players and the implications.
I’m sure I wasn’t the only one like that.
Same goes for me.

I ignored all of it until the kids interview hit.
moto111
Fantasy
1527th
8/16/2022 7:50am
The sad truth of this all, is that the AMA rule, is now worth shit.
Press516
Fantasy
111th
8/16/2022 7:51am
TbonesPop wrote:
So, Matt Walker trains the son of Brennan's sponsor dealership's owner (who reps Yamaha bikes).......And Matt Walker was hob knobbing with Donnie Luce from Yamaha when...
So, Matt Walker trains the son of Brennan's sponsor dealership's owner (who reps Yamaha bikes).......And Matt Walker was hob knobbing with Donnie Luce from Yamaha when they pulled Brennan into their pit to chastise him over his claim decision, in which Walker went on to go batshit crazy and threaten to kick the engine builders ass.....and then the sponsor dealer's owner pulls Brennan's dad into a one on one discussion at the same time as the Walker bat shit crazy rant, then Brennan's dad has some miraculous epiphany then tells Brennan to just drop it - which he then does. And then the dealership drops Brennan's sponsorship......and Yet 100% of the remaining sponsors for Brennan have stayed with him through all of this.

If some of you remaining dick fucks can't put 2+2 together, then there ain't no hope for ya at this point.

This isn't rocket science. Walker is lying. Luce is lying. The Sponsor dealership is lying. I don't think Cotter lied in his interview, I'm just not convinced he didn't omit some things he knew in order to cover some things up. If Deegan had anything to do with it, it was very much behind the scenes (if he had anything at all to do with it).
100% man, 100 F*CKING PERCENT!!!
ctbale
8/16/2022 7:53am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 7:54am
1. So what if Brennan had a beef with Deegan
2. So what if Derrick Harris gave Brennan $$ and then acted as surrogate parent during the claim process.
3. So what if Star was gunna lose a $100,000 bike with secrets.
4. So what of Yamaha Donnie, trainer Matt Walker, and Canucks Yamaha Ralley Motoplex Criss then swung the final blow in the pressuring of the dad and kid to fold and withdraw the claim.

Every single person in this deal has "dirty hands" except for maybe AMA guy, Mike Burkeen.

Derrick Harris, the Dad, Brian Deegan, Tim Cotter & DC, Star Yamaha, Trainer Mike Walker, Yamaha Donnie Luce, Canuck Yami sponcer Criss, and yes even Brennan.

Real shitshow, but god dam its been interesting
8/16/2022 7:54am
TXDirt wrote:
Why does Daddy Deegan need to know why the kid wants the bike? Maybe he just wants to melt it down. Maybe he wants to ride...
Why does Daddy Deegan need to know why the kid wants the bike? Maybe he just wants to melt it down. Maybe he wants to ride it on the farm. Who knows and who cares. Would any answer of gotten Deegan to back off and say “oh okay. Here is the bike”.

The whole thing of having Deegan and Cotter interrogate the person making the claim is ridiculous.

Leave it to MX Sports and the AMA to make something that should be very simple and turn it into a total shit show.

How the heck does Walker make it into the middle of this? It’s comical how this was handled.

A claim was made. The money was paid.

End of story.

But not end of story….
VRR7 wrote:
Because of Brenan's social media statements and attacks on Haiden basically showing his jealously and envy. Brian know the real reason ! Brenan is a pos...
Because of Brenan's social media statements and attacks on Haiden basically showing his jealously and envy. Brian know the real reason ! Brenan is a pos.

Brian should claim Brenan's bike next race , show the little squirt what it feels like to remove all development work on you personals race bike. You Tube show all the engine builders modifications. Me think it will be more adverse if the same happened to him. I doubt Brian would waste any time offering that lesson to Brenan. Pretty much a low class move in any event !
Which brings me to my next point… Don’t do crack!
HAHAHA
TahoeVetMX
8/16/2022 7:55am
Walker's interview clearly showed where things went very badly. He even said they were going to "Squash" this. Meaning squash this claim. He said the sponsor called him from town. So, then who called the sponsor? Please note everyone he twice said "This is the big thing here" then saying that the sponsor and Yamaha USA Donnie did not know each other. However, he was never asked a question about that yet. He clearly was trying to protect Yamaha and the sponsor. He is a hot head to say the least. He clearly hates the engine builder and lied claiming it was the engine builder who was aggressive. He never owned up to his own aggression really at all. To me this is the point when everything went very wrong. I would never send a kid to train there after seeing that interview.

I will add that Donnie came off very poorly. He was uncomfortable and tried to skip over many facts. He said he just wanted to go talk to the trainer to learn more about the kid. Meaning apply pressure of course. They all admit they did not want to let the bike go and then they all claim they did nothing to pressure the kid or his family. However, if they all plan on squashing this claim you must have some type of action to stop the claim? They want us all to believe they just talked nicely to the kid and claimed they might help him with some engines?
ctbale
8/16/2022 8:01am
The kid never folded from the "3 adults" pressure. Never folded from Matt Walker/Donnie Luce Pressure. He folded from his dads pressure after Sponcer Criss convinced his dad. Too bad, I would have loved to have watch Brennan's youtube videos.
8/16/2022 8:04am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 8:05am
deez387 wrote:
C&C338 , you part of the Deegan camp or just not a fan of Brennan? Trying to figure out why you are having such issues with...
C&C338 , you part of the Deegan camp or just not a fan of Brennan? Trying to figure out why you are having such issues with the plain and simple FACT that Brennan was black balled in this whole ordeal. Even if he had it out for the Deegans (many do because of how they act) or his engine builder was behind it, it is all irrelevant. He did everything correct for the so called claim and still did not walk out of LL with the bike he went to claim. If you and sore loser cannot see the issues with all that....im not sure there is much for hope for you in understanding how big of an issue this is for not only Amateur MX scene, but MX sports, AMA, rules (why have them) and figure heads in this sport. It is beyond ridiculous.
Why do I have to be part of the Deegan camp to have this opinion. I’m so far away from moto sense in the USA I live in North Ontario Canada and don’t own a Yamaha don’t work for Yamaha. Just a truck and bus mechanic . I’m pissed off because everyone went head hunting and wanted the deegans head and Tim Cotter head and wanted mx sports done as promoter that’s was how this was going befor everyone heard their sides of the story and it pisses me off now. A lot what Brennan said is untrue and so what the engine builder said was untrue and misleading and they wanted Tim Cotter and the Deegans to be hung out and dragged through the mud
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
8/16/2022 8:09am
nrosso391 wrote:

Huevos wrote:
I was only meaning when it is a normal guy with purchased mods.

NOW the factory team bike issue. Yes I 100% agree those bikes shouldn't be on am amateur track. But that's the equipment you're gonna get if you are on a team. Maybe the teams need to tone down the mods for their amateurs? I don't know. But i still say its BS that you basically have no say in the matter.
280driver
8/16/2022 8:11am
ctbale wrote:
The kid never folded from the "3 adults" pressure. Never folded from Matt Walker/Donnie Luce Pressure. He folded from his dads pressure after Sponcer Criss convinced...
The kid never folded from the "3 adults" pressure. Never folded from Matt Walker/Donnie Luce Pressure. He folded from his dads pressure after Sponcer Criss convinced his dad. Too bad, I would have loved to have watch Brennan's youtube videos.
I would image the pressure from all the adults had built up a ton by the time his Dad finally told him his future sponsor opportunities would be ruined if I didn’t drop it. I can’t imagine that kind of pressure/influence when I was his age.

Post a reply to: The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

The Latest