The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

Dirt.Squirt
8/15/2022 6:30pm
Two things that stuck out to me

Burkeen claims Derek Harris spoke with him a few weeks before the race to go over how a claim process worked

Brian Deegan had these two screenshots from brennans Snapchat story

Not really aligning with brennans response to Brian of “having nothing but respect for you and your family”

It doesn’t SOUND to me like Burkeen Cotter or Degan treated Brennan unfairly however I am more interested in hearing from the dealer walker and Luce which to me sounds like where the real shady part went down.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/15/2022 6:31pm
500 Mike wrote:
Haven't gotten through all of the video yet but listed to most of Cotter's piece. The way he talked about it MX Sports (him) and the...
Haven't gotten through all of the video yet but listed to most of Cotter's piece. The way he talked about it MX Sports (him) and the AMA are almost one and the same. Cotter took possession of the bike in question and locked it up. Glad it was locked up but IMO the AMA should be the ones handling this. They are (supposedly) the rules makers and should be handling enforcement and not MX Sports. There seems to be WAY too much intermixing of those 2 organizations at this event anyway. Should they have a good working relationship, absolutely, but each org has a role to play and it seems the AMA was deferring to MXS too much. If the AMA didn't have enough personnel onsite to handle these kind of issues then shame on them. MXS needs to run the race and AMA needs to enforce the rules. I need to listen to Burkeen's piece to get his take but not able to right now.

Also, I was curious who was sitting in the back seat of Cotter's vehicle. Possibly Carrie?? Maybe not.
No, that was Tim's youngest son. They were dropping his oldest son off at College.
TXDirt
8/15/2022 6:33pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there...
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there. He was never in the room with Brain and Tim alone.
dmm698 wrote:
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike? I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he...
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike?

I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he was coerced into dropping the claim by outside pressure, he should of got the bike ect. But it also speaks volumes to Harris playing the good guy supporter who claims he knew nothing about the claim idea from Brennan until Loretta’s yet he was on the phone about it a week prior and involved directly in the initiation with most of the officials.

Whole thing stinks to heavens and hope we can determine who pressured him into dropping it

Edit: just so it’s clear, Harris being dishonest has nothing to do with the fact Brennan got the shaft in this ordeal
Who cares though? Maybe the bike was going to be claimed and go right to Harris the engine guy. Fuck maybe he was going to split the cases right then and there after the last moto had been run. Maybe they were going to make a YT video about it. Hell, maybe they were going to take it to Vegas and have the Pawn Shop guys put a value on it.

That’s perfectly legit.

No reason and every reason is legit.

You don’t need a reason to claim the bike.
dmm698
8/15/2022 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:37pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there...
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there. He was never in the room with Brain and Tim alone.
dmm698 wrote:
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike? I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he...
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike?

I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he was coerced into dropping the claim by outside pressure, he should of got the bike ect. But it also speaks volumes to Harris playing the good guy supporter who claims he knew nothing about the claim idea from Brennan until Loretta’s yet he was on the phone about it a week prior and involved directly in the initiation with most of the officials.

Whole thing stinks to heavens and hope we can determine who pressured him into dropping it

Edit: just so it’s clear, Harris being dishonest has nothing to do with the fact Brennan got the shaft in this ordeal
Utah Moto wrote:
Again. Non of that matters as it pertains to the rule. We could find out 16 people lent him money, talked him him into doing etc...
Again. Non of that matters as it pertains to the rule. We could find out 16 people lent him money, talked him him into doing etc etc. the fact was the claim was made and rules should have been followed.

I’ll even go out and say I think Brennan is playing the “innocent nice kid” but he really hates Haiden and had it out for him. But IT DOESNT MATTER as it pertains to the rule.

To me it makes the move by the deegans even dumber. You know you have an for sure Enemy out there and you still risk it
Read my post - you’re not saying anything I didn’t say.

Doesn’t matter where the money came from. I agree.
What matters is he put in a claim, was pressured out of moving forward, and now doesn’t have the bike. It’s flat out wrong. I could care less why Brennan was claiming the bike, and frankly it does not matter at all in the least why he was doing it. He deserved to have it to light on fire if he so chose, Or have it torn down, Or clay modeled and replicated.

I was merely pointing out that Harris has played this good buddy role I knew nothing I just found out about this ect yet he’s been involved in calling an AMA official a week prior on how to do this.

Brennan should distance himself from the guy.

The Shop

Utah Moto
8/15/2022 6:37pm
dmm698 wrote:

Utah Moto wrote:
Again. Non of that matters as it pertains to the rule. We could find out 16 people lent him money, talked him him into doing etc...
Again. Non of that matters as it pertains to the rule. We could find out 16 people lent him money, talked him him into doing etc etc. the fact was the claim was made and rules should have been followed.

I’ll even go out and say I think Brennan is playing the “innocent nice kid” but he really hates Haiden and had it out for him. But IT DOESNT MATTER as it pertains to the rule.

To me it makes the move by the deegans even dumber. You know you have an for sure Enemy out there and you still risk it
dmm698 wrote:
Read my post - you’re not saying anything I didn’t say. Doesn’t matter where the money came from. I agree. What matters is he put in...

What matters is he put in a claim, was pressured out of moving forward, and now doesn’t have the bike. It’s flat out wrong. I could care less why Brennan was claiming the bike, and frankly it does not matter at all in the least why he was doing it. He deserved to have it to light on fire if he so chose, Or have it torn down, Or clay modeled and replicated.

I was merely pointing out that Harris has played this good buddy role I knew nothing I just found out about this ect yet he’s been involved in calling an AMA official a week prior on how to do this.

I re read it. You are correct I didn’t interpret it correctly. Apologies
8/15/2022 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:40pm
Two things that stuck out to me Burkeen claims Derek Harris spoke with him a few weeks before the race to go over how a claim...

Burkeen claims Derek Harris spoke with him a few weeks before the race to go over how a claim process worked

Not really aligning with brennans response to Brian of “having nothing but respect for you and your family”

It doesn’t SOUND to me like Burkeen Cotter or Degan treated Brennan unfairly however I am more interested in hearing from the dealer walker and Luce which to me sounds like where the real shady part went down.
None of that matters.

Doesn't matter if Brennan respects the Deegans or hates their guts. Doesn't matter if Harris wanted the motor or didn't.

All of that drama is just muddying the waters.

Kid wanted the bike. Produced the money. He didn't get the bike, despite the rulebook saying attempting to circumvent claiming will result in punitive action. It's pretty clear there were multiple attempts to circumvent the claim by multiple parties.
dmm698
8/15/2022 6:39pm
Utah Moto wrote:

dmm698 wrote:
Read my post - you’re not saying anything I didn’t say. Doesn’t matter where the money came from. I agree. What matters is he put in...

Utah Moto wrote:
I re read it. You are correct I didn’t interpret it correctly. Apologies
No worries! I feel for the kid and hope the vital crowd can set something up to help support him with some bikes. Those of us in a position to even pitch in 5-10$ should do so
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 6:40pm
USA wrote:
At 46 minutes, Cotter mentions that Brennan started the claim with 'an official', presumably AMA. He says that the kid was told to go talk to...
At 46 minutes, Cotter mentions that Brennan started the claim with 'an official', presumably AMA. He says that the kid was told to go talk to 'the administration', which would have been Cotter and Deegan.

Did Schofield actually start the claim with the right party, the AMA, and get told he has to talk to MX Sports?
Yes. It’s one reason why I softened my stance on Cotter.
TXDirt
8/15/2022 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:43pm
ML, just curious if you had to send over a list of questions ahead of time as part of the agreement for the interview.
8/15/2022 6:43pm
TXDirt wrote:
ML, just curious if you had to send over a list of questions ahead of time as part of the agreement for the interview.
Good question.
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 6:44pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Please elaborate.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/15/2022 6:46pm
TXDirt wrote:
Before every interview, I told each person I was interviewing how my interviewed would be structured, that I would be asking direct questions on times, people, and locations...and that I only really wanted to discuss moments they were directly involved in...as I didn't want hearsay on things they really couldn't speak on.

I also informed all parties that every major player would be interviewed and no one would get an exclusive run with their story without all major parties being interviewed as well. My goal was to express my seriousness in getting to the bottom of this and that I wanted to stay as neutral as I could.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/15/2022 6:47pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Sore Loser wrote:
Please elaborate.
Listen to his interview, it's Mike Burkeen.
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 6:47pm
ML512 wrote:
I know this is quite the bag to unload so here are some unique points to the story. Brennan does admit that there was an offer...
I know this is quite the bag to unload so here are some unique points to the story.

Brennan does admit that there was an offer of sort from Yamaha of engines to replace so damaged ones he had along with an opportunity to test the bike at Goat Farm.

Burkeen states that the AMA rules relating to a claim will only penalize another party if they counter claim a bike to interfere or if a rider is directly threatened by the claimed party. Negotiating a deal to receive some level of support in return for dropping a claim is NOT against the rules.

Brennan also admits that he actually doesn't know if his bike sponsor / dealer was threatened by Yamaha, it was assumed.

Cotter and Burkeen speak very highly of dealing with Brennan and his handling of the situation.

Cotter and Burkeen both speak about the engine builder trying to be involved a decent bit.

Cotter and Burkeen both state that they were told his parents "weren't around" and in retrospective they both wish they would've asked further on this.

Both admit to not realizing that Brennan was under 18 in the moment.

Burkeen states he didn't deny the kid the ability to make the claim without his parents around as he didn't want to run down the clock and risk the kid not being able to make the claim against the bike. He absolutely didn't want to interfere with the process and have it look like the AMA / MX Sports would deny a legitimate bike claim.

Cotter, Burkeen, and Deegan all match up with a much shorter time line for the conversation with Brennan in the office. Their versions of Deegan's questions all match Brennan's.

Deegan didn't know it was only Brennan present when he showed up, he expected a kid and his dad.

Deegan has proof of very negative comments that Brennan has posted on Social Media about Haiden and was roughly aware of who he was due to these comments.
TbonesPop wrote:
Good stuff ML. Fantastic work. Couple of tidbits I took away from the Cotter interview, which was really good. Go back and watch his body language...
Good stuff ML. Fantastic work. Couple of tidbits I took away from the Cotter interview, which was really good. Go back and watch his body language and when he crosses his arms. That's indicative of a closed body language and can indicate an uncomfortable feeling with the person speaking. I'm not saying he's lying when he does that, it just indicates discomfort or not as comfortable with that particular question. Also, anytime I have been dealing with depositions (in business) and someone says "they don't recall", they have either been coached by an attorney or they are not telling the truth - or they are they are just effectively taking the 5th. Saying you don't recall is not normal vernacular for most people. When someone just says "I don't remember" or something more common, it tends to hold more water. I'm not saying Cotter was lying in his interview. I'm saying he was very "guarded" in his interview.

I've been overly harsh on Brian Deegan and owe him an apology, so I apologize Brian.

Cotter, I'm still somewhat on the fence on. At the end of the day, I think the whole situation could have been handled better and all parties involve would admit that.

Sounds like we are getting down to brass tax on where the real issue lies - what drove the return of the claim.

Again, fantastic work ML.
Pretty much echoing my opinion after the Derek Harris interview.

ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/15/2022 6:50pm
ML512 wrote:
Before every interview, I told each person I was interviewing how my interviewed would be structured, that I would be asking direct questions on times, people...
Before every interview, I told each person I was interviewing how my interviewed would be structured, that I would be asking direct questions on times, people, and locations...and that I only really wanted to discuss moments they were directly involved in...as I didn't want hearsay on things they really couldn't speak on.

I also informed all parties that every major player would be interviewed and no one would get an exclusive run with their story without all major parties being interviewed as well. My goal was to express my seriousness in getting to the bottom of this and that I wanted to stay as neutral as I could.
Also, two interviews were particularly hard to get...and I can almost guarantee that they won't be speaking to anyone else.
8/15/2022 6:50pm
The really weird one to me: the dealer coming by in the evening to tell Cotter to stop the claim.

Why would anybody even bother to deal with that, and then set up even further interaction that guy and the claimant?

"I'm here to stop a claim!"

"Who are you?"

"One of the claimant's sponsors."

"Oh. Go away."
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 6:51pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
dmm698 wrote:

I haven’t made it thru the whole ML video yet.

If Harris called about the claiming rules, boy oh boy. Cause he claims in his interview that he found out about the claim at LL from Brennan at the last minute.

It would seem he’s possibly lying? Which would mean Brennan lied about where he got the money and who was behind the claim?

Jeez. I never woulda saw that coming.
Hammer 663s
8/15/2022 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:52pm
Well, I was interested for a while. But life is busy. and I got more drama than I need already. Nice work ML, but no one other than a few people in a fringe, niche sport cares. I just can't burn time and energy on something so trivial. I need to spend these 90 minutes a day getting my fat a$$ in shape.

Edit - Sore Loser, you are a whack job.
Dirt.Squirt
8/15/2022 6:52pm
None of that matters. Doesn't matter if Brennan respects the Deegans or hates their guts. Doesn't matter if Harris wanted the motor or didn't. All of...
None of that matters.

Doesn't matter if Brennan respects the Deegans or hates their guts. Doesn't matter if Harris wanted the motor or didn't.

Kid wanted the bike. Produced the money. He didn't get the bike, despite the rulebook saying attempting to circumvent claiming will result in punitive action. It's pretty clear there were multiple attempts to circumvent the claim by multiple parties.
You’re absolutely right, just details that I hadn’t heard

Brennan should have that bike in his possession right now but if it doesn’t matter that he has bad blood with Deegan or not, then why leave the back story out?

I think he wanted a badass star bike but I also think he wanted to get one over on the degans. Not that the latter matters, it’s just my opinion which also doesn’t matter
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 6:55pm
Two things that stuck out to me Burkeen claims Derek Harris spoke with him a few weeks before the race to go over how a claim...

It’s almost as if someone has been alluding to this the last few days. I cant remember who though.
dmm698
8/15/2022 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 7:00pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
dmm698 wrote:

Sore Loser wrote:
I haven’t made it thru the whole ML video yet. If Harris called about the claiming rules, boy oh boy. Cause he claims in his interview...

If Harris called about the claiming rules, boy oh boy. Cause he claims in his interview that he found out about the claim at LL from Brennan at the last minute.

It would seem he’s possibly lying? Which would mean Brennan lied about where he got the money and who was behind the claim?

Dude, give it a rest.

Wtf does it matter if Brennan claimed the bike for him or not? He’s getting the shaft. He’s a kid who should have a bike right now. Not a kid who’s dealer now took the bikes back he did have.

I do not understand your constant narrative to discredit the kid. I am not surprised in the least that Harris spun the interviews to portray himself as innocent. I’ve already stated that.

He put a claim in, he rescinded it, and the ONLY thing that matters is who coerced him to rescind it.

8/15/2022 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:58pm
None of that matters. Doesn't matter if Brennan respects the Deegans or hates their guts. Doesn't matter if Harris wanted the motor or didn't. All of...
None of that matters.

You’re absolutely right, just details that I hadn’t heard Brennan should have that bike in his possession right now but if it doesn’t matter that he...
You’re absolutely right, just details that I hadn’t heard

Brennan should have that bike in his possession right now but if it doesn’t matter that he has bad blood with Deegan or not, then why leave the back story out?

I think he wanted a badass star bike but I also think he wanted to get one over on the degans. Not that the latter matters, it’s just my opinion which also doesn’t matter
Sure. It is the oldest tactic in the book.

You always go on the attack on both the character and the motives of the opposing party in a PR/Legal situation. But remember, NONE OF THAT MATTERS to the actual issue at hand.
Dirt.Squirt
8/15/2022 6:57pm
Well, I was interested for a while. But life is busy. and I got more drama than I need already. Nice work ML, but no one...
Well, I was interested for a while. But life is busy. and I got more drama than I need already. Nice work ML, but no one other than a few people in a fringe, niche sport cares. I just can't burn time and energy on something so trivial. I need to spend these 90 minutes a day getting my fat a$$ in shape.

Edit - Sore Loser, you are a whack job.
Lucky bastard. I never get any drama and only interact with about 3 people a day as I work in the middle of no where Laughing
Kmiller125
8/15/2022 6:57pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
dmm698 wrote:

I picked up on that too, which would discredit half of what he says in his interview, but like we Said before it doesn’t matter who pressured him into doing it, only who pressured him out of doing it. That’s where rules/ and or laws were broken
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 6:58pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Sore Loser wrote:
Please elaborate.
ML512 wrote:
SlowOldGuy = Burkeen ?

Or he was quoting Burkeen?

I’ll definitely finish the interview when I have time.
lappedrider
8/15/2022 6:59pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Sorry, how was he not alone? Sounds like you’re saying he was in a room alone with 3 adults he didn’t know I stead of 2? Why didn’t you call his dad when you called BD? Did you know he was a minor?
MO 23
8/15/2022 7:05pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
dmm698 wrote:

Sore Loser wrote:
I haven’t made it thru the whole ML video yet. If Harris called about the claiming rules, boy oh boy. Cause he claims in his interview...

You are probably right.....but it is irrelevant.
The rule is simple, and it is there to stop exactly what Star is doing....putting big money into developing AM bikes.
it doesnt matter where the money is coming from, or what the claimer wants to do with the bike. claim the bike, and it has to be handed over.

Shit its not complicated, yet its amateur MX....so of course it turns into a shit show of parents, sponsors, manufacturers, promoters, sanctioning bodies and shit talking on the internet haha
Dirt.Squirt
8/15/2022 7:05pm
Sorry, how was he not alone? Sounds like you’re saying he was in a room alone with 3 adults he didn’t know I stead of 2...
Sorry, how was he not alone? Sounds like you’re saying he was in a room alone with 3 adults he didn’t know I stead of 2? Why didn’t you call his dad when you called BD? Did you know he was a minor?
Listen to the interview……
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 7:07pm
dmm698 wrote:

Sore Loser wrote:

dmm698 wrote:
Dude, give it a rest. Wtf does it matter if Brennan claimed the bike for him or not? He’s getting the shaft. He’s a kid who...
Dude, give it a rest.

Wtf does it matter if Brennan claimed the bike for him or not? He’s getting the shaft. He’s a kid who should have a bike right now. Not a kid who’s dealer now took the bikes back he did have.

I do not understand your constant narrative to discredit the kid. I am not surprised in the least that Harris spun the interviews to portray himself as innocent. I’ve already stated that.

He put a claim in, he rescinded it, and the ONLY thing that matters is who coerced him to rescind it.

I care about the truth.

And it’s becoming pretty clear that Brennan aint no saint. My original post asked why everyone was taking his word as gospel. I knew Brennan had beef with Haiden and an axe to grind. I questioned the engine builder involvement. I also questioned how Brennan knew Yamaha threatened his dealer. And I took a rash of shit for all of it.

As it turns out I was right on damn near everything. And that pisses some people off because they attacked me mercilessly.

What’s funny is I never shit on the kid. Or the engine builder. I just felt the mob was far too myopic in all this and many others were getting unfairly dumped on. Which as it’s all coming to light appears to be the case.

Maybe next time the mob will wait before rushing to judgement and Star wont bring a factory motor to an amateur race. Those are the two biggest lessons here imo.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/15/2022 7:07pm
Sore Loser wrote:
Please elaborate.
ML512 wrote:
Sore Loser wrote:
SlowOldGuy = Burkeen ?

Or he was quoting Burkeen?

I’ll definitely finish the interview when I have time.
For someone so invested in this you either don’t pay attention or are slow, not that there is anything wrong with that

Post a reply to: The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

The Latest