Mike Brown getting heat over LL?

Superdave19
8/6/2017 4:35pm
I would have no issues getting 2nd behind the likes of Brown, Ramsey, Grewe, Etc.. the top finishers that place behind these dudes have serious game, and should realize they were only bested by some of the worlds best riders at one time.

Katoomey
8/6/2017 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 4:45pm
so, lets sum this thread up...

a bunch pussy's saying its not fair on one side, and a bunch of meat heads on the other side mocking "participation ribbon"

is that about it? clearly both sides of the argument are missing the "spirit of competition"...

here's what I think. Until the AMA clearly defines the difference between Pro and AM, then this topic is null.

teamchrist
8/6/2017 5:09pm
Can Brown, Carmichael, Ramsey, Reynard, etc... decide to come out of retirement and get their pro license renewed without going through the points systems an amateur would have to?
Moto520
8/6/2017 5:49pm
Brown gets to enjoy the sport just like the rest of us.

The Shop

lestat
8/6/2017 6:17pm
Send Mike Brown to the MXDN now . He won't be taking a younger guys spot there .
JB 19
8/6/2017 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 6:35pm
There is a poster earlier in this thread who made a very definitive and bold statement regarding the feelings of all the guys who were in...
There is a poster earlier in this thread who made a very definitive and bold statement regarding the feelings of all the guys who were in Brownie's class this year. Now, if he would just post up that polling data...... Whistling
I think the worst part about these threads is the tough guy badasses that haven't been off the couch in years, but think they should decide what's best for the guys doing the racing.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this race, but i do hear what's said in the pits and at riding spots.
Camp332
8/6/2017 7:08pm
Same shit every year after Lorettas.
8/6/2017 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 7:37pm
Let them run in whatever class, but make the ex pros ride a bike from the year they first scored an AMA professional point or earlier. Better racing, cooler equipment, and a built-in "legends" tie-in!
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
8/6/2017 7:21pm
I just want to see every one on equal equipment
JMR1976
8/6/2017 9:53pm
slipdog wrote:
Edit: Not as funny after a re read. I ain't going to LL's anytime soon, lol...
I enjoyed the original post.
Rockinar
8/6/2017 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 12:10am
You're 25 years old and all excited about your first big race at Lorettas in the 25+ class only to discover you are gated next to Mike Brown, Nathan Ramsey and Buddy Antunez.

Mike was just saying in April that he wanted to race Muddy Creek.

HAHAHA.......

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/7/2017 12:03am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 10:19am
90smoto wrote:
Personally I think it would of been a class act move by Brownie to pull it over right before the checkers and let the class by...
Personally I think it would of been a class act move by Brownie to pull it over right before the checkers and let the class by in the 3rd +40 moto. The dudes accomplished so much in the sport and he would gain so much respect to do that by his fellow racers. They would all want to ride up to him or find him in the pits after the moto and give him a respected hand shake. It would of been a really cool story to end the week at Lorettas for everyone there. +25 I get it, you take that championship and be proud to whoop on the youngsters but come on brownie your in a different universe than the rest of the +40 guys.
WoohooWoohoo My sides hurt from laughing................or were you serious ? Dry
8/7/2017 3:59am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 4:04am
I went riding with some Vet guys this weekend- and they were talking about how there should be an invitational pro class for 30+ year old pro riders and that they shouldn't have to qualify from the regionals. Just the areas. Maybe that part of the idea could use some work, but I'm more concerned with there being a class like this:

Open to anyone who had a pro license before 2007 and is over 30. And like the 50cc classes- it's the only class you can race. Every year the pro card requirement jumps up one calendar year. It would give a lot more room for guys like myself who used to race professionally and still haul balls (honestly) a class to race without beating up on the plus 25 local guys who really should be making the class but can't because it's literally all A riders.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
8/7/2017 4:37am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 4:53am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Its called an AMATEUR Championship. How can it be a true amateur race if ex professionals are riding in it. If ex pros want to race...
Its called an AMATEUR Championship. How can it be a true amateur race if ex professionals are riding in it. If ex pros want to race they should have "LEGENDS" races.

I guess Mike Tyson should be able to go compete in the golden gloves again too....
wpark89 wrote:
How many times do you need to hear this.... There isn't enough of them for a Legends class. And how would you determine who's a legend...
How many times do you need to hear this....
There isn't enough of them for a Legends class.
And how would you determine who's a legend or not?
A guy who had a contract for 5 million? 50K....or a guy
who once made $150 bucks at a country fair AX?

If you want to take any professionalism out of the event
better eliminate any kid getting free bikes, parts, tear offs or anything!
You can't compare our sport to Football or Boxing..

For some it will never be perfect. But it's as fair as it could be
42 guys that are old enough line up on individually falling gates and
see who gets the the checkered flag first.

If you were once a pro you are a "legend." Call it what you want. Guys that were once professionals have no reason to be racing true amateurs, its really stupid. How many times have we heard that these guys never really lose much speed, mainly endurance. You can compare it to other sports, a PRO IS A PRO. If you had your pro card you where a pro.

I think it is cool to see them out racing but it just screws the shit out of the guys that would give anything to get a bib from the ranch. Guys that maybe never had the equipment or funds to do this when they were younger but have worked hard in life and would like to chase a dream. I know a guy that qualified for 40+ 2 years ago, he is much faster than he was but he had ex pros at both regionals he qualified for and missed the cut... Remove the ex pros and he is back in the gate in 1 of them and 2 spots out in the other....
JB 19
8/7/2017 5:18am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 5:19am
My personal opinion is that at the local level it doesn't matter who lines up. There are tons of local races. If you don't want to race the A or pro guys you should be able to dodge them by going somewhere else.

Loretta's is once a year and it's a big deal to the local guys who never made it big. It's the challenge of measuring themselves against the other 9-5 Joe's. I don't personally understand what someone like Mike Brown would get out of winning by a full minute. If he's looking for someone to race it looks like he looked in the wrong place. Maybe Pro Sport class would have been a better place.

I think the best way to handle the situation is for the past pro's to ride 25+. Guys like Grewe and Carsten have shown that they have the speed for that class at over 50 years old. If they can do it then surely guys who had real factory rides can too. That would leave the 30+ and up for the local hot shot vet guys and you don't have to add a class for the pro's.
Indy mxer
8/7/2017 5:38am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
If you were once a pro you are a "legend." Call it what you want. Guys that were once professionals have no reason to be racing...
If you were once a pro you are a "legend." Call it what you want. Guys that were once professionals have no reason to be racing true amateurs, its really stupid. How many times have we heard that these guys never really lose much speed, mainly endurance. You can compare it to other sports, a PRO IS A PRO. If you had your pro card you where a pro.

I think it is cool to see them out racing but it just screws the shit out of the guys that would give anything to get a bib from the ranch. Guys that maybe never had the equipment or funds to do this when they were younger but have worked hard in life and would like to chase a dream. I know a guy that qualified for 40+ 2 years ago, he is much faster than he was but he had ex pros at both regionals he qualified for and missed the cut... Remove the ex pros and he is back in the gate in 1 of them and 2 spots out in the other....
Very well put. This isn't just about Mike Brown.

People bitch about sandbagging in the C classes. Well, isn't this a form of that?
Ex-pro's racing in a class they're clearly too fast for?

They should at least run pro sport.

Again, the question nobody has answered. It's called the amateur nationals.
Please tell me how an ex-pro fits that definition?
Bramlett321
8/7/2017 6:51am
Anyone 25 years old crying about about a 45 year old working them probably needs a safe space.
ATKpilot99 wrote:
You can say that but then again this is supposed to be an amateur event and you have former pros including national champions competing . They...
You can say that but then again this is supposed to be an amateur event and you have former pros including national champions competing . They should have their own class.
JRT812 wrote:
Love me some Brownie, but I agree with your point.
Agree with you both a little but there are former pro's in there getting worked by the regulars and also by wayyyyyy older pro's like a Barry Carsten. Keefer will probably agree with how much work it takes to prepare for one race.
Kris Keefer
8/7/2017 6:58am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
You can say that but then again this is supposed to be an amateur event and you have former pros including national champions competing . They...
You can say that but then again this is supposed to be an amateur event and you have former pros including national champions competing . They should have their own class.
JRT812 wrote:
Love me some Brownie, but I agree with your point.
Agree with you both a little but there are former pro's in there getting worked by the regulars and also by wayyyyyy older pro's like a...
Agree with you both a little but there are former pro's in there getting worked by the regulars and also by wayyyyyy older pro's like a Barry Carsten. Keefer will probably agree with how much work it takes to prepare for one race.
I am going to talk about this topic on my Loretta's pod today....
kb-450
8/7/2017 7:07am
teamchrist wrote:
The thing I wonder is why are they not running in any of the A or pro sport classes? Instead of the vet classes.. is it...
The thing I wonder is why are they not running in any of the A or pro sport classes? Instead of the vet classes.. is it simply because they race their age or is it they don't wanna try as hard to run A or pro sport? I remember watching Carmichael at the area when he raced LL a couple years back. He was having to work hard in pro sport with Jeremy Martin, but run off and left everyone in 25+. Makes me think he didn't want to run that pace. Not saying he can't cause dude is beast. Carmichael is a bad dude on 2 wheels.
SPYGUY wrote:
Funny how the true amateurs are supposed to be fine with getting stomped by far superior riders but the former pros aren't held to the same...
Funny how the true amateurs are supposed to be fine with getting stomped by far superior riders but the former pros aren't held to the same standard.

RC quickly abandoned his plans of running Pro Sport after he got beat by Martin at his area qualifier. I guess amateurs aren't the only ones concerned with winning the trophies.
Actually, Ricky didn't abandon his plan to run open pro-sport. He failed to qualify out of the area finishing 11th.

1. J. Martin
2. J. Savatgy
3. M. Clarke
4. J. Summers
5. Z. Bell
6. E. Goodson
7. J. Mort
8. K. Bitterman
9. A. Snelling
10 C. Cherpak
11. R. Carmicheal

Pretty pack class.
Mini Elsinore
8/7/2017 7:23am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 7:26am
There is a poster earlier in this thread who made a very definitive and bold statement regarding the feelings of all the guys who were in...
There is a poster earlier in this thread who made a very definitive and bold statement regarding the feelings of all the guys who were in Brownie's class this year. Now, if he would just post up that polling data...... Whistling
JB 19 wrote:
I think the worst part about these threads is the tough guy badasses that haven't been off the couch in years, but think they should decide...
I think the worst part about these threads is the tough guy badasses that haven't been off the couch in years, but think they should decide what's best for the guys doing the racing.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this race, but i do hear what's said in the pits and at riding spots.
Cool
wpark89
8/7/2017 7:44am
An old fast 45 or 50 year old guy should absolutely not be forced into the Pro sport class. That's ridiculous.
They have already made rules to keep point earners out of the Vet 30 and 45 classes. So is all this fuss over
just the 40 class? The thing is....if you know the guys on the roster there are guys who were local A riders all
the way back to 30 something place.

It's a very rare instance that a former star takes a spot away from a guy serious about going. There are always alternates that go and especially out west the Vet classes are small and it's at times more of an...show up at your area and regional and if you've got the money and time off work you're qualified if you want to go.

Lorettas has always been for the top of the nation in each class.
Sodipop
8/7/2017 7:58am
I bet he could top 10 a national in this field.
Stickers
8/7/2017 8:13am
Everyone says "former pro" so to me that means they not pro anymore therefore can race amateur races. Sounds simple to me... It's the same stuff every year.
TDeath21
8/7/2017 8:15am
This is a tough one. I have no solution really. And I see both sides of the argument. Just because you aren't a pro anymore doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to race. In my opinion, I say fair game as long as they always ride the A class. But that's just my opinion and I do see the other side of it.

Any of you guys here fans of sprint car racing? Here in this area of Missouri, a lot of top sprint car racers will come and race local 360 races in their full semis and top equipment. They usually win unless it's some local guy's track that he just owns. Some drivers hate that. Others love that they can race with top professionals without going to a major event. Shit, sometimes they even run a local series in the same race as the national series, giving points for each. I'm sure there's other sports like this too, but sprint car racing is the only one I personally know of where a top pro will, fairly often, just show up to a local track that happens to be on the way between two national races and race that night. Case in point was Tony Stewart's big debacle when that guy ran onto the track and Stewart hit him. Imagine showing up to your local track on a Sunday to race the A class and you see Eli Tomac pull up in his factory semi and factory bike, also signed up for your class. Direct equivalent.
Dirt222
8/7/2017 8:19am
I love it when a 40 year old C rider is complaining about Mike Brown racing LLs. I have to ask when did a B or C rider in any class start thinking they are a National Champion. The top riders are in the A class. They are the only top riders every one else needs to face facts if you are older than 25 and are still not a A class rider you are the ones who need to sale your bikes and take up another hobby.
PFitzG38
8/7/2017 8:21am
I see the point on both sides. But where is he supposed to race? If they had an ex-pro class not enough guys would sign up....or would they? Give it a year to grow and for some guys to come off he couch and handicap Dowdy. I'm all for watching MC and Emig go at it again!!

The sport needs a Pro Senior class and series like golf. My luck at 54yo the cutoff would be 50.....probably where it should be.
c0ncEpT
8/7/2017 8:24am
The top 5 from all A and B classes could probably qualify for a pro national this year. There isn't anything amateur about the race at Lorettas

Post a reply to: Mike Brown getting heat over LL?

The Latest