Mike Brown getting heat over LL?

TW85
8/3/2019 4:12pm
It would be great to win a Loretta Lynn’s championship. But in the big picture it shouldn’t mean a whole lot. Anyone that makes it there should be proud of that. But grown men getting butt hurt over Mike Brown putting in work....give me a break.

Go enjoy the experience with your family and have some fun. If you end up second place your faster then the rest of the country in that class other then Mike Brown. Pretty badass.
Sierra Ranger
8/3/2019 4:19pm
TW85 wrote:
It would be great to win a Loretta Lynn’s championship. But in the big picture it shouldn’t mean a whole lot. Anyone that makes it there...
It would be great to win a Loretta Lynn’s championship. But in the big picture it shouldn’t mean a whole lot. Anyone that makes it there should be proud of that. But grown men getting butt hurt over Mike Brown putting in work....give me a break.

Go enjoy the experience with your family and have some fun. If you end up second place your faster then the rest of the country in that class other then Mike Brown. Pretty badass.
Exactly. Vet racers take everything too seriously in general. Hell, if I raced Mike Brown in my old age I'd be pumped. There is always somebody faster anyway.
mark_swart
8/4/2019 8:17am
Maybe it's time to look at Lorettas differently. Sure it is an "amateur" championship, but maybe they need to rebrand some of those vet classes as "All Star" classes rather than "Vet" in the traditional sense that most of us think about vet classes.

I'm 46, an active racer, and personally I'd be psyched to line up with Mike Brown. I'm sure he'd lap me the exact same way he did in 1995 lol!
bama205
8/4/2019 8:47am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Its called an AMATEUR Championship. How can it be a true amateur race if ex professionals are riding in it. If ex pros want to race...
Its called an AMATEUR Championship. How can it be a true amateur race if ex professionals are riding in it. If ex pros want to race they should have "LEGENDS" races.

I guess Mike Tyson should be able to go compete in the golden gloves again too....
wpark89 wrote:
How many times do you need to hear this.... There isn't enough of them for a Legends class. And how would you determine who's a legend...
How many times do you need to hear this....
There isn't enough of them for a Legends class.
And how would you determine who's a legend or not?
A guy who had a contract for 5 million? 50K....or a guy
who once made $150 bucks at a country fair AX?

If you want to take any professionalism out of the event
better eliminate any kid getting free bikes, parts, tear offs or anything!
You can't compare our sport to Football or Boxing..

For some it will never be perfect. But it's as fair as it could be
42 guys that are old enough line up on individually falling gates and
see who gets the the checkered flag first.

sgrimmxdad wrote:
If you were once a pro you are a "legend." Call it what you want. Guys that were once professionals have no reason to be racing...
If you were once a pro you are a "legend." Call it what you want. Guys that were once professionals have no reason to be racing true amateurs, its really stupid. How many times have we heard that these guys never really lose much speed, mainly endurance. You can compare it to other sports, a PRO IS A PRO. If you had your pro card you where a pro.

I think it is cool to see them out racing but it just screws the shit out of the guys that would give anything to get a bib from the ranch. Guys that maybe never had the equipment or funds to do this when they were younger but have worked hard in life and would like to chase a dream. I know a guy that qualified for 40+ 2 years ago, he is much faster than he was but he had ex pros at both regionals he qualified for and missed the cut... Remove the ex pros and he is back in the gate in 1 of them and 2 spots out in the other....
How many times do you have to be told, this is one of a handful of classes he can run. The other age classes do not allow former pros

The Shop

pilotdude
8/4/2019 9:32am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2019 9:37am
411/s1200_722D0A9B_E2F9_4C5B_94DF_E03D7CA7E253.jpg" class="img-fluid" />

Mike Brown is a damn good guy. I’ve met him and talked to him and I’ve always liked him. That said, his own statement shows that there’s an issue at hand. This is supposed to be an amateur national championship. Not a former pro national championship. Especially not a former professional national champion championship. I don’t think the pros who want to race are bad guys or doing anything bad, I just don’t think MX Sports is doing a very good job of handling this issue.

Professionals have skills and have had access to resources that amateurs simply do not and never will have. They know how to do things and go speeds that amateurs simply do not know how to do. It is not a fair competition. And those who say grown men shouldn’t get so hung up on a trophy belittle the time, effort, and money that people are committing to thiis race.

I personally think there should be a pro class at Loretto’s without regard to age. All former pros should be allowed to race in it. The older pros will probably finish behind the younger pros because that is the order of nature. But keep the pros separated from the amateurs.

davbrucas
8/4/2019 9:53am
cali11 wrote:
if I was 25 getting smoked by a guy that's 45, id keep my mouth shut!
45 is just a number. He is more fit than most of said 25yr olds. Add in his natural talent and he has to crash out or have a mechanical to lose...or a faster pro races against him.
Kawi15
8/4/2019 10:04am
With all the whining here, maybe they should make Mike do a backward start. Perhaps that would make things a bit more interesting. Smile I am sure he would still win, but it is something. I do not know his situation, but is he paid, or sponsored or required to do LL's contractually? Leaving the bikes out of it, because I am sure those are all given to him. But if he is doing this for his own interest and the support of youth/Amateur racing then I think we ought to be excited. He is showing the youth, the example of an older man.. still having fun racing bikes. I can only imagine this to be good for the sport, if we can get over our pride and our whining. Perhaps we should congratulate Mike instead of bashing him because of bruised ego's.
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2798th
8/4/2019 10:14am
Imagine being the guy at the regional who didn’t make it because brown was there. Making Loretta’s would have been the highlight of that guys life, yet didn’t because of brown. With that being said, we can’t be mad at him for racing within the rules; it’s the rules that should be updated. Does it have to be the 25 class? No. I think the 30/45 classes could be for people who have never earned any type of pro cards leaving two true amateur classes.
wpark89
8/4/2019 11:51am
Imagine being the guy at the regional who didn’t make it because brown was there. Making Loretta’s would have been the highlight of that guys life...
Imagine being the guy at the regional who didn’t make it because brown was there. Making Loretta’s would have been the highlight of that guys life, yet didn’t because of brown. With that being said, we can’t be mad at him for racing within the rules; it’s the rules that should be updated. Does it have to be the 25 class? No. I think the 30/45 classes could be for people who have never earned any type of pro cards leaving two true amateur classes.
You guys....this is exactly how the 30 and 45 classes are!!! You can’t ride them if you have ever scored a national point. This is the most black and white way to break it down. You can’t do a CSI investigation on every rider that ever made 100 bucks at a fairground or Monster Truck Arenacross....you can’t eliminate the guy who bought a pro license in 94 and never even qualified for the Sunday qualifiers at Hangtown. But you can easily research and find anyone who scored a point....and they are not able to participate in +30 and +45 just like some of you keep arguing round and round for in multiple threads.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
8/4/2019 12:50pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
So there is 250pro/sport and Openpro/sport, change the titles of +25 and +40 to JrVetpro/sport and Seniorpro/sport. Problem solved for the naysayers. 😃
Honestly, this would solve all of it. People just don’t get it because it doesn’t say it in the class title. Which is dumb, but some people just need something extra to understand.

The +25 and +40 could potentially have people like Mike Brown in the class. People who sign up way back when at the area qualifier understand this. It’s not thrown on them at the last minute.

If you don’t like it, it’s as easy as riding the sportsman age group where the “pros” aren’t allowed.

This thread clearly shows how dumb and ignorant some people can be.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
8/4/2019 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2019 1:08pm
If you aren’t fast enough, race the sportsman classes...
Racer111 wrote:
That’s the problem. They ARE fast enough to race everyone on the gate aside from the former National Champion and current Canadian Pro National rider.
Then race the +30 sportsman, where there are NO former or current pros.

What is so hard about doing that? if you are actually fast enough to compete for a win in the +40 sans Mike Brown, the you would easily compete for the +30 sportsman class title.
8/4/2019 1:04pm
Apparently the event organizers don't have a problem with Brownie racing, but apparently some dudes in their underwear, pecking away on the computer do. If you or anyone on the line have an issue with it, just beat him. These threads show how soft and pampered some of you are. Everyone gets a troohy....slow clap....good job junior!!
mxb2
8/4/2019 1:16pm
Apparently the event organizers don't have a problem with Brownie racing, but apparently some dudes in their underwear, pecking away on the computer do. If you...
Apparently the event organizers don't have a problem with Brownie racing, but apparently some dudes in their underwear, pecking away on the computer do. If you or anyone on the line have an issue with it, just beat him. These threads show how soft and pampered some of you are. Everyone gets a troohy....slow clap....good job junior!!
Bingo,. Give everybody a trophy,. Dont want lil johnny to achieve anything. Just give it to him.
wpark89
8/4/2019 1:24pm
Hey Regis....

RM 80.....Thor clothes? I think I have pics of us on the line from the ‘93 World Mini.
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2798th
8/4/2019 2:21pm
Imagine being the guy at the regional who didn’t make it because brown was there. Making Loretta’s would have been the highlight of that guys life...
wpark89 wrote:
You guys....this is exactly how the 30 and 45 classes are!!! You can’t ride them if you have ever scored a national point. This is the...
You guys....this is exactly how the 30 and 45 classes are!!! You can’t ride them if you have ever scored a national point. This is the most black and white way to break it down. You can’t do a CSI investigation on every rider that ever made 100 bucks at a fairground or Monster Truck Arenacross....you can’t eliminate the guy who bought a pro license in 94 and never even qualified for the Sunday qualifiers at Hangtown. But you can easily research and find anyone who scored a point....and they are not able to participate in +30 and +45 just like some of you keep arguing round and round for in multiple threads.
At this point it’s beating a dead horse and not even related to brown racing the 25+ class, which I have no problem with. I just don’t get the stipulation of “and scored a point” for the sportsman class. The class should remove any former pro card holders at any time in their life. The former pros have more classes (25,40,50) than those who live regular lives.
wpark89
8/4/2019 3:05pm
At this point it’s beating a dead horse and not even related to brown racing the 25+ class, which I have no problem with. I just...
At this point it’s beating a dead horse and not even related to brown racing the 25+ class, which I have no problem with. I just don’t get the stipulation of “and scored a point” for the sportsman class. The class should remove any former pro card holders at any time in their life. The former pros have more classes (25,40,50) than those who live regular lives.
When they first did a 30 B/C class that is exactly how they did it. I think there was too much gray area and confusion between guys who had pro licenses but honestly were never National speed and wanted to be able to ride the class. Let’s be real...at one time a pro license wasn’t as much earned as it was simply paid for. Lines are sometimes blurred.... and I can just accept that. The only thing that should matter in age classes is your age. If you are a mid pack local vet novice Loretta’s isn’t the place for you...no different than it isn’t the place for a mid pack local 65 rider.
PastranaWho
8/4/2019 4:58pm
He should be racing the pro sport class and stop sandbagging.
Eddieg15
8/4/2019 5:54pm
mxb2 wrote:
Depends on what league in europe. If ya have the talent, ya have it. No amount of training in any sport will make you great if...
Depends on what league in europe. If ya have the talent, ya have it. No amount of training in any sport will make you great if the talents not there.
Racer111 wrote:
Again, that’s false. Jeff Stanton used to win by outworking and training harder than anyone else. He didn’t have half the talent the rest of the...
Again, that’s false. Jeff Stanton used to win by outworking and training harder than anyone else. He didn’t have half the talent the rest of the top 10 had. He just had a lot of heart and a kick ass work ethic. He won ONE race in 1992 and Bradshaw won 9, yet Stanton was the Champ.
DC wrote:
I'm out of the Mike Brown defense, the case is closed -- he's welcome at Loretta Lynn's in the two age classes he qualifies for. So...
I'm out of the Mike Brown defense, the case is closed -- he's welcome at Loretta Lynn's in the two age classes he qualifies for. So are John Grewe and Barry Carsten, +50 riders (and ex-pros) who finished second and third in the Senior +40.

But I have to weigh in on Jeff Stanton. He did not simply "outwork" everyone. He had amazing natural talent as well. I know, I grew up racing with him. The fallacy that Bradshaw and JMB had all the talent and he simply worked hard is not accurate by any means. They ALL worked hard, including Bayle. And they ALL had natural talent, including Jeff Stanton. He was a hard worker, absolutely. But he was also gifted.

And if Jeff Stanton or Damon Bradshaw or Jean-Michel Bayle showed up next year in the Senior +40 or Masters +50 classes I'm sure that they would be welcomed and very much appreciated by the vast majority of their fellow Loretta Lynn's competition. And Mike Brown would beat them too.

Please have this thread ready to go next August so everyone can whine about guys faster than the rest of us who still actually race dirt bikes and enjoy the competition.

DC
Racer X
See ya next year except not at LL
Eddieg15
8/4/2019 6:06pm
Apparently the event organizers don't have a problem with Brownie racing, but apparently some dudes in their underwear, pecking away on the computer do. If you...
mxb2 wrote:
Bingo,. Give everybody a trophy,. Dont want lil johnny to achieve anything. Just give it to him.
Dumb statement
mxb2
8/4/2019 6:09pm
mxb2 wrote:
Eddieg15 wrote:
Dumb statement
Mmmm yea ok man.. kinda like your statements.
crusher773
8/4/2019 6:42pm
mxb2 wrote:
Depends on what league in europe. If ya have the talent, ya have it. No amount of training in any sport will make you great if...
Depends on what league in europe. If ya have the talent, ya have it. No amount of training in any sport will make you great if the talents not there.
Racer111 wrote:
Again, that’s false. Jeff Stanton used to win by outworking and training harder than anyone else. He didn’t have half the talent the rest of the...
Again, that’s false. Jeff Stanton used to win by outworking and training harder than anyone else. He didn’t have half the talent the rest of the top 10 had. He just had a lot of heart and a kick ass work ethic. He won ONE race in 1992 and Bradshaw won 9, yet Stanton was the Champ.
DC wrote:
I'm out of the Mike Brown defense, the case is closed -- he's welcome at Loretta Lynn's in the two age classes he qualifies for. So...
I'm out of the Mike Brown defense, the case is closed -- he's welcome at Loretta Lynn's in the two age classes he qualifies for. So are John Grewe and Barry Carsten, +50 riders (and ex-pros) who finished second and third in the Senior +40.

But I have to weigh in on Jeff Stanton. He did not simply "outwork" everyone. He had amazing natural talent as well. I know, I grew up racing with him. The fallacy that Bradshaw and JMB had all the talent and he simply worked hard is not accurate by any means. They ALL worked hard, including Bayle. And they ALL had natural talent, including Jeff Stanton. He was a hard worker, absolutely. But he was also gifted.

And if Jeff Stanton or Damon Bradshaw or Jean-Michel Bayle showed up next year in the Senior +40 or Masters +50 classes I'm sure that they would be welcomed and very much appreciated by the vast majority of their fellow Loretta Lynn's competition. And Mike Brown would beat them too.

Please have this thread ready to go next August so everyone can whine about guys faster than the rest of us who still actually race dirt bikes and enjoy the competition.

DC
Racer X
DC it has nothing to do with wanting to win a title or getting beat by faster guys. We aren't harping on Brown personally we are harping on the rules being the way they are. I know at least 20 guys who don't even attempt it anymore and used to every year. It's not a level playing field for what the class should actually be. I bet if you dug into results you'd have to get back into deeper than 20th place to find a guy that hasn't races pro at some point in his life. So how is that an amateur class? My point is just making LL is something that a lot of guys dream of and work towards. The current rules make it impossible because we wouldn't be racing the same caliber of guys. It's pros that have never stopped being pros, these guys are taking up half the gate spots. I largely agree with DC on most stuff and am a big fan but I think you are wrong on this and a vast majority of racers for these classes feel the same way.
Eddieg15
8/4/2019 6:52pm
mxb2 wrote:
Eddieg15 wrote:
Dumb statement
mxb2 wrote:
Mine were to the point
Eddieg15
8/4/2019 6:54pm
Racer111 wrote:
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
crusher773 wrote:
DC it has nothing to do with wanting to win a title or getting beat by faster guys. We aren't harping on Brown personally we are...
DC it has nothing to do with wanting to win a title or getting beat by faster guys. We aren't harping on Brown personally we are harping on the rules being the way they are. I know at least 20 guys who don't even attempt it anymore and used to every year. It's not a level playing field for what the class should actually be. I bet if you dug into results you'd have to get back into deeper than 20th place to find a guy that hasn't races pro at some point in his life. So how is that an amateur class? My point is just making LL is something that a lot of guys dream of and work towards. The current rules make it impossible because we wouldn't be racing the same caliber of guys. It's pros that have never stopped being pros, these guys are taking up half the gate spots. I largely agree with DC on most stuff and am a big fan but I think you are wrong on this and a vast majority of racers for these classes feel the same way.
My point exactly. It’s not about me it’s these other guys that would love to make it at least once
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
8/4/2019 6:55pm
brocster wrote:
I would be embarrassed if I was a national pro or ex national pro seeking a win at an amateur national no matter what the classes...
I would be embarrassed if I was a national pro or ex national pro seeking a win at an amateur national no matter what the classes are called...

You should have put that much effort in on your way up...

Doesn’t look good, smell good or sound good when it’s listed as 20XX national number and >20XX national amateur champion.

Its like bantam league all stars superceeding MLB
mxb2 wrote:
I would be embarrassed if i got lapped by a 47 year old and i was half his age.
So if I can’t beat Michael Jordan in a game of one-on-one I should be ashamed and embarrassed just because he’s older than me?

You guys have your heads buried in the sand and aren’t even able to look at this objectively.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
8/4/2019 6:59pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
So there is 250pro/sport and Openpro/sport, change the titles of +25 and +40 to JrVetpro/sport and Seniorpro/sport. Problem solved for the naysayers. 😃
Regis wrote:
Honestly, this would solve all of it. People just don’t get it because it doesn’t say it in the class title. Which is dumb, but some...
Honestly, this would solve all of it. People just don’t get it because it doesn’t say it in the class title. Which is dumb, but some people just need something extra to understand.

The +25 and +40 could potentially have people like Mike Brown in the class. People who sign up way back when at the area qualifier understand this. It’s not thrown on them at the last minute.

If you don’t like it, it’s as easy as riding the sportsman age group where the “pros” aren’t allowed.

The only dumb and ignorant replies I see are the ones defending a guy that is currently racing the pro class and getting paid for it and then going to race an amateur national.
mxb2
8/4/2019 7:00pm
brocster wrote:
I would be embarrassed if I was a national pro or ex national pro seeking a win at an amateur national no matter what the classes...
I would be embarrassed if I was a national pro or ex national pro seeking a win at an amateur national no matter what the classes are called...

You should have put that much effort in on your way up...

Doesn’t look good, smell good or sound good when it’s listed as 20XX national number and >20XX national amateur champion.

Its like bantam league all stars superceeding MLB
mxb2 wrote:
I would be embarrassed if i got lapped by a 47 year old and i was half his age.
SPYGUY wrote:
So if I can’t beat Michael Jordan in a game of one-on-one I should be ashamed and embarrassed just because he’s older than me? You guys...
So if I can’t beat Michael Jordan in a game of one-on-one I should be ashamed and embarrassed just because he’s older than me?

You guys have your heads buried in the sand and aren’t even able to look at this objectively.
If you are a d1 college player and cant beat a 56 year old man. Pro or not. Thats your problem and shdnt be playing d1 hoops.
mxb2
8/4/2019 7:03pm
Eddieg15 wrote:
Dumb statement
mxb2 wrote:
Eddieg15 wrote:
Mine were to the point
So were mine.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
8/4/2019 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2019 7:16pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
Regis wrote:
Honestly, this would solve all of it. People just don’t get it because it doesn’t say it in the class title. Which is dumb, but some...

SPYGUY wrote:
The only dumb and ignorant replies I see are the ones defending a guy that is [u]currently[/u] racing the pro class and getting paid for it...
The only dumb and ignorant replies I see are the ones defending a guy that is currently racing the pro class and getting paid for it and then going to race an amateur national.
N/m
Regis
Fantasy
359th
8/4/2019 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2019 7:18pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
crusher773 wrote:
DC it has nothing to do with wanting to win a title or getting beat by faster guys. We aren't harping on Brown personally we are...
Eddieg15 wrote:
My point exactly. It’s not about me it’s these other guys that would love to make it at least once
N/m again
dkg
8/5/2019 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2019 12:35pm
See everyone next year! Can't think of anything to add to my 8/2017 post.

Post a reply to: Mike Brown getting heat over LL?

The Latest