Mike Brown getting heat over LL?

Indy mxer
8/6/2017 8:54am
Amateur: a person who does something (such as a sport or hobby) for pleasure and not as a job — The supposed ex pros are there...
Amateur: a person who does something (such as a sport or hobby) for pleasure and not as a job —

The supposed ex pros are there for the continued sponsorship money.
They do not have unrelated jobs paying their bills.
Good point.
It's called the "Amateur" nationals. Once a pro always a pro. imo

I don't try to go to LL's as a 60 year old vet rider. Even if I did make it I wouldn't win.
But if I was spending all the time, money and effort to get there, just lining up on the line against a top ex-pro wouldn't mean shit to me.
What the hell is fun about getting smoked by a guy who does or did it for a living?

I would rather know I got beat by a bunch of guys just like me. Another words, true amateaurs.
brocster
8/6/2017 9:34am
Amateur: a person who does something (such as a sport or hobby) for pleasure and not as a job — The supposed ex pros are there...
Amateur: a person who does something (such as a sport or hobby) for pleasure and not as a job —

Indy mxer wrote:
Good point. It's called the "Amateur" nationals. Once a pro always a pro. imo I don't try to go to LL's as a 60 year old...
Good point.
It's called the "Amateur" nationals. Once a pro always a pro. imo

I don't try to go to LL's as a 60 year old vet rider. Even if I did make it I wouldn't win.
But if I was spending all the time, money and effort to get there, just lining up on the line against a top ex-pro wouldn't mean shit to me.
What the hell is fun about getting smoked by a guy who does or did it for a living?

I would rather know I got beat by a bunch of guys just like me. Another words, true amateaurs.
But there are so many other guys that love to bench race/boast/brag that they raced against Brown, ex pro X, Y and Z and the last place they saw them was on the gate...no racing "with" them ever happened but boy oh boy do we get to hear about it over and over and over.
slipdog
8/6/2017 9:34am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 1:24pm
Edit: Not as funny after a re read. I ain't going to LL's anytime soon, lol...
ajk423
8/6/2017 9:44am

Over half the guys there are doing it as a job. Most of the A and B riders, most of the super minis, and so on. That's their job and they get paid. So they shouldn't race Loretta anymore?

The Shop

dboivin
8/6/2017 9:53am
dboivin wrote:
grewe was a top 3 michigan A rider in his prime. road some pro-am then either got hurt or stopped racing for a few years during...
grewe was a top 3 michigan A rider in his prime. road some pro-am then either got hurt or stopped racing for a few years during his prime. He was as good or better than Dehoop in 85 and scored top 5's in the A classes that year. I don't think he ever scored a point in AMA/Supercross tho. When i look back on it, its like he never really quit riding except around that time when he coulda went full pro. He was among 5-6 fast guys that were in Keith Bowen, Eddie Warren, Jeff Stantons shadow and kinda got overlooked when it came time for factory rides.
JB 19 wrote:
Grewe scored like 16 pro points. That's why he can't ride the sportsman classes.
ah. yeah makes sense. thanks JB.
8/6/2017 10:18am
Are you guys fucking kidding me???? Has the age of everyone gets a participation trophy made it's way to the vet classes at a motorcycle race...
Are you guys fucking kidding me????

Has the age of everyone gets a participation trophy made it's way to the vet classes at a motorcycle race??

For those that cry about the working man deserves his chance... His chance at what? What is a 40yr old Moto X guy gonna get if he wins LLs? A factory KTM ride so he can dominate chicken licks raceway in bum fuck Paducah, KY? No. He is gonna get a trophy and that is about it. I would rather say I got 3rd, 4th, or whatever at LLs but was only beat by Mike Brown, John Dowd, Kris Keefer, Robbie Reynard.... whoever... instead of saying I won the 40+ class at LLs and in the process beat a bunch of dudes nobody has ever heard of.

And for context this is coming from a liberal "snowflake". Like someone said in an earlier post... If you want the trophy... Go Faster. Holy shit!
Careful. Your party would frown on this. If it was up to them we would have income equality. Great post BTW.
Indy mxer
8/6/2017 10:19am

ajk423 wrote:
Over half the guys there are doing it as a job. Most of the A and B riders, most of the super minis, and so on...
Over half the guys there are doing it as a job. Most of the A and B riders, most of the super minis, and so on. That's their job and they get paid. So they shouldn't race Loretta anymore?
We're talking about the Vet classes. +40 and up. Other than the ex-pro's, I'd bet 99% of the Vet guys have normal jobs.
bsharkey
8/6/2017 10:33am
Anyone 25 years old crying about about a 45 year old working them probably needs a safe space.
ATKpilot99 wrote:
You can say that but then again this is supposed to be an amateur event and you have former pros including national champions competing . They...
You can say that but then again this is supposed to be an amateur event and you have former pros including national champions competing . They should have their own class.
its been this way a long time. anyone going there needs to read the rules first. its your own fault if you dont
Indy mxer
8/6/2017 10:55am
Anyone 25 years old crying about about a 45 year old working them probably needs a safe space.
ATKpilot99 wrote:
You can say that but then again this is supposed to be an amateur event and you have former pros including national champions competing . They...
You can say that but then again this is supposed to be an amateur event and you have former pros including national champions competing . They should have their own class.
bsharkey wrote:
its been this way a long time. anyone going there needs to read the rules first. its your own fault if you dont
We're not arguing that it's illegal, just unfair. And just because "it's always been that way" doesn't mean it's right. imho
APLMAN99
8/6/2017 10:59am
Brown shouldn't be getting any heat, he's just playing by the rules in place.

The rules could definitely be better, though. Right now, it's only a two year "waiting period" between being a National pro and being able to race as an amateur. That's too short. A five year period should be the minimum, and perhaps a larger period for those who've won National titles or even events. Brown is on year four since his last National points this year.
bsharkey
8/6/2017 11:02am
lets just remember any class that's 25+ or over is " JUST FOR FUN"
olds cool
8/6/2017 11:05am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 11:06am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Solution get rid of the sandbagging C classes and make room for ex pro classes.

125 ex pro.
Open ex pro.

Problem solved.
olds cool wrote:
May solve the problem for some but not for MX Sports. How many ex-pros sign up for the qualifiers and regionals vs "C" class riders. Less...
May solve the problem for some but not for MX Sports. How many ex-pros sign up for the qualifiers and regionals vs "C" class riders. Less numbers = less registration $. Therein lies the problem...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I get that but honestly C classes shouldn't be national/championship classes. But I guess if you're making a Mint$ off of them the more the merrier...
I get that but honestly C classes shouldn't be national/championship classes.

But I guess if you're making a Mint$ off of them the more the merrier.

On the other hand don't like it, train and get faster. Besides that what difference does it make if they run in the +25 class? You're back at the ranch in an age class. News flash you're not going pro, that ship has sailed. Get over it and enjoy the week.

They've been retired from pro MX for a number of years and there's no pro classes at the ranch for them to compete in. +25 is the fastest of the available age classes and I'm not sure about the following but something tells me they are not eligible for the A classes. If they are then I'm not sure why they don't race those classes.

Where do you want them to go? Local pro races are not the same calibre racers as the ones found at the amateur nationals. The older pro guys like racing, battling and having fun just as much as we do. Battling with racers throughout a moto is a lot more fun than being miles ahead of everyone. If you're going to ride alone out front you might as well skip the expenses it takes to get to the ranch and stick to practice days.
Just for the record, I am a fan of Brownie. The only complaint I have with him is that he didn't wait to do this because I wanted to see him line up at Muddy Creek for a National before he called it a career. I know he wouldn't have won but I would have liked to have seen the old man dish out some butt hurt to some of the young pros.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
8/6/2017 11:27am
90smoto wrote:
Personally I think it would of been a class act move by Brownie to pull it over right before the checkers and let the class by...
Personally I think it would of been a class act move by Brownie to pull it over right before the checkers and let the class by in the 3rd +40 moto. The dudes accomplished so much in the sport and he would gain so much respect to do that by his fellow racers. They would all want to ride up to him or find him in the pits after the moto and give him a respected hand shake. It would of been a really cool story to end the week at Lorettas for everyone there. +25 I get it, you take that championship and be proud to whoop on the youngsters but come on brownie your in a different universe than the rest of the +40 guys.
As a racer, I'd rather get beaten straight up than win a race because the rider winning pulled over to let the field feel better about things.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/6/2017 11:47am
olds cool wrote:
May solve the problem for some but not for MX Sports. How many ex-pros sign up for the qualifiers and regionals vs "C" class riders. Less...
May solve the problem for some but not for MX Sports. How many ex-pros sign up for the qualifiers and regionals vs "C" class riders. Less numbers = less registration $. Therein lies the problem...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I get that but honestly C classes shouldn't be national/championship classes. But I guess if you're making a Mint$ off of them the more the merrier...
I get that but honestly C classes shouldn't be national/championship classes.

But I guess if you're making a Mint$ off of them the more the merrier.

On the other hand don't like it, train and get faster. Besides that what difference does it make if they run in the +25 class? You're back at the ranch in an age class. News flash you're not going pro, that ship has sailed. Get over it and enjoy the week.

They've been retired from pro MX for a number of years and there's no pro classes at the ranch for them to compete in. +25 is the fastest of the available age classes and I'm not sure about the following but something tells me they are not eligible for the A classes. If they are then I'm not sure why they don't race those classes.

Where do you want them to go? Local pro races are not the same calibre racers as the ones found at the amateur nationals. The older pro guys like racing, battling and having fun just as much as we do. Battling with racers throughout a moto is a lot more fun than being miles ahead of everyone. If you're going to ride alone out front you might as well skip the expenses it takes to get to the ranch and stick to practice days.
olds cool wrote:
Just for the record, I am a fan of Brownie. The only complaint I have with him is that he didn't wait to do this because...
Just for the record, I am a fan of Brownie. The only complaint I have with him is that he didn't wait to do this because I wanted to see him line up at Muddy Creek for a National before he called it a career. I know he wouldn't have won but I would have liked to have seen the old man dish out some butt hurt to some of the young pros.
LOL You can't always have your way but I get what you're saying. He was originally supposed to line up for a National or two up here but for some reason that didn't pan out. Maybe next year.

RudyRayMo
8/6/2017 12:22pm
EX pro class sounds good to me. If you ever had a pro license then that's where you race.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
8/6/2017 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 1:06pm
500guy wrote:
it depends on what you want. Do you want to be the best 40 yr old or do you want first place except XYZ wasn't allowed...
it depends on what you want.

Do you want to be the best 40 yr old or do you want first place except XYZ wasn't allowed to race?

There are 10 yr old kids there with full Factory support so that's a non issue.

Want a trophy get faster.
avidchimp wrote:
I agree with Jay. The support some of these kids get far outweighs the advantage of being a 40 year old national champ in the +25...
I agree with Jay.

The support some of these kids get far outweighs the advantage of being a 40 year old national champ in the +25 class. Suck it up, buttercups.
I agree with Jay and Chimp. Having what you perceive as an "Amatuer" championship is nuts.

If he qualified to run in the class then there should be no questions.........Jeez some of you jokers.

A few years ago I had to line up next to Chuck Sun, the 1980 AMA 500cc Champ at the two stroke championships........did I complain? Hell no, I was able to go bar to bar with Chuck for a lap.......coolest race I ever had.
8/6/2017 1:05pm
teamchrist wrote:
The thing I wonder is why are they not running in any of the A or pro sport classes? Instead of the vet classes.. is it...
The thing I wonder is why are they not running in any of the A or pro sport classes? Instead of the vet classes.. is it simply because they race their age or is it they don't wanna try as hard to run A or pro sport? I remember watching Carmichael at the area when he raced LL a couple years back. He was having to work hard in pro sport with Jeremy Martin, but run off and left everyone in 25+. Makes me think he didn't want to run that pace. Not saying he can't cause dude is beast. Carmichael is a bad dude on 2 wheels.
I'm pretty sure Emig did that and took the title away from an up and coming amateur kid. I might be wrong but I think that happened.
Braaaphole
8/6/2017 1:08pm
I was there and saw it. Mike Brown was on a different level than the rest of the field, however it's not like he was the only former pro lined up either. He's just the one that was the best prepared. We all know how fast Nathan Ramsey was back in the day, he had no problems running with Brown back then. This week, he wasn't close. The rules allow for them to come back and race, and I personally enjoy it. I thought it was awesome seeing Mike Brown out there doing what he loves. I don't believe a class for just former top pros would have enough draw, so mixing them in 25+ and 40+ works. If you don't want to run with those guys, run 30+, 45+, or 50+.
8/6/2017 1:11pm
RudyRayMo wrote:
EX pro class sounds good to me. If you ever had a pro license then that's where you race.
Exactly.

Why is it ex pro football players are not allow to return to college football for a couple more years of glory?

Is there any other sport where currently sponsored "ex" pros are allowed to compete against full time plumbers?

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
8/6/2017 1:21pm
Imo they should have a class or two
For ex pro's
But imo the bike difference is even bigger
I would like to See some production rules
Also would like to See some in the pro s
APLMAN99
8/6/2017 1:43pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I was there and saw it. Mike Brown was on a different level than the rest of the field, however it's not like he was the...
I was there and saw it. Mike Brown was on a different level than the rest of the field, however it's not like he was the only former pro lined up either. He's just the one that was the best prepared. We all know how fast Nathan Ramsey was back in the day, he had no problems running with Brown back then. This week, he wasn't close. The rules allow for them to come back and race, and I personally enjoy it. I thought it was awesome seeing Mike Brown out there doing what he loves. I don't believe a class for just former top pros would have enough draw, so mixing them in 25+ and 40+ works. If you don't want to run with those guys, run 30+, 45+, or 50+.
To be fair, Brown has been racing a close variant of MX at what would be considered a "pro level" until very recently. I don't think Ramsey has, but could be wrong about that. If Ramsey had been a factory supported off road racer for the last several years, he probably would have made Brown work a little harder......

5-10 year waiting period is a good first step in making this less of an issue. And count other off-road/dirt racing if it's on two wheels......
wpark89
8/6/2017 2:52pm
So many ignorant opinions.
There isn't enough ex pros to justify a special class.
These guys don't come for money or to steal a championship.
They don't come year after year. Usually once or twice then they're done.
After all the whiners a few years ago they said no pro card holders in the few classes.
That wasn't perfect and now they say no point earners. That's fair enough.
I don't know how the line could be drawn any better?
The Mike Browns go for a good week of racing. Because they like the event
and enjoy competing still. Because they are nostalgic about their youth
and time at the ranch. It's neat that they go. Don't ruin that for them.
Vet classes have always been by age! One you are 40 freaking years
old....no matter how fast you are or were, you deserve to line up with other
guys your age and not a full gate of 17 year old fearless A riders willing to break your leg.
Big names have won Vet races all over the country for decades. Whether it's Barnett
at Lorettas or Rex Staten at the Golden State Nationals. They're AGE classes and you can't
punish a few old guys for being good.

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
8/6/2017 3:14pm
Its called an AMATEUR Championship. How can it be a true amateur race if ex professionals are riding in it. If ex pros want to race they should have "LEGENDS" races.

I guess Mike Tyson should be able to go compete in the golden gloves again too....
bama205
8/6/2017 3:17pm
I think the 25 and 40 should be open to ex pros. The rest, leave to the am's. That's a fair solution.

I wasn't at LL all week, and I thought it was bad ass to be sitting next to brown in his gear, Thinking about how these guys all raced here as kids.
downard254
8/6/2017 3:29pm
OK guys, here's a good rule change.Smile The age class should be based on the year of the bike, not the age of the rider. We all cool with that.Cool
Mini Elsinore
8/6/2017 3:32pm
There is a poster earlier in this thread who made a very definitive and bold statement regarding the feelings of all the guys who were in Brownie's class this year. Now, if he would just post up that polling data...... Whistling
wpark89
8/6/2017 3:40pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Its called an AMATEUR Championship. How can it be a true amateur race if ex professionals are riding in it. If ex pros want to race...
Its called an AMATEUR Championship. How can it be a true amateur race if ex professionals are riding in it. If ex pros want to race they should have "LEGENDS" races.

I guess Mike Tyson should be able to go compete in the golden gloves again too....
How many times do you need to hear this....
There isn't enough of them for a Legends class.
And how would you determine who's a legend or not?
A guy who had a contract for 5 million? 50K....or a guy
who once made $150 bucks at a country fair AX?

If you want to take any professionalism out of the event
better eliminate any kid getting free bikes, parts, tear offs or anything!
You can't compare our sport to Football or Boxing..

For some it will never be perfect. But it's as fair as it could be
42 guys that are old enough line up on individually falling gates and
see who gets the the checkered flag first.

Adam43
8/6/2017 4:05pm
Hell hath no fury like a Vet rider entered into a class without rules specifically catered to him.
mxjon454
8/6/2017 4:21pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
bsharkey wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
We're not arguing that it's illegal, just unfair. And just because "it's always been that way" doesn't mean it's right. imho
Its "unfair" really? Hahaha gezzz hes racing the classes hes allowed to race, who the hell cares. People just need to get over it. Say if Brown didnt race and Joe Blow wouldve won the +25 class, would his life have changed after that? No it wouldnt.

Post a reply to: Mike Brown getting heat over LL?

The Latest