Any Skilled Tradesmen here I can ask some questions?

2/9/2019 7:12am
FedEx Express is hiring nationwide. Skilled trade or not, its a sophisticated job with an insane learning curve. Getting through the trials of gaining seniority can be hard too, just like the railroad. However we have never laid off a single employee ever.

Most markets start 18-20 an hour for local delivery drivers, and top out is usually 30 an hour with 3% annual adjustment for inflation. 401k with ludicrous company match, company pension, 2 whole weeks plus 4 personal pto at start, nutty good insurance and health benefits. $3,000 a semester tuition reimbursement.

Also, almost every company executive started as a part time package handler. We hire from within. We aren’t a union operation unless you’re a pilot.

I didn’t complete 8th grade and have everything I could want because of FedEx.
dmm698
2/9/2019 7:13am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 7:16am
I have nothing against trade jobs and you can make a very healthy living. Depending on what state you live in that could make a big difference. Having lived in Texas I can’t see Job sites paying union electricians 50$ an hour when there are plenty of other nationalities willing to do it much cheaper.

I have friends making a very good living in NY in electrician union. What I’ve noticed is they have no paid time off, union dues, working outside possibly year round (sucks up north). We 100% need trade jobs, so I’m in no way discouraging anyone from taking that route.

To all these people saying 250k in debt for a college degree seems like they havened opened their eyes to other avenues to degree completion. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Going to community college for 2 years, and finishing at at a 4 year university. Heck I attended a major engineering school for 3 semesters to finish my engineering degree, had essentially no debt, and my degree says the same thing on it as the folks who attended the same school for 4 years and paid 160-200k to do so. My Gf isn’t anywhere near 250k and she has a Doctorate in vet med.

Little 18 year old Sally and Johnny going to a 4 year school because they think college is just “what you do” and racking up 200k in debt over 5-6 years because they changed majors twice (because they didn’t know what they wanted to do) is the problem. Then add in the fact they graduate with a history/philosophy/arts degree, and who couldn’t of seen the writing on the wall they would be in big trouble finically when they finished. This is the problem.

The key isn’t all debt or pay, its finding something you can enjoy doing every day because you’ll spend a lot of your life working. I’m a firm believer in of you enjoy what you do you’ll never work a day in your life.

dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
2/9/2019 7:14am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 7:15am
How is moto-related? Asking for a friend.
kage173 wrote:
Dont be a dick
mxb2 wrote:
Not being a dick at.. There is a whole section for these topics. Or just post whatever we want.
The kid is asking moto folks about a good career choice to support his life, in which various aspects of moto are possibly involved. Works for me, and, by the looks of it, every other soul on here giving him advice. How's that?
jgourley124
2/9/2019 7:19am
Union Pipefitter here in NJ. Pay is great at $52/hr, but don’t let that number fool you. Roughly take home pay is $1300/wk. I did not know a thing about pipe when I first got in. I had a choice to do welding, but I went against for reasons like others have said, you don’t want to breath that shit in all day.

Any tradesmen will tell you, you make your own personal conditions and it’s an art to stay clean. I can grind and cut pipe just as good as the next guy, I just plan on staying clean and working safe. It can be back breaking, but always keep in mind “work smarter not harder”. I have had three back surgery’s and I’m still able to do my job daily because just following simple self taught rules and skills.

Most of our work is in refinery’s, power plants, pipelines etc. We do have work in new construction with HVAC and natural gas.

Myself I work for a maintenance department at a university which as others are saying, maintenance is the way to go. Hope this helps.

The Shop

Naanak
2/9/2019 7:23am
bdoza10 wrote:
Go to line school nothing touches that pay with a ten yard Stick without a masters or a PhD
They don’t have anytime to ride though. Definitely a great job but not much personal time. At least everyone I ask.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
2/9/2019 7:33am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 7:35am
My suggestion would be to learn many different “skilled” trades. I was fortunate to work with a remodeling contractor right out of HS who believed in his crew doing the majority of the work. I’ve been at it for 42 years now and never collected one unemployment check during that time and have worked every day I’ve wanted to. My main skill is finish carpentry but I also make very good wages doing plumbing, electrical, tile, concrete, wood flooring!and masonry. If you are skilled in one trade always keep your eyes and mind open when there are other trades working on your job site. You will learn more on the job site than any other form of teaching. Depending on where you chose to live you will have the opportunity to make pretty good wages. I bid my remodel jobs at a minimum of $110 a hour and we have clients booked into next fall waiting for me and my wife to get to them (sounds odd but she is very skilled at 3-4 trades and also a excellent designer).

If you are responsible, honest and reliable you will be set for a great career. A good 70/80% of trademen are complete flakes so be a normal human being and you will be way ahead of most of the field. And it’s very satisfying to see the finished product. My other advice is to learn what you can and once you are confident you need to go out on your own ASAP. I went from making wages of $30 or so an hour to triple that as soon as I got my own license. Being your ow boss is wonderful.

One last bit of advice. You will run across some very dangerous situations in many of the trades. NEVER put your health or life at risk to make a dollar. Much better to pass that one up and live a full life. I cannot think of anything worse than to lose ones life or be disabled due to a fucking job. Keep us posted and best of luck

BTW...there is a massive shortage of qualified tradesmen in the Country right now. Construction is booming like nothing I’ve ever seen and if you area is anything like it is here it is very hard to find anyone to do anything because they are so booked out. I turn down work daily and have had to work only for existing clients. It’s a great time to get into it
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/9/2019 7:34am
Just wear some steel toe boots though. You don't want to have to get Frank to snip off some crushed toes with some landscape pruners like what happened to Debbie. Mmmkay
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
2/9/2019 7:55am
If you don’t make money you aren’t going to be into moto...participating or spectating. 100% moto related
stillwelding
2/9/2019 8:09am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 8:10am
goinrcn44h wrote:
I've been in facilities, industrial, machinery mechanic trades for 30 years. I'm currently welding and fab on top of machinery mech for a navy contract. It's...
I've been in facilities, industrial, machinery mechanic trades for 30 years. I'm currently welding and fab on top of machinery mech for a navy contract. It's a hard but good gig and pays pretty good. There is a wide variety of mech type positions always out there but also a lot of pay swings too.
If I had it to do over, I'd go electrical and stick to a good union. A 20 year 01 electrician that is industrial commercial versed can damn near write their own check. 100 plus is very.common.
X2. I've been in the steel fab industry for 27 years as a fitter, and I wouldn't want to be a welder full time. You end...
X2. I've been in the steel fab industry for 27 years as a fitter, and I wouldn't want to be a welder full time. You end up eating smoke all day long, not good for the lungs. Not to mention most weld/fab shops are crapholes unless you get in on one that does nuke spec work. Also, the pays not that great in most places. As far as industrial maintenance, several places I've worked have had maintenance personnel. Again the pay and benefits aren't great at a lot of places, and it's a nasty job at times. Best to get trained as an electrician. You can make bank, and stay fairly clean.
This guys got it right. And I worked Space Shuttle program and JPL before going out welding on my own, 15 years ago.
mxb2
2/9/2019 8:15am
kage173 wrote:
Dont be a dick
mxb2 wrote:
Not being a dick at.. There is a whole section for these topics. Or just post whatever we want.
dadofagun wrote:
The kid is asking moto folks about a good career choice to support his life, in which various aspects of moto are possibly involved. Works for...
The kid is asking moto folks about a good career choice to support his life, in which various aspects of moto are possibly involved. Works for me, and, by the looks of it, every other soul on here giving him advice. How's that?
Ok justify it anyway you want. I ll.keep that in mind when i have nba posts, lol. Save moto money instead if going to a nba. Game.
braaap
Fantasy
2193rd
2/9/2019 8:19am
Chemical plant operator. In the Houston area the pay and benefits can’t be beat, especially when you work some overtime. Most of the larger facilities have starting pay around $30/hr and top pay is approaching $50. On average it takes about 5 years to get to top pay. You can add good medical coverage and 401k with company matching dollars on top of that.

Most of the smaller plants don’t require previous experience or a degree but are normally more labor intensive. A lot of people start in places like this to gain experience and then apply for places like Shell, Exxon, Chevron, etc. These places are large “continuous flow” plants where the labor is almost non-existant.

One of the negatives for some people is that shift work is required. Most of these places work the DuPont 12 hour/day rotating schedule which has a built in ‘long change’ which gives you 7 straight days off each month. It’s based on a 28 day work month and you are scheduled to work 14 and off 14.

I’ve been in one plant for 30 years and do not regret not finishing college. It has paid the bills extremely well.

Oh yeah, Houston and Texas in general has quite a few very good MX tracks.
Mr. G
2/9/2019 8:26am
Been a fire sprinkler contractor since 84. Last 21 years self employed. Become an electrician. More work.
2/9/2019 8:28am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 2:20pm
Hvac
r.sal923 wrote:
That’s what I do, Good money . I am turning away work every day. Also plumbing is a good one, the reason I say plumbing is...
That’s what I do, Good money . I am turning away work every day. Also plumbing is a good one, the reason I say plumbing is because of the service work. People seam to pay when they are in need of heat,a/c,backed up or leaky plumbing.
I'm a carpenter by trade. Decent money. I should of went into the hvac field. My buddy is hvac commercial contractor . Making over 200 grand a year. Stress is high from bullshit chargebacks.
Carpentry is not enough to live on here in ca.
So I flip homes and have rentals. Main job is a project manager for a big company.
2/9/2019 8:30am
I have also been an Instrument /Controls Tech for 40 years . 2 year Associate degree. I just retired at 58, so more time to ride !! I highly recommend this field, and working to get my 23 yr old son into it, but he likes working in a Yamaha dealership.
2/9/2019 8:31am
goinrcn44h wrote:
I've been in facilities, industrial, machinery mechanic trades for 30 years. I'm currently welding and fab on top of machinery mech for a navy contract. It's...
I've been in facilities, industrial, machinery mechanic trades for 30 years. I'm currently welding and fab on top of machinery mech for a navy contract. It's a hard but good gig and pays pretty good. There is a wide variety of mech type positions always out there but also a lot of pay swings too.
If I had it to do over, I'd go electrical and stick to a good union. A 20 year 01 electrician that is industrial commercial versed can damn near write their own check. 100 plus is very.common.
X2. I've been in the steel fab industry for 27 years as a fitter, and I wouldn't want to be a welder full time. You end...
X2. I've been in the steel fab industry for 27 years as a fitter, and I wouldn't want to be a welder full time. You end up eating smoke all day long, not good for the lungs. Not to mention most weld/fab shops are crapholes unless you get in on one that does nuke spec work. Also, the pays not that great in most places. As far as industrial maintenance, several places I've worked have had maintenance personnel. Again the pay and benefits aren't great at a lot of places, and it's a nasty job at times. Best to get trained as an electrician. You can make bank, and stay fairly clean.
Have heard the saying of "You never get to meet a old welder"
7I3N
2/9/2019 8:37am

Bermworm
2/9/2019 8:39am
The very best Vital has to offer on display right here.Thank you everybody.
moto62z
2/9/2019 8:48am
Have you considered the machining industry? Employers are begging for people who can program and run CNC milling machines. I know of companies that have immediate needs and the pay is 80K with full benefits. Machinists that can program and run 5 axis machines can easily get 120k a year. If your interested, there are vocation schools like the NTMA that are very affordable.
Gale19XX
2/9/2019 8:50am
I'm a Journeyman Lineman now with a large utility in Iowa. Going back to school to learn a trade was the best decision I've made. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the trade, but it worked out. I'd recommend this to anyone.

If you're willing to travel theres big money to be made. California is booming right now, and we've had a lot of guys quit here recently to chase money out there.
2/9/2019 9:33am
Gale19XX wrote:
I'm a Journeyman Lineman now with a large utility in Iowa. Going back to school to learn a trade was the best decision I've made. I...
I'm a Journeyman Lineman now with a large utility in Iowa. Going back to school to learn a trade was the best decision I've made. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the trade, but it worked out. I'd recommend this to anyone.

If you're willing to travel theres big money to be made. California is booming right now, and we've had a lot of guys quit here recently to chase money out there.
Yes it's booming here also a lot of city run utilities are hiring linemen. Great money
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
2/9/2019 9:55am
My advice would be to check with your local utility and try and get on there. Be it electric, gas, water etc. Good jobs with good benefits usually.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/9/2019 10:05am
pete24 wrote:
if you love motorcycles be a motorcycle mechanic, if you want to
make a lot of money don't be a motorcycle mechanic
Even if you love motorcycles don't be a motorcycle mechanic because then you will be poor and wont love motorcyclesWink
Forty
2/9/2019 10:14am
kage173 wrote:
Dont be a dick
That's good advice.
rstaichi
2/9/2019 10:18am
Union plumber in Seattle Washington $61 plus benefits. Make sure you pick a trade that will have work when the economy crash’s again. There will always be service work.
2/9/2019 10:21am
rstaichi wrote:
Union plumber in Seattle Washington $61 plus benefits. Make sure you pick a trade that will have work when the economy crash’s again. There will always...
Union plumber in Seattle Washington $61 plus benefits. Make sure you pick a trade that will have work when the economy crash’s again. There will always be service work.
Only problem with union work at least here in ca, Is the travelling. Here in ca. The carpenter's unions jobs can have you travelling all over the state. That s why I never joined. Stayed local
Hcallz5
2/9/2019 10:22am
I am finishing up my electrical apprenticeship right now. Pay varies greatly from state to state keep that in mind. It's booming out here in UT so hopefully the pay catches up soon. Lineman are on the road a lot, a good gig if you don't have family. Inside sparkys don't get paid as well but you get to be home every night (usually).
2/9/2019 10:23am
kage173 wrote:
Dont be a dick
Forty wrote:
That's good advice.
How is it being a dick when someone points out that there is a non-moto section specifically for topics such as this one?
Forty
2/9/2019 10:28am
kage173 wrote:
Dont be a dick
Forty wrote:
That's good advice.
How is it being a dick when someone points out that there is a non-moto section specifically for topics such as this one?
I don’t care where this thread lands I’m just saying “don’t be a dick” is good advice.

Post a reply to: Any Skilled Tradesmen here I can ask some questions?

The Latest