Any Skilled Tradesmen here I can ask some questions?

Ktmscout
2/9/2019 3:12pm
Ktmscout wrote:
Take a look at the Elevator Constructors. The type of work performed varies and is similar to many of the previously listed. One day you can...
Take a look at the Elevator Constructors.
The type of work performed varies and is similar to many of the previously listed.
One day you can be welding machine beams down and the next be wiring a complex industrial control system.
It consistently rates as one of the number one “blue collar” trades.
There is a comprehensive 4 year apprenticeship program.
The pay and benefits are second to none.
Are you an elevator guy? I just got my mechanic license a few months ago. Its a tough trade to get into but definitely a good...
Are you an elevator guy? I just got my mechanic license a few months ago. Its a tough trade to get into but definitely a good one!
Yep
In Local 21 here in Dallas.
trwright3
2/9/2019 3:16pm
I build things. Started when I was 4 and was running crews at 20. Electrician wouldn’t be bad. Idk about plumbing lol. I’d go with framing than you can drive around and say I built that road or bank/church. Oh and the views ??

2/9/2019 3:19pm
trwright3 wrote:
I build things. Started when I was 4 and was running crews at 20. Electrician wouldn’t be bad. Idk about plumbing lol. I’d go with framing...
I build things. Started when I was 4 and was running crews at 20. Electrician wouldn’t be bad. Idk about plumbing lol. I’d go with framing than you can drive around and say I built that road or bank/church. Oh and the views ??

Good looking work! Framers here in ca don't make shit. Unless it's a side job.
trwright3
2/9/2019 3:23pm
trwright3 wrote:
I build things. Started when I was 4 and was running crews at 20. Electrician wouldn’t be bad. Idk about plumbing lol. I’d go with framing...

Kansas isn’t that bad. Of course wish it was more but some days I’d do it for free. Trick is finding guys with any knowledge and getting them to stick around. Let alone having them show up everyday.

The Shop

350ss
2/9/2019 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 3:25pm
Working in a trade, what do you do if/when you get injured?

I took a trip over the bars and had broken/bruised ribs and messed up back but was able to limp to my desk/computer on monday though I barely could get out of the chair at the end of the day. Wouldn’t have made it having to do something physical though I guess the same can be said if I broke an arm or hand.

No longer want to work in an office/desk job but always worried what happens in a job where you couldn’t recover while working.
2/9/2019 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 3:25pm
Ktmscout wrote:
Yep
In Local 21 here in Dallas.
Cool. Local 18 san diego! Cheers.
mister2dt
2/9/2019 3:24pm
Union Pipefitter here in NJ. Pay is great at $52/hr, but don’t let that number fool you. Roughly take home pay is $1300/wk. I did not...
Union Pipefitter here in NJ. Pay is great at $52/hr, but don’t let that number fool you. Roughly take home pay is $1300/wk. I did not know a thing about pipe when I first got in. I had a choice to do welding, but I went against for reasons like others have said, you don’t want to breath that shit in all day.

Any tradesmen will tell you, you make your own personal conditions and it’s an art to stay clean. I can grind and cut pipe just as good as the next guy, I just plan on staying clean and working safe. It can be back breaking, but always keep in mind “work smarter not harder”. I have had three back surgery’s and I’m still able to do my job daily because just following simple self taught rules and skills.

Most of our work is in refinery’s, power plants, pipelines etc. We do have work in new construction with HVAC and natural gas.

Myself I work for a maintenance department at a university which as others are saying, maintenance is the way to go. Hope this helps.
This is key, dont let the union pay fool you. I own a CNC machine shop and am always looking for skilled machinists. I get resumes from northern states all of the time and they refuse to acknowledge our pay scales outside of union shops. They look at the hourly rate and laugh, even though the take home is the same. Benefits are better than union, 401k is better than union. But, because the hourly rate isnt astronomical like union shops, they wont even come walk around my shop. Its a joke, take home is what matters. It i can pay you $25 an hour and your take home is the same as a union job at $46 an hour, and my benefits are better? What is the issue?

Again, dont let the union hourly rates sucker you out of a good non union job
Coach529
2/9/2019 3:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 4:02pm
Master Electrician, been in the field for 20 years. Would not change a thing. Started right out of college with a 2 year degree.
GasGasOrAss
2/9/2019 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 3:31pm
By the way, what is "line school"?
A course to teach the basics of lineman work. If you want to be a lineman you will have to go to line school before applying for an apprenticeship.
At the utility I work for it goes: line school -> groundman -> apprentice lineman -> journeyman lineman.

A lot of larger utilities offer their own line school. Some community colleges/tech schools do also. And there are some that are just plain line schools such as the northwest lineman college
trwright3
2/9/2019 3:28pm
350ss wrote:
Working in a trade, what do you do if/when you get injured? I took a trip over the bars and had broken/bruised ribs and messed up...

I took a trip over the bars and had broken/bruised ribs and messed up back but was able to limp to my desk/computer on monday though I barely could get out of the chair at the end of the day. Wouldn’t have made it having to do something physical though I guess the same can be said if I broke an arm or hand.

No longer want to work in an office/desk job but always worried what happens in a job where you couldn’t recover while working.
I go to work lol. Crashed 60 stitches in knee at work next day. Did fall off a ladder but was at work so had to take a week and half off. Thank god for work comp?
p3fab
2/9/2019 3:31pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I'm an aerospace toolmaker/jig and fixture builder which is a skilled trade. Sort of a cross between a quality person using precision measurement equipment, a machinist...
I'm an aerospace toolmaker/jig and fixture builder which is a skilled trade. Sort of a cross between a quality person using precision measurement equipment, a machinist, and a mechanic. It combines working with computers and your hands at the same time. The short version of the job description is you build and maintain aircraft assembly fixtures. Obviously aircraft are built to pretty tight tolerances so the jigs have to be constantly worked. You can also expand into structure like ship building. It has afforded me a lot of amazing opportunities. I've worked for SpaceX building launch pads for rockets, contracted for NASA helping build their new SLS rocket, and right now I'm working at Lockheed helping build the F-35 stealth fighter. The industry is starving for new blood because no one is picking this industry up anymore. Worth a look if you like that sort of thing.
I agree. I am an in the aerospace union as a pattern maker. There is a large generation gap
pdub187
Fantasy
2544th
2/9/2019 3:32pm
I'm an industrial electrician working primarily within the water infrastructure industry. It's a good job and if you really want some extra money you can always jump out to mining/gas for a few years and come home pretty sorted.

The only real negative is the wear and tear on your body compared to an office job. That and it's a lot harder to hide a limp after a fall on the weekend when you have to walk around a site all day in workboots. I know my beat ass ankles some days wish I had a job where I could spend more time sitting down.
plowboy
2/9/2019 3:36pm
Electrician/plumbing field are lifelong money makers. My old Grandpa was a plumber. His motto: payday is Friday and shit won't float uphill.
2/9/2019 3:43pm
350ss wrote:
Working in a trade, what do you do if/when you get injured? I took a trip over the bars and had broken/bruised ribs and messed up...

This is another reason I took a project manager job. Great benefits and able to work with broken bones. If I was still a contractor. It wouldn't make sense to ride dirtbikes.
2/9/2019 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 3:52pm
trwright3 wrote:

trwright3 wrote:
Kansas isn’t that bad. Of course wish it was more but some days I’d do it for free. Trick is finding guys with any knowledge and...
Kansas isn’t that bad. Of course wish it was more but some days I’d do it for free. Trick is finding guys with any knowledge and getting them to stick around. Let alone having them show up everyday.
Here in ca, it's all piece work. (Insert nationality) will underbid and do shit work. Most don't pay the required insurances so they can inderbid you everytime. Some bids I see are so insanely low. I can not understand how they are making a profit. Sheetrockers hate them also. Makes more work for them.
I like the custom work you did. That is quality
GasGasOrAss
2/9/2019 3:51pm
plowboy wrote:
Electrician/plumbing field are lifelong money makers. My old Grandpa was a plumber. His motto: payday is Friday and shit won't float uphill.
My motto as an electrician: if I were any dumber I’d be a plumber Smile
Hcallz5
2/9/2019 3:52pm
My foreman was making $4k per week after tax up in North Dakota during the oil push. I wish something like that would come along again so I could buy a house real quick!
plowboy
2/9/2019 3:54pm
plowboy wrote:
My motto as an electrician: if I were any dumber I’d be a plumber Smile
Lol...jerk.
mxracer71
Fantasy
2449th
2/9/2019 3:57pm
im in the sheetmetal union.. we make 45hr. my buddy is in the elevator union and i believe they are almost at 60hr and all there overtime is double time. Usually the ones on the job the longest seem to be the hvac guys and the electricians. Not a bad gig making 95k a year plus overtime. My wife just graduated nursing school... i know thats not a trade but there was quite a few guys in that program. Kaiser pays there nurses almost 73hr! that job will always b e in demand and you work 3 days a week at 12hr days.
Tim507
2/9/2019 3:58pm
I'm tradesman (the trade is not important) the career path is the key. Apprentice to JM to PM to Business Owner to semi retired working to help an entrepreneur develop his business....I'm 66 and make well north of 100K plus Bonus. Be creative and honest, work hard and be disciplined....
2/9/2019 4:04pm
mxracer71 wrote:
im in the sheetmetal union.. we make 45hr. my buddy is in the elevator union and i believe they are almost at 60hr and all there...
im in the sheetmetal union.. we make 45hr. my buddy is in the elevator union and i believe they are almost at 60hr and all there overtime is double time. Usually the ones on the job the longest seem to be the hvac guys and the electricians. Not a bad gig making 95k a year plus overtime. My wife just graduated nursing school... i know thats not a trade but there was quite a few guys in that program. Kaiser pays there nurses almost 73hr! that job will always b e in demand and you work 3 days a week at 12hr days.
The elevator union is hard as hell to get into here in ca. Also you must be young if you go into new construction. Service work is still hard work. Motors are insanely heavy and mostly located in tight spaces.
GasGasOrAss
2/9/2019 4:16pm
mxracer71 wrote:
im in the sheetmetal union.. we make 45hr. my buddy is in the elevator union and i believe they are almost at 60hr and all there...
The elevator union is hard as hell to get into here in ca. Also you must be young if you go into new construction. Service work...
The elevator union is hard as hell to get into here in ca. Also you must be young if you go into new construction. Service work is still hard work. Motors are insanely heavy and mostly located in tight spaces.
Elevator union is probably the hardest to get into. You better be connected or very very lucky
2/9/2019 4:20pm
This thread is very moto related because there are SO MANY BLUE COLLAR tradesmen and hard workers here who all have moto in common. Let the men share their trade info for everyone to see who want out of their cubicle, college, etc. Don’t shun this thread. Who cares where it belongs.

This may be the best, most friendly thread I’ve read on Vital and it’s all by the same common folk who take pride in their work- much of which are keeping the lights on, the water running, the gas burning, and the goods delivered. As long as it stays civil, this should be a top topic. Keeping motocross enthusiasts wealthy and spending money on motocross is the most important topic here.
selous scout
Ft Victoria Rhodesia/ Jarrettsville Md/, MD US
Fantasy
3966th
2/9/2019 4:31pm
Have been a Electrician for 40 plus years 20 owning my small contracting Company, find a good trade programme and apprenticeship apply yourself and you'll never be sorry, good luck boet.
trwright3
2/9/2019 5:00pm
trwright3 wrote:
Kansas isn’t that bad. Of course wish it was more but some days I’d do it for free. Trick is finding guys with any knowledge and...
Here in ca, it's all piece work. (Insert nationality) will underbid and do shit work. Most don't pay the required insurances so they can inderbid you...
Here in ca, it's all piece work. (Insert nationality) will underbid and do shit work. Most don't pay the required insurances so they can inderbid you everytime. Some bids I see are so insanely low. I can not understand how they are making a profit. Sheetrockers hate them also. Makes more work for them.
I like the custom work you did. That is quality
I appreciate it. Here your supposed to be licensed and insured doesn’t change those that go behind and skate. Very busy here atleast for me. Helps when you do work at a good pace. Some think it’s hard work but if you like it and do things efficient it’s not that bad at all. Having a 8’000 lb cat sure makes heavy things not so heavy.
trwright3
2/9/2019 5:04pm
This thread is very moto related because there are SO MANY BLUE COLLAR tradesmen and hard workers here who all have moto in common. Let the...
This thread is very moto related because there are SO MANY BLUE COLLAR tradesmen and hard workers here who all have moto in common. Let the men share their trade info for everyone to see who want out of their cubicle, college, etc. Don’t shun this thread. Who cares where it belongs.

This may be the best, most friendly thread I’ve read on Vital and it’s all by the same common folk who take pride in their work- much of which are keeping the lights on, the water running, the gas burning, and the goods delivered. As long as it stays civil, this should be a top topic. Keeping motocross enthusiasts wealthy and spending money on motocross is the most important topic here.
My man ?
2/9/2019 5:20pm
I worked as an elevator mechanic for 25 years,starting in construction and moving into maintenance later. From there I was able to continue as an elevator inspector for the state of Michigan. It can be tough to break into,but has allowed me to have a comfortable life,with good pay and benefits. The union puts you through an educational program when you start,and you get on the job training as you go.I was lucky to break into the trade in Houston in the construction boom in the early 80s,I was fresh out of the Marines,so maybe that helped.
newmann
2/9/2019 5:23pm
How is moto-related? Asking for a friend.
Pretty simple, many moto types are employed in the skilled trades. Pretty deep pool of brains to pick right here. I realize it's popular to have a degree in feminism these days, but it ain't for everybody.
2/9/2019 5:31pm
If I could do it all over again. I would of went into law enforcement like the rest of my family. The retirement is insane for ca cops. Especially if you get hurt and medically retire. Pension for life tax free.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/9/2019 5:32pm
350ss wrote:

Disability insurance.

Post a reply to: Any Skilled Tradesmen here I can ask some questions?

The Latest