Any Skilled Tradesmen here I can ask some questions?

motogrady
2/10/2019 7:04am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2019 7:19am
trwright3 wrote:
Speaking of tradesmen w [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/10/324495/s1200_image.jpg[/img]ho’s grinding on a Sunday?
Speaking of tradesmen w ho’s grinding on a Sunday?

That's a good pile of lumber there.
motogrady
2/10/2019 7:11am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2019 7:14am
trwright3 wrote:
Speaking of tradesmen w [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/10/324495/s1200_image.jpg[/img]ho’s grinding on a Sunday?
Speaking of tradesmen w ho’s grinding on a Sunday?
My labor of love today.

Kinda got that Johnny Cash feeling goin on.

"In a Sunday mornin hallway......I'm wishing Lord that I was stoned......"
GasGasOrAss
2/10/2019 7:22am
Lineman is good, but some colleges offer a relay course now for Substation repair as well. Guaranteed job placement in the utility field which pretty much...
Lineman is good, but some colleges offer a relay course now for Substation repair as well. Guaranteed job placement in the utility field which pretty much puts you in the 6 figure salary in a few years.
This is great advice. And I’m thinking of exploring this opportunity within the utility I work for. Protection control and metering (or a relay tech) is pretty similar to instrumentation, but it is power systems version. Being a plant operator is great but working 12 hour shifts gets old...although there is a lot time off. The relay techs work 4 10s which is titties
Naanak
2/10/2019 7:27am
FLmxer wrote:
Sea school is an option. Fishing, sight seeing, shelling Charters, deliver boats, shuttle boats, Sea tow, towboatUS etc.
Never thought about some of them but that might be a cool job. Is the pay and benefits decent?

The Shop

Naanak
2/10/2019 7:28am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2019 7:35am
FLmxer wrote:
Sea school is an option. Fishing, sight seeing, shelling Charters, deliver boats, shuttle boats, Sea tow, towboatUS etc.
Never thought about some of them but that might be a cool job. Is the pay and benefits decent? Damn double post
logan_140
2/10/2019 7:35am
Lineman is good, but some colleges offer a relay course now for Substation repair as well. Guaranteed job placement in the utility field which pretty much...
Lineman is good, but some colleges offer a relay course now for Substation repair as well. Guaranteed job placement in the utility field which pretty much puts you in the 6 figure salary in a few years.
This is great advice. And I’m thinking of exploring this opportunity within the utility I work for. Protection control and metering (or a relay tech) is...
This is great advice. And I’m thinking of exploring this opportunity within the utility I work for. Protection control and metering (or a relay tech) is pretty similar to instrumentation, but it is power systems version. Being a plant operator is great but working 12 hour shifts gets old...although there is a lot time off. The relay techs work 4 10s which is titties
I applied for a relay tech learner position with duke energy. Said I didn’t need any experience but we’ll see ?
GasGasOrAss
2/10/2019 7:59am
This is great advice. And I’m thinking of exploring this opportunity within the utility I work for. Protection control and metering (or a relay tech) is...
logan_140 wrote:
I applied for a relay tech learner position with duke energy. Said I didn’t need any experience but we’ll see ?
Nice. Good luck. Where I work you don’t need any work experience but they prefer you to have gone to a tech school for electrical relaying or something field related.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
2/10/2019 8:08am
FLmxer wrote:
Naanak wrote:
Never thought about some of them but that might be a cool job. Is the pay and benefits decent?
I shattered my feet at Gatorback after high school and dad suggested sea school. I was a captain for 22 years and upgraded my license each time I got hurt in moto. Every time I was in sea school I had a cast on.
Home by noon with 500 in pocket most days but 3 times that when I wanted to do multiple trips a day. The problem is that there is a phone book of captains out there so a lot of competition. My location and some good luck helped quite a bit and I was doing great on the tournament trails so I had a bit of advertisement. I borrowed a boat my first year out of high school and put an ad in the local tourist guide and made around 50k my first year and then just snowballed into too much clientele. Never once had a bad trip. It was a great experience. Retired after 22 years after the sun had its way with me and been extra lucky in my real estate investments. Now i fish for fun.
The major tow companies do have good pay and benefits.
2/10/2019 8:38am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2019 8:40am
brocster wrote:
Never heard of our craft being referred to as mechatronics. Its mostly called instrumentation, instrument and controls, controls and automation, controls system technician. Can also be...
Never heard of our craft being referred to as mechatronics. Its mostly called instrumentation, instrument and controls, controls and automation, controls system technician. Can also be related to metrology as that is the calibration used as the standard for calibration traceability.
logan_140 wrote:
Ah okay gotcha. Sounds very interesting. I’m 22 and pretty much in the same boat as the OP. This is what mechatronics is. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/10/324497/s1200_3C75DB42_4E68_43E1_8D55_8AB9F94AABC1.jpg[/img]
Ah okay gotcha. Sounds very interesting. I’m 22 and pretty much in the same boat as the OP. This is what mechatronics is.
brocster wrote:
That appears to be for more of assebly line or conveying type machinery. Like a bottling company, packaging company. It’s similar and in the same family...
That appears to be for more of assebly line or conveying type machinery. Like a bottling company, packaging company. It’s similar and in the same family but instrumentation would be more industrial. Pulp and paper, energy plants ( co gen or nuclear), refining and chemical plants etc. etc.
Instrumentation is how Plants automatically control pressures, temperatures, flows, and levels of the process. This field is constantly advancing, and will always need Techs to maintain and set-up the control valves, transmitters, and DCS systems to make sure these industries run 24/7 . Different Plants include Chemical, Refineries, Power Plants, Water and Wastewater treatment plants. I have worked in all of these places, plus prisons, hospitals, colleges, pipelines, NASA, slaughter houses, and even a government facility that assembles Nukes ! There will always be a demand for this.
roguemx
2/10/2019 8:41am
Gale19XX wrote:
I'm a Journeyman Lineman now with a large utility in Iowa. Going back to school to learn a trade was the best decision I've made. I...
I'm a Journeyman Lineman now with a large utility in Iowa. Going back to school to learn a trade was the best decision I've made. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the trade, but it worked out. I'd recommend this to anyone.

If you're willing to travel theres big money to be made. California is booming right now, and we've had a lot of guys quit here recently to chase money out there.
Naanak wrote:
How is your work life balance? Everyone I talk to says it’s pretty bad. I don’t mind working a lot but I do want time to...
How is your work life balance? Everyone I talk to says it’s pretty bad. I don’t mind working a lot but I do want time to ride.
I’m a journeyman lineman in California, it all depends on which route you take as far as work to home life ratio. I work at a major utility and have a great balance, outside contractors make more money but also work a hell of a lot more. I’ve worked, contract, utility, and municipality and they’ve all treated me really well. All in all amazing trade, been at it almost 10 years and it’s taken great care of my family and I. I don’t owe a nickel to any school, and make a healthy amount of money.
2/10/2019 8:46am Edited Date/Time 2/10/2019 8:51am
When I first got into Industrial work when I was 18, I was working as a Pipefitter's Helper on a new Plant construction site. I would be in the Toolroom line at 7am with about 40-50 lb buckets of wrenches in each hand. I see these 2 dudes walking around looking at transmitters, and he pulls out a small screwdriver from his pocket and begins calibrating the instrument. I said, 'who are those dude, they carry their tools in their pockets ?". My friend said, "those are Instrument Techs !". I said," I want to be one of them !!!". And I changed professions !
The majority of my work, was done with a screwdriver a crescent wrench , and my laptop.
2/10/2019 9:08am
Owning a car wash is where the big money and cars are at
brocster
2/10/2019 9:08am
When I first got into Industrial work when I was 18, I was working as a Pipefitter's Helper on a new Plant construction site. I would...
When I first got into Industrial work when I was 18, I was working as a Pipefitter's Helper on a new Plant construction site. I would be in the Toolroom line at 7am with about 40-50 lb buckets of wrenches in each hand. I see these 2 dudes walking around looking at transmitters, and he pulls out a small screwdriver from his pocket and begins calibrating the instrument. I said, 'who are those dude, they carry their tools in their pockets ?". My friend said, "those are Instrument Techs !". I said," I want to be one of them !!!". And I changed professions !
The majority of my work, was done with a screwdriver a crescent wrench , and my laptop.
Definitely the envy of all other “hard crafts”. Before moving into leadership I moved into Analyzers (process, specifically GC’s and CEMS) and was on the gravy train for quite some time. I too have worked in every division under the umbrella of a major oil company. Upstream, Downstream, Transportation and Distribution and pipelines. When I was looking to move out West with the resume I had. Finding a job was quite easy and quick. I am now in the water and wastewater industry working 4 -10’s and will retire in 8 years with two pensions. Wasn’t exactly my career path but it ended up providing me with a pretty dam good living and promising retirement.
2/10/2019 9:45am
I am a CT tech at a peaking power plant, we do everything since we are small in numbers. We do all maint, calibrations, troubleshooting, operations, you name it. But yeah, we work 12hr rotating shifts, nights, holidays and weekends. It does give you a fair amount of time off during the week to enjoy your hobbies while the family is at work/school, so it does have some advantages. Pay is excellent, alot of great experience that can be turned into a job traveling the world if you should desire such a thing.
logan_140
2/10/2019 10:59am
logan_140 wrote:
Ah okay gotcha. Sounds very interesting. I’m 22 and pretty much in the same boat as the OP. This is what mechatronics is. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/10/324497/s1200_3C75DB42_4E68_43E1_8D55_8AB9F94AABC1.jpg[/img]
Ah okay gotcha. Sounds very interesting. I’m 22 and pretty much in the same boat as the OP. This is what mechatronics is.
brocster wrote:
That appears to be for more of assebly line or conveying type machinery. Like a bottling company, packaging company. It’s similar and in the same family...
That appears to be for more of assebly line or conveying type machinery. Like a bottling company, packaging company. It’s similar and in the same family but instrumentation would be more industrial. Pulp and paper, energy plants ( co gen or nuclear), refining and chemical plants etc. etc.
Instrumentation is how Plants automatically control pressures, temperatures, flows, and levels of the process. This field is constantly advancing, and will always need Techs to maintain...
Instrumentation is how Plants automatically control pressures, temperatures, flows, and levels of the process. This field is constantly advancing, and will always need Techs to maintain and set-up the control valves, transmitters, and DCS systems to make sure these industries run 24/7 . Different Plants include Chemical, Refineries, Power Plants, Water and Wastewater treatment plants. I have worked in all of these places, plus prisons, hospitals, colleges, pipelines, NASA, slaughter houses, and even a government facility that assembles Nukes ! There will always be a demand for this.
Do you go to a tech school for this? What is the degree called?
stillwelding
2/10/2019 11:14am
I’m only making money when the hoods down. All the rest is administration. Ordering material, paying bills, brokering jobs, visiting vendors, keeping employees busy, etc.

logan_140
2/10/2019 11:31am
logan_140 wrote:
Hey also what would be the best way to start working towards being a relay tech? Are there schools for it or what?
Shawn142
2/10/2019 12:36pm
How does one get into the aerospace field? Find a company and apply? Engineering degrees? Entry level worth it?
Here's the funny thing, on the engineering side things are super competitive. The engineers I work with are from top schools and have Masters degrees or years of experience. To break into the hourly/union you just need to stand out a bit. For tooling/production/other hourly jobs it really helps to maybe do some trade school classes for machining, learn to read engineering blueprints and understand GD&T. Those things alone can get you in the door because it's so industry specific. Is it worth your time? Absolutely. Besides getting some amazing opportunities via my job, it also pays very well once you're established. Entry level probably isn't fantastic, you'll be looking at the low to mid teens for a starting pay. But if you stick with the industry or move around after you get some experience you can increase that quickly. 10 years ago I took a 4 dollar paycut to start in the industry at 11 bucks an hour. Now I'm making over 6 figures yearly.
p3fab
2/10/2019 12:52pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I'm an aerospace toolmaker/jig and fixture builder which is a skilled trade. Sort of a cross between a quality person using precision measurement equipment, a machinist...
I'm an aerospace toolmaker/jig and fixture builder which is a skilled trade. Sort of a cross between a quality person using precision measurement equipment, a machinist, and a mechanic. It combines working with computers and your hands at the same time. The short version of the job description is you build and maintain aircraft assembly fixtures. Obviously aircraft are built to pretty tight tolerances so the jigs have to be constantly worked. You can also expand into structure like ship building. It has afforded me a lot of amazing opportunities. I've worked for SpaceX building launch pads for rockets, contracted for NASA helping build their new SLS rocket, and right now I'm working at Lockheed helping build the F-35 stealth fighter. The industry is starving for new blood because no one is picking this industry up anymore. Worth a look if you like that sort of thing.
p3fab wrote:
I agree. I am an in the aerospace union as a pattern maker. There is a large generation gap
How does one get into the aerospace field? Find a company and apply? Engineering degrees? Entry level worth it?
A little different in my case I’m sure but it’s what my dad did when I was growing up. When I graduated high school I had a job the next day. We have an apprenticeship program usually you work for awhile and prove yourself a bit. Since I started in at 18 I can retire at 48 with a full pension. My dad was the same started at 18 just retired last year at 50.
Kkawi
2/10/2019 6:35pm
I’m only making money when the hoods down. All the rest is administration. Ordering material, paying bills, brokering jobs, visiting vendors, keeping employees busy, etc. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/10/324545/s1200_CF84EF9E_2F02_42F4_B215_90AD5F0F638C.jpg[/img]
I’m only making money when the hoods down. All the rest is administration. Ordering material, paying bills, brokering jobs, visiting vendors, keeping employees busy, etc.

is it just not possible to wear a respirator every time you weld? It would be cool if I could do welding+something else,but the fumes do make me not want to. My friend told me he wears a respirator when they weld chromoly because chromium is very toxic, but I'm assuming its just not feasible to always do that every time you need to weld anything, or you might get looked down on by coworkers?
Gale19XX
2/10/2019 8:25pm
Gale19XX wrote:
I'm a Journeyman Lineman now with a large utility in Iowa. Going back to school to learn a trade was the best decision I've made. I...
I'm a Journeyman Lineman now with a large utility in Iowa. Going back to school to learn a trade was the best decision I've made. I went in knowing absolutely nothing about the trade, but it worked out. I'd recommend this to anyone.

If you're willing to travel theres big money to be made. California is booming right now, and we've had a lot of guys quit here recently to chase money out there.
Naanak wrote:
How is your work life balance? Everyone I talk to says it’s pretty bad. I don’t mind working a lot but I do want time to...
How is your work life balance? Everyone I talk to says it’s pretty bad. I don’t mind working a lot but I do want time to ride.
roguemx wrote:
I’m a journeyman lineman in California, it all depends on which route you take as far as work to home life ratio. I work at a...
I’m a journeyman lineman in California, it all depends on which route you take as far as work to home life ratio. I work at a major utility and have a great balance, outside contractors make more money but also work a hell of a lot more. I’ve worked, contract, utility, and municipality and they’ve all treated me really well. All in all amazing trade, been at it almost 10 years and it’s taken great care of my family and I. I don’t owe a nickel to any school, and make a healthy amount of money.
Roguemx pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you're contracting, theres a good possibility you won't have much of a home life. If you're on with a utility, it will probably be what you make of it.

I feel like I got it pretty good out of a utility ops center. I can put my 40 in and go home, or I can keep my name on a call out list and take calls at night that come in. The OT isn't mandatory so when I've had enough, or I have something I want to do, I can get out of there. Most of the guys I work with, probably think I have no home life because I opt to work most everything I can but most of those guys have been making good money for as long as they can remember. I've worked some pretty crappy jobs for pretty crappy pay and this job is still fun to me and the pay is more than I viewed myself ever making. I'm not going to get rich by any means but I'm able to afford moto, and affording that is a feat in itself.
SwingHard
2/10/2019 9:34pm
rucka356 wrote:
if you want to weld you could get a job working for a defense contractor and get all the AWS certs and make good money working...
if you want to weld you could get a job working for a defense contractor and get all the AWS certs and make good money working on really cool shit
This is exactly what my son-inlaw does. He's 28yrs.old,makes good money ,good benefits for my grandsons & my daughter & himself. Smart kid!
2/11/2019 6:43am
I’m a union apprentice pipefitter 24 years old in my fifth year now, made 86k last year 70 plus all years before school twice a week work a decent amount of overtime but turn a lot away to too enjoy riding and other things.
nealb129
2/11/2019 7:04am
Kkawi wrote:
I posted a thread a while back looking for life/job advice(sorry for the offtopic-ness), and I'm pretty sure that I want to go into a trade...
I posted a thread a while back looking for life/job advice(sorry for the offtopic-ness), and I'm pretty sure that I want to go into a trade. I'm thinking about going to school for welding or for an electrician. I taught myself to stick weld when I was 15 and I really like it so I feel like that might be a good choice. Just looking to discuss some of the specifics and get advice.
No idea what your age or money situation is.. but if I had to do it again. i would learn a trade (electrical, welding, rod buster). Go get a CM degree, and in the summers travel for work. It wouldn’t be unrealistic to make 10k plus during summers welding or being a rod buster. Then you have a degree plus actual field experience... decide where you want to go from there.
2/11/2019 8:32am
logan_140 wrote:
logan_140 wrote:
Hey also what would be the best way to start working towards being a relay tech? Are there schools for it or what?
Several of the colleges in my area offer Substation repair, or relay tech courses with pretty much guaranteed job placement (albeit contracting at first is most likely) for the utilities after completion, otherwise it is kinda tough to get in, unless you have a family member or good friend (ie...hookup) in the industry.
2/11/2019 8:40am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/11/324669/s1200_College.jpg[/img]

Just for a reference, I have 2 trade school diplomas, and work daily with a guy who has a masters degree. He makes roughly 3K a year more than me as a CT Tech in a power plant (note, he has one year more experience than me). I have made over 6 figures a year since my 5th year in the job. I am not down playing an education by any means, but certain industries still exist for people with trades skills. I know a handful of people with advanced degrees that work crappy jobs making alot less than what they were told their career paths would take them in school.
2/11/2019 8:56am
brocster wrote:
Instrumentation is how Plants automatically control pressures, temperatures, flows, and levels of the process. This field is constantly advancing, and will always need Techs to maintain...
logan_140 wrote:
Do you go to a tech school for this? What is the degree called?
I got an Associate degree in Instrumentation Technology from a Community College. That was a long time ago, and I have heard that most contract companies are looking for NCCER certifications over the degree. It seems though, that most of the big Plants (like DOW ,where I worked), are still wanting the 2 yr degree.
2/11/2019 9:04am
How is moto-related? Asking for a friend.
Most people that ride work in the trades. With the trades dieing....then moto turnout dies. See the correlation now ?
2stroked
2/11/2019 9:46am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 9:50am
Im a 15 year IBEW inside wireman. Started my apprenticeship when I was 19. Turned out and was foreman by 25 making six figures. Ive been able to climb the ladder and I have never made under 100k in the last 10 years.

Ive read through a lot of the stuff in here. There's some good, and bad, advice in here.

If the OP, or anyone, is truly interested in working in the electrical industry (including instrumentation/controls) find your local IBEW office and ask about enrolling in either the inside wireman or lineman apprenticeship program. Both are PAID on the job training and zero cost to you education and schooling. The programs are usually 4-5 years long but while your in school and working your making a decent wage that goes up every 6 months, plus benefits.

Dont go to a trade school. Dont get sucked into these vocational training centers like UTI/MMI/whatever. They are snakes in the grass and you dont get licensed.

Post a reply to: Any Skilled Tradesmen here I can ask some questions?

The Latest