Stepping Away From Riding

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
Edited Date/Time 8/27/2022 8:06am
For those that have had to step away or chose to step away from riding for an extended period of time, how long were you away for and how did you deal with it?

I have unfortunately come to that time in my life where I have to step away from riding completely for now (not that it was much the last few years anyways) to focus on making sure my kids can do the things they want to try and things they enjoy as often as possible. For my son, riding is included in that so at least I’ll be around it still and working with him.

I’m not sure how long it will be, but it will for sure be a while. So how did you guys deal with it?
|
DKmxFAN
8/23/2022 7:02pm
Well I quit at 25 and Next week I’m 38. Life man, had 3 kids and doing what I can for the family. It’s spendy, and risky…. With that being said I will always love the sport. Not so much the streaming games but always checking in.
sandtrack315
8/23/2022 7:03pm
5 years, during my PhD. Kept cycling, running, and lifting.

Don’t sell your tools, or anything that will work well in the future.

In retrospect, I should have kept a bike and settled with just getting to ride sporadically.
slipdog
8/23/2022 7:08pm
It's been about 2yrs for me, basically from the time my son started racing. He was 8 when he started and there was so much going on with him that I didn't have the time or desire to squeeze my own riding/racing at the same time. Sometimes his classes are spread apart enough there's time between his motos but most of the time it feels like I'm on the go all day at the track. I'm having so much fun with my son that I don't really miss the riding.

His skill and speed have come so far in 2yrs that he just moved onto an 85 early and I'm thinking of getting another bike because he's about at the point where I can ride with him on the track now.
monkeybut417
8/23/2022 7:15pm
I stopped riding for about 8 years. I took up learning to fish. Find something else you like to do.

The Shop

SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
8/23/2022 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2022 2:54am
There’s no set time, bud. I only stopped when I was young because of money. Once I could do it again, I did. My kid was 1 year old when we first took her to GH in 1989. Golden state national was my welcome back to motocross race. 😀
But every family has a different threshold. I know your history as far as moto goes. You’ll NEVER get away from it. 😀 just go with flow, mini bikes are next on the list. Consider yourself lucky 👍
brocster
8/23/2022 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2022 8:36pm
I never quit and my kids never skipped a beat. The household knew that Saturday mornings daddy was going riding. By mid day I was home and the rest of the day and week were theirs. All in! If something important came up on Saturday I squeezed one in on Sunday and if both days were for the kids I did without. No harm no foul. All that being said, I rode most weekends and both my kids supported that and still do to this day.

Like someone else said, don’t sell your stuff and get out when you can.
Gravel
8/23/2022 7:26pm
I sold everything in 1997, started again in 2002, rode MTBs a lot. Then in 2011 I separated and eventually divorced, I was able to keep my bike and ride a couple times a year. MTB was my savior then too!
ATKpilot99
8/23/2022 7:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2022 8:04pm
The last time I rode was 6 or 7 years ago . I had rode sparingly for a time before that and had sold my bike . I bought a 94 KX 125 on a whim and took it out to a practice day . It was crowded that day and when I got out there all I could think about was getting the hell off the track . I sold the bike soon after and haven't ridden since . It bothered me at.first but I started.doing other things like road.biking . Motocross just isn't fun for me anymore but I have had an eye out for something to ride on the trails .
AS64
Fantasy
2175th
8/23/2022 8:12pm
My bike has sat for just over 2 years now. Injuries suck. Dealt with a meniscus tear and am still dealing with a shoulder impingement both unrelated to riding.

Slowly you fill your time with other things and then, at least for me, the thought of riding just kind of fades away when life gets really busy. One day you realize and think holy smokes I haven't been on my bike for a while and you start to really miss it. That's the stage I'm at right now.

Once my shoulder clears up I will be getting back on the bike and hopefully racing a few motos in 2023. If I'm really feeling good I'll hit Washougal Amateur Days next year. Last time I raced was in 2013. I really miss that feeling of being on the starting line.
Dave v3.0
8/23/2022 8:26pm
I quit riding not long after David Bailey's injury in 1987. Sold everything, quit following moto, got completely away from the sport.

Played golf. A LOT of golf. Threw myself into work. Had 2 kids. Learned what non-moto people did on Sunday.

Then I got a call from my doctor one day in 2000 while I was driving thru San Antonio on the interstate. Sir, we hate to tell you...but your that mole biopsy was malignant Melanoma. We have you set up to see a surgeon and an Oncologist. I was 40.

I delt with that for the next 12 months as well as a job downsizing. Decided that enough was enough and figured if I was gonna go out, I was gonna go out swinging. Found a 1981 Husky 430 that needed restoring. Bought a KDX175. Eventually ended up with 14 bikes in the garage.Laughing

Started racing again in 2002. Bought myself a shiney new 2003 Honda CRF450. Started finishing what I started back in 1971. Had another Melanoma diagnosis in 2012. Took care of it and didn't look back. I'll be riding until the day they plant me. Hell, I'm only 62...I've got at least 20 more good years of riding left in me. And I'm down to 7 bikes in the garage. For today.Cool
Mossy940
8/23/2022 8:33pm
I hung up the boots in 2015 -

The absolute biggest thing that helped was going to my number 2 hobby/passion (golf for me) with the same attitude as moto.

Our competitive spirit will never fade, so don’t try and suppress it, just focus is elsewhere that’s a bit safer and easier on the budget.

Also, if you have the means, Matty a side by side was life changing. I can load in the wife and kids and we have an absolute ball. The kids get the experience we all loved being in the dirt, but you have a cage. Plenty of places to go around CA away from the knuckleheads that give side by sides a bad name.

Good on you for putting the wife and kids first, retired life ain’t bad!
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
8/23/2022 8:41pm
I sold my bike in 1993 to concentrate on kids and a major house remodel. Picked up a new 2003 CRF450 10 years late as a big “f this, I’m going racing again”. Was living paycheck to paycheck for awhile and pissed off the wife, but I was really depressed watching my life roll by and never doing anything I wanted. Would have been better to hang onto the old bike or convert to trail bike temporarily.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
8/23/2022 9:26pm
Mossy940 wrote:
I hung up the boots in 2015 - The absolute biggest thing that helped was going to my number 2 hobby/passion (golf for me) with the...

The absolute biggest thing that helped was going to my number 2 hobby/passion (golf for me) with the same attitude as moto.

Our competitive spirit will never fade, so don’t try and suppress it, just focus is elsewhere that’s a bit safer and easier on the budget.

Also, if you have the means, Matty a side by side was life changing. I can load in the wife and kids and we have an absolute ball. The kids get the experience we all loved being in the dirt, but you have a cage. Plenty of places to go around CA away from the knuckleheads that give side by sides a bad name.

This is definitely just temporary, just not quite sure of how long temporary will actually be. Unfortunately, time really isn’t on my side with another hobby since work and kids stuff keep us pretty much wide open 7 days a week. The ScS would be awesome, but that’s out of the budget for a while. Pretty much told my wife yesterday that I’ll be done riding until I can afford to get my own bike. I’ve been blessed with great parents that have always made sure I had a bike to ride even if I couldn’t afford my own, but with the kids riding, horseback riding and other family activities the money and time just aren’t there for me right now even with a bike that was given to me.

It’s a bummer and it was a tough thing to have to accept because riding is pretty much the one thing that resets me. I’ve got video games once the family all falls asleep, but that comes nowhere close to resetting me like moto and takes time away from when I should actually be sleeping. I look at it on one hand as I’ve done it for 29, almost 30 years so I’ve had my time and I owe it to my wife and kids to focus on them, helping my son learn more and help him to enjoy it like I always have as well as support everything he and my daughter want to do and try. But I’m man enough to admit it’s hard to step away from something I love this much. Like I said though, I know that it is just temporary, but damn it’s hard not riding and knowing I won’t be any time soon
davermz450
8/23/2022 9:27pm
I gave up moto after a big crash in 2019, my wife and I had just bought a business. To compromise I trail ride/ hard enduro, lower speed and just jump off if it get sketchy. If your kid is getting into riding then trail riding might be a good option. You hear too many “ life’s short” stories to stop dong what you love for whatever made up reason we tell ourselves. Don’t give it up, a dusty bike in the garage that sees dirt a couple times a year is better then no bike.
R VanKamp77
8/23/2022 10:04pm
I dont have kids yet so I mean this can change, but for something you love, don't you just take it off the table?
I'll never allow things to get to this point. People always find a way to do what they need to. Maybe buy a 125 on the cheap and ride when time allows? Good luck. I stepped away for about a year and a half over racing burnout and college and can say it'll never happen again.
8/23/2022 10:22pm
Mossy940 wrote:
I hung up the boots in 2015 - The absolute biggest thing that helped was going to my number 2 hobby/passion (golf for me) with the...

Huh? Playing golf with the same attitude as moto? Lol
JRT812
8/23/2022 10:54pm
Stepped away after my last injury (minor) which was shortly after my first born came into the world. Stayed busy and didn’t realize I missed riding until I bought 2 crf 50’s for the kids. Came home from picking them up. Got home around 11p and went and “tested” on one of them. Wife came out and said I haven’t seen you smile like that in a while. Didn’t even yell at me for riding in the middle of the night.

Got the bug again and currently searching for a new bike
cwtoyota
8/23/2022 11:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2022 11:10pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
For those that have had to step away or chose to step away from riding for an extended period of time, how long were you away...
For those that have had to step away or chose to step away from riding for an extended period of time, how long were you away for and how did you deal with it?

I have unfortunately come to that time in my life where I have to step away from riding completely for now (not that it was much the last few years anyways) to focus on making sure my kids can do the things they want to try and things they enjoy as often as possible. For my son, riding is included in that so at least I’ll be around it still and working with him.

I’m not sure how long it will be, but it will for sure be a while. So how did you guys deal with it?
I have had this happen several times.

1) 2003 - 2007 I sold my bike and truck with the intention to buy a new bike and new truck. I had been saving for some real-estate as well. My dad passed the day after I sold my bike (he was 58) and I inherited a mortgage, land, home, etc. I couldn't afford to make those payments at age 23 and buy a bike, gas, track fees, etc. Life lead me into the military and as I was returning from Iraq in 2007, I met a guy in my company who used to race too. We became friends and bought bikes when we got back home. I bought a used '02 YZ250 and he bought a 250F. We're dear friends to this day.

2) 2010 - 2012 I worked in Afghanistan as a contractor. I did build a little supercross track at Camp Dwyer USMC base and had plans to get a YZ125 shipped there. Some of my old platoon buddies were flying drones out of that base, so they could splash me a few gallons of VP 110 leaded per week and I could use Rocky or other online place to get premix and whatnot... My stateside buddies didn't get me the bike in time to do it. Two more years with only a few rides while on R&R back to the states.

3) 2017-2019 I hung up my boots while I was in college in my late 30's. January 1st 2019 I rode at my friend's farm on his private track. School has been a real drain on my life, but I completed a degree in mechanical engineering May 2022.

4) 2021 (July) - NOW A guy crashed me at the Washougal old-timer national. It destroyed my knee (meniscus, ACL, MCL, and my femur is down to bone). I had the ACL done in February and I rode the parade lap with a bunch of other veterans (including my buddy from Iraq 2007) and my old racing buddy's kid lead us around (Kitchen).

I'm real close now, the knee is getting stronger and my fitness is great. I got into mountain biking and have some great local trails two miles up the road... The two stroke dream race is this weekend at 'Shougal and I could go win the Warrior class if I raced it. Unfortunately I'll be standing on the sideline this year watching. I'm letting my 62 year old pal race my KX500 in the 500cc class and I'll be screaming my head off leaning over the fence fist-pumping with one hand and a beer in the other.

Stay connected to the sport as much as you can in whatever form you can while you're off the bike. Go to some local races and hang out with your buddies if you can. I've been to three or four races this year to see my pals.

If you can get a bicycle and ride some single-track, that's probably a big win. I grew up riding dirt bikes in the local trails and just this week I've found that I love mountain bikes. It's not motocross, but it's the next best thing until I can mix up some fuel and kick-start a bike to do some laps. You don't even need the latest and greatest bike, get a good used bike from ten or fifteen years ago, change the suspension oil, install a fresh chain and go have some fun.

Don't lose your grip on that passion for moto that we all have. It's hard on your body, but it's real good for the soul.
8/23/2022 11:26pm
Any of you stepped away because you don’t “have it” any more? I’m considering stopping because I just don’t dare to go above 60% because I can’t get hurt and miss work. And I hate that I’m much slower now than I was at one point.
Teejay
Fantasy
890th
8/23/2022 11:40pm
I had a break from end of 2003 to 2012. Grew up in a Moto family where me, my dad and sister rode or raced every weekend. My dad was an obsessed mechanic, always said if it’s not fun anymore we won’t do it as it’s too expensive if you’re not enjoying it. I left home and had no money so didn’t ride, went down a dark path with alcohol and other not so good substances, basically I think I was trying to reclaim the buzz I got from riding with something else.

Fitness went completely down the pan, we then had our first child and that is what somehow made me buy another bike and get back out there. Completely straightened my head out and not to be dramatic, turned my life back around. I guess if it’s in you it’s in you!

My kids are 9 and 4 now, I accept I only race about 6 times a year and just practice when I can, it’ll come round when they’re a bit older and are too cool to hang out with dad.

My dad recently bought a bike again at 67 so it’s never too late. Sister hasn’t rode in years but we’ve still got her 2007 crf 250 she bought brand new if she ever decides to come back.

Sorry for the life story 😄 if life allows it, just try and keep a bike even if you only ride once a year, that buzz just does something to your brain nothing else can. Don’t need a £10000 450 to have fun either.

Good luck with it all mate and if you have to sell up, there’s always next year!
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
8/24/2022 12:22am
"For now" You'll be back. Cool But right now it's kids first mode for a few years so do whatever you need to do to be a responsible Dad ! Nothing I can say will make not riding easier other than know in the back of your head that you'll have plenty of days to ride in the future. You aint that old.... Laughing Family first ! Sorry man I got nothing except for suck it up it's all about them for awhile.
Richy
8/24/2022 1:01am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2022 1:03am
cwtoyota wrote:
I have had this happen several times. 1) 2003 - 2007 I sold my bike and truck with the intention to buy a new bike and...
I have had this happen several times.

1) 2003 - 2007 I sold my bike and truck with the intention to buy a new bike and new truck. I had been saving for some real-estate as well. My dad passed the day after I sold my bike (he was 58) and I inherited a mortgage, land, home, etc. I couldn't afford to make those payments at age 23 and buy a bike, gas, track fees, etc. Life lead me into the military and as I was returning from Iraq in 2007, I met a guy in my company who used to race too. We became friends and bought bikes when we got back home. I bought a used '02 YZ250 and he bought a 250F. We're dear friends to this day.

2) 2010 - 2012 I worked in Afghanistan as a contractor. I did build a little supercross track at Camp Dwyer USMC base and had plans to get a YZ125 shipped there. Some of my old platoon buddies were flying drones out of that base, so they could splash me a few gallons of VP 110 leaded per week and I could use Rocky or other online place to get premix and whatnot... My stateside buddies didn't get me the bike in time to do it. Two more years with only a few rides while on R&R back to the states.

3) 2017-2019 I hung up my boots while I was in college in my late 30's. January 1st 2019 I rode at my friend's farm on his private track. School has been a real drain on my life, but I completed a degree in mechanical engineering May 2022.

4) 2021 (July) - NOW A guy crashed me at the Washougal old-timer national. It destroyed my knee (meniscus, ACL, MCL, and my femur is down to bone). I had the ACL done in February and I rode the parade lap with a bunch of other veterans (including my buddy from Iraq 2007) and my old racing buddy's kid lead us around (Kitchen).

I'm real close now, the knee is getting stronger and my fitness is great. I got into mountain biking and have some great local trails two miles up the road... The two stroke dream race is this weekend at 'Shougal and I could go win the Warrior class if I raced it. Unfortunately I'll be standing on the sideline this year watching. I'm letting my 62 year old pal race my KX500 in the 500cc class and I'll be screaming my head off leaning over the fence fist-pumping with one hand and a beer in the other.

Stay connected to the sport as much as you can in whatever form you can while you're off the bike. Go to some local races and hang out with your buddies if you can. I've been to three or four races this year to see my pals.

If you can get a bicycle and ride some single-track, that's probably a big win. I grew up riding dirt bikes in the local trails and just this week I've found that I love mountain bikes. It's not motocross, but it's the next best thing until I can mix up some fuel and kick-start a bike to do some laps. You don't even need the latest and greatest bike, get a good used bike from ten or fifteen years ago, change the suspension oil, install a fresh chain and go have some fun.

Don't lose your grip on that passion for moto that we all have. It's hard on your body, but it's real good for the soul.
I remember reading some of your posts on TT years ago, glad you're still around and hope the leg heals up well man 👍

Matty, you gotta do what you gotta do, nothing is permanent and getting a bike again is no biggy and I'm sure it'll come around, but I'll second what a few people have said, keep some kit and tools around, there's no real money in them to sell but there is a fair outlay to buy again later. I guess with your lad riding at least you'll keep the tools and transport handy. I do wish I'd kept an old bike around even if it was semi-clapped and I barely rode it, just having it there for if/when the opportunity arose would have been worthwhile, but I always sold up when I had to.

It is a plus having your son riding too, I more often than not miss riding to get work done or take care of other stuff, but I'll do my best to make time to take my niece and nephew out for a putt round on their PW and Pitbike respectively, and that's fun in itself, just a different kinda fun.
eins4eins
8/24/2022 1:34am
Stepped away 7 years ago being 25. I was living for the sport the previous twelve years. Nothing existed in my life other than moto. No outside friends, no other hobbies. Couldn't imagine to ever stop with it.
Then i crashed. Nothing major, just broke my collarbone and had to pause for a few weeks. Done that before and always came back without even thinking about stopping. But this time, only a few days into the brake i started thinking and somehow ended selling all my stuff before i even recovered. To this day i don't exactly understand why it happenend and why it was so easy, as i never regretted it. Probably just tired from having just this one thing in life.
With the cash from selling all the dirtbike stuff, i bought a mtb bike. Started loving cycling and now i'm into it even more than i was into moto.
From time to time i visit friends at the track and follow the sport online and in social media, but never had the itch to start riding again.
clarkgray432
Fantasy
4009th
8/24/2022 1:50am
I went down in a pretty awkward but painful way at Glen Helen on Saturday. Shattered both my ankles and broke my pelvis. Safe to say the past 4 days sitting in the hospital I’ve been highly contemplating selling everything. Buuuut then came to the realization that I love this sport and that’s always going to be part of it. Just takes a bit longer when you’re older haha
yz133rider
8/24/2022 2:42am
Dude. Matty, this hits home I’m two days into starting grad school, and have a race Saturday that all of a sudden is very much in jeopardy.

The work load is insane on top of working full time, commuting, I’m not sure I can lose all of Saturday and then half of Sunday being wrecked from Saturday.

Sheeesh.
cwel11
8/24/2022 3:06am
Mossy940 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
This is definitely just temporary, just not quite sure of how long temporary will actually be. Unfortunately, time really isn’t on my side with another hobby...
This is definitely just temporary, just not quite sure of how long temporary will actually be. Unfortunately, time really isn’t on my side with another hobby since work and kids stuff keep us pretty much wide open 7 days a week. The ScS would be awesome, but that’s out of the budget for a while. Pretty much told my wife yesterday that I’ll be done riding until I can afford to get my own bike. I’ve been blessed with great parents that have always made sure I had a bike to ride even if I couldn’t afford my own, but with the kids riding, horseback riding and other family activities the money and time just aren’t there for me right now even with a bike that was given to me.

It’s a bummer and it was a tough thing to have to accept because riding is pretty much the one thing that resets me. I’ve got video games once the family all falls asleep, but that comes nowhere close to resetting me like moto and takes time away from when I should actually be sleeping. I look at it on one hand as I’ve done it for 29, almost 30 years so I’ve had my time and I owe it to my wife and kids to focus on them, helping my son learn more and help him to enjoy it like I always have as well as support everything he and my daughter want to do and try. But I’m man enough to admit it’s hard to step away from something I love this much. Like I said though, I know that it is just temporary, but damn it’s hard not riding and knowing I won’t be any time soon
Reading your post the part specifically about “resetting you” is the most important reason I ride. In the world we’re living in its very important to get yourself back to ground zero. As a father myself I’m fortunate that my son is in to riding and racing as much as I am and we can still afford to both do it. However if I couldn’t afford it, my bike would be gone and his would not. You’re doing what any good father would/should do at this point in your life. That being said, you’ve also got to make sure and take care of yourself as well. Maybe find an older two stroke you could enjoy or even mountain biking. We all need something to reset us, hopefully you can find something that does that and fits in the budget. Good luck 👍🏻
8/24/2022 3:07am
I‘ve been riding (never really racing) dirt bikes for more than 20 years now. It’s always been something between riding twice a week to not riding for a year or two to riding maybe 10 times a year.
I found out over the years, that if I‘m not riding at all, I get into this deep state of boredom after a few months. So I know that I have to ride from time to time to keep me sane.

My advice is: Have a bike standing around and have it and your gear always ready to ride. So when you find the time and the itch, you just grab it and go!
If you have to wrench on your bike for 2h before even thinking about riding, you‘re not going to do it.
Buy a fuel injected 250f (easy to ride, no jetting and s..t) and always have it on standby!
I‘m actually really looking forward to my Stark Varg, because it’s going to be even less maintenance, less stuff (no gas can, no oil, no air filter and less spare parts) in the garage and tuneable to my current fitness. Just having it charged with a fresh set of gear and I can ride whenever I want within 5 minutes.
El Capitan
8/24/2022 4:07am
Keep a couple of pitbikes around to scratch the itch. That, or an e-bike. 🏁
JM825
8/24/2022 5:10am
I stepped away full time back in 2018 and still haven’t gotten back into it fully now 4 years later. I really only miss it when I watch the races on the weekend, but once the races are over my desire goes away lol. What has helped me were mountain bikes and oddly enough RC cars. Not the cheap toy grade you find at Walmart, but the dare I say “racing” or hobby grade cars. Super fun and extremely affordable compared to moto.

Best of luck with finding what works for you. There is definitely something out there that’ll help with the transition, just may take some time to find it.
Camp332
8/24/2022 5:15am
All good, Matty. I haven't raced since 2013. Ride when I can on the 125 for fun. This year I've ridden once. My son is all in on baseball, so being the crazy dad I am, I am assistant coaching his rec, and travel baseball teams. My daughters are doing softball now, so I of course volunteered to help their teams as well. Riding is definitely one of those things that will always be there, but for now I'm all in on family, and trying to make mo money!

I lift weights/workout 3-4 times a week for the mental/physical. Plus when we have baseball practice a few nights a week, I'm that coach who runs around with the kids.

Good vibes on your dad life journey. Keep your tools, a 2-stroke around, and riding gear for those random days you can get out.

Post a reply to: Stepping Away From Riding

The Latest