Rick Elzinga update

Brent
9/4/2021 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2021 5:37am
I had posted this in the other thread, but for this of you who haven’t seen it , here is the update on Dutch Racer Rick Elzinga today at the Fox national 2-
————-
Update- As you may know, Rick posted fast time in both his free practice and timed qualifier.

Unfortunately, his results are really my fault- or should I say my lack of planning. In the first moto, Rick’s fuel boiled from the heat, blowing off his gas cap vent hose, and spraying hot pressurized VP MR pro 6 fuel directly into his mouth and nose at about the 25 minute mark, causing him to stop and vomit in his helmet.

He was sick from the fuel in the second moto, and still rode with honor in the second moto until he was too ill to continue at the 20 minute mark.

I had a KTM technician tell me that most likely, due to the high track and engine temperatures, the fuel boiled over and blew the hose off the KTM power parts alloy cap- he advised us to use the “HT version of the pro 6 fuel next week, and to insulate the KTM tank on the bottom.

I want to thank every Vital member that stopped by our pit to offer support and positive vibes- you guys are awesome and caring, you are the best of Motocross.

I also want to give sincere thanks to all the factory techs from KTM and WP that stopped by to check on us, Davey Coombs for checking in on us several times today, and Guy B for coming by to visit.

We will re group and head to Hangtown on Thursday to do it again.
|
9/4/2021 7:35pm
Good luck next week.
Nairb#70
9/4/2021 7:42pm
Thank you for the first hand update. Usually we are left guessing.
ti473
9/4/2021 7:51pm
I was wondering why he dropped off like that. And damn that sounds awful, sorry to hear. I once fully sprayed carb cleaner directly into my eyes, mouth and nose 5 minutes before a moto. It was not a good time.
Hammer 663s
9/4/2021 8:35pm
Happened last week to Levi Kitchen. Will definitely affect your day. Much prefer brake cleaner in the eye. He was kicking ass tho. We will look you up in hangtown.

Hammer 663s

The Shop

AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
9/4/2021 8:45pm
Don't beat yourself up, Brent. How would you know that could happen? Live and learn.

Was great to see him running well and despite the results, you have to be pleased with the effort you guys made, despite the unforeseen issues.

Stock motor with mods and turning the times Rick was is a massive achievement.

Best of luck at Hangtown.
9/4/2021 8:51pm
Happened last week to Levi Kitchen. Will definitely affect your day. Much prefer brake cleaner in the eye. He was kicking ass tho. We will look...
Happened last week to Levi Kitchen. Will definitely affect your day. Much prefer brake cleaner in the eye. He was kicking ass tho. We will look you up in hangtown.

Hammer 663s
Hmmm. Levi's gas cap is under a little flappy near his crotch...
300exc
9/4/2021 8:59pm
For me this story was far more about being a good human being and making someone else’s dreams come true.
Rick got to ride in America, at Pala because of your efforts and his talent.
The results will never get in the way of that part of the story.
I thank you for that. Everyone involved.
So top 10 in Hangtown??😀😀
Bruce372
9/4/2021 9:16pm
Awesome job to thr whole team.

Mx is an extremely sport and the only thing you are responsible for is the generosity and hard work to make it happen!

Sure your rider see that as well.

Bravo!
Hammer 663s
9/4/2021 9:20pm
Happened last week to Levi Kitchen. Will definitely affect your day. Much prefer brake cleaner in the eye. He was kicking ass tho. We will look...

Hammer 663s
Hmmm. Levi's gas cap is under a little flappy near his crotch...
Yeah. His IG said he pulled off cause his balls were on fire. Not literally but the difference is minor. He took a bunch in the face too.
Press516
Fantasy
111th
9/4/2021 9:45pm
Appreciate the update. Hopefully you get those issues worked out, not going to be much different at Hangtown.

I was watching for Rick in both motos and thought he was doing great, then he disappeared and I was wondering what happened.

Good luck!!!
Sully
9/5/2021 4:03am
Making it 20 minutes into the second moto after gargling race gas an hour and a half earlier is pretty damn impressive.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
9/5/2021 5:15am
Thanks for the update, more than we see from big teams….good luck at hangtown, I’m sure you guys opened some eyes and maybe opens some doors for Rick
rockyuno
9/5/2021 10:58am
Awesome experience

Good luck next race and thanks for making a dream come true for another human
Brent
9/5/2021 3:36pm

From Ricks mechanic Robert
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
648th
9/5/2021 3:50pm
Very honorable attempt, he was running in the top 15 for a while.
Can’t wait to see him at Hangtown 👍.
Such a cool story. Fuck Matthes 🖕🏿

Wish you’d put up a PayPal Or Venmo.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
9/5/2021 4:03pm
Sully wrote:
Making it 20 minutes into the second moto after gargling race gas an hour and a half earlier is pretty damn impressive.
No doubt, I can barely function after catching a strong whiff of MRPro6, much less drinking it!

Maybe safety wire the vent hose on the cap also to at least reduce chance of face spray.
sandman768
9/5/2021 4:08pm
Reminds me of my 89 KX250 gas cap! That’s a bummer for sure… but good on you for making this happen!
xrmark
9/5/2021 4:32pm
Was cool seeing him rip! My girlfriend was getting tired of me pointing out the Dutch dude from vital lol
Brent
9/5/2021 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2021 5:49pm
Sully wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
No doubt, I can barely function after catching a strong whiff of MRPro6, much less drinking it! Maybe safety wire the vent hose on the cap...
No doubt, I can barely function after catching a strong whiff of MRPro6, much less drinking it!

Maybe safety wire the vent hose on the cap also to at least reduce chance of face spray.
List of fixes for Monday

(1) Safety wire gas cap and vent hose (already done at the track)

(2) Insulate tank with heat shield

(3) Use MR Pro 6 HT fuel

(4) get new map for ECU from XPR Motorsports.

(5) get Vital MX stickers on bike (GuyB?)

(6) Finish in top 12 next week Tongue
VanDan
9/5/2021 5:50pm
Sully wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
No doubt, I can barely function after catching a strong whiff of MRPro6, much less drinking it! Maybe safety wire the vent hose on the cap...

Brent wrote:
List of fixes for Monday (1) Safety wire gas cap and vent hose (already done at the track) (2) Insulate tank with heat shield (3) Use...
List of fixes for Monday

(3) Use MR Pro 6 HT fuel

Have KTM offered any parts to date or strictly just advice?
Brent
9/5/2021 6:01pm
VanDan wrote:
Unfortunately no.

But at this point, I think we will just go with what we have, and try to finish a race without gas squirting out of the bikeSick

Because of the short week, even if they did offer, we would not have time to test anything, we have to travel Thursday to Hangtown and Rick is only riding once on Wednesday this week.

Rick is comfortable on the bike setup now, and I think we have a suspension setting as good at Vohland, we are just 10 HP down on power. I am going to XPR on Tuesday to ask for a better map for our Vortex.

If he comes back later in the year to practice supercross here, we may have more of an interest by the teams.
Coenmx
9/5/2021 6:07pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2021 6:07pm
VanDan wrote:
Brent wrote:
Unfortunately no. But at this point, I think we will just go with what we have, and try to finish a race without gas squirting out...
Unfortunately no.

But at this point, I think we will just go with what we have, and try to finish a race without gas squirting out of the bikeSick

Because of the short week, even if they did offer, we would not have time to test anything, we have to travel Thursday to Hangtown and Rick is only riding once on Wednesday this week.

Rick is comfortable on the bike setup now, and I think we have a suspension setting as good at Vohland, we are just 10 HP down on power. I am going to XPR on Tuesday to ask for a better map for our Vortex.

If he comes back later in the year to practice supercross here, we may have more of an interest by the teams.
What about Ty masterpool ‘s team , I see you had AEO stickers on would they be looking for an extra rider ?
Brent
9/5/2021 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2021 6:43pm
Coenmx wrote:
What about Ty masterpool ‘s team , I see you had AEO stickers on would they be looking for an extra rider ?
Maybe.
Rick already has multiple offers To race in Europe next year. I guess we will see what happens in the off-season

AEO has been helping us tremendously with the bike, parts and tech support, but only for these last two rounds.
CPR
9/6/2021 12:12am
Sully wrote:
FGR01 wrote:

Brent wrote:
List of fixes for Monday (1) Safety wire gas cap and vent hose (already done at the track) (2) Insulate tank with heat shield (3) Use...
List of fixes for Monday

(3) Use MR Pro 6 HT fuel

A bigger diameter vent in the fuel cap and bigger hose would help too if you can source them? Then tie wire.
9/6/2021 12:40am
Coenmx wrote:
Brent wrote:
Maybe. Rick already has multiple offers To race in Europe next year. I guess we will see what happens in the off-season AEO has been helping...
Maybe.
Rick already has multiple offers To race in Europe next year. I guess we will see what happens in the off-season

AEO has been helping us tremendously with the bike, parts and tech support, but only for these last two rounds.
Life long fan of his here now!!

Hope he lands a good ride in Europe over a sub standard one here.

The kid obviously rips and looking firearms to seeing what he can do at Hangtown!!

It’s made me want to buy a bike again after being out of the sport (riding that is) for 20 years!
Richy
9/6/2021 2:18am
Thanks for sharing the update for everyone, it's a bummer no doubt but pushing a 250 to the limit in those conditions with not a lot of time or a factory budget to prepare shouldn't leave you blaming yourself, and I'm sure nobody would ever think of it like that. Still immensely impressed at what you've put together for a young Euro dude to have the opportunity to be out there mixing it up.

Onward to Hangtown, happy to hear that's happening, and hopefully you guys have a little more luck on your side this time.
9/6/2021 5:18am
He passed me on one of the muddiest parts of the track in qualifying and made it look so easy. Kid is wicked talented. Go Rick!!
Brent
9/6/2021 8:43am
He passed me on one of the muddiest parts of the track in qualifying and made it look so easy. Kid is wicked talented. Go Rick!!
His mud skills are just sick.

We went to the very top of the track Saturday morning, and the mud was easily 3 feet deep- I probably couldn’t walk through it - and he tells me this is his favorite track condition.

Deep mud and ruts, I guess that is his everyday practice conditions back in Holland. Anyone who rode first practice Saturday and made it out are just awesome in my book.

brocster
9/6/2021 9:34am
Brent wrote:
His mud skills are just sick. We went to the very top of the track Saturday morning, and the mud was easily 3 feet deep- I...
His mud skills are just sick.

We went to the very top of the track Saturday morning, and the mud was easily 3 feet deep- I probably couldn’t walk through it - and he tells me this is his favorite track condition.

Deep mud and ruts, I guess that is his everyday practice conditions back in Holland. Anyone who rode first practice Saturday and made it out are just awesome in my book.

This turn? Shit was so deep I took a pic and sent to my son saying WTF??? I should have caught a video of the turn before this on top the hill. He was absolutely railing it at the same speed as Justin Cooper and Vohland.

Post a reply to: Rick Elzinga update

The Latest