Rick Elzinga update

Related:
Create New Tag

9/11/2021 10:35 AM

Best of luck today!!

|

Rather be a racer for a time than a spectator for a lifetime..

9/11/2021 4:57 PM

Hell of an effort by Rick, his support team, and especially Brent and his family.

Hoping that this passion project got enough attention so that this young man gets to continue racing and trying to keep get better and faster.

|

9/11/2021 4:59 PM

Photo
|

9/11/2021 5:04 PM

17/16 nice

|

9/11/2021 5:05 PM

Well done Brent and Rick. Heck of a story and a great finish.

|

9/11/2021 7:56 PM

In the points both moto's, great job!!

Brent you made a HUGE commitment, to a "dream".

Props to you and Rick (and everyone else who helped), what a great story to tell!!

|

9/12/2021 12:00 AM

Brent, I don’t know if you already planned or did it, but you really should make a video where you all together tell us about this story

|

9/12/2021 12:22 AM

Well done!
NBC sucked today not showing results on sidebar so was impossible to follow Ricks progress.

|

9/12/2021 3:53 PM

Best name in motocross. Sounds like he should be a drummer in classic rock band.

|

9/12/2021 4:20 PM

Brent and Family you can be proud at yourself because you gave a kid a great opportunity to taste the American lifestyle, way of racing, the climate, ... besides that you gave both of them a experience they will never forget. Living with an American "foster" family, seeing how things get done in America...

For Rick and his (stand in??) mechanic Robert, they did together with Brent all what they could do at the motor part and together with AEO they went the extra mile to build a points scoring KTM with a stock engine, stock fuel-tank, stock frame & subframe, ... Vertex ECU, Race Fuel and good suspension seems to bring you a far way! But in this 250 class horse power is king and look at Varize (I love the kid) and his results on a Factory Husqvarna and his previous results in the season (they where a bit like Rick his results), then I can only say that I'm disappointment that KTM USA didn't threw a engine towards Rick with a little more power.

|

9/12/2021 4:34 PM

I really think Rick could turn a lot of heads with a factory bike. His style is just so good. Hell, he could probably win Southwick. Thanks Brent for letting us get a look at him here in the States.

|

9/12/2021 5:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2021 5:32 PM

MXMattii wrote:

Brent and Family you can be proud at yourself because you gave a kid a great opportunity to taste the American lifestyle, way ...more

I am running on no sleep after driving back from Hangtown, but here are my sleep deprived random thoughts -

Thank you everyone who supported us with positive messages, good vibes, and visits to our pits. We will never forget the love we got from everyone here, It made all the money we spent worth it.

My family and I love Rick and Robert, they are our Dutch family to us . When they leave the States on Wednesday, it will be a sad time for everyone, but the memories, experiences and hard work we all put in will last a lifetime.

Like I told Kellen Brauer yesterday, We put together an international race team in 3-1/2 weeks from nothing but an Amex card and and our collective knowledge of motocross. The inside stuff I learned about this sport and the people who provide commentary on it at the professional level is both fascinating, heart warming, and frustrating, but I loved every second.

I want to also thank Davey and the Coombs Family, and Jeff Canfield of the AMA for all of your help in answering stupid newbie questions. You made us feel welcome from our first communication, We really appreciate it.

Robert Fobbe is an amazing mechanic, and we would not have even made it to the test track without his amazing knowledge and input. Robert will try his hand at EMX 250 next year, I am sure he will kill it as soon as his broken back heals.

I'm kind of glad now that Rick went in as the underdog with a stock motor, as it highlighted his talents - If he had a built engine, or a full factory bike, no one would have noticed him.

But Rick does need more experience in American style racing, he is slow and hesitating in tight corners as compared to guys like Justin Cooper who hold the bike WFO in the turns.

I think Rick just needs more time to get used to the extremely fast pace of American 250F racing. He has the talent and the speed, he just needs some time and experience, and I believe he will make it to the elite top 10 level here if that path is available to him in the future.

I guess we will see if Rick will be able to return for off season supercross training, I am keeping his bike for him in the garage...

|

9/12/2021 6:47 PM

Awesome story and experience for him and you!

|

9/13/2021 6:03 AM

Brent wrote:

I am running on no sleep after driving back from Hangtown, but here are my sleep deprived random thoughts -

Thank you ...more

Good on you Brent, the world needs more people like you ! What goes around… comes around !

|

9/13/2021 6:04 AM

MXMattii wrote:

Brent and Family you can be proud at yourself because you gave a kid a great opportunity to taste the American lifestyle, way ...more

Brent wrote:

I am running on no sleep after driving back from Hangtown, but here are my sleep deprived random thoughts -

Thank you ...more

16th Overall! I'm proud of you guys and don't even know you besides these posts. So cool! Congratulations you should be proud. Top 20 from the Netherlands on a privateer bike is no small feat as you now know. EPIC!!

|

9/13/2021 2:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2021 2:32 PM



|

9/13/2021 2:27 PM

gs317 wrote:

Im glad to see he got some sort of coverage and a chance to tell his story. I hope this isnt the last we see of Rick, and hope he gets to come back and try his hand at Supercross

|

themotolog.com The only offroad bike specific logbook available

9/13/2021 2:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2021 2:34 PM

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/13/2021 4:39 PM

Shout out to Kellen and RacerX for covering this story. Video version of the link posted above!

|

9/13/2021 4:56 PM

Thank you Kellen for writing the story and coming over to see us.
I found out that Kellen is also a San Diegan and a long suffering Padre season ticket holder like myself.

One more thing on Matthes, I tried to approach Steve outside the media tent to introduce him to Rick, who was with me, and even through we were five feet away from him, he chose to ignore us and ducked inside pretending not to hear me calling his name.

I tried Steve, sorry bro.

|

9/13/2021 6:33 PM

Brent wrote:

Thank you Kellen for writing the story and coming over to see us.
I found out that Kellen is also a San Diegan and a long ...more

😢 WTF- would could possibly be the reason for this, not like there were that many story lines at the end of the season, disappointing….

|

9/14/2021 5:29 PM

yak651 wrote:

WTF- would could possibly be the reason for this, not like there were that many story lines at the end of the season, ...more

He's a bit like Perez Hilton, you know the Celeb blogger. First they are real journalists/bloggers but after a while they start to think they are the celeb. He's probably bumped because his story with Jace Kessler didn't got the attention from the VitalMX Crowed, and that Dutch dude got a lot of people cheering for him...

And the guy who likes to antagonize people maybe the most in the whole MX Scene, Steve Matthes, even blocked me on twitter because he couldn't handle the backlash for his negative talk about Rick.

But lets keep it positive. Maybe the original start topic and this should be melted together and get a place in the Hall of Fame? What do you think GuyB?

|

9/14/2021 6:48 PM

Legend status to you Brent for doing this for young Rick, beers on me if I ever see you at the local tracks.

|

Mantis Toboggan, M.D

9/14/2021 7:25 PM

Nice meeting you and Rick at Hangtown. Jeez he's tall!
What a great opportunity for a young racer to see another style of motocross and different competition.

|

9/14/2021 8:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2021 8:57 PM

MXMattii wrote:

He's a bit like Perez Hilton, you know the Celeb blogger. First they are real journalists/bloggers but after a while they ...more

Like a lot of these people, they just like to leave facts out.

I don't know who you are or how this started out on Twitter but you said this to me

"PS: Steve you're becoming a pathetic creature. If you think results are making stories you are also a hideous journalist."

So you say this to me, I block you because obviously you're incapable of holding a conversation and you come on here and say "Steve Matthes, even blocked me on twitter because he couldn't handle the backlash for his negative talk about Rick."

My blocking you just had everything to do with you being an asshole to me.

I don't know this Rik dude and I mentioned to someone else that results get me interested in doing a story, we've had guys from Canada, Switzerland, Uruguay all racing the nationals this summer. So a dude from Holland, while that's awesome, doesn't to me stand out as a great story but it's cool to see.

So again, maybe you should just fuck off like I told you when you Tweeted me the above.

|

Mathis is getting weeded out of the pro pits one team at a time he and his almighty will be outsiders soon.

9/14/2021 9:00 PM

Brent wrote:

Thank you Kellen for writing the story and coming over to see us.
I found out that Kellen is also a San Diegan and a long ...more

Uh yeah, I didn't hear you. Are you the guy I met at Pala that I spoke to? Did I walk away then? I listened to what you said, told you that was a cool story and went on with my day. And I watched Rik as well.

Why would I duck inside pretending to not hear you? Didn't I speak to you at Pala? Maybe I was buried in my phone and didn't hear you.

I think there are a few people on here that could vouch for me stopping to chat at the races when I get stopped.

Other than that, can everyone calm down in here on me?

|

Mathis is getting weeded out of the pro pits one team at a time he and his almighty will be outsiders soon.

9/14/2021 9:13 PM

I wonder how can one reply to thread in forum he doesn't read? whistling

Anyway. There is enough drama in Non-moto section already. I wish Rick & Robert a pleasant flight today and hope the twofaddy doesn't collect too much dust in Brent's garage.

|

the ultimate MX renegade from the east shore of the big cold pond

9/14/2021 9:15 PM

Matthes wrote:

Uh yeah, I didn't hear you. Are you the guy I met at Pala that I spoke to? Did I walk away then? I listened to what you said, ...more

Cool story, bro

|

9/14/2021 10:28 PM

I hope this forum never changes. LOL

|

Tall Guy Moto Club

9/14/2021 11:24 PM

Matthes, the story to tell was not the results or being Dutch, it was a person helping another in such a passionate way. Can’t believe you are missing this

|