Per Round SX Sponsorship Opportunity

DL
Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 10:10pm
I’m posting this for Michael. There are some cool concept images at the end of the text. His contact info is here as well. Thanks for checking it out.

My name is Michael Leib, a proven main event and top ten finisher in West Coast Supercross. I'll be racing the 2020 West Coast Supercross series and during this year will reshape sponsorship/marketing ventures within our sport.

We are selling title sponsorships for each West Coast SX round. This complete sponsorship package allows the sponsor to benefit from 95% advertising visibility on bike graphics, team apparel, and gear to maximize exposure  for your brand to television, event attendees, social media and print audiences around the world. Title sponsorships start at $15,000.

We are flexible and have additional components available that can be provided such as hospitality, guest appearances, autograph signing, race day pit experience etc.

The base program includes logo placement on the bike and social media tagging throughout the entire 2020 season for no additional charge. 

Our goal is to drastically increase brand visibility for companies to come in and control things without having to commit to a larger dollar amount for the entire season. Targeting a specific event/audience of their choice while also maximizing the exposure that no other rider/team is able to offer.

This concept is made possible because I also created and own Canvas MX, a custom riding gear and team apparel manufacturer. Your brand logo and graphic application does not have to compete for visual real estate with a gear manufacturer’s name and logo. Example; racers uniforms in all other forms of motorsports. In addition, since the motorcycles are owned by Canvas MX we have complete control of the graphic application there as well. 

Utilizing aggressive pre-race PR will give major media outlets a news story that will increase the visibility of having a new title sponsor for each round. We believe that the entire program will exceed the expectations of companies that partner with us.

Please call or email me. 909 499-7424, michael@canvasmx.com

|
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
11/27/2019 5:15pm
That’s a great idea.
aeffertz
11/27/2019 5:27pm
UpTiTe wrote:
That’s a great idea.
It really is and it really is a great deal for potential advertisers. I hope it works out so at least a coupe of people can follow this business model. Also important why the announcers name certain things when talking about the rider on screen.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
11/27/2019 6:23pm
While I commend you for thinking "outside the box", I don't think this will work. But I wish you luck and once again commend you on trying something different.
aeffertz
11/27/2019 6:25pm
mx 219 wrote:
While I commend you for thinking "outside the box", I don't think this will work. But I wish you luck and once again commend you on...
While I commend you for thinking "outside the box", I don't think this will work. But I wish you luck and once again commend you on trying something different.
Why? And even if it fails, why wouldn't this be worth an attempt?

The Shop

kb228
11/27/2019 6:43pm
$15,000 for a big logo on a bike for 1 night?

Im not an expert, but that price seems high for the potential sales that one 3 hour window of tv may or may not produce.

Great idea though. 15k just seems high. Maybe im misunderstanding.
11/27/2019 6:45pm
kb228 wrote:
$15,000 for a big logo on a bike for 1 night? Im not an expert, but that price seems high for the potential sales that one...

Im not an expert, but that price seems high for the potential sales that one 3 hour window of tv may or may not produce.

Ever bought advertising or air time? 15k doesn’t go very far
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
11/27/2019 6:51pm
mx 219 wrote:
While I commend you for thinking "outside the box", I don't think this will work. But I wish you luck and once again commend you on...
The Honda racing team in Australia has been running this concept for a couple of years and it seems to work, or at least help out.

Not sure how many follow the Aus Supercross this season, but both Blose and Oldenburgs Penrite Honda race bike have had a secondary different major sponsor at every round, including again this weekend at the biggest race of the year.

I guess it gives an opportunity to target local companies of the towns, or cities the races are visiting.

Hopefully it works for ML
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
11/27/2019 7:02pm
kb228 wrote:
$15,000 for a big logo on a bike for 1 night? Im not an expert, but that price seems high for the potential sales that one...

Not to be rude to ML, but this would be much more appealing if the rider is a top 10 guy. Hell, even a Vince Friese type that can rip a start and fade
kb228
11/27/2019 7:14pm
kb228 wrote:

Ever bought advertising or air time? 15k doesn’t go very far
No i havent.

Guess i was thinking about a dealership in the area. Like is it worth 15k for that dealer to put their logo on a bike for 1 night?
11/27/2019 7:15pm
kb228 wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:
Not to be rude to ML, but this would be much more appealing if the rider is a top 10 guy. Hell, even a Vince Friese...
Not to be rude to ML, but this would be much more appealing if the rider is a top 10 guy. Hell, even a Vince Friese type that can rip a start and fade
Leib has 7 top 10 SX finishes.
11/27/2019 7:35pm

$15k a night is less than it costs to run Tomac per lap.

observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
11/27/2019 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2019 8:12pm
109 wrote:

300k for a main? Based on a lot of top guys net worth I’d say that’s not quite accurate.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
11/27/2019 8:12pm
kb228 wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:
Not to be rude to ML, but this would be much more appealing if the rider is a top 10 guy. Hell, even a Vince Friese...
Leib has 7 top 10 SX finishes.
Yes, 5+ years ago
FerCzD
11/27/2019 8:25pm
Isn't AJ Catanzaro doing something similar?
11/27/2019 8:39pm
109 wrote:

300k for a main? Based on a lot of top guys net worth I’d say that’s not quite accurate.
I didn’t say salary. Learn to read or comprehend what you’re reading. You put the tard in vitard.

So let’s work this out.

Tomac is on roughly $100k a race salary from Kawasaki
Team manager, crew chief, mechanic, chassis tech, suspension tech, rig driver etc, pr person etc. Let’s say $1m in team staff salary. 2 riders so 50% to Tomac.
Rig $2m to buy. Prob sell for $500k. $1.5m depreciation over 5 years. $300k/year 50% to Tomac. Insurance/diesel/maintenance. $100k/year 50% to Tomac.
Bikes/parts/testing/race fuel etc $500k per rider minimum.
Team staff travel/flights/hotels/hard cards etc - $15k per round budget.

Employee benefits/health insurance/retirement etc

Race shop space, utilities

Test track K1 and K2 - $250k a season minimum

Very easy to see factory Kawasaki costing $10m a season. 40% being rider salary and the other 70% in support staff/materials/buildings/transport etc.

Think about what goes into this instead of just being a retard jacking off in front of the tv every Saturday night.

observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
11/28/2019 3:51am
109 wrote:

109 wrote:
I didn’t say salary. Learn to read or comprehend what you’re reading. You put the tard in vitard. So let’s work this out. Tomac is on...
I didn’t say salary. Learn to read or comprehend what you’re reading. You put the tard in vitard.

So let’s work this out.

Team manager, crew chief, mechanic, chassis tech, suspension tech, rig driver etc, pr person etc. Let’s say $1m in team staff salary. 2 riders so 50% to Tomac.
Rig $2m to buy. Prob sell for $500k. $1.5m depreciation over 5 years. $300k/year 50% to Tomac. Insurance/diesel/maintenance. $100k/year 50% to Tomac.

Very easy to see factory Kawasaki costing $10m a season. 40% being rider salary and the other 70% in support staff/materials/buildings/transport etc.

Think about what goes into this instead of just being a retard jacking off in front of the tv every Saturday night.

You got real worked up there over a pretty simple statement. Calling someone a retard several times over a pretty mild mannered reply makes you look like a spaz. Cool it, child.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
11/28/2019 6:40am
109 wrote:
I didn’t say salary. Learn to read or comprehend what you’re reading. You put the tard in vitard. So let’s work this out. Tomac is on...

So let’s work this out.

You got real worked up there over a pretty simple statement. Calling someone a retard several times over a pretty mild mannered reply makes you look...
You got real worked up there over a pretty simple statement. Calling someone a retard several times over a pretty mild mannered reply makes you look like a spaz. Cool it, child.
to be fair, you did not understand his first statement, which was evident based on the reply. but yea he did kinda go off the rails there.

also everyone saying this isn't worth it for TV time. maybe you are correct, but there is tens of thousands of people that will see it in person that is worth something.
mxbrian15
11/28/2019 6:59am
mx 219 wrote:
aeffertz wrote:
Why? And even if it fails, why wouldn't this be worth an attempt?
He never said it wasn’t worth an attempt. He just stated he didn’t think it would work and commended the effort.
7eleven
11/28/2019 7:32am
I applaud this effort, just not sure that 1 race will produce enough brand awareness to justify the investment. The marketing world is so flooded, I think it takes more time these days for people to identify a brand with a particular rider.
I understand ML is just trying to get the ball rolling with sponsors, but i'd like to see a 3 race or series package put on the table.

I can't imagine dealing with so many different relationships on a week to week basis throughout a season, I think it would hurt the focus required for actual racing.

Best of luck, ML!
RandyS
11/28/2019 7:42am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2019 7:52am
This could work with a local company at their local SX. The only real ROI would be in the ego or company morale department. If they own a business that deals direct with consumers they may get an extra customer or three. But I guarantee there are enough SX fans with egos and wallets large enough to sell this out at all rounds. I think there needs to be some employee perks as part of it in the form of possibly pit shirts and F&F passes. With that I know 2 or 3 people in my area that I could see doing it at that price.
11/28/2019 7:54am
RandyS wrote:
This could work with a local company at their local SX. The only real ROI would be in the ego or company morale department. If they...
This could work with a local company at their local SX. The only real ROI would be in the ego or company morale department. If they own a business that deals direct with consumers they may get an extra customer or three. But I guarantee there are enough SX fans with egos and wallets large enough to sell this out at all rounds. I think there needs to be some employee perks as part of it in the form of possibly pit shirts and F&F passes. With that I know 2 or 3 people in my area that I could see doing it at that price.
Addressed in the post:
"We are flexible and have additional components available that can be provided such as hospitality, guest appearances, autograph signing, race day pit experience etc"
JohnnyD13
11/28/2019 7:59am
I knew as soon as the price was posted, some dumb dumb would say it’s too much. Most likely because they work for someone and have zero concept of business or advertising. I think it’s a good idea.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
11/28/2019 8:13am Edited Date/Time 11/28/2019 8:14am
I think it's a pretty cool concept and hope Michael gets the support he deserves. I often consider finding a respectable hard working privateer to help out like Michael or Jeff Walker for instance. Someone who would clearly appreciate it. There are certain times of the year where I am in position to do that but usually donate to an endangered wildlife study or similar. My in laws poor health is at the top of my priorities for now but I plan on it sometime soon .
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
11/28/2019 8:24am
kb228 wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:
This concept could be applied to any rider, any team. I hope this takes off for him and others.

Makes sense for a company looking for a little exposure in a certain city or location that they can justify paying that amount rather than get sticker shock at sponsoring the whole series.

Plus his sponsor exposure on the rider and bike is way way greater than the traditional method and you don’t have to run slater skins. Getting results would be the key factor.
hamncheeze
11/28/2019 10:06am
Have a listen to Michael Leib on the Privateer Life profile this week (Matthes, RacerX). He makes some really good points about sponsorship and gear, and how the branding in moto needs to evolve.
TeamGreen
11/28/2019 10:20am
I love this. It's not only a solid concept; but, with the images provided & the explanation of "what you get"...it's EXTREMELY well presented.

I especially like the fact that they reached back to the Jeff Glass era with a detergent brand and also fast forwarded their thinking to Amazon. Very Nice!

As for those taking about the price? I think that's a good starting point and Michael certainly knows how to negotiate.
APLMAN99
11/28/2019 10:33am
I hope this works out really well for him. As I was reading it I thought he was being a little bit dramatic about changing the game of sponsorship but as I kept reading he really did sell the idea pretty well for a basic elevator speech.

It's great to see him offering something to potential sponsors instead of the old "help a poor privateer" thing. This method he is using has the potential to be useful to his company long after he's no longer the one riding the bike.

I also hope that he backs up the "proven top 10" claim, as it's been a few years since the last couple of them and quite a while since they've been commonplace. Hopefully this year those finishes come consistently.

Overall great idea and seems like he's willing to earn support rather than just expect it. That's something I think most people could respect.
11/28/2019 10:47am
109 wrote:

So let’s work this out.

"40% being rider salary and the other 70% in support" Always give 110%
tcallahan707
11/28/2019 11:12am
I'd rather be on the jersey and shroud for one round than a tiny sticker on a team rig and rear fender for the season.

Post a reply to: Per Round SX Sponsorship Opportunity

The Latest