Moto vs. MTB

Edited Date/Time 3/20/2016 2:45pm
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour meter than it had this time last year.

I just have so much more fun on my mtb. My skill level is much higher on it vs. moto. Its easier to load the bicycle up and drive 30mins in any direction to great trails. There are no moto tracks or even trails less than an hour from home worth a shit. And on top of that, my wife and I are expecting our first born on new years. Its a boy.

I love moto, I'm just burnt out on it. Ive been doing it since I was 10 years old. Should I sell my YZF, upgrade to a little better MTB and just focus on having fun?

If I do, do you think I would regret it?
1
3
|
Silliker269
Posts
1040
Joined
4/25/2014
Location
Calgary, CA
8/28/2015 2:38pm
Whatever is fun for you bro, that's what it comes down too.
I grew up riding moto and now only get out a couple times a year
I ride my mtb 3 - 4 times a week though
1
1
731chopper
Posts
4234
Joined
1/2/2015
Location
DFW, TX, USA
8/28/2015 2:41pm
I took a several year hiatus from the sport while I went to college, started a career and started my own family. When I came back to the sport I found myself in love with it more than ever and being able to appreciate it on a whole new level.

So if you're burnt out and have other priorities forcing moto down the list then sure, take a break. Maybe selling your bike and setting that money aside for the baby wouldn't be such a bad idea. But, I predict you'll be back. Maybe in a year or maybe in 10. I've tried a lot of other things (I have a mtb and enjoy it too) but I've never experienced anything that puts a smile on my face quite like motocross.
4
Spartacus
Posts
2269
Joined
5/20/2011
Location
USA
8/28/2015 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 2:49pm
I'm I the only one that finds it strange that people ask others what they should be doing to have fun?

Does anyone lay on their death bed a wonder to themselves they should have had less fun during their life?

I bounce from sport to sport and in and out of sports I've been involved with my entire life. Sell the bike and dive into a MTB and when you're sick of it I bet their will still be motocross bikes for sale.
3
Andrew337
Posts
129
Joined
6/24/2015
Location
Grand Prairie, TX, USA
8/28/2015 2:54pm
I've always gone through phases where I switch between moto and MTB. I start to get burnt out with the cost, driving distances, time spent loading/unloading the truck, doing bike maintenance, etc. and switch to MTB for a while.

If you're having more fun on the bicycle I wouldn't think twice about selling the YZF, no sense in having the money tied up in a bike you aren't enjoying. You can always buy another later on, maybe when your son is old enough to ride too!

The Shop

peelout
Posts
18422
Joined
1/6/2011
Location
Ogden, UT, USA
8/28/2015 3:05pm
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour...
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour meter than it had this time last year.

I just have so much more fun on my mtb. My skill level is much higher on it vs. moto. Its easier to load the bicycle up and drive 30mins in any direction to great trails. There are no moto tracks or even trails less than an hour from home worth a shit. And on top of that, my wife and I are expecting our first born on new years. Its a boy.

I love moto, I'm just burnt out on it. Ive been doing it since I was 10 years old. Should I sell my YZF, upgrade to a little better MTB and just focus on having fun?

If I do, do you think I would regret it?
last year i had over 2500 miles on my moto and about 200 on my mtb

this year i have well over 500 on my mtb (wish i found strava earlier) and about 200 on my moto.

i'm in the same category, though i'll be pounding out a few hundred on the moto over the next couple weeks
prozach
Posts
1337
Joined
7/1/2008
Location
Eureka, CA, USA
8/28/2015 3:16pm
Just got into enduro style mtb. Love it. Ride this beast of a mtb I have all the time and it's fun as hell for the short time the sketchy gnarly steep downhill sections last, it's mostly fun on everything else, and sucks donkey balls riding uphill to the fun stuff.

Strava helps keep it fun and competitive with friends even when you can't get out together. But other than the crazy dh stuff, it just doesn't hit the same thrill and "fuck yeah" factor as mx does for me.
Phillip_Lamb
Posts
2137
Joined
12/14/2010
Location
ORANGEVALE, CA, USA
8/28/2015 4:23pm
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour...
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour meter than it had this time last year.

I just have so much more fun on my mtb. My skill level is much higher on it vs. moto. Its easier to load the bicycle up and drive 30mins in any direction to great trails. There are no moto tracks or even trails less than an hour from home worth a shit. And on top of that, my wife and I are expecting our first born on new years. Its a boy.

I love moto, I'm just burnt out on it. Ive been doing it since I was 10 years old. Should I sell my YZF, upgrade to a little better MTB and just focus on having fun?

If I do, do you think I would regret it?
Ill put it this way. Most people i have ran into that rode moto then went to road or MTB enjoyed it. they went in all the way. BUT then they came back. here are the main reasons i heard

1. its fun but still doesnt touch moto
2. the cost was about the same
3. was injured more on MTB bouncing off of rocks and trees
4. almost all cited they missed MOTO, and didnt regret leaving the mtb.

Heres my 2 bits: keep the dirt bike. at some point your going to want to ride. prep it for storage, drain all the gas, grease everything and enjoy MTB.. if your doing it for fun, run the bike you have. if you feel you can walk away from moto and not look back then sell the bike

but judging by the fact that you're asking us tells me you're still addicted to moto like most people and you'll be coming back soon regardless.

how do i know? ask me. I got out of moto back in 08 due to life changes and i was getting into rally and cars. well guess what i just bought. a yz250f because i sold my bikes thinking i was done.
kkawboy14
Posts
11486
Joined
6/5/2015
Location
USA
8/28/2015 4:34pm
Not even close to moto in my book!
Olson
Posts
4605
Joined
4/14/2012
Location
SE
8/28/2015 4:37pm
I did the same thing earlier this year. Sold my 450 and got a CR250R dirt cheap just to have the option to go ride if I want to. But I've only ridden it once this summer. But I've put a couple of hundred hours on my road bike and mountain bike. If I had the time I would ride the 250 more often because it's super fun. Cycling is a lot easier that way. I just head out the door on one of the bikes.
bob567
Posts
767
Joined
7/9/2015
Location
Los Angeles, CA, USA
8/28/2015 5:23pm
Moto is much more of a lifestyle/sport to me than mountain biking. I enjoy watching and reading about the Nationals, MXGP and SX. Not much for tv coverage of enduro or cross country mountain biking nor would I watch if they were. I do enjoy hitting the trails twice a month at the bike park for training purpose. Maybe if I could just accepted the fact that a great full suspension mountain bike costs more than a current model 450 I would like mountain biking more.
2
h&m_cycle
Posts
4410
Joined
2/23/2014
Location
Steubenville, OH, USA
8/28/2015 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 5:34pm
Barcia says it's more physical demanding then motocross on national tv...
Outsider
Posts
10628
Joined
1/29/2009
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
8/28/2015 5:39pm
I like to call it Moto vs. OTB...


Cause that's what always happens to me on tight MTB trails...lol
1
disbanded
Posts
6993
Joined
8/26/2007
Location
Evergreen, CO, USA
8/28/2015 5:45pm
I used to pretend to like mountain biking...
1
1
hellion
Posts
1092
Joined
12/19/2009
Location
Westfield, MA, USA
8/28/2015 6:02pm
I love all things two wheeled. But I think even after many years of doing both, that I only really ride the bicycles to keep me in shape for Moto.
2
Rdubs19
Posts
767
Joined
4/16/2014
Location
Little Rock, AR, USA
8/28/2015 6:11pm
I mountain bike way way more, mostly due to living in central arkansas with not many moto tracks but an abundance of singletrack. I love it and it saves me from having to go to a gym. However, mountain biking doesn't scare the shit out of me like MX, it's a lot of work, and not as fun. When I get done with a good mountain bike ride, I feel like I got a great workout that had really fun parts. When I pull off a MX track, I feel like I just went skydiving for 30 minutes. I've never met a motocrosser I didn't instantly relate to. We're seriously all the same. I don't think we're born that way (other than whatever is wrong with our brains), I think it comes from having NOBODY in our daily lives who can relate to motocross even a tiny bit. Even people who ride motorcycles but never MX really have no clue. You can throw out the YZF and go MTB only but I predict it's not going to fill the void completely.
2
Rdubs19
Posts
767
Joined
4/16/2014
Location
Little Rock, AR, USA
8/28/2015 6:15pm
One more thing is the mental aspect. You can zone out on mountain bike rides and let your mind wander on a lot of sections. Moto demands 110% focus, all the time. I think this contributes greatly to the effect moto has on how you feel after riding, and probably why so many get addicted in spite of how comically dangerous this sport really is.
Tim507
Posts
3490
Joined
6/8/2010
Location
Oregon City, OR, USA
8/28/2015 6:21pm
Ride my MTB for conditioning and fun....I'm in Bend OR this weekend just to turn some miles on the MTB....
Myke
Posts
2500
Joined
9/28/2009
Location
San Diego, CA, USA
8/28/2015 6:29pm
Tim507 wrote:
Ride my MTB for conditioning and fun....I'm in Bend OR this weekend just to turn some miles on the MTB....
Nice trails in Bend but Oakridge is where it's at!
1
8/28/2015 6:39pm
When i bought my bicycle, my purpose for doing so was for fitness on the motocross bike. But after a while, i just felt like riding the bicycle more and more. I feel more challenged on the mtb. If a root or rock stops me on a climb for example, i constantly think about how to clean the climb the next time i ride that trail. Or on descents i try to charge the rough stuff and stay off the brakes as long as i can. On the motocross track it gets monotonous. After im as fast as i can get on the track, i just feel like im riding around in circles.
rohleder644
Posts
1054
Joined
1/18/2011
Location
Lee’s Summit, MO, USA
8/28/2015 6:50pm
Have you thought about picking up off road riding on the yz? I've always been an off road guy, but I've used mx for training purposes. I totally agree with the monotonous comment. I find more variety and adventure off road.
But if the mtb is just totally where it's at right now, stick with that. I would suggest holding on to the yz though. When you inevitably decide you need to get back to the motorized side of things, it will be a lot more of a challenge (especially with a new little one) to cut free of the money.
early
Posts
10103
Joined
2/13/2013
Location
University Heights, OH, USA
8/28/2015 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 7:00pm
Not sure how much you have in your yzf but if you can i would hang onto it.

2 reasons;
1. Really sucks telling someone you "used to ride dirt bikes"
2. When are you ever going to convince your wife to let you buy another motorcycle after the baby comes?

If it comes down to it sell your yzf and buy a used yz125 or 250 so you at least have something to ride when you get the itch, or someone you meet or an old friend wants to go riding. Spend the balance on a nice mountain bike.

I ride bicycles about 4 times as much as dirtbikes,but it sure is nice to put that engine under you and rip, 2 different experiences both good.

Edit: Rohleder beat me to my own comment!
Thelen20
Posts
2065
Joined
11/28/2009
Location
Marshall, TX, USA
8/28/2015 7:10pm
731chopper wrote:
I took a several year hiatus from the sport while I went to college, started a career and started my own family. When I came back...
I took a several year hiatus from the sport while I went to college, started a career and started my own family. When I came back to the sport I found myself in love with it more than ever and being able to appreciate it on a whole new level.

So if you're burnt out and have other priorities forcing moto down the list then sure, take a break. Maybe selling your bike and setting that money aside for the baby wouldn't be such a bad idea. But, I predict you'll be back. Maybe in a year or maybe in 10. I've tried a lot of other things (I have a mtb and enjoy it too) but I've never experienced anything that puts a smile on my face quite like motocross.
Exactly! After a 3 year break due to kids I am sooo pumped to be back in action and back on a 2 stroke . . . like dungey pumped! Lol
r.sal923
Posts
573
Joined
1/25/2014
Location
CA
8/28/2015 7:12pm
moto is best. But my 150xc is like taking the best 10 min of mtn biking and turning it into 2 hrs.
1
holeshot413
Posts
689
Joined
2/24/2008
Location
Prosperity, SC, USA
8/28/2015 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 7:39pm
See sig pic
see youtube :



BOTH
rosebud441
Posts
1764
Joined
1/25/2012
Location
Bellingham, WA, USA
8/28/2015 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 8:12pm
they go together like peanut butter and jelly, or weed and good coffee
[embed]
KGAspeed
Posts
576
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Salt Lake City, UT, USA
8/28/2015 8:06pm
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I can ride my mtb right from my house and climb 3,000 feet in about 10 miles, then bomb back down and have a great time, every time.

Same deal. Its easier to go do, more accessible. I have great riding (moto) all around me, but it still consumes an entire day, most of the time.

But Moto is more "who I am" and I'll always associate with the motorcycle first. Always.

Keep both.
8/28/2015 8:47pm
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour...
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour meter than it had this time last year.

I just have so much more fun on my mtb. My skill level is much higher on it vs. moto. Its easier to load the bicycle up and drive 30mins in any direction to great trails. There are no moto tracks or even trails less than an hour from home worth a shit. And on top of that, my wife and I are expecting our first born on new years. Its a boy.

I love moto, I'm just burnt out on it. Ive been doing it since I was 10 years old. Should I sell my YZF, upgrade to a little better MTB and just focus on having fun?

If I do, do you think I would regret it?
First, congrats on your baby boy. That's awesome.

I took a lot of interest in your story and question because we have a very similar story, but I feel completely opposite then you. I started riding a dirt bike when I was 6 or 7 and when I was 25 bought a real mtn. bike. I rode the wheels off it for a few years until my son was born, then sold it to buy a $$ camera; figured the camera was all i would have time for. When our boy was about 2, I bought a YZ450 and haven't looked back since. This was 12 years ago. 3 Years ago I bought a really nice carbon Santa Cruz Bronson. I have well over 200 miles on it - just a couple of weeks ago I put in almost 50 miles in a week, 4 rides. I've been riding my mtn. bike 8 times to every 1 moto ride this entire year because of convenience, but here's where i'm totally different. My skill level on a dirt bike is solid 30+ Intermediate / 40+ Expert. My skill on a mtn. bike is maybe novice. I consistently see jumps, drops, etc., on my mtn. bike that i've wadded up on, or just plain avoid that I could do on my dirt bike in 2nd gear and wouldn't even need a sighting lap. I'm pretty fast on the twisty downhills with rock gardens, suck on the climbs, but again, my level overall is maybe novice. Don't get me started on wheelies with a pedal bike vs. dirt bike...pedaling just messes everything up (i know...shrewd).

My point is...all I can think about is the next time I can go MOTO. I miss the piss out of my YZ450f and it's only been about 3 weeks since I've ridden her.

My opinion...they're two separate necessities...NEVER sell your toys, only amass more! Smile

Doug
8/28/2015 8:58pm
I have taken the YZF off road riding a few times, just not into it. Good (legal) trails are just as far away as moto tracks. And I just feel like its killing my bike. I put a dent in the engine cradle the size of my thumb last time I rode it in the woods, made me cringe.

I'm gonna let the moto sit the rest of the year and think about it some more. Next week I'm gonna start putting 72 hour work weeks in until about Christmas. So I wont have much time to be riding either one.

There is a local short track mtb racing series that runs from January to February I'm gonna try out, should be a blast. 30 min timed race on a 1mi course. I'm gonna enter the Sport Mens class to see if I'm as good as I think I am.
Dudley
Posts
625
Joined
9/10/2012
Location
Denver, CO, USA
8/28/2015 9:32pm
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I have been mountain biking almost exclusively the past year because I got burned out on moto. Primarily because I spent 4 summers in a row in a cast =) I've thought about selling my moto bike, but i haven't because I know one of these days I will get the urge to ride again. I recently bought a new mtn bike by taking advantage of zero percent financing for a year. That definitely helped take the edge off the sticker price =)



cwtoyota
Posts
2416
Joined
3/11/2013
Location
Tacoma, WA, USA
8/28/2015 9:45pm
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour...
Hey guys. This summer I have put about 50 miles a week on my MTB, while there is only 3 more hours on my YZF's hour meter than it had this time last year.

I just have so much more fun on my mtb. My skill level is much higher on it vs. moto. Its easier to load the bicycle up and drive 30mins in any direction to great trails. There are no moto tracks or even trails less than an hour from home worth a shit. And on top of that, my wife and I are expecting our first born on new years. Its a boy.

I love moto, I'm just burnt out on it. Ive been doing it since I was 10 years old. Should I sell my YZF, upgrade to a little better MTB and just focus on having fun?

If I do, do you think I would regret it?
Sell that four stroke and buy a 125 or a 150 depending on your weight.

If you don't have a good group of friends who hit the MX track regularly and you don't feel like riding, maybe just park the motorcycle for a couple of years.

I feel like if you aren't riding regularly and in shape, you are a hazard to your own health. The MTB will obviously keep you in shape, but you need the seat time to keep your throttle control, clutch, shifting. I think the MTB will keep 90% of your jump timing and rhythm for obstacles too.


Due to money / time I dropped the MX habit from age 23 until 27. I'm 35 now and I don't miss a single ride day!

Post a reply to: Moto vs. MTB

The Latest