Joe Shimoda . Fifth Overall In 250 Points.

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2021 4:57 PM

Is that the best ever by a Japanese rider in AMA series ? Difficult to not be a fan of this talented young man, with a sunny outlook for a brilliant future in this filthy sport of ours…. *Davey Coombs pic Photo

|

9/13/2021 5:00 PM

Mitch better give him whatever he wants.
Amazing he was able to go that fast all season carrying the entire pro circuit team.

|

9/13/2021 5:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2021 5:04 PM

He has to be the best Japanese rider in American Motocross to date. Really impressive to earn a career number.

I find myself really rooting for the guy.

|

9/13/2021 5:13 PM

He probably could have been even higher if not for some weird stuff like his bike getting stuck in another at High Point and getting hit by another guy at Washougal. I guess weird stuff happens to everyone, but those were two races where he was looking fast and scored no points.

I'll still call him the second-best Japanese rider behind Watanabe until he is a title contender.

|

9/13/2021 5:27 PM

visser62 wrote:

He probably could have been even higher if not for some weird stuff like his bike getting stuck in another at High Point and ...more

Also catching his hand on the giant round bale at Unadilla which caused a DNF. While it was still his fault, still another ‘weird’ incident.

|

9/13/2021 5:51 PM

Huge fan of Jo. I hope he keeps doing exactly what he's doing, being consistent and improving every year. He has huge potential and still so many years to achieve his goals. Keep doing you, Jo.

|

9/13/2021 9:36 PM

Akira Watanabe is the only other one that I can think of... I think he won a World GP title?
I recall him doing well for a while here.

But yes, definitely digging Joe Shmoe!!!!

|

9/13/2021 9:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2021 9:53 PM

He also finished 9th overall in combined points for the year.

799pts. Kenny
784pts. Tomac
768pts. Ferrandis
746pts. Webb
685pts. Justin Cooper
674pts. Jett Lawrence
562pts. Hunter Lawrence
528pts. Barcia
521pts. Jo Shimoda
504pts. Chase Sexton

That's not bad company considering 8 of the 10 have titles under their belts.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

9/13/2021 10:58 PM

I like Jo, he looks effortless on the bike, and has a big honest smile.
Also as stated above he had a great combined year.

|

9/13/2021 11:00 PM

FWYT wrote:

Akira Watanabe is the only other one that I can think of... I think he won a World GP title?
I recall him doing well for a ...more

Koji Masuda comes to mind. Had a 5th place finish in supercross and some top tens in MX. He also finished second overall at the 125 USGP at Mid Ohio in 1977.

Watanabe was a 125 world champ.

|

RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler 1959-2010

9/13/2021 11:30 PM

Rupert X wrote:

Is that the best ever by a Japanese rider in AMA series ? Difficult to not be a fan of this talented young man, with a sunny ...more

Koji Matsuda may have accomplished that and more and if he did, he did it in the premier class back in the day

|

9/14/2021 12:21 AM

Rupert X wrote:

Is that the best ever by a Japanese rider in AMA series ? Difficult to not be a fan of this talented young man, with a sunny ...more

MyBobbym wrote:

Koji Matsuda may have accomplished that and more and if he did, he did it in the premier class back in the day

Masuda finished 25th OA for the season on a 500 in '77. Individual races, he only finished inside the top 20 once (18th at Sunshine Speedway) that year, so no, Jo was much better this season.

|

9/14/2021 3:03 AM

Either way, awesome effort from Joe, seems seriously committed to learning and improving too doesn't he. He knows his minor short comings, and maybe he's a little too hard on himself with how good he's been this year, but whatever motivates him.

Love to see it, hopefully he can get a few more wins in supercross and stay on form for next years outdoors.

|

9/14/2021 4:06 AM

I could watch Jo ride all day. Great style and smooth.

|

9/14/2021 5:58 AM

He seems to improve a little every race. It wouldn't surprise me if he wins a couple of titles just by being that guy sitting in 2nd or 3rd when the guys ahead of him crash out of one too many races or get hurt.

|

9/14/2021 7:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2021 7:12 AM

Sawfish wrote:

I could watch Jo ride all day. Great style and smooth.

Yep. Great personality too. Very gracious and humble. All that, and fast as hell too. As somebody said earlier...PC ought to give him whatever he wants...if another team hasn't already snapped him up for 2022.

|

9/14/2021 7:29 AM

Akira Narita got a podium at A1 back in 2005. That'd probably be the next best I could think of.

|

9/14/2021 7:38 AM

Love me some sushi

|

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

- Thomas Jefferson

9/14/2021 8:37 AM

I’m not a huge Decoster fan, but Shimoda seems like he would do really well with him. When this crop of 250 riders graduates I could see shimoda taking a spot at KTM and doing really well there.

|

9/14/2021 9:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2021 9:18 AM

I think Jo has just begun to scratch the surface of what he's capable of. He appears to be very goal driven and race focused, doesn't seem to really have very many outside distractions or hobbies similar to Ferrandis and doesn't appear to be injury prone despite taking some big hits in the first turns this year. All things that might find him competing for titles much sooner than later.

I think one of the most interesting things that happened to his season, was finding a suspension setting he wanted for his 250, while riding and testing the 450. That's pretty cool - and his results got better after change.

Considering that Japanese manufacturers have been the lifeblood of this sport since the late 70's, I think we're due for another guy of his caliber representing that country well, on and off the track.

|

9/14/2021 9:20 AM

TheGetFresh wrote:

I’m not a huge Decoster fan, but Shimoda seems like he would do really well with him. When this crop of 250 riders graduates I ...more

I would be shocked if Kawi lets him leave. Even then I would expect Yamaha and Honda to try hard to sign him, and I bet he would try to stick with a Japanese manufacturer.

|

9/14/2021 9:25 AM

I enjoy his quiet nature while still being a top performing 250 rider. He just goes out and handles his business. Not that there is anything wrong with how Jett does it, I rather enjoy him for his personality as well, but I respect the young guy for keeping the focus how he does.

|

2015 YZ250F - 2003 CR125R

9/14/2021 11:46 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

He also finished 9th overall in combined points for the year.

799pts. Kenny
784pts. Tomac
768pts. Ferrandis
746pts. Webb
...more

Thats amazing considering how many less races the 250s do indoors too.

|

9/14/2021 1:19 PM

Jo has such a great style on the bike. Huge fan of the kid and always rooting for him to do well. I think he’s going to be damn strong in supercross in 2022.

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

9/14/2021 1:30 PM

TunaBro wrote:

I enjoy his quiet nature while still being a top performing 250 rider. He just goes out and handles his business. Not that ...more

I enjoy the quiet achiever over the loud brash current crop off young kids these days.

|

9/15/2021 1:43 PM

TunaBro wrote:

I enjoy his quiet nature while still being a top performing 250 rider. He just goes out and handles his business. Not that ...more

KiwiBermRailer wrote:

I enjoy the quiet achiever over the loud brash current crop off young kids these days.

X2

Jo has become one of my favorites

|

RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler 1959-2010

9/15/2021 3:09 PM

I know this is what literally everyone says about everyone but I think he will really show how good he is once he starts racing 450s. Also I see him being even more of a contender once he gets his starts and early race figured out. Generally if you look at the lap times at the end of the races his are as fast as anyones in the 250 class.

|