To Ride or Fantasize

gurt626
Your personal preference;
I'm 23 going on 24 and the only true passion I've come across (hunting is close) is riding.
Within the past 3 years I've had multiple injuries due to racing and more recently I've had a daughter and started my family and career with a well paying job within the last year, along with selling my bike.

Personally how do you draw the line between having fun, enjoying what gives you the thrill and owning the required responsiblity that comes with life when you can't be out of work, etc?
|
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
12/13/2019 8:02pm
You go out on the track and think "I'm riding a dirt bike, this is fun! I really enjoy this" Not "I must go fast, if I don't go faster each lap then this is not fun"
suzukiread240
12/13/2019 8:02pm
I'm in the same boat, had my first kid and go into a sweet career in the last year. I stopped racing a long time ago but not riding. In the past few years I personally have switch to just off road riding with the idea that if I can find joy in riding trails that I can bring that same joy to my daughter. I found a cool group of guys at work to ride with that have the same priorities and that helps a lot. I'm not going to say you have to do the same thing because a dude can tone it down on the moto track and still have fun. Ride to your potential and don't try to push it and you will be fine. If your local track has a vet track, try that out. A lot of times they are just as fun in a much more mellow setting. Take a dude like Destry Abbott, Mike Brown, or Doug Dubach. They are all older dude by our standards but they all still rip. They aren't out there trying to beat Tomac in outdoors but they are riding and racing within their limits and just having fun with it. I think that is mostly the key. I have times where I put the bike away for a few months(and not because of winter) and just take a step back, then ride again when I get the itch. That has worked pretty good for me.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/13/2019 8:03pm
Ride dude. But you have to figure out what’s caused the crashes/injuries. Are you riding over your head? Is it bad technique? Are you not concentrating? Remember, there’s nothing wrong with backing things down a bit.

I was 22 when my wife and I had our first child. The only thing that really changed in my riding is that I don’t take unnecessary risks anymore. So what if I don’t jump that uphill triple or that 80+ foot double? Who cares? My wife and now both kids would rather have their husband/dad not jump those things and be around to play with them and have fun vs watching their dad laying in a hospital bed because something went wrong trying those jumps or trying to go faster than I should be.

I’m content with my speed and riding right now. As a father and husband, you need to let go of any little bit of ego that says you have to go to that jump or go out there and go faster than anyone else. Your kids and wife won’t remember how fast you went that one time, but they will remember all the things you were able to do with them. Remember that.

Go ride and just have fun, just be smart about it! Then as the kids get older, pass it on to them and do family trips together.
chump6784
12/14/2019 1:50am
Mate, I'm 35. This year I've had a few crashes, a couple resulting in slight concussions. My crashes came from trying to make last ditch efforts on the last lap that really weren't on. The last couple months I've learned to not so much back it down but not take those risks where there is only the slight chance it will work. I'll still hit the up hill triple and rub elbows into the first corner but I've found my limit.
I own my own business and have no employees, have a wife and 2 kids. I can't give up moto. Find your limit and stick to it, and get good injury insurance

The Shop

12/14/2019 1:53am
You go out on the track and think "I'm riding a dirt bike, this is fun! I really enjoy this" Not "I must go fast, if...
You go out on the track and think "I'm riding a dirt bike, this is fun! I really enjoy this" Not "I must go fast, if I don't go faster each lap then this is not fun"
I like your take on it 👍, I’ve got the same outlook just never put it into words.
ledger
12/14/2019 3:22am
I think the worst thing you can do is give up a hobby that you're very passionate about. Like others have said...you can still moto, but practice throttle control and ride smoother...cause you do have a responsibility to your loved one's, and they need you. I took a long break from riding and became obsessed with bowhunting whitetails...which is another form of adrenalin rush when Big Daddy Warbuck is on the prowl. Go with your gut feeling is my best advice, but don't ditch the hobby you love.
Goon126
12/14/2019 4:20am
Ride the vet track and have fun. Dont make sketchy passes or ride over your head.
burnside
12/14/2019 5:03am
It's funny, I have a 6 week old boy, my first child and I had him at 39.

I have quite a strange on/off relationship with moto, I've loved it since I was 12 but have had many hiatus's, rode BMX heavily for 10 years, lots of other forms of bikes but moto always has a special place as it really speaks to my inner child. My parents didnt really support me riding as a kid, so to ride now feels like living me 12 year old dream.

Having our kid (called Travis, haha) has made me want to ride MORE. I know I'll have to manage my time but my girlfriend is already telling me to just go bloody ride cause she's sick of hearing me talk about it.

We're actually overseas at the moment having the baby, but when I get back really want to ride as much as I can. Think we need to be responsible obviously, but you need to do what you love to be a better person (and thus a better parent).

Think something bad happens in us when we compromise ourselves too much.
12/14/2019 6:04am
Have a good job, 4 year old daughter, and a wife. Always wanted to ride ever since I rode my buddies bike as a kid, but growing up could never afford it. Finally bought my first bike a year ago at the age of 32. Ride at a friends track at his house for fun. Raced for first time in a low key charity event this year and it was An absolute blast. I didn’t care where I finished, heck I got beat by 8 year old kids. But you know what, I didn’t care. Just wanted to have fun and I had an absolute blast. Ride, but just don’t be afraid to put your pride aside. It’s about having fun and staying as safe as possible. I’ve crashed a few times but thankfully nothing major so far. But I’m not out there ripping it trying to go as fast as possible. Good luck
Timo_2824
12/14/2019 6:12am
No more moto for me, but I still ride trails and dunes. If you want a racing kick try racing hare scrambles or Enduro's, they are way better bang for your buck than moto. HS are usually 2 hour, and enduros can be over 3. Plus sitting on the starting lines with 250 bikes is an awesome experience.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
12/14/2019 7:14am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2019 7:14am
If you sold your bike you never were that passionate about motocross...Career, kids, college...etc...didn’t matter. I always had a bike. I may not have ridden them as much as I would like, but I still had a bike. Often times the only seat time I had was sitting on it in the garage/or just walking by a motocross bike in the garage/or simply riding around the yard. No excuses
gurt626
12/14/2019 8:24am
Brad460 wrote:
If you sold your bike you never were that passionate about motocross...Career, kids, college...etc...didn’t matter. I always had a bike. I may not have ridden them...
If you sold your bike you never were that passionate about motocross...Career, kids, college...etc...didn’t matter. I always had a bike. I may not have ridden them as much as I would like, but I still had a bike. Often times the only seat time I had was sitting on it in the garage/or just walking by a motocross bike in the garage/or simply riding around the yard. No excuses
Fortunately the clapped yz250 that I had sold was sold with a plan to buy a new 450 within the next 6 months. Not much riding you can do during the winter in Ohio
kb228
12/14/2019 8:28am
I dont have a family yet but theres nothing id rather spend my time doing than dirtbikes. I made that decision a long time ago that this 1 thing is important to me.

That being said you need to find a balance of speed and safety. In my experience the only time i crash hard is from riding over my head or simply making a dumb decision.
H4L
12/14/2019 8:47am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2019 8:55am
Some good responses on here. Putting your ego in check will be the biggest hurdle in understanding what’s at stake. Especially being in your early 20’s & being physically capable of riding at a faster pace. The fact that you’re even thinking about it is a good start & shows maturity.
You can still ride, but do it to enjoy & have fun..
12/14/2019 9:41am
The thing with moto is even if you're taking it easy not taking chances riding within your abilities there's still a lot of variables out of your control. Other people on the track, flaggers, mechanicals etc.
I came back to the sport after taking a long time off. I thought I couldn't be injured, ride within my means back it down when I'm too tired. Landed on a downed rider's bike flagger wasnt paying attention. Broke my heal in into 4 and broke my scaphoid.

Point being moto is inherently dangerous as careful as you try to be you'll still be playing with fire.
MagMx08
12/14/2019 9:42am
Just remember. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. I followed this motto on my last outting and never had so much fun. Stayed on track for 55mins straight, something I haven’t been able to do since I was about 12. Went to the the track on a quiet day also to limit the amount of wanna be pro’s riding over their heads. First time in a long time that I felt in control of my own safety.
motogrady
12/14/2019 10:44am
Be responsible.
You have 2 human beings that rely, depend on you to lead, provide and protect.

It's not about u anymore.
TeamGreen
12/14/2019 10:46am
motogrady wrote:
Be responsible.
You have 2 human beings that rely, depend on you to lead, provide and protect.

It's not about u anymore.
Ya want the 56 year-old’s translation?

Back it down to the “90%/Fun” setting.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
12/14/2019 12:44pm
There is no safe path through life worth living. Be smart.
zippytech
12/14/2019 1:35pm
Just look at the evening news. Every day some one gets killed doing all the right things. Get a nice life insurance policy and go have fun you only live once.
Wildeye511
12/14/2019 1:57pm
Do what makes you happy. Keep things within reason and have a great time.
ElliotB16
12/14/2019 2:14pm
You can still ride and be somewhat safe. Just know your limits out there. Have health insurance and life insurance for sure. You’re not getting any younger either! So do it while you can
Taylor415
12/14/2019 2:55pm
As stated above, just ride for fun. I'm 32 and messed my back up two years ago. Have a great job (luckily a great employer) and could of fucked up a lot of things because I just had to hit that step up, going around someone, jumping through ruts, thinking clutching it and seat bouncing would do it. Should of rolled it and hit it again on the next lap. That jump would of still been there. After that I decided to scale it back some when I healed up.
burnside
12/14/2019 3:24pm
Markee wrote:
There is no safe path through life worth living. Be smart.
Agree with this. Like riding scared, I feel like when you start living scared, other weird shit creeps in.
sdmx
Fantasy
1664th
12/14/2019 3:27pm
Goon126 wrote:
Ride the vet track and have fun. Dont make sketchy passes or ride over your head.
This^^
bierbower105
12/17/2019 5:49am
Similar boat to me graduated college, 23, job, house, etc.

Get a 125 or 250f - forces you to check yourself on some jumps - if you can't hit it on a 250f maybe your skill isn't there.
Ride reputable tracks - well maintained - well built jumps most important
Like others have mentioned - check your ego - my biggest crashes over the past few years have been me riding above my head.
Get a good crew to ride with - guys that have the same mindset and goals as you.

Race "Vet Races" - we're both pretty young to be considered "vets" - but we have a vet mentality. - Nobody is going to race you dirty at a vet race - Red Bud Vet Fest is an excellent event.

Be honest with your ability and responsible with your ability. I'll be all over again this season - if you see me out come say whats up - 105 on a YZ125.
sandtrack315
12/17/2019 6:14am
Focus on technique and being smooth, stylish, and able to last 40 minutes twice. Ride a 250F not a 450.
bierbower105
12/17/2019 6:20am
Brad460 wrote:
If you sold your bike you never were that passionate about motocross...Career, kids, college...etc...didn’t matter. I always had a bike. I may not have ridden them...
gurt626 wrote:
Fortunately the clapped yz250 that I had sold was sold with a plan to buy a new 450 within the next 6 months. Not much riding...
Fortunately the clapped yz250 that I had sold was sold with a plan to buy a new 450 within the next 6 months. Not much riding you can do during the winter in Ohio
No 450.

Modern 250f is a weapon. Blue, Orange or White. Pick your flavor and go.
rongi#401
12/17/2019 9:30pm
You shouldn’t have to force anything, go your natural speed and have fun, some guys naturally have grace and agility, if you don’t, don’t force it, that’s how big uh ohs happen usually

Post a reply to: To Ride or Fantasize

The Latest