Ricky and Ralph Objectively

Related:
Create New Tag

6/10/2020 7:00 PM

Tonight I’d forgotten that it was Wednesday and so I’d also spaced that supercross was happening.

I was getting ready to go cycling so decided to listen to the race in my headphones while riding my bike. I figured I’d be able to follow what was happening well enough.

My conclusion is that these 2 are just straight up objectively hard to follow, constantly confusing riders and saying things that have no relevance. I had no idea who was in what position but I did know that Austin Forkner ran into Ralph at the grocery store

I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR SUPERCROSS IN ANY CAPACITY, but....if you disagree with me I’d suggest listening to a race with headphones in without watching. Sports announcers from baseball, football, hockey etc are all easily discernible. I’ve listened to countless games with no visual and could easily follow.

|

6/10/2020 7:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2020 7:04 PM

I’ve said many times people need to listen to old school radio announcers to hear how good it can be.

|

6/10/2020 7:03 PM

Objectively: Ralph brings the quality of the entire show down. Does Feld or NBCSN production actually think is a good team?

|

6/10/2020 7:04 PM

Ralph: Imagine how different the announcing would have gone if it had gone differently..

|

6/10/2020 7:13 PM

Yes but we did learn from Ralph that the Australian privateer Stapleton was wearing a “Black Riding Shirt”.

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

6/10/2020 7:16 PM

There’s no opinions anymore from commentators like Ricky or Ralph! What happened to the Cameron Steele and David Bailey days when the commentators actually called it like it was! i just for once want them to actually give a real opinion as apposed to this generic, boring, tip toeing around the subjects. It’s like there so afraid to just be themselves.

|

6/10/2020 7:16 PM

They're fine.

|

6/10/2020 7:18 PM

People like your are going to complain no matter what. If the commentary was golden, you would complain about someone’s voice, or the time of the race, whatever you can find.

If you think you can do a better job, try it then.

|

6/10/2020 7:21 PM

I reallly reallly want to knock the broadcast but I think it’s been great so far. I think Ricky and Ralph are doing a good job.

|

6/10/2020 7:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/10/2020 7:25 PM

I was logging on to say they absolutely killed it in the 450 main. The filming team as well they showed a lot of the battles and the movement. Everything they said seem to go along with what was going in the race, as well as predictions that they were speaking about early in the race coming to fruition later. Maybe it's not perfect BUT I honestly think that's probably the best they've ever done. Maybe racing three times in eight days is sharpening them up a little bit as they were pretty on point the whole time during the big bike main.

|

when in doubt, pin it out

6/10/2020 7:40 PM

Can we bring back Art Eckman please?

|

"You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail, you will never succeed.

6/10/2020 7:41 PM

Mossy wrote:

People like your are going to complain no matter what. If the commentary was golden, you would complain about someone’s voice, or the time of the race, whatever you can find.

That’s not true. Look through my posts. I rarely complain. They are objectively bad at announcing

|

6/10/2020 7:52 PM

I’m not a hater on RC’s commentating this year. Last year, yes.

There is still one issue, “must situation”. Ugh

Ricky “The Situation” Carmichael.

|

JS7 is the most entertaining rider since Hannah, my first hero,. even living in the frozen north.
Dirt biking from 11 to late 50’s, loves wood riding on the old 525.

6/10/2020 7:52 PM

So what is their booth setup? A curtain? Separated 6 feet? Don't know, but Ralph's timing is off more than normal.

Conversely, maybe whatever booth barrier there is, has helped Ricky, as he keeps improving.

|

6/10/2020 7:54 PM

|

James

6/10/2020 7:55 PM

We need someone who can announce like Larry “Supermouth” Huffman!

|

6/10/2020 8:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2020 8:31 PM

Mossy wrote:

And people like you are going to accept mediocrity no matter how awful it is. If he stated he personally thinks he could do a better job then your rebuttal would be appropriate. But he didn’t so you sound like an idiot. He simply provided his objective assessment from his perspective as a LISTENER/member of the audience.

|

6/10/2020 8:49 PM

It’s gotten better so we have that but still not great.

Ricky has a limited vocabulary so it’s tough for him at times and I honestly thought him being the goat he would have just amazing insight into riding and how to hit the track and bike setup but he just doesn’t. He has a hard time translating into what he is thinking into words I think.

I was expecting Ricky to be like Tony Romo when he came on so it was disappointing for sure but he will maybe get there. Not sure.

Ralph is all about the drama so that gets annoying.

|

6/10/2020 8:59 PM

kripple428 wrote:

Can we bring back Art Eckman please?

With david bailey or dave dispain

|

It aint nothing but a little bit of this and a little bit of Braaaap!!!

6/10/2020 9:07 PM

I too mostly listened while doing a top end job on my son’s bike. Wasn’t too bad but I would peek at the iPad every time I heard the ohhhhhh. Oohhhhh oooohhhhh! and would check the banner for race order as someone else mentioned you don’t know who is where listening to announcing alone. Better than nothing for sure!

|

6/10/2020 9:08 PM

I've never gotten involved in one of these threads but today I found myself thinking "The Vitards are right, Ralph is fucking horrible!"

|

6/10/2020 9:12 PM

Dear Ralph,
Just call the race when a race is in progress.
In between races you can blather on about stuff nobody is interested in.

|

6/10/2020 10:46 PM

Ricky isn't too bad. Ralph however, is...he doesnt call the race well and frequently makes mistakes. But worst of all are his anecdotes. They're so bad, I have to applaud Ricky for having enough self restraint to hold his tongue and not tell Ralph to stfu. The broadcast as a whole has become stale and uninspired....in desperate need of an overhaul and that would include Daniel and Wil too.

|

6/10/2020 10:52 PM

level wrote:

It’s gotten better so we have that but still not great.

Ricky has a limited vocabulary so it’s tough for him at times and I honestly thought him being the goat he would have just amazing insight into riding and how to hit the track and bike setup but he just doesn’t. He has a hard time translating into what he is thinking into words I think.

I was expecting Ricky to be like Tony Romo when he came on so it was disappointing for sure but he will maybe get there. Not sure.

Ralph is all about the drama so that gets annoying.

In my opinion Ricky has gotten a lot better but Ralph keeps declining like he's rolling down a cliff. It's also so obvious that even Ricky is starting to get annoyed by the constant BS anecdotes that Ralph is dropping mid race.

If the people in charge want to aim for a better product, they move on from Ralph after this season. It's insane if he stands in the booth at A1 2021.

|

6/10/2020 10:56 PM

RC has stepped up his game this year. He's more in touch with the riders and more comfortable in his role. Ralph is just phoning it in at this point, happy to travel and bro down. He has almost nothing useful to add but insists on dropping stupid stories about grocery shopping and Mosiman learning piano. Go back and watch the first 3 rounds with Diffey. He is 1000x better.

Also, the producer, Chris Bond aka Bondo needs to get clipped. He's the guy who decides to show Webb's crash or something else mid-race when all we want is the bloody race. Also he likes to linger on a guy who has crashed when he's slowly getting going, just get back to real action.

It's not unwatchable but it could be so much better.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

6/10/2020 11:02 PM

Ralph makes mistakes that I think he shouldn't be making anymore, but honestly I don't even care. The racing is what it is, I know what I'm looking at, and don't rely on them to spell it out for me. These guys are trying to explain what's going on by looking at a screen, and I'm more amazed they don't do a worse job than they do.

And RC is way better this year than last year, I don't know how you can deny that.

|

On the lose

6/10/2020 11:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2020 12:40 AM

Serial Thumb Down Voter wrote:

Ralph makes mistakes that I think he shouldn't be making anymore, but honestly I don't even care. The racing is what it is, I know what I'm looking at, and don't rely on them to spell it out for me. These guys are trying to explain what's going on by looking at a screen, and I'm more amazed they don't do a worse job than they do.

And RC is way better this year than last year, I don't know how you can deny that.

The are a lot of people with the same opinion as you and i don't quite understand it. We have guys like Paul Malin, Weege and Leigh Diffey that has been showing and keeps showing us what "we are missing" in the SX broadcast because Ralph still has his spot.

Why settle for this? With all the talk of growing the sport, at least have the right people in place to even have a chance of growing the sport and making the product the best it can be. It will never be F1 or MotoGP, but it has so much more potential than this.

|

6/11/2020 12:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2020 12:18 AM

Ted722 wrote:

So what is their booth setup? A curtain? Separated 6 feet? Don't know, but Ralph's timing is off more than normal.

Conversely, maybe whatever booth barrier there is, has helped Ricky, as he keeps improving.

I’ve always wondered if Ralph’s big personality just didn’t vibe with RC’s and made him stumble sometimes. Certain people I’m around have that affect on me and it sucks! Lol

|

6/11/2020 12:37 AM

Next time Ralph mouth YELLS over the top of Ricky about something we can all clearly see while Ricky's trying to explain something, Ricky needs to tell him to shut the fuck up. It's like he's commentating for the vision impaired.

Get rid of the dud.

|

6/11/2020 1:19 AM

Agree with the comments on RC. He's really improved this year and is starting to take control of the dialogue. He makes good comments about the rhythm sections and corner choices. I feel like he's been working on it and is finding his groove. D Blair is good too.

|