Ricky and Ralph Objectively

observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
Tonight I’d forgotten that it was Wednesday and so I’d also spaced that supercross was happening.

I was getting ready to go cycling so decided to listen to the race in my headphones while riding my bike. I figured I’d be able to follow what was happening well enough.

My conclusion is that these 2 are just straight up objectively hard to follow, constantly confusing riders and saying things that have no relevance. I had no idea who was in what position but I did know that Austin Forkner ran into Ralph at the grocery store

I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR SUPERCROSS IN ANY CAPACITY, but....if you disagree with me I’d suggest listening to a race with headphones in without watching. Sports announcers from baseball, football, hockey etc are all easily discernible. I’ve listened to countless games with no visual and could easily follow.
|
PRM31
6/10/2020 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2020 7:04pm
I’ve said many times people need to listen to old school radio announcers to hear how good it can be.
katooom
6/10/2020 7:03pm
Objectively: Ralph brings the quality of the entire show down. Does Feld or NBCSN production actually think is a good team?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
6/10/2020 7:04pm
Ralph: Imagine how different the announcing would have gone if it had gone differently..
The9mmMan
6/10/2020 7:16pm
There’s no opinions anymore from commentators like Ricky or Ralph! What happened to the Cameron Steele and David Bailey days when the commentators actually called it like it was! i just for once want them to actually give a real opinion as apposed to this generic, boring, tip toeing around the subjects. It’s like there so afraid to just be themselves.

The Shop

Mossy
6/10/2020 7:18pm
People like your are going to complain no matter what. If the commentary was golden, you would complain about someone’s voice, or the time of the race, whatever you can find.

If you think you can do a better job, try it then.
bigk218
Fantasy
3155th
6/10/2020 7:21pm
I reallly reallly want to knock the broadcast but I think it’s been great so far. I think Ricky and Ralph are doing a good job.
gsxr6
6/10/2020 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2020 7:25pm
I was logging on to say they absolutely killed it in the 450 main. The filming team as well they showed a lot of the battles and the movement. Everything they said seem to go along with what was going in the race, as well as predictions that they were speaking about early in the race coming to fruition later. Maybe it's not perfect BUT I honestly think that's probably the best they've ever done. Maybe racing three times in eight days is sharpening them up a little bit as they were pretty on point the whole time during the big bike main.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
6/10/2020 7:41pm
Mossy wrote:
People like your are going to complain no matter what. If the commentary was golden, you would complain about someone’s voice, or the time of the...
People like your are going to complain no matter what. If the commentary was golden, you would complain about someone’s voice, or the time of the race, whatever you can find.

That’s not true. Look through my posts. I rarely complain. They are objectively bad at announcing
Drtbykr
6/10/2020 7:52pm
I’m not a hater on RC’s commentating this year. Last year, yes.

There is still one issue, “must situation”. Ugh

Ricky “The Situation” Carmichael.

Ted722
6/10/2020 7:52pm
So what is their booth setup? A curtain? Separated 6 feet? Don't know, but Ralph's timing is off more than normal.

Conversely, maybe whatever booth barrier there is, has helped Ricky, as he keeps improving.
KYFHO699
6/10/2020 7:55pm
We need someone who can announce like Larry “Supermouth” Huffman!
HusqFan3
6/10/2020 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2020 8:31pm
Mossy wrote:
People like your are going to complain no matter what. If the commentary was golden, you would complain about someone’s voice, or the time of the...

And people like you are going to accept mediocrity no matter how awful it is. If he stated he personally thinks he could do a better job then your rebuttal would be appropriate. But he didn’t so you sound like an idiot. He simply provided his objective assessment from his perspective as a LISTENER/member of the audience.
level
6/10/2020 8:49pm
It’s gotten better so we have that but still not great.

Ricky has a limited vocabulary so it’s tough for him at times and I honestly thought him being the goat he would have just amazing insight into riding and how to hit the track and bike setup but he just doesn’t. He has a hard time translating into what he is thinking into words I think.

I was expecting Ricky to be like Tony Romo when he came on so it was disappointing for sure but he will maybe get there. Not sure.

Ralph is all about the drama so that gets annoying.
stangkag
6/10/2020 8:59pm
kripple428 wrote:
Can we bring back Art Eckman please?
With david bailey or dave dispain
brocster
6/10/2020 9:07pm
I too mostly listened while doing a top end job on my son’s bike. Wasn’t too bad but I would peek at the iPad every time I heard the ohhhhhh. Oohhhhh oooohhhhh! and would check the banner for race order as someone else mentioned you don’t know who is where listening to announcing alone. Better than nothing for sure!
slipdog
6/10/2020 9:08pm
I've never gotten involved in one of these threads but today I found myself thinking "The Vitards are right, Ralph is fucking horrible!"

neverwas
Fantasy
784th
6/10/2020 9:12pm
Dear Ralph,
Just call the race when a race is in progress.
In between races you can blather on about stuff nobody is interested in.
6/10/2020 10:46pm
Ricky isn't too bad. Ralph however, is...he doesnt call the race well and frequently makes mistakes. But worst of all are his anecdotes. They're so bad, I have to applaud Ricky for having enough self restraint to hold his tongue and not tell Ralph to stfu. The broadcast as a whole has become stale and uninspired....in desperate need of an overhaul and that would include Daniel and Wil too.
Motofinne
6/10/2020 10:52pm
level wrote:
It’s gotten better so we have that but still not great. Ricky has a limited vocabulary so it’s tough for him at times and I honestly...
It’s gotten better so we have that but still not great.

Ricky has a limited vocabulary so it’s tough for him at times and I honestly thought him being the goat he would have just amazing insight into riding and how to hit the track and bike setup but he just doesn’t. He has a hard time translating into what he is thinking into words I think.

I was expecting Ricky to be like Tony Romo when he came on so it was disappointing for sure but he will maybe get there. Not sure.

Ralph is all about the drama so that gets annoying.
In my opinion Ricky has gotten a lot better but Ralph keeps declining like he's rolling down a cliff. It's also so obvious that even Ricky is starting to get annoyed by the constant BS anecdotes that Ralph is dropping mid race.

If the people in charge want to aim for a better product, they move on from Ralph after this season. It's insane if he stands in the booth at A1 2021.
hamncheeze
6/10/2020 10:56pm
RC has stepped up his game this year. He's more in touch with the riders and more comfortable in his role. Ralph is just phoning it in at this point, happy to travel and bro down. He has almost nothing useful to add but insists on dropping stupid stories about grocery shopping and Mosiman learning piano. Go back and watch the first 3 rounds with Diffey. He is 1000x better.

Also, the producer, Chris Bond aka Bondo needs to get clipped. He's the guy who decides to show Webb's crash or something else mid-race when all we want is the bloody race. Also he likes to linger on a guy who has crashed when he's slowly getting going, just get back to real action.

It's not unwatchable but it could be so much better.
6/10/2020 11:02pm
Ralph makes mistakes that I think he shouldn't be making anymore, but honestly I don't even care. The racing is what it is, I know what I'm looking at, and don't rely on them to spell it out for me. These guys are trying to explain what's going on by looking at a screen, and I'm more amazed they don't do a worse job than they do.

And RC is way better this year than last year, I don't know how you can deny that.
Motofinne
6/10/2020 11:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2020 12:40am
Ralph makes mistakes that I think he shouldn't be making anymore, but honestly I don't even care. The racing is what it is, I know what...
Ralph makes mistakes that I think he shouldn't be making anymore, but honestly I don't even care. The racing is what it is, I know what I'm looking at, and don't rely on them to spell it out for me. These guys are trying to explain what's going on by looking at a screen, and I'm more amazed they don't do a worse job than they do.

And RC is way better this year than last year, I don't know how you can deny that.
The are a lot of people with the same opinion as you and i don't quite understand it. We have guys like Paul Malin, Weege and Leigh Diffey that has been showing and keeps showing us what "we are missing" in the SX broadcast because Ralph still has his spot.

Why settle for this? With all the talk of growing the sport, at least have the right people in place to even have a chance of growing the sport and making the product the best it can be. It will never be F1 or MotoGP, but it has so much more potential than this.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1468th
6/11/2020 12:18am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2020 12:18am
Ted722 wrote:
So what is their booth setup? A curtain? Separated 6 feet? Don't know, but Ralph's timing is off more than normal. Conversely, maybe whatever booth barrier...
So what is their booth setup? A curtain? Separated 6 feet? Don't know, but Ralph's timing is off more than normal.

Conversely, maybe whatever booth barrier there is, has helped Ricky, as he keeps improving.
I’ve always wondered if Ralph’s big personality just didn’t vibe with RC’s and made him stumble sometimes. Certain people I’m around have that affect on me and it sucks! Lol
6/11/2020 12:37am
Next time Ralph mouth YELLS over the top of Ricky about something we can all clearly see while Ricky's trying to explain something, Ricky needs to tell him to shut the fuck up. It's like he's commentating for the vision impaired.

Get rid of the dud.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
6/11/2020 1:19am
Agree with the comments on RC. He's really improved this year and is starting to take control of the dialogue. He makes good comments about the rhythm sections and corner choices. I feel like he's been working on it and is finding his groove. D Blair is good too.
6/11/2020 2:43am
Too many issues to comment on.
A lot of mistakes on today’s broadcast that left me scratching my head..
RC rarely picks up on new or different jump combo’s riders are doing- Isn’t he suppose to analyse that stuff? Here is an example from previous race:
Sexton doing a triple at end of rhythm- so good. No comment made on it ??
Sexton doing a triple at end of rhythm lane that no one else doing! Looks sic and no comment on it. Next lap Mcelrath nailed that triple- Sexton missed it. Ricky doesn’t get why Sexton just lost some time???
level
6/11/2020 7:34am
Yeah I watch and I am picking up on stuff that I expect Ricky too but maybe something going on in the booth we don’t see and why he can’t say anything right at that time. I don’t know.
There best bet is to get some feedback and professional schooling on how it works and what to say and when.

Ralph is a color commentary and has been doing it a long time and while he does annoy us he is seasoned at this. Ricky is not. Ricky is getting better and he’s the goat so he will find a way to improve.

That is interesting on the producer. I hate when they leave the camera on a guy that crashed for way too long. We get it he’s just trying to start his bike get back to race action.

All in all it’s really not that bad anymore. I would be fine with the pair continuing for some time and honing there craft together.

Post a reply to: Ricky and Ralph Objectively

The Latest