GET RID

Moto75
Posts
344
Joined
3/19/2014
Location
Somewhere in, AZ, USA
1/4/2015 7:43am
I don't hate it, but could use some work.... First, get it clear to the Left side. The 1" between it and the left side of the screen is completely useless. Get it to update in real time. Looked at it many times and it was wrong because it's only updating when the riders go past the finish line. They need 3 or 4 points around the track for the transponders to pass, so it stays more up to date.
roost
Posts
87
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Townsend, MT, USA
1/4/2015 7:47am
I said the same thing for the 1st heat race... by the end I really didn't mind it. I need another race to make a decision.
Dr Wario
Posts
244
Joined
9/16/2013
Location
Livonia, MI, USA
1/4/2015 7:51am
The new bar is way better!
burnside
Posts
4096
Joined
6/17/2009
Location
London, USA
1/4/2015 7:54am
I like it... really easy to see whos where. Was a pain in the ass before if you wanted to check where a rider was and you had to watch the top bar waiting for it to scroll. I think its way better. But bitches will whine!

The Shop

MudPup545
Posts
1700
Joined
11/14/2014
Location
Imlay City, MI, USA
1/4/2015 7:54am
It was okay, didn't love or hate it. Make it transparent and show less info. Rider position, number and last name only is enough.
ChrisB10
Posts
2082
Joined
5/24/2014
Location
Plattsburgh, NY, USA
1/4/2015 7:54am
I fucking love the leaderboard. Love it love it love it
DA498
Posts
1647
Joined
10/11/2008
Location
Milliken, CO, USA
1/4/2015 7:57am
The box is fine, big improvement, its not a Disney movie, its racing, positioning of riders is part of the game. Sure it could be tightened up some for the movie watchers, but I say its better. IMO of course.
burnside
Posts
4096
Joined
6/17/2009
Location
London, USA
1/4/2015 7:57am
Moto75 wrote:
I don't hate it, but could use some work.... First, get it clear to the Left side. The 1" between it and the left side of...
I don't hate it, but could use some work.... First, get it clear to the Left side. The 1" between it and the left side of the screen is completely useless. Get it to update in real time. Looked at it many times and it was wrong because it's only updating when the riders go past the finish line. They need 3 or 4 points around the track for the transponders to pass, so it stays more up to date.
Its not completely useless, its broadcast safe. A lot of television sets crop the image, so if you watched the broadcast on certain TV sets it would appear to be right at the side of the screen..
dmac1
Posts
162
Joined
3/30/2011
Location
USA
1/4/2015 7:59am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2015 8:02am
I suspect (hope!) the cameramen are instructed to keep their focus in the right 2/3 of their viewfinders cuz we're not gonna see the left 1/5 of our screen. Nice that they have downsized our big screen TVs for us!! I can GUARANTEE the NFL wouldn't do that...or NHL or NBA or MLB.

As far as the guy suggesting getting a bigger TV to solve the problem.....really?? I don't think you even watched the race...or if you did it was on a tube TV with the bar off the screen to the left.

I did like the ability to see who is where, but agree with many previous comments. Simply use color coded rider initials and numbers such as KR94, MA800. That would shrink its width. Probably they think that John Q Public won't know who is who if they do that vs full names. Its called Know Your Audience. We know who they are and John Q Public isn't watching the racing. And if John Q Public starts watching the racing, he will learn the nuances of the races and the rider names as he goes and will feel good about his progression as a fan.

Plus, move it to the far edge to maximize our screen.

I agree that the scroll they've had previously was kind of a pain. I too would end up watching it to see where someone was...and miss those parts of the action.
ChrisB10
Posts
2082
Joined
5/24/2014
Location
Plattsburgh, NY, USA
1/4/2015 8:00am
Having the old scrolling bar is a PITA. You have to take your eyes off the race and sit there and wait to look for "your guy" when it scrolls around. With the new bar I can look over ANY TIME I CHOOSE and see "oh ok Weimer is closing on Reed" .
ChrisB10
Posts
2082
Joined
5/24/2014
Location
Plattsburgh, NY, USA
1/4/2015 8:02am
Fox does a horrible job or no job at all of covering the back of the pack? The new bar allows you to constantly follow every battle. Im shocked one of the few who loved it. But then again Im not stubborn and afraid of change
Moto75
Posts
344
Joined
3/19/2014
Location
Somewhere in, AZ, USA
1/4/2015 8:05am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2015 8:08am
Moto75 wrote:
I don't hate it, but could use some work.... First, get it clear to the Left side. The 1" between it and the left side of...
I don't hate it, but could use some work.... First, get it clear to the Left side. The 1" between it and the left side of the screen is completely useless. Get it to update in real time. Looked at it many times and it was wrong because it's only updating when the riders go past the finish line. They need 3 or 4 points around the track for the transponders to pass, so it stays more up to date.
burnside wrote:
Its not completely useless, its broadcast safe. A lot of television sets crop the image, so if you watched the broadcast on certain TV sets it...
Its not completely useless, its broadcast safe. A lot of television sets crop the image, so if you watched the broadcast on certain TV sets it would appear to be right at the side of the screen..
I've never heard of a TV that actively crops video. Not saying it's not possible, but I haven't seen it. The image coming in, is what's displayed. The TV will expand, stretch or shrink the complete image to fit the screen. On my Tube anyway, the little bit of track shown between the bar & side of the screen is completely useless.
MX_Andrew83
Posts
748
Joined
10/6/2010
Location
Morehead city, NC, USA
1/4/2015 8:16am
I would get rid of RC as a commentator. There is no reason to have a team owner in the booth for the majority of a broadcast.
ATKpilot99
Posts
10504
Joined
4/13/2010
Location
Lake Geneva, WI, USA
1/4/2015 8:19am
I didn't care for it at first but I'm fine with it. I like seeing the entire running order instead of a scroll.
Agfracing
Posts
223
Joined
3/25/2014
Location
Jamestown, NY, USA
1/4/2015 8:36am
Not only does it take up way to much space, it was wrong most of the time or riders were jumpin up as down ten spots at a time for a few seconds. Also, I found myself starting at it instead of the race too much. I'm about to drop fox sports one and just watch the live timing online. What a joke that box is.
40Plus_922mx
Posts
2900
Joined
4/17/2009
Location
High Desert, CA, USA
1/4/2015 8:36am
I also liked the bar. But why was it off the side at all leaving a small margin of screen open to the left? Jam it all the way to one side please.
WSR
Posts
1528
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
1/4/2015 8:44am
The side column was terrible.
jtiger12
Posts
1723
Joined
8/2/2006
Location
Forest H Ill, MD, USA
1/4/2015 8:53am
I like the box, but would make the following changes if I was in charge.
Start the race the way it is, for the first 2 laps. After that, get rid of the rider names and only show the rider numbers. That would decrease the size considerably. Then after every commercial break or every 2 laps, show the names and numbers again. It would give ack screen re, and as a side benefit, it would raise number awareness which they are trying to do with permanent numbers in the first place
level
Posts
6184
Joined
8/27/2006
Location
Acworth, GA, USA
1/4/2015 9:10am
There were several problems with the coverage.

1) Bar to the left: Took up too much space. It is nice to see a glance of the riders rather than the scroll but I enjoyed the scroll because all we really care about is the top 10 anyways. However, if you are going to have the bar on left-just pop it up every now and then and don't leave it there the whole race.

2) The ticker at bottom: This is a Fox Sports 1 thing so probably nothing SX can do about it

3) Spider cam: To damn far away-cannot even read the numbers on the bike to tell who is racing who.
1/4/2015 9:20am
jloucks742 wrote:
I like being able to see where every rider is at instead of waiting for the old scrolling top bar
mx317 wrote:
same here
Same here.
731chopper
Posts
4236
Joined
1/2/2015
Location
DFW, TX, USA
1/4/2015 9:21am
The pylon is terrible and to play ball with the people ignoring logic by saying you need a bigger TV, I was watching on a 65" TV last night.

If it was transparent and narrower it wouldn't be too bad but the way it is right now is awful. Every person in the room watching last night whether they were SX regulars or not commented about how bad it was.

Plus, why do we need mug shots on the screen too?
burnside
Posts
4096
Joined
6/17/2009
Location
London, USA
1/4/2015 9:49am
Moto75 wrote:
I don't hate it, but could use some work.... First, get it clear to the Left side. The 1" between it and the left side of...
I don't hate it, but could use some work.... First, get it clear to the Left side. The 1" between it and the left side of the screen is completely useless. Get it to update in real time. Looked at it many times and it was wrong because it's only updating when the riders go past the finish line. They need 3 or 4 points around the track for the transponders to pass, so it stays more up to date.
burnside wrote:
Its not completely useless, its broadcast safe. A lot of television sets crop the image, so if you watched the broadcast on certain TV sets it...
Its not completely useless, its broadcast safe. A lot of television sets crop the image, so if you watched the broadcast on certain TV sets it would appear to be right at the side of the screen..
Moto75 wrote:
I've never heard of a TV that actively crops video. Not saying it's not possible, but I haven't seen it. The image coming in, is what's...
I've never heard of a TV that actively crops video. Not saying it's not possible, but I haven't seen it. The image coming in, is what's displayed. The TV will expand, stretch or shrink the complete image to fit the screen. On my Tube anyway, the little bit of track shown between the bar & side of the screen is completely useless.
Remember some cavemen don't even have widescreen TV sets..

JPT
Posts
7208
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Cedar Falls, IA, USA
1/4/2015 11:34am
Good idea, extremely poorly executed. Designed as another ad placement.
1/4/2015 11:35am
It's a bit invasive, but 0 is the number of times I thought about it watching the race (other than using it a several times).

Time for the moto crowd to toughen up.

I do wonder how it'd be if all was transparent but the numbers and letters, and maybe some borders to keep things clean.

They do this kinda column for road racing, and they put ROCZ, ANDE, CANA, DUNG for names to tighten it up a bit.

All in all, the old crawler was basically fucking useless, so I prefer this.

Level wrote: I enjoyed the scroll because all we really care about is the top 10 anyways.

0 is the amount of sense you're making. If all you care about is the top 10, then once they go by you have to wait 30 seconds to see the top 10 again. Like I said: useless. (Besides, Tomac was outside the top 10 last night, and I wanted to know if he was moving up.)
DPR250R
Posts
2187
Joined
9/14/2006
Location
USA
1/4/2015 11:56am
Love the box... and the permanent numbering system... and four strokes.
albacore26
Posts
33
Joined
1/1/2013
Location
Portland, OR, USA
1/4/2015 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2015 5:40pm
"Get a bigger tv" is ridiculous no matter how large your screen is you're not seeing what the box is covering. Multiple times I saw good action start and then they had to switch to a different angle because the shot is so narrow now. Motorsports is too fast paced to have part of the screen covered and cameras switching when it's not needed.

The replays looked 100% better without the blocker!
Steve125
Posts
1415
Joined
11/24/2010
Location
USA
1/4/2015 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2015 12:29pm
When I saw it pop up the first time I freaked the fuck out! By 450 main event time I found my self looking at it to see where guys were.. If they insist on having it on the side, maybe just show riders #'s rather than the whole name, Probably could cut it down in size by 2/3's... But if I had my way, it'd be gone, back to the top.
LoudLove
Posts
3002
Joined
7/16/2010
Location
USA
1/4/2015 12:31pm
This is how the pros do it:



jib-tmb
Posts
835
Joined
8/8/2008
Location
Meadville, PA, USA
1/4/2015 1:01pm
I liked it. Thought it was great for checking riders positions at a glance. Much better than the scroll at the top.
ertpecs
Posts
6
Joined
1/4/2015
Location
Kingsville, MD, USA
1/4/2015 1:48pm
First off let me just say that I hate the pylon. I'd really like to see the old ticker style come back. From what I've read it's due to the sponsors thing so it appears that it isn't going anywhere. IMO my issue isn't with the ads at the top, they're fine. It's with the running order under them. With that said there are a few things which could be done to make the running order less intrusive.

1. Make the running order smaller overall. You could leave the ads the same size but even if the running orders font size was just one or two points lower it would make a tremendous difference.

2. Move it all the way to the left. Even if some tv's aren't 1:1 it's only gonna cut off the number of the running order. You can tell the number just by the order.

3. Make the greyish color and the black of the background transparent or just slightly tinted so you can still see the action.

4. When the rider list isn't full don't show the empty slots at the bottom Let the picture come through.

5. Either inform the camera person to keep everything balanced to the right or have the original widescreen feed cropped between the bottom ticker and the side running order.

6. Use some sort of short hand for the riders names. It doesn't have to be three letters like some sports, but just less pylon width/ more live feed.

Now I do see where the idea of having the current running order on the screen fully at all times would be a good thing to have. However it needs to be executed properly. If this was executed properly I think there would be a lot less people upset or complaining about taking up real estate on their television. In order to do that there needs to be more electronic timing marks along the track besides how every many they are currently using. There is no point what so ever in having it there the entire time if it only gets updated once or twice a lap. Some sections of the track that wouldn't be possible but putting at least a couple more shouldn't be a problem and would probably change my opinion about this thing.

I feel sorry for anyone that has to watch this on a smaller size tv, which leads me to my next question. Does the live steam have the same gargantuan mistake that is the running order overlay that fox does?

P.S. I registered for this forum just to complain about this pylon lol. At one point Weimer's front end washed out and just about lowsided and everything was blocked by the pylon. I would have seen most of it if the bottom six positions on the running order weren't there, which were blank. Also, I copy and pasted this between the two threads on here.

Post a reply to: GET RID

The Latest