Grips Slipping

captmoto
Edited Date/Time 9/29/2020 3:04pm
I switched from ODI lock on grips to Renthal Aramid Dual compound grips and used their glue and the grip slowly spins on the clutch side of the bar. I can't feel it moving but it was obvious what was happening. This is happening after 2 rides. I am using a Titan Tough throttle tube from Motion Pro and have no slip on that side. I cleaned the bar with contact cleaner and let it air our for a couple hours before I put the grip on. I have used clear lacquer spray paint in the past with good results. I don't pressure wash or safety wire grips. This is the first time I have had this happened where the whole grip spins on the bar. Is this a kevlar grip thing or did I screw up somehow?
|
kb228
7/24/2020 10:32am
I dont know, you could have a faulty grip made too big. Id suggest using wire though. It will hold even if the grip is too big. Plus you dont have to cut the grips off when you need new ones.
7/24/2020 10:42am
captmoto wrote:
I switched from ODI lock on grips to Renthal Aramid Dual compound grips and used their glue and the grip slowly spins on the clutch side...
I switched from ODI lock on grips to Renthal Aramid Dual compound grips and used their glue and the grip slowly spins on the clutch side of the bar. I can't feel it moving but it was obvious what was happening. This is happening after 2 rides. I am using a Titan Tough throttle tube from Motion Pro and have no slip on that side. I cleaned the bar with contact cleaner and let it air our for a couple hours before I put the grip on. I have used clear lacquer spray paint in the past with good results. I don't pressure wash or safety wire grips. This is the first time I have had this happened where the whole grip spins on the bar. Is this a kevlar grip thing or did I screw up somehow?
Maybe try and take off with compressed air and try to re glue? That is if you are opposed to wire.
omalley
7/24/2020 11:27am
Safety wire.

Also, as silly as this sounds, evaluate how firmly you grip with your knees. If your knees aren’t squeezing the bike, your hands will grip hard enough to twist the left side grip no matter what you do (I say this from personal experience). I’ve never twisted the throttle side (likely due to a looser hold and the twisting abilities of the throttle tube), but I have twisted a half-waffle grip 180 degrees in one ride before concentrating on gripping with my knees so my hands could loosen.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/24/2020 11:49am
Every left-side grip I have ever owned has slipped a little. I glue them AND use safety wire to minimize the effect. That seems to work pretty well for me.
It isn't from squeezing too much, either, although with some people it may be. I grip with my knees in all scenarios - you can tell from my ruined graphics and the aluminum oxide that I'm rubbing all over my bike from the frame.

The Shop

Tuna
7/24/2020 12:05pm
Safety wire. I use Automotive Goop instead of grip glue. Works better.
captmoto
7/24/2020 12:20pm
I'm either going to scuff up the bar or use friction tape and reglue it. I don't see how safety wire can improve contact since a couple wire strands don't seem like it could improve the bearing surface all that much but I might as well cover all the bases.
mwssquad827
7/24/2020 12:34pm
I use blue spray paint and have never had issues with grips turning... every time I have used wire a get slippage.. btw I use on both grips and it has to be blue..😂😂😂
omalley
7/24/2020 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2020 12:40pm
Forgot to mention, 3M weatherstrip adhesive works really well and one tube lasts for countless grips.

Also, wait to safety wire until after the glue (whatever you use) has set overnight. Otherwise the wire will squeeze the glue away from the areas where it tightens down and you’ll get pockets in between.
captmoto
7/24/2020 3:01pm
omalley wrote:
Forgot to mention, 3M weatherstrip adhesive works really well and one tube lasts for countless grips. Also, wait to safety wire until after the glue (whatever...
Forgot to mention, 3M weatherstrip adhesive works really well and one tube lasts for countless grips.

Also, wait to safety wire until after the glue (whatever you use) has set overnight. Otherwise the wire will squeeze the glue away from the areas where it tightens down and you’ll get pockets in between.
I just happened to have some 3M in my tool box.
omalley
7/24/2020 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2020 6:55pm
omalley wrote:
Forgot to mention, 3M weatherstrip adhesive works really well and one tube lasts for countless grips. Also, wait to safety wire until after the glue (whatever...

captmoto wrote:
I just happened to have some 3M in my tool box.
Interestingly, the yellow version looks and smells suspiciously like Honda grip glue...lol
mwssquad827
7/24/2020 7:01pm
Careful with the grip glue had a buddy glue his throttle shut.😂😂

BTW blue spray paint works amazing.. cheap and a can lasts forever
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
7/24/2020 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2020 8:14pm
I just did this exact same change over on my Husky going from and to the same grips. As a side note, I did this because I wanted an even quicker turning throttle than the stock optional quicker OEM cam, which is not very quick. I put on a G2 throttle tube.

Did you use the normal, old type Renthal grip glue or the new quik drying super-glue type? I used to use the old type glue or 3M weatherstrip adhesive. They worked good but that stuff takes a long time to dry and is a nightmare to clean off for the next set of grips.

The new super glue type glues are awesome. Quik drying, hold great, and no goopy mess to clean up later. There are several brands making them and they all seem like the same stuff re-labled. I've used the Renthal, Pro-Taper, and Grip-It. I let it dry overnight and then do wire on the inside and another strand about 1" in from the end. Grips don't move 1mm.
Paw Paw
9/14/2020 11:35pm
omalley wrote:
Safety wire. Also, as silly as this sounds, evaluate how firmly you grip with your knees. If your knees aren’t squeezing the bike, your hands will...
Safety wire.

Also, as silly as this sounds, evaluate how firmly you grip with your knees. If your knees aren’t squeezing the bike, your hands will grip hard enough to twist the left side grip no matter what you do (I say this from personal experience). I’ve never twisted the throttle side (likely due to a looser hold and the twisting abilities of the throttle tube), but I have twisted a half-waffle grip 180 degrees in one ride before concentrating on gripping with my knees so my hands could loosen.
X2

PawPaw
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/15/2020 7:30am
Tuna wrote:
Safety wire. I use Automotive Goop instead of grip glue. Works better.
Shoe goo works? Easier to peel off when you put on new grips?
9/15/2020 7:55pm
captmoto wrote:
I'm either going to scuff up the bar or use friction tape and reglue it. I don't see how safety wire can improve contact since a...
I'm either going to scuff up the bar or use friction tape and reglue it. I don't see how safety wire can improve contact since a couple wire strands don't seem like it could improve the bearing surface all that much but I might as well cover all the bases.
Try it and you will understand. Folks have been doing it since the beginning of time and before grip glue was even widely available. I use four separate wraps of wire for each grip and rarely any glue. Some folks use only three wraps. My grips havent moved in decades. Just my experience, others may vary.
charlie68
9/16/2020 9:59am
Just curios, did you file the knurls off the bar ends to get the lock on grips to fit?
btroxler
9/16/2020 10:57am
I don't even use glue, I use safety wire only. I do use brake parts cleaner when installing them, as soon as it evaporates it makes the inside of the grips a little grippy and I think that helps.

I run Mika and Pro Taper grips.
bh
9/17/2020 12:11pm
I use some clear coat spray paint and safety wire and never have any issues. grip glue is a pita imo.
9/25/2020 7:45am
bh wrote:
I use some clear coat spray paint and safety wire and never have any issues. grip glue is a pita imo.
Yep I use krylon clear coat and safety wire
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/26/2020 9:36am
FGR01 wrote:
I just did this exact same change over on my Husky going from and to the same grips. As a side note, I did this because...
I just did this exact same change over on my Husky going from and to the same grips. As a side note, I did this because I wanted an even quicker turning throttle than the stock optional quicker OEM cam, which is not very quick. I put on a G2 throttle tube.

Did you use the normal, old type Renthal grip glue or the new quik drying super-glue type? I used to use the old type glue or 3M weatherstrip adhesive. They worked good but that stuff takes a long time to dry and is a nightmare to clean off for the next set of grips.

The new super glue type glues are awesome. Quik drying, hold great, and no goopy mess to clean up later. There are several brands making them and they all seem like the same stuff re-labled. I've used the Renthal, Pro-Taper, and Grip-It. I let it dry overnight and then do wire on the inside and another strand about 1" in from the end. Grips don't move 1mm.
These are the answer. I sure dont miss saftey wire.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/26/2020 2:13pm
How long do you have before they set? 1 second? 10 seconds?
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/26/2020 2:33pm
wrc777 wrote:
How long do you have before they set? 1 second? 10 seconds?
I think you're asking about the super-glue type ones I posted. You have enough time to spin/push the grip on the bar and get it in place and then it sets pretty quick. You definitely don't want to wait around. I live in AZ with super dry air so you figure it's probably it's fastest here. Probably get a few more seconds in humid places. I'd say you could probably ride the bike within minutes but I always try to let it sit over night before wiring and riding just to make sure it's rock solid. I absolutely hate grips that move at all.
LKHill
9/26/2020 7:07pm
I just installed a set with Scott Grip glue. It was black and smelled like model cement. We will see.
9/28/2020 11:23am
I usually clean off the bars with brake cleaner . Then spray clear coat in the grips swirl once or twice . Dump out the excess and install. Safety wire while it’s drying. Can be any easier.
LKHill
9/28/2020 3:45pm
The scott's glue suked. I wired them.
Skerby
9/29/2020 1:35pm
LKHill wrote:
The scott's glue suked. I wired them.
Been there, that stuff does suck
9/29/2020 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2020 3:04pm
I never got grips to really quit moving until I safety-wired them. I know.. that little bit of wire shouldn't matter, but it does. I use 3 wraps- end of grip, middle, and base.

Glue, I like 3M contact cement.

Never thought about Shoe Goo.

I use ODI Emig lock-on now, but I sometimes miss the cushion and price of glue on. And I _have_ had ODI come loose and rotate.

Post a reply to: Grips Slipping

The Latest