Why did you quit Racing Motocross?

Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
3/26/2019 8:13am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2019 9:11am
If you are someone who used to race motocross but dont anymore why did you stop racing?
I personally fit in this category and for me its money.
But i also hope to Race again Someday!
But we know its been declining over the past 20 years and
Since 2008 its always been blamed on money , and its not money for everyone, because some other expensive things are going up in participation, Off road , sidexsides e-bikes etc..
i made this thread to try to hear Some actual Reasons why poeple quit , rather than guesses why its Decreasing
So if you no longer race whats your personal reason thanks.
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/26/2019 8:19am
Wife, kids, house, financially not able to afford it because of the previous three reasons Laughing Unfortunately, I don't even get much riding in these days. Lucky if I can ride 3-4 times a year the last few years. It sucks and I hate it, but not much I can do when we are constantly busy with the kids stuff.
3/26/2019 8:19am
I stopped when I was 17 after tearing up my knee for the 10th time. I was chasing girls and partying from 17-23 when I hit a low point in life and decided i needed a hobby. I rode quite a lot from 23-26. Met my wife and of course the riding slowed down. Probably average 10 rides a year. I'm 32 now. I sold my bike in June of last year because of a new baby. Knowing I wouldn't have time to ride last year or at all and haven't bought a new one yet. I still haven't decided if it is worth it. If I had land to ride on there would be no way in hell I would not have one. Loading the bike up, driving to the track, riding, unloading, cleaning, maintenance is a big pain in the ass, especially since I can only do it 6 months out of the year.

But It hasn't even been a year and I miss it like crazy.

We will see.
3/26/2019 8:20am
I was burned out after racing full time for a few years, started to hate the gym and missing out on doing things with friends.
I sold my race bike and bought a 2 stroke and started riding for fun and it was like a new lease on life.. I loved riding again!
I do miss racing, and the feeling of holeshots and race wins is something special.
But I’m happier riding and have a shitload more money these days haha
kb228
3/26/2019 8:20am
Said it many times but the reason i dont is because if you get hurt you fork out all the money for medical bills. Currently where i live, every insurance policy ive seen has a motorized vehicle racing exclusion.

With the injury i just had, the bill was well over $100,000. Thank god for charities at hospitals because otherwise id be filing bankruptcy.

All that isnt worth spending $40 for 30 mins of riding. Its not appealing to me at all. Paying $25 for all day access to ride at my comfort level without having to try-hard is perfectly fine with me.

The Shop

Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2866th
3/26/2019 8:22am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 8:23am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Wife, kids, house, financially not able to afford it because of the previous three reasons :laugh: Unfortunately, I don't even get much riding in these days...
Wife, kids, house, financially not able to afford it because of the previous three reasons Laughing Unfortunately, I don't even get much riding in these days. Lucky if I can ride 3-4 times a year the last few years. It sucks and I hate it, but not much I can do when we are constantly busy with the kids stuff.
Copy, paste

Oh and a shattered tib plateau.
FWYT
3/26/2019 8:30am
I'm just a ride/race-for-fun guy and I've had to stop and start several times over the decades.
It's always just been stuff like- had to move and no place for a bike or low on cash or no
time as I started a new job . . . stuff like that.
4csHATER
3/26/2019 8:35am
the politics in racing caused me to stop!
mxb2
3/26/2019 8:37am
Tarz483 wrote:
If you are someone who used to race motocross but dont anymore why did you stop racing? I personally fit in this category and for me...
If you are someone who used to race motocross but dont anymore why did you stop racing?
Since 2008 its always been blamed on money , and its not money for everyone, because some other expensive things are going up in participation, Off road , sidexsides e-bikes etc..
i made this thread to try to hear Some actual Reasons why poeple quit , rather than guesses why its Decreasing
$$ comes into play. If you want to bad enough. You will find a way to get a bike and ride.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
3/26/2019 8:40am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 8:55am
Tarz483 wrote:
If you are someone who used to race motocross but dont anymore why did you stop racing? I personally fit in this category and for me...
mxb2 wrote:
$$ comes into play. If you want to bad enough. You will find a way to get a bike and ride.
Ive been in hibernation for 5 months and the snow is just now melting, believe me i would if i could, past Divorce Child support bad credit score etc etc , im still trying to think of a way but its not looking good right now. I dont have a bike right now ,If i can get one somehow this summer i will!
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
3/26/2019 8:45am
The $ is what you make it. I have a buddy who had to have a new bike every 1-2 years, fancy exhaust, suspension work, anodized bobbles, graphics, etc. I, on the other hand, would race a bike for several years, keep up with maintenance but never bought into all the aftermarket gotta-haves.

For me it was about time. I like being at the track, but not for 10-12 hours. And riding a grand total of about 35-45 minutes of that. I love being on a moto track, though.

I went back to my roots a few years back. Started vintage cross-country racing. Our series runs vintage in the morning, post vintage in the afternoon. So if you had the right machinery, ($2000 or less for a very competitive ride), you could race twice in one day. Races are an hour. So I show up between 9 and 10, sign up, run a sight lap, watch the vintage bikes, race my race, get my award, and on the road by 4. And frankly, the people are cooler.

Ing
3/26/2019 8:47am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 8:48am
Age and injuries. See signature
3/26/2019 8:48am
High side on the face of a tabletop to concussion was my last gasp. Walked around not knowing what was going on for a minute or two. Later on I decided losing my mind wasn’t worth it, plus I was already satisfied with what I had done locally. I’ll probably race enduro one day though.
mxb2
3/26/2019 8:53am
Tarz483 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
Ive been in hibernation for 5 months and the snow is just now melting, believe me i would if i could, past Divorce Child support bad...
Ive been in hibernation for 5 months and the snow is just now melting, believe me i would if i could, past Divorce Child support bad credit score etc etc , im still trying to think of a way but its not looking good right now. I dont have a bike right now ,If i can get one somehow this summer i will!
Yea man. Life happens, i worked days off. And overtime to get my mx stuff.
Forty
3/26/2019 8:56am
I take time off for injuries and then back at it. Injuries are starting to mount up though.
BobPA
3/26/2019 8:59am
No one is going to mention coke and hookers?
simpson335
3/26/2019 9:07am
At 17, I discovered this magical thing that my girlfriend had and I lost interest in everything else. Fast forward through military, marriage, careers and kids... and my kid tells me he wants to start racing. So, we both got bikes last summer. I personally think that once you’ve raced, you’re never done. It’s just an addiction waiting for you to relapse.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/26/2019 9:10am
simpson335 wrote:
At 17, I discovered this magical thing that my girlfriend had and I lost interest in everything else. Fast forward through military, marriage, careers and kids...
At 17, I discovered this magical thing that my girlfriend had and I lost interest in everything else. Fast forward through military, marriage, careers and kids... and my kid tells me he wants to start racing. So, we both got bikes last summer. I personally think that once you’ve raced, you’re never done. It’s just an addiction waiting for you to relapse.
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing 15 year old me screwed up man. If I waited to discover that magical thing my gf had, I would have at least made it to a back of the pack local pro. That magical thing women have really screwed with my head..
FWYT
3/26/2019 9:16am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 15 year old me screwed up man. If I waited to discover that magical thing my gf had, I would have at...
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing 15 year old me screwed up man. If I waited to discover that magical thing my gf had, I would have at least made it to a back of the pack local pro. That magical thing women have really screwed with my head..

Focus, man, FOCUS!!!!!

Laughing

LaughingLaughing
greenmx5
3/26/2019 9:16am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 9:18am
Too many fees at the tracks. Memberships for this and that, overpriced practice days, drive 2 hours to be at a track all day and get 10 laps in. Come back late Sunday night and clean up to go to work Monday morning and be dead all day Monday at work. Years of absence from family events became more important than a hobby that requires more time and money of you than it did 10 years ago.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/26/2019 9:17am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 15 year old me screwed up man. If I waited to discover that magical thing my gf had, I would have at...
FWYT wrote:

Focus, man, FOCUS!!!!!

Laughing

LaughingLaughing
It was so hard! LaughingLaughing
just James
3/26/2019 9:18am
Nothing in life matches blasting off the line, trying to beat 20 other guys to the first turn, and trying to keep them behind me for the rest of the race.
However, the reality of life takes precedent over my individual fun.
I, like so many others, just can't afford to get hurt.
kburgie
3/26/2019 9:18am
When I was a kid, I could ride down my driveway, down the road, onto a connecting trail, and then either trail ride or meet friends at two backyard tracks. Those were some of the best days ever (~1999-2003). Before I was old enough to drive, my CR80 was the coolest thing in the world and represented absolute freedom. With help from Dad, there were a few gravel pits and trail systems that we could load up and drive to.

Over the next few years one of those tracks was shut down over a lawsuit (which actually wasn't motocross related) and police started patrolling the pits and kicking people out. Play riding largely came to an end, and any riding meant loading up, driving to one of a few race tracks, and paying to ride. Still lots of fun, but considerably more effort than those magical days of riding in and out of my garage.

Then I went to college and around junior year sold my bike to pay for tuition. Then I graduated and got one of those motocross industry jobs. I thought I'd get to ride all the time, but even though this was motocross work, work got in the way!

Since then, it has felt like there are too many obstacles to get back into it: A place to store a bike, a vehicle to carry a bike, a place to ride, and the funds to support it.

Also, the injury thing. It was almost a rite of passage to break a bone on your dirt bike as a kid. Today it's a major inconvenience. The way I view injuries in our sport has also changed in a way that won't be popular here: We treat catastrophic injuries as if they're common. Chad Reed's injuries, for example, don't happen to other people unless they're in a horrible car accident. Professional athletes in other sports don't break their arms like Roczen, or their pelvis like Seely, or a femur like Stewart, and ever expect to come back. They don't smash their head like RJ Hampshire at Straight Rhythm and post on Instagram "just some bleeding in the brain" with expected timeline until they play again.

TLDR: I still watch, I still think of riding all the time, but life, money, time and risk of injury keeps me away.
Timo_2824
3/26/2019 9:26am
Discovered hare scrambles and enduro's, you feel like you got your money's worth when you race non-stop 2-3 hours. Last motocross race I did was two 5 lap races with a morning practice.
Titan1
3/26/2019 9:32am
Timo_2824 wrote:
Discovered hare scrambles and enduro's, you feel like you got your money's worth when you race non-stop 2-3 hours. Last motocross race I did was two...
Discovered hare scrambles and enduro's, you feel like you got your money's worth when you race non-stop 2-3 hours. Last motocross race I did was two 5 lap races with a morning practice.
Same with me!

I'd probably still be racing motocross if I never tried off road. I just love off road so much more (specifically hare and hounds and enduros)...and you get way more riding for your money, far less "image" conscious crowd, the riders depend on each other out on course-so there is more a "brotherhood vibe"....Off road is the reason I don't race moto.
rongi#401
3/26/2019 9:39am
I discovered drugs alcohol and dirty women, I’m back at it though, back at riding and have done one race so far this year, planning on racing again at swapmoto
3/26/2019 9:40am
Timo_2824 wrote:
Discovered hare scrambles and enduro's, you feel like you got your money's worth when you race non-stop 2-3 hours. Last motocross race I did was two...
^^^ THIS^^^^ Plus, I love to go on trail/dual sport type rides.........and also I'm not a very good MXer Smile
Steve125
Fantasy
2759th
3/26/2019 9:40am
I thought I quit once.. But it was only "time away" I raced cars during that time because I thought Travis said.. "With age get a cage". Got bored.. Now racing MX again and having more fun than ever. I like the camping and friendships as much as turning laps.. maybe more.
aeffertz
3/26/2019 9:41am
Racing? It’s too dangerous now that I have bills to pay and a job to be at Monday morning. I still ride but haven’t raced in a while now.
level
3/26/2019 9:41am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 9:41am
Not in good enough shape anymore. Started back smoking and stopped exercising. Have to be in good shape to ride the way I want too.
Johnny Depp
3/26/2019 9:48am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 2:31pm
I just realized that I hadn't raced Motocross in 3 years. I practice pretty regularly, and hit some Scrambles and Enduro's and Dual Sport. Tibia Plateau a few years back chilled me out I guess? At 61 I've been in and out a few times, injuries, kids, money wife and life. It's in my blood til the day I die though.
The future doesn't look too good, since I am transitioning to a Race Organizer and likely won't be on the line, but probably staging the line so others can enjoy. And believe me, what I am putting together is designed to address many of these issues and Make Moto Great Again! I'm putting my money where my mouth is and doing something about it.

Post a reply to: Why did you quit Racing Motocross?

The Latest