Why did you quit Racing Motocross?

4/24/2019 12:25pm
Hadn’t race for quite a while got really back into riding again, up to speed confident jumping went and raced a eastern centre race minding my own business learning the track in qualifying never been there before and some try hard douche t-bones me out of nowhere. Didn’t go down but he acknowledged his dick move, knee wasn’t good for 6 months! Good days racing but little things like that make you realise that you can’t second guess every dick who want to line up Smile

Track changes also take some of the fun out of it these days especially on a 125! Think there would be a good market for more natural terrain technical tracks and a125 race class
Fourth_Floor
4/24/2019 1:07pm
Pretty cool hearing some of the older hat's stories on here. Some of the dudes that's actually lived life. I have nothing exciting to contribute as I'm in the "got married and had kids boat" but I'm enjoying the read!!
4/24/2019 1:19pm
When the tracks started to become like slot car races, and I tried flat track racing. Less waiting around and better for spectators at flat track too.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
4/24/2019 1:26pm
PRM31 wrote:
Well, I quit racing as a teenager for some of the usual reasons; girls and playing football, but also in part due to injuries. Multiple broken...
Well, I quit racing as a teenager for some of the usual reasons; girls and playing football, but also in part due to injuries. Multiple broken arms, broken collarbone, cracked skull, etc.

Fast forward, kids have grown up, no longer in the military and I got back into riding. Bikes feel heavy. They are great until they decide to go sideways and there is less a chance to stop. Feels like navigating an 18 wheeler around a go kart track though. Where are the nimble exciting bikes I remembered? I sell the 4t pig and get a 2t. Ok, fixed that. Tracks have these make it or break it jumps. I’m not interested in breaking it and no longer have the skills to make it. I know, just roll them and move on, but it’s worse than just slowing down, it’s actually deflating. Hard to describe, but I’ll leave it at not fun. One track does evolve and seems to have gone away from any sketchy jumps. Kudos to them. Definitely more enjoyable experience. But it’s still a long drive to get there. I look into racing. Wow, there are like 52 classes now, and each has about 6 riders. Seems the same riders in many of the classes, especially in the vet classes. Weird. And in each class there are guys with white plates, some with yellow and more with black plates. Who’s who? I guess you pick whatever you want now. That’s different. Oh, I messed up a sketchy jump. Ouch. Shattered collarbone. Note to those getting older, bones take a lot longer to heal when you’re old! Heal up, get a different bike. Frame up rebuild on an RM125(144). That’s fun! Track is still a long distance away though. Want to improve riding to race, but don’t make time to go riding, thus don’t race. Sell bike, ponder riding future. I still love the sport. I’m 52 and don’t miss a race on TV. Why don’t I race? I don’t actually know, some combination of all the above I suppose. I wonder how many of us would race dirt bikes if they were a modern rendition of a 1976 Elsinore 125 in size and power, and the tracks were just natural terrain? Do more riders, especially those of us with jobs, limited time, really want 50, 60+ HP bikes that weigh 240+ lbs to ride around SX styled tracks? I guess somewhere deep down I answered that for myself.

I think you put into words what a hell of a Lot of people feel
A lot have gone to Off road which i get why but i dont like riding through tree's

The Shop

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
4/24/2019 1:34pm
At first for college and work. Then had a heart transplant, which, because they cut the nerves between the heart and brain, affects the heart's ability to respond to exercise. So, if I engage in some really vigorous activity requiring a lot of burst energy, I go anaerobic almost immediately because the heart rate doesn't increase rapidly enough to meet oxygen demand and the heart redlines a bit lower than conventional max heart rate.

For years I had no real issue riding as long as I paced myself, and managed a couple of multi day 500 miles rides in the desert, but its gotten more difficult to maintain the exertion for riding. I expect my pure off road days are largely over.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
4/24/2019 1:40pm
I've quit about 4 times so far. Real love/hate relationship with this sport.
philG
4/24/2019 2:29pm
At first for college and work. Then had a heart transplant, which, because they cut the nerves between the heart and brain, affects the heart's ability...
At first for college and work. Then had a heart transplant, which, because they cut the nerves between the heart and brain, affects the heart's ability to respond to exercise. So, if I engage in some really vigorous activity requiring a lot of burst energy, I go anaerobic almost immediately because the heart rate doesn't increase rapidly enough to meet oxygen demand and the heart redlines a bit lower than conventional max heart rate.

For years I had no real issue riding as long as I paced myself, and managed a couple of multi day 500 miles rides in the desert, but its gotten more difficult to maintain the exertion for riding. I expect my pure off road days are largely over.
Jeez. Thats gotta leave a mark. Honestly, that tops Kenny racing with someone elses elbow.

Big Respect
PRM31
4/24/2019 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2019 3:36pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Very Cool pictures press 516 , why was there so much yellow?
Press516 wrote:
79 and 80 were big time years for Suzuki and Yamaha... And in '81 the 125 Suzuki was the only bike to own. It was just...
79 and 80 were big time years for Suzuki and Yamaha... And in '81 the 125 Suzuki was the only bike to own. It was just a good run for yellow...
Indeed! In 1981 your choice was which shade of yellow.

ktmdan
4/24/2019 3:44pm
I stopped at 19 due to a serious brain injury. Also had many broken bones. Got back into it at 26 when I got on my own insurance and got a big boy job. I would love to win an expert off road championship this year and then hang up the boots. I’m always scared of getting hurt until I’m actually on the bike and then I don’t think about it.

I keep trying to think of what I will get into after I stop racing. Thought about hockey but it’s provably just as bad for concussions. Shifter cart racing... too expensive to be fast and I weigh 190lb. Soccer... I’ve had a concussion and blown out both ankles in the last 18 months playing soccer. Mountain bike racing will probably be what I get in to. I spend at least half my free time making music but I need something to feed my competition needs.
AZRider
4/24/2019 6:59pm
I quit when I was finishing my ME degree after 3 concussions in about 5 months. Said no more racing until done with school, that lasted about 3 years. Occasionally raced after kids were born. Now I'm 46 and getting ready to do a full summer of racing with my 11 yr old. If we race all we have planned out, I will get more gate drops in the next 5 months than I have had in the last 15 years combined. The 150 helped open up a few options for me for classes besides just doing the 45+ old guy thing
kaptkaos
4/24/2019 7:05pm
PRM31 wrote:
Indeed! In 1981 your choice was which shade of yellow. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/24/341627/s1200_2F8E476B_C17A_4EA2_9BAD_2D3A4C2E0065.jpg[/img]
Indeed! In 1981 your choice was which shade of yellow.

The 1981 RM125 was a fantastic bike! I was on a 1981 CR125 which sucked, but I am a Honda fan boy. The RM 125 in 81 was kicking my ass all over the track. I rode my 81 until I got an 1983 CR 125 which was the best bike I ever remember riding. Like the poster above, I am also 51 and remember bikes were lighter, nimbler, and the tracks were more fun. If I can ever find a 85 CR 125 I might get one!
CPR
4/24/2019 8:03pm
Too poor
Too unfit
Too old
Too slow
Like beer too much
Became a mechanic instead.
Brock1198
4/24/2019 8:22pm
Well after the bike sitting in a shop for 3 months then locking up the day i get it back and then going back for another 3 months sort of frustrated me. then after 5 months of riding i broke my tibia pretty bad at a lorettas area qualifier and was in a cast for 6 months. rode it about 4 times after getting cast off and decided i needed to sell my race bike to build a fast car and get back into racing later in life. 2 years later im sitting on an unfinished ford ranger 302 swap project and selling that bike was one of my biggest and only regret ive had. Not really in the financial position to get another bike at the moment but soon i hope to get another
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
4/24/2019 9:19pm
Brock1198 wrote:
Well after the bike sitting in a shop for 3 months then locking up the day i get it back and then going back for another...
Well after the bike sitting in a shop for 3 months then locking up the day i get it back and then going back for another 3 months sort of frustrated me. then after 5 months of riding i broke my tibia pretty bad at a lorettas area qualifier and was in a cast for 6 months. rode it about 4 times after getting cast off and decided i needed to sell my race bike to build a fast car and get back into racing later in life. 2 years later im sitting on an unfinished ford ranger 302 swap project and selling that bike was one of my biggest and only regret ive had. Not really in the financial position to get another bike at the moment but soon i hope to get another
Thats kind of a sad story, i hope you get one soon Smile
What was the bike that locked up right when u got it back from the shop?
Ranman68
4/25/2019 1:08am
A wife, a child, a mortgage, a huge SUV payment, etc. A major injury and not being able to work had become out of the question. I had responsibilities and people I loved depending on me to provide and be a dad. It would have been selfish and foolish to continue. For me at least. It was expert class and all out to win or nothing for me, so it was expensive and more injuries were inevitable. I was never that interested in trail riding for fun. Once racing was over, I got into other hobbies.
4/25/2019 1:32am
Amazing how your life changes from year to year. Gradual shift in a ten year period from living and dieing racing to the family adjustment where family and providing is first.
jleews6
4/25/2019 4:56am
I stopped riding in 1982 when i got my first car ( a brand new Mustang GT ). Then had kids and my youngest raced MX most of his life and now he is 26 and we both are going to start racing sprint enduro full gas. I just bought a 2019 Honda 250RX. We will see if this old fat guy can still ride. Smile
Brock1198
4/25/2019 5:44am
Brock1198 wrote:
Well after the bike sitting in a shop for 3 months then locking up the day i get it back and then going back for another...
Tarz483 wrote:
Thats kind of a sad story, i hope you get one soon :) What was the bike that locked up right when u got it back...
Thats kind of a sad story, i hope you get one soon Smile
What was the bike that locked up right when u got it back from the shop?
Was a 2006 cr125 that I had built by ebr not really sure what happened but I’m not mad because after getting it back the 2nd it ripped and was one of the favorite bikes I ever rode
chewy4063
4/25/2019 7:20am
ktmdan wrote:
I stopped at 19 due to a serious brain injury. Also had many broken bones. Got back into it at 26 when I got on my...
I stopped at 19 due to a serious brain injury. Also had many broken bones. Got back into it at 26 when I got on my own insurance and got a big boy job. I would love to win an expert off road championship this year and then hang up the boots. I’m always scared of getting hurt until I’m actually on the bike and then I don’t think about it.

I keep trying to think of what I will get into after I stop racing. Thought about hockey but it’s provably just as bad for concussions. Shifter cart racing... too expensive to be fast and I weigh 190lb. Soccer... I’ve had a concussion and blown out both ankles in the last 18 months playing soccer. Mountain bike racing will probably be what I get in to. I spend at least half my free time making music but I need something to feed my competition needs.
At your age there is no reason you should ever get a concussion in hockey. You won’t be hitting anymore and a concussion would be the result of a freak accident. Very rare and have never seen it playing in men’s leagues. Go for it!

This is assuming you know how to skate and won’t bury yourself into the boards...
duckdog77
4/25/2019 7:28am
ktmdan wrote:
I stopped at 19 due to a serious brain injury. Also had many broken bones. Got back into it at 26 when I got on my...

chewy4063 wrote:
At your age there is no reason you should ever get a concussion in hockey. You won’t be hitting anymore and a concussion would be the...
At your age there is no reason you should ever get a concussion in hockey. You won’t be hitting anymore and a concussion would be the result of a freak accident. Very rare and have never seen it playing in men’s leagues. Go for it!

This is assuming you know how to skate and won’t bury yourself into the boards...
I play hockey every Sunday in a men’s league through the winter months. Great work out and really fun. Been skating 8 years and no serious injuries. Tweaked my knee once, my fault went knee on knee with someone because my competitive nature came out a little too much. Another plus The people I’ve met through hockey have been awesome!
TSCHAM101
4/25/2019 8:09am
been riding from 6yrs old to now 27 yrs old... rode and raced from 6-14, crashed spent 2 weeks in ICU Parents sold my bike... started riding again at 16, crashed spent another 2 weeks in ICU(I also lost a couple months of memory from my life, 2nd half of Junior Year in high school)… bought my 450 in September of 2015, graduated college and now have a wife and a 2 yr old son and 1 on the way.. The riding is looking slim these days, but I average 2x a month...

3 reasons I don't race.
1. Its not practical for me to spend $40-80 on 30-45mins of racing
2. Lack of time. my wife will rip my balls off if I get to the track at 8am, and don't come home till 4.. (shes a stay at home mom, which makes it even worse)
3. Mortgage, owning a business.. I cant afford to be taken out anymore by up and coming kids trying to go pro..
4/25/2019 9:31am
Made the move over to Cross Country, much more fun for me. I do miss having a prepped riding surface, but you can't beat the seat time. I definitely wish there were some more natural type terrain moto tracks. The death defying jumps aren't for me anymore.
rallendude
4/25/2019 12:29pm
Started racing back in 1985 on an '84 CR60. I had been riding for a handful of years already but was hooked. I raced until we couldn't afford it and I was leaving for college. A few years out of college the YZ400 was introduced and it prompted me and my brother to go buy them. I started back racing in about 2000. I raced up until March 2015. Over the years I'd had some pretty big get offs and a string of broken bones but never thought about quitting. In 2009 I had my worst; 9 ribs, collarbone, scapula, a couple of vertebrae and a big hole in my lung cost me a month off work. My boss was good about it. I'm not one to miss work for any reason so he understood. Still, I never thought about quitting. Late in 2014 my wife and kids chose to stay home for most of the races and it was a little lonely at the tracks. My + class racing buddies were all fading off. Around here the average life span of a racer (showing up to race) is about three years. So, I wasn't really enjoying the racing. I had a great time on the bike but traveling to and from and spending all day at the track while my family was home doing something else was a drag. First race of 2015 I tangled bars in the first turn of a race. It was a fast left sweeper. Another guy clipped my handlebar just as I let off for the berm and I cartwheeled out across the run-off area breaking four ribs (again) and getting knocked out for 3-5 minutes. This was my fifth or sixth experience with broken ribs. I decided to lay off a while. I spent weekends shooting pistols with my dad and my two boys. Late 2016 I think, we joined a local riding club and have been riding single track in the woods more weekends than not. I tell myself I'm not done racing since I'd like to go back when the kids are grown but I'm 45 and still have 10 years before the youngest finishes college. We'll see I guess.
Ranman68
4/25/2019 2:50pm
rallendude wrote:
Started racing back in 1985 on an '84 CR60. I had been riding for a handful of years already but was hooked. I raced until we...
Started racing back in 1985 on an '84 CR60. I had been riding for a handful of years already but was hooked. I raced until we couldn't afford it and I was leaving for college. A few years out of college the YZ400 was introduced and it prompted me and my brother to go buy them. I started back racing in about 2000. I raced up until March 2015. Over the years I'd had some pretty big get offs and a string of broken bones but never thought about quitting. In 2009 I had my worst; 9 ribs, collarbone, scapula, a couple of vertebrae and a big hole in my lung cost me a month off work. My boss was good about it. I'm not one to miss work for any reason so he understood. Still, I never thought about quitting. Late in 2014 my wife and kids chose to stay home for most of the races and it was a little lonely at the tracks. My + class racing buddies were all fading off. Around here the average life span of a racer (showing up to race) is about three years. So, I wasn't really enjoying the racing. I had a great time on the bike but traveling to and from and spending all day at the track while my family was home doing something else was a drag. First race of 2015 I tangled bars in the first turn of a race. It was a fast left sweeper. Another guy clipped my handlebar just as I let off for the berm and I cartwheeled out across the run-off area breaking four ribs (again) and getting knocked out for 3-5 minutes. This was my fifth or sixth experience with broken ribs. I decided to lay off a while. I spent weekends shooting pistols with my dad and my two boys. Late 2016 I think, we joined a local riding club and have been riding single track in the woods more weekends than not. I tell myself I'm not done racing since I'd like to go back when the kids are grown but I'm 45 and still have 10 years before the youngest finishes college. We'll see I guess.
That's a lot of injuries over the years, and at your age you're still trying to go at it? Lol. The sign of a guy that discovered motocross and just ate that shit up. I feel ya. It's a brotherhood. You only live once and you'll quit when you've had your fill. Ain't nothin wrong with that.
Just fyi.... Be careful. Long stories such as yours, that are not properly broken up into paragraphs can cause an uproar on here. There's certain members on here who are triggered by such thangs and they will not hesitate to bum rush you with some majorly snarky reply regarding it. It's brutal.
DEMONDAVE
4/25/2019 3:05pm
theres a list cost of new bike 10k+ , $40 / $60 for a few laps , $4.25 a gallon gas for our truck , mods / race gas bla bla bla
now days BMX fills the void , still costly if you go top shelf parts but no gas better cardio easier to load / haul store
Motomadlad
4/25/2019 4:01pm
I'm originally from the UK and raced there back in my teens and twenty's.
Like many, the time/financial factor became too much to continue racing, plus, it:s a big world and there was lots of other fun things to do.
I've lived in the US for the last 22years and have considered going back to racing MX several times.
The #1 reason for me not to do it in the 'States has been the possibility of financially crippling medical bills.
I can live with the costs required in time and money to race because those are mostly in my control.
The costs of medical bills if I get injured, (something I never had to think about when I raced in the UK,) are not and we all know, it's not a matter of if but when, on the injury front.

I am considering getting a bike and just hitting my local tracks for practice days and doing some hare scrambles to get my racing fix again.
motogrady
4/25/2019 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2019 5:25pm
I've come and gone 3 times.
1st time I got bored with it.
2nd time I got hurt and got onto other things while healing.
3 rd time got bored with it again.

Seemed after 3 years each time, just as I got to the point I was a contender with the top guys, it got boring.

I can see why guys like Stew just walk away.
I mean heck, 20 years of doing anything would
make me wanna kill somebody.
Ranman68
4/26/2019 1:21am
TriRacer27 wrote:
I've quit about 4 times so far. Real love/hate relationship with this sport.
Well put.
Once a man (or boy) signs up and races his first motocross race he's screwed. The thrill and rush is so great that once you feel it you have to have it again and again and again....
Once your brain experiences it, it always remembers and you're going to either race or live out your days battling to resist a great urge.
It's expensive, you get hurt, medical bills, can't work, it can kill relationships, and cause all sorts of problems for you.
Like meth?
No I'd say more like a hot chick you meet that rocks your world with crazy exciting sex, and you just can't let it go even though she's psycho. She hates your mom, controls you, spends all your money, and wreaks havoc in your life. The sex is just crazy good, so you deal with it because you gotta have it. You might break up with her, but you're always vulnerable to her temptations.
Motocross...like hooking up with a hot psycho chick who's a freak in bed. That's the love/hate relationship I know I still have with motocross, even though I haven't raced for many years. And the one I'll always have with a certain ex girlfriend. ??
4/26/2019 1:26am
motogrady wrote:
I've come and gone 3 times. 1st time I got bored with it. 2nd time I got hurt and got onto other things while healing. 3...
I've come and gone 3 times.
1st time I got bored with it.
2nd time I got hurt and got onto other things while healing.
3 rd time got bored with it again.

Seemed after 3 years each time, just as I got to the point I was a contender with the top guys, it got boring.

I can see why guys like Stew just walk away.
I mean heck, 20 years of doing anything would
make me wanna kill somebody.
Same thing happened to me, started to gain some good speed and form but the better I got the more pressure I put on myself to do well. As with all things in my life more pressure = less enjoyment. Gave it up for 12 years or so but picked up an 05 RM250 a couple of years ago and have done the odd race and plenty of tinkering. Keeps me happy & hungry for more!
erik_94COBRA
4/26/2019 7:29am
Reading this thread is depressing AF. I identify with the earlier posters in many ways.

I quit racing motocross in high school when I started spending more time hanging out with friends and partying. Then found cars (hence username) and sold bike.

Started again in early college, regained a bit of speed and then crashed and broke my tibia/fibula. Two surgeries and 10 months later and I was back on two feet. No riding for 7 years after this.

After having a real job and some disposable income, eased back into track riding. Had fun just riding practice days. Started building a bit of speed again (over many years) and crashed in a race and broke a rib or multiple ribs.That put a damper on racing for a short time, but also impacted speed negatively for a while.

After reflecting on riding/racing and what I really like about it, I get most of the benefits of MX on practice days without the excess risks of race days (racers on unfamiliar tracks going for broke, poor track prep, sitting around all day, etc.).

There is a race on Saturday that I'm considering going to. But, that means getting up early and sitting around all day for one practice and four 10 minute motos. It's hard to really quit once you've had a taste.

Post a reply to: Why did you quit Racing Motocross?

The Latest