Why did you quit Racing Motocross?

davis224
Fantasy
138th
3/27/2019 2:40pm
Last regular MX race was in February of 2012, I was 23. Went end over end, tweaked my back up pretty good, was nervous about getting hurt and didn't ride as much through the year. Next year rolled around, I rode a lot, but never got around to signing up to race, plus the travel bug had bitten me, as well as playing in a band. Slowly started riding less, more bills piling up with age, putting more money towards traveling and music gear, spring of 2015 I was riding and my bike started cutting out. I parked it, saying I'd look at it soon and get it fixed up. Ended up not riding for 2.5 years, when a coworker offered to let me ride his son's 250f at a team race if I paired up with him. It was at LTM in Illinois, November 2017, they combined both MX tracks together with a trail section, sounded too fun to pass up. Had a blast at the race, fixed my bike up that next week, and rode until December when it finally got cold. Ended up letting 2018 slip away, not riding once. Here I am now getting the itch to ride again, and maybe even doing one or two races in the +30 class. But I just dont have the money to do it often anymore.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/27/2019 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 4:38pm
When I was 19 I stopped because of my dad. He rode me like a horse for years and nothing was ever good enough for him no matter how good I did. In 84 I worked my ass off and had a good year but he thought it should’ve been better. P I was doing a lot of testing for a team and I trained hard and my dad just took the fun out.

One day he said the wrong thing to me after I had a bad day and I exploded on him. I threw a bunch of pictures away and broke a bunch of trophies and told him I never wanted to ride or talk about motorcycles again. I went back to school and didn’t even sit on a motorcycle for years.

I raced again in 2012 and 13 but I’m very competitive and it became not fun again, so now I just ride.
MelonFan123
3/27/2019 5:08pm
For me, it's access. Not only do i no longer race MX i don't even ride moto. There is only one track within a reasonable driving distance for me, LACR. Riding the same track gets old.

After riding inconsistently (4-5x per year max) over the past 6 or so years, I finally said enough and bought a new KTM 500exc. I am riding about 4-5x a month now and I couldn't be happier! Totally revived my love for dirt bikes again. I did a hare scrambles on the bike and signed up for a sprint enduro this weekend.

As others have said on this thread, the off-road scene is way more fun, it's laid back, and I like making a weekend of it vs. just showing up to the track, racing and going home.
plowboy
3/27/2019 5:18pm
Two reasons. My knees. Just can't sit/stand fast enough for moto.

The Shop

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/27/2019 5:28pm
Titan1 wrote:
Well if the reasons listed in this thread are the problem...creating a series that allows: -Only allow completely stock bikes (with the exception of springs...and wear...
Well if the reasons listed in this thread are the problem...creating a series that allows:

-Only allow completely stock bikes (with the exception of springs...and wear parts...no performance mods.)
- Classes: Open C, Open B, Open A, and Open Pro classes only (let the vets run with guys their same speed, regardless of their age).
-Such limited classes will limit the turn out to 160 riders...so, if there are more than that (Once it becomes a victim of its own success...which its sure to become, since this would eliminate most everyone's excuses-except injuries and time), and there are more than 40 riders signing up for a class, then you can either run two qual motos...5 minute +1 lap....top 20 from each qualifier makes the 40 man gates. And consolation moto's at the end of the day for those that didn't qualify (2 ten minute +2 motos...C, B, A)...or split each class into 125 and 250 as needed for a maximum of 8 classes.
-mots are: 2 15 minute +2 (C), 20 minute +2 (Cool and 25 minute + 2 (A), 30 plus 2 for the pros.
-Start the first moto at sun up (so you can be done and on your way home to mow the lawn by noon)

The tracks need to be natural terrain. Any and all jumps must be very forgiving (rounded landings with long run outs), no blind landings. Mostly table tops....

Keeps the cost down...keeps the sitting around waiting for your moto time down...increases seat time drastically...you'd only be allowed to race one class so entry fee cost would go down...you can show up in the morning, race your motos and go home early in the day...and since its what everyone wants you'd be racing a full gate of riders.

Would you show up to race that series?
Id Rather it start at 12:00 noon
Or 5-6 pm and have it be a night race under the lights
Especially if its in the summer in a hot climate
3/27/2019 5:31pm
Similar to a lot of you guys.
I started racing late (23-24 yrs old), after a few seasons, getting in to shape, attending moto camps/schools I was getting some speed, started to collect the plastic, and then the injuries started. I had 3 straight seasons in my late 20s/early 30s where I was seriously hurt, broken bones, back injuries, some crashes that required surgeries etc.Really started to take the fun out of it. Then I started racing vet classes and the fun came back.
Started hare scrambles after someone got me hooked, bought a yz250x just for them, and took on a tree at 40mph 20 minutes in to the first race of the 2018 season. Swore I was done with riding as I laid there in the trees with my lower leg off at an unnatural angle. Took a long time to get me out of the woods, when I finally made it to the ER, it was obvious I had been through the whole procedure too many times, it seemed routine to be put under once again, for them to fix me up. A year later, the knee is still not 100% with many hours of physio and gym time put in to recovery.
Sold the mx bike that summer because I will never ride with my previous confidence ever again, and that is an accident waiting to happen... And honestly, who wants to go slower?
The gf is not happy as I went from saying I will never ride again, to I'll just trail ride with the guys and now I want to keep doing hare scrambles and to do the toughest 2 day race in Canada.

Looking back at MX I did a rough estimate of what I had spent in about 10 years of racing... With all the travel, weekend camping all weekend every weekend, all the fees, bikes, maintenance, gear etc etc I had spent at least 100g... I could've spent that money and time building my future airplane and my body wouldn't be shot... But I wouldn't have had the fun.

MX is way too much money for the time spent on the track on a race day... spend the day before making sure everything is ready to go and packed, leave at 3am in the morning to get to the track in time, pay my $120 entry fees on top of the gas in the truck... Get to ride about 40 minutes over the next 12 hours and then drive 4 hours home. I've now spent about $400 for some fun with a huge risk to my safety.
Off road I spend less time driving, I show up at 11am, ride my guts out for a couple hours, then by 4 I'm on my way home all for like $100 including gas, and it's less of a risk (just stay off the trees).

I will never seriously ride mx ever again, might turn a few laps at a friend's practice track but that is about it.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/27/2019 5:37pm
Titan1 wrote:
Well if the reasons listed in this thread are the problem...creating a series that allows: -Only allow completely stock bikes (with the exception of springs...and wear...
Well if the reasons listed in this thread are the problem...creating a series that allows:

-Only allow completely stock bikes (with the exception of springs...and wear parts...no performance mods.)
- Classes: Open C, Open B, Open A, and Open Pro classes only (let the vets run with guys their same speed, regardless of their age).
-Such limited classes will limit the turn out to 160 riders...so, if there are more than that (Once it becomes a victim of its own success...which its sure to become, since this would eliminate most everyone's excuses-except injuries and time), and there are more than 40 riders signing up for a class, then you can either run two qual motos...5 minute +1 lap....top 20 from each qualifier makes the 40 man gates. And consolation moto's at the end of the day for those that didn't qualify (2 ten minute +2 motos...C, B, A)...or split each class into 125 and 250 as needed for a maximum of 8 classes.
-mots are: 2 15 minute +2 (C), 20 minute +2 (Cool and 25 minute + 2 (A), 30 plus 2 for the pros.
-Start the first moto at sun up (so you can be done and on your way home to mow the lawn by noon)

The tracks need to be natural terrain. Any and all jumps must be very forgiving (rounded landings with long run outs), no blind landings. Mostly table tops....

Keeps the cost down...keeps the sitting around waiting for your moto time down...increases seat time drastically...you'd only be allowed to race one class so entry fee cost would go down...you can show up in the morning, race your motos and go home early in the day...and since its what everyone wants you'd be racing a full gate of riders.

Tarz483 wrote:
Id Rather it start at 12:00 noon Or 5-6 pm and have it be a night race under the lights Especially if its in the summer...
With technology getting better and cheaper, maybe it woube cheaper/easier to get a track set up with lights ?
braaap
Fantasy
2193rd
3/27/2019 10:34pm
Not fear of injury but fear of the potential loss of income from a serious injury like my last one; 7 ribs, scapula, MCL tear, torn labrum in shoulder and one bad ass concussion.

3 kids in major college back to back to back with 4 years of overlap is massive on the bank account. I can’t chance another injury that will prevent me from working 600-800 hours OT each year.

Pretty sad actually, I’ve had bikes in my garage almost continually for the last 40 years. Told my wife I may as well sell the KTM 350 and I actually started tearing up and almost boo-hooing! I don’t think most women can ever understand the physical and emotional attachment to Motocross.
JJO741
Fantasy
3037th
3/27/2019 11:00pm
Injuries. Just wasn’t worth it anymore. Still enjoy doing desert riding on occasions. I still love riding overall, but will never track ride or race again.
chewy4063
3/27/2019 11:04pm
Titan1 wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
Id Rather it start at 12:00 noon Or 5-6 pm and have it be a night race under the lights Especially if its in the summer...
Tarz483 wrote:
With technology getting better and cheaper, maybe it woube cheaper/easier to get a track set up with lights ?
Central Texas has a night series with about four tracks. Starts around 430pm and ends around 10. Great option when summer death heat rolls in.
Deja New
3/28/2019 1:25am
Alcohol pot n vaginas in no particular order.....,,25 Years later still love me some alcohol n vagina if possible at the same time. Still ride just don’t race.
155hk
3/28/2019 11:59am
Money and injuries. Personally I find mountain biking more fun with buddies and easier to just get out and ride whenever, I still have a big bore 110 to get my urges out.
racerxx276
3/28/2019 12:36pm
There is a reason why 2200 + racers show up for a GNCC and the local track can't attract any riders...

They turned MX tracks into SX tracks... RACING happens ON THE GROUND!

FROM MXA today

2019 DAYTONA SX: 106 RACERS BROUGHT TO THE LOCAL HOSPITAL BETWEEN THE PRO & AMATEUR SX DAY
MX114
3/28/2019 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2019 5:13pm
Raced just about every weekend from the early 90’s as a kid until 2016 in my 30’s. For me it started in 2013 after a trip to Loretta Lynn’s turned into a disaster and left there salty and over it. Didnt want to look at a dirt bike. Sold mine soon as I got back and stepped completely away for a year.... then after seeing some buddy’s getting ready for unadilla weekend in 2014 I and went to the local Yamaha shop an picked up a new yz250. Showed up to Dilla without even breaking it in or touching a clicker. Ended up with a 5th place overall in the +25 class and had a great time enjoying some cold beers on the tailgate after the motos. After that weekend was right back at a for two more years before the burn out started hitting me again. It was at the end of the summer 2016 at a local night race the end came. I went out and won my first moto somehow but wasn’t even happy or into it. Got back to the pit threw the bike on the stand and just sat in my chair in a daze thinking about wtf I was even doing this for anymore. I should of been stoked and excited for the second moto but felt nothing like that. Second moto starts to get near when it starts lightning and thundering. The rain follows and they announced that had to cancel the rest of the second motos. Instead of being bummed the night ended like that I felt a sense of relief and was glad could load up and go home at that point. As a racer that’s when you know your time has come. I knew right then that I was done racing. Didn’t touch the bike the rest of that summer/fall then sold it. This sport gave me so much. Traveled all over the country, met tons of rad people and made so many cool memories, a job in the industry in my 20’s where I got to experience the So Cal moto life while also living on the beach (good times) . But it also came at an expense. School took a backseat and was never a priority unfortunately, spent a crazy amount of money over the years and so did my dad when I was younger, missed out on allot of normal life events, allot of injuries including losing my spleen in 2009. But would I trade any of it or regrets.... NEVER! Moto is the greatest sport in the world. Someday I’ll ride again but my racing spirit will probably never come back. In 2019 my wife and I have an amazing baby girl who’s 6 months old and that’s keeping more me than busy and happy at the moment
duckdog77
3/28/2019 3:32pm
I raced from 8-14. At 15 Dad said to get a job and start paying gate fees. I got a job but racing faded off. At 19 I tried to get back into the sport and broke my leg first time back on the bike. Out of shape rode to long and poor bike prep. All of which I hope I learned from.

I never stopped with motorcycles. But decided to focus more on my career. I had street bikes, cruisers, bobbers. Did some street bike stunt riding (as if that was safer than moto)

Spent the last 3 years building a house with the wife. Now we live on 10 acres that’s slowly turning into a motocross track and wooded trails. At 31 I just got a bike after 12 years out of the sport. I’m in the best shape of my life and continuing to work on my fitness and ride 2-3 times a week. There are GP races within an hour of my place at a couple different tracks once a month. I’m going to try one out in a few weeks. And hope I’ve learned from my mistakes of pushing too hard. Just want to have some fun. I don’t have any friends that ride so I’m hoping to get to the GP’s and meet some cool people this summer.
linker48x
3/28/2019 3:35pm
Knees wore out. And I raced nearly 50 years, it was just time to stop. And I'm an old guy and big jumps don't excite me.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/28/2019 4:01pm
racerxx276 wrote:
There is a reason why 2200 + racers show up for a GNCC and the local track can't attract any riders... They turned MX tracks into...
There is a reason why 2200 + racers show up for a GNCC and the local track can't attract any riders...

They turned MX tracks into SX tracks... RACING happens ON THE GROUND!

FROM MXA today

2019 DAYTONA SX: 106 RACERS BROUGHT TO THE LOCAL HOSPITAL BETWEEN THE PRO & AMATEUR SX DAY
106????
EngIceDave
3/28/2019 4:10pm
My parents stopped payin?

Then when I tried to make a "come back" my body said "fuck you"
mmcmx
3/28/2019 4:15pm
Reached a plateau, improvement from here requires a level of commitement and risk I'm not willing to take. Tried riding just for fun but riding around slow is no fun. I don't think you can half ass moto, it's even more dangerous if you are not in your A game. Trying other sports now.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
3/28/2019 4:21pm
If the promoter could offer secondary insurance. Cost of getting hurt is the number one reason.
Meister
3/28/2019 5:49pm
Took a year and a half off. Kid, house, work... But I can't QUIT... Till I'm dead... It's stuck in me.. I'm fat (working on it. -30 since January), but I still have the urge to redeem myself at a baja regional in +30..
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/28/2019 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2019 6:12pm
Meister wrote:
Took a year and a half off. Kid, house, work... But I can't QUIT... Till I'm dead... It's stuck in me.. I'm fat (working on it...
Took a year and a half off. Kid, house, work... But I can't QUIT... Till I'm dead... It's stuck in me.. I'm fat (working on it. -30 since January), but I still have the urge to redeem myself at a baja regional in +30..
That year and Half can become 10 yrs or more before you know it
dimetime
3/28/2019 6:19pm
mx617 wrote:
To the guys who are talking about racing for a $3 trophy or a series jacket, is that really why you raced? I've never understood that...
To the guys who are talking about racing for a $3 trophy or a series jacket, is that really why you raced? I've never understood that view, to me it was always about challenging myself and seeing how well I could perform. Whether it was for first or fifteenth it was all about the battle.
STLSharky wrote:
They’re just making excuses racing is for racing. Practicing is practicing
peltier626 wrote:
I could care less who's faster than me as long as I'm having fun riding. That's why I ride. When my helmet's on the rest of...
I could care less who's faster than me as long as I'm having fun riding. That's why I ride. When my helmet's on the rest of the world does not matter, it is the most sincere escape from reality that I have ever experienced. For me to be concerned with who's faster or slower than me does absolutely nothing for my satisfaction. People who do this for their profession is an entirely different set of circumstances. I have mad respect for the elite few who turn this into a career.
You know l know think of riding now in the same way l think of surfing. The fewer on the track the better and if l'm alone even that's the best. If l could have a private track l'd ride alone all day everyday and love it.

Most of the crashes l've had have been caused by ofher riders stupidity and it is purely for my joy at this point.

Personally l think 4 old guys racing slow as fuck is kind of lame. It means nothing but if it floats ypur boat have at it. But never mistake that it makes you cooler or more hardcore or faster than dudes who don't race. Oh and jacking yourself off because you do race and trying to tear down those that don't tell me all l need to know about you.
JWACK
3/28/2019 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/29/2019 4:02am
mx617 wrote:
To the guys who are talking about racing for a $3 trophy or a series jacket, is that really why you raced? I've never understood that...
To the guys who are talking about racing for a $3 trophy or a series jacket, is that really why you raced? I've never understood that view, to me it was always about challenging myself and seeing how well I could perform. Whether it was for first or fifteenth it was all about the battle.
Maybe your talking about me. If so I can add that It wasn't really about the trophies. I was in A class and getting paid money anyways. No trophys durring the season. Quitting that promoters series for me was about them giving us racers their word and then them not following through.. To me your word still means something. If you say your going to do something then do it. Dont bullshit people.
Also I will say when you did your best, put in 110% effort, raced to win, had tons of battles, won some, lost some, met some of your best friends and even made some enemy's it's nice to have a few 3 dollar reminders years later when none of it even mattered.
3/28/2019 7:44pm
Mostly fear of injuries. I almost died in a car accident 9 years ago, Ive been a huge wimp since then. Also, got bills to pay. I cant afford to miss work if Im laid up. I originally got out of racing because I went to college, and didnt have time to. Never got back into it.
MAAA
3/28/2019 8:06pm
Titan1 wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
I moved from Indiana to California in 1980 after college. One of the first tracks I raced was Baylands in Fremont. Races were Wednesday nights under the lights and there was no shortage of riders. I also remember racing in Sacramento under the lights around the same time. In the 90’s, Club Moto and the San Jose fair grounds under the lights were popular.
3/28/2019 8:28pm
I haven't officially quit - but I don't ride anymore like I want

Last 2 years shoulder injuries totally stopped my riding ability.
Turns out shoulders also stop a lot of other activities most MXer's like too!

I personally think the rising cost of healthcare - and IMHO the absolute shitty quality crap shoot you get (great healthcare out there - but not easily accessible for everyone) - are hurting this sport bad.

If it was no big deal to get something looked at - or fixed - and it was done right the first time from a true expert in that field - I think more people would stick with it.

Now I have time to post on vital Wink though... Big upgrade!Dizzy

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/28/2019 9:35pm
I didn't quit I just haven't raced for 11 years.
Just taking a little break ?
Meister
3/28/2019 9:43pm
I stopped it at a year and a half and bought a bike. Made a deal with my wife I wouldn't blow a bunch of money on the newest gear n bling, so I'm bringing back 2001 since I have so much new crap from that era. Also, I wouldn't buy a new bike. Busted my ass on some side work and bought a used 450 with all the bling stuff I knew I'd be tempted to buy. Its happening.

Post a reply to: Why did you quit Racing Motocross?

The Latest