Webb’s performance

Park Boys
5/30/2021 7:39am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2021 7:45pm
Webb is in the prime of his career and in Supercross he is a legend already but we have to mention how bad he was yesterday, I can’t think of a guy at his level (2x SX champ) ever doing that bad in straight up races in the sports history. If Roczen would have gone from 1st to 5th and then 2nd to 11th there would have been plenty of threads about it, saying he should retire. I’m not gonna say he can’t turn it around but man that second moto didn’t even seem real. Best bike, team, trainer and to get passed out of the top 10 by a guy who was on the ground in the first turn has to be a tough pill to swallow. I’m assuming he improves for race 2, he has too.
|
Boomslang
5/30/2021 7:44am
Both Webb and Tomac looked lost out there, however, there are still 22 motos left, plenty of time to turn it around but the depth of talent is going to make it difficult.

Looking forwad to the next round.

5/30/2021 7:51am
Both Webb and Tomac should be finishing higher. Those were dismally bad rides given their pay grade and equipment.
downard254
5/30/2021 7:56am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2021 10:05am
It's not like McGraths earlier years where he just didn't get it done in outdoor motocross while winning SX title after title. Webb does have an outdoor 250 MX title so it's not like he can't ride a motocross track. Hell, didn't he beat Hearlings in the MX2 race in NC or wherever it was a number of years back? He definitely looked uncomfortable out on the track. Perhaps he's still getting his outdoor settings dialed in. Who knows, but I'd expect he'll improve over the next couple rounds. Same with Tomac. I think they'll both get better as the season wears on, but man, these younger guys are definitely hauling the mail, and I for one am loving it.

Edit: yes I know McGrath won the 1995 250 MX title and was well on the way to the ‘96 title until the foot injury, but in prior years he just wasn’t getting it done. Web on the other hand won the lites outdoor title prior to winning 2 SX titles so it’s not like he doesn’t know how to ride MX
Cortami79
5/30/2021 7:59am
Maybe he didnt want to push too much. 11 races to go. 22 starts.. better to not throw it away immediately

The Shop

hartebreak
5/30/2021 8:07am
We all know round 1 is a throw out round. Every year, without fail we have a few riders who are just duds. I think the panic buttons should stay locked until round 3. After round 3 feel free to smash the button.
crusty_xx
5/30/2021 8:08am
Yeah looked like he just didn't have the pace. He was 9th at H1 as well though. By round 3 he was winning
Soldozer
5/30/2021 8:09am
Justin Bogle told him that he can just roll around the track in 20th and KTM wont even fire him.
Creiz
5/30/2021 8:17am
Yeah, that was bad. Def dropped the anchor big time. He better pick up the pace quick in this field or Im calling Webb out of the championship already
Johnny Ringo
5/30/2021 8:19am
“Can’t think of a guy at his level doing that bad in straight up races”

Lol ok dude. Field is deeper than it’s been in 20 years.
dge532
5/30/2021 8:21am
crusty_xx wrote:
Yeah looked like he just didn't have the pace. He was 9th at H1 as well though. By round 3 he was winning
Notorious slow starter of individual races and series. As the series heads east, and he's still stinkin it up, feel free to pile on
H4L
5/30/2021 8:21am
OP - LOL ! Best bike is subjective..
It was obvious that Honda & Yamaha had their bikes more dialed..

I couldn’t help but chuckle after reading some of the threads thinking he was going to be a contender this year in the outdoors.

He hasn’t proven it on a 450 yet as the results speak for themselves since he’s been on the big bike.
Kasims
5/30/2021 8:22am
It was just he’s mental game, next round he gonna finish 8-8 or 7-7, so watch out.
TeamGreen
5/30/2021 8:23am
There were 12 riders, the way I see it, that can win this thing...this year...in the 450 class.
5/30/2021 8:24am
Not saying it's easy but it's easier being a SX rider than MX.

Since the sport in the past 15 years has been more SX focused you'll have riders like Webb, shimoda is one of them I suspect aswell.
Park Boys
5/30/2021 8:29am
“Can’t think of a guy at his level doing that bad in straight up races” Lol ok dude. Field is deeper than it’s been in 20...

Wait, aren't you the guy that posted a pic of RC, Stew and Reed at Washougal and said Webb would be the only one of this generation to compete with them? Laughing

Name an Elite rider in the prime of his career that went 2nd to 11th with no crashes on a normal conditioned track. I obviously think he will get better but that was a tough watch.
Johnny Ringo
5/30/2021 8:33am
“Can’t think of a guy at his level doing that bad in straight up races” Lol ok dude. Field is deeper than it’s been in 20...

Park Boys wrote:
Wait, aren't you the guy that posted a pic of RC, Stew and Reed at Washougal and said Webb would be the only one of this...
Wait, aren't you the guy that posted a pic of RC, Stew and Reed at Washougal and said Webb would be the only one of this generation to compete with them? Laughing

Name an Elite rider in the prime of his career that went 2nd to 11th with no crashes on a normal conditioned track. I obviously think he will get better but that was a tough watch.
Dunge hangtown 2010 comes to mind
dboivin
5/30/2021 8:38am
its the dirt and track style IMO. as it goes east tomac and webb will pick it up.
Sully22
5/30/2021 8:39am

Park Boys wrote:
Wait, aren't you the guy that posted a pic of RC, Stew and Reed at Washougal and said Webb would be the only one of this...

Was reading through the thread and about to post a link to the results page for this race...RD went 10-6 at hangtown in 2010

http://americanmotocrossresults.com/live/archives/mx/2010/01/450_overal…
Park Boys
5/30/2021 8:42am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2021 8:50am

Park Boys wrote:

Dungey’s first ever 450MX race also his worse. First moto was terrible he started 10th, finished 10th. His second moto though was not all that bad. The end of lap one he was 13th and he finished 6th about 1 second behind 5th. So between the two motos he finished 7 positions higher than his first lap position. Webb lost 13 positions between the two motos. + 7 for Dungey - 13 for Webb is one way to look at it. That second moto yesterday for Webb is without equal for someone of his caliber IMO. Again I think he turns it around.

Pit Row

5/30/2021 8:45am

The field being deep might matter if he got a bad start and couldn't move forward. He went backwards
5/30/2021 8:50am
I have to eat my words a bit, I thought Webb would be better this year. Obviously there is still time for him to turn it around and I think he will but yeah, that wasn’t a great performance.
Up Wind
5/30/2021 8:59am
I have to eat my words a bit, I thought Webb would be better this year. Obviously there is still time for him to turn it...
I have to eat my words a bit, I thought Webb would be better this year. Obviously there is still time for him to turn it around and I think he will but yeah, that wasn’t a great performance.
Its clearly the bike. He should get off that orange pig and go back to Yamaha Smile
gt80rider
5/30/2021 8:59am
Either et3 is flipn the bird to kawi and putting in tenth place finishes, or he is just over it... I'm betting he is just done with it....

Webb, who some call the strongest mental guy in the sport, hasn't shown much outdoors.... maybe he truly focuses on sx and lets mx slide.... maybe he doesn't have that mental toughness for two series..... who knows... but if he wants to be one of America's best, he needs to put in the effort outdoors too.... but looks like he is taking the summer off again....
Tarz483
5/30/2021 9:03am
Park Boys wrote:
Webb is in the prime of his career and in Supercross he is a legend already but we have to mention how bad he was yesterday...
Webb is in the prime of his career and in Supercross he is a legend already but we have to mention how bad he was yesterday, I can’t think of a guy at his level (2x SX champ) ever doing that bad in straight up races in the sports history. If Roczen would have gone from 1st to 5th and then 2nd to 11th there would have been plenty of threads about it, saying he should retire. I’m not gonna say he can’t turn it around but man that second moto didn’t even seem real. Best bike, team, trainer and to get passed out of the top 10 by a guy who was on the ground in the first turn has to be a tough pill to swallow. I’m assuming he improves for race 2, he has too.
These California tracks aren't everybody's forte. I recall Dungey used to struggle at round one which was always hangtown but still California. I wouldnt write off Cooper just yet. wait till the tracks go east.
5/30/2021 9:07am
Park Boys wrote:
Webb is in the prime of his career and in Supercross he is a legend already but we have to mention how bad he was yesterday...
Tarz483 wrote:
These California tracks aren't everybody's forte. I recall Dungey used to struggle at round one which was always hangtown but still California. I wouldnt write off...
These California tracks aren't everybody's forte. I recall Dungey used to struggle at round one which was always hangtown but still California. I wouldnt write off Cooper just yet. wait till the tracks go east.
Outside of 2010 Dungey got 2nd a lot at Hangtown. Not really struggling. Maybe my memory is wrong though
Park Boys
5/30/2021 9:09am
Outside of 2010 Dungey got 2nd a lot at Hangtown. Not really struggling. Maybe my memory is wrong though
I was gonna say this. He finished 2nd at Hangtown from 2011 thru 2016. The opener of 2014 was Glen Helen and he won.
dge532
5/30/2021 9:17am
McGrath not known as king of sx for nothing. Was getting smoked in 125s as an sx champ
TbonesPop
5/30/2021 9:20am
The one thing to remember is with a deep field, almost everybody is going to have a bad weekend at some point. So the points will get diluted. Its not like this is going to come down to RV or RD, and one rider got a big points jump on the other. So from purely a points perspective, its very overcomeable.

That said Webb was way off the race pace. If you put riders into 3 categories of swimmers, floaters, and sinkers, Webb was definitely a sinker. Not time to panic, but if this happens again in the next few rounds, then hit it.
Soldozer
5/30/2021 9:41am
I have to eat my words a bit, I thought Webb would be better this year. Obviously there is still time for him to turn it...

What?

It was one race on a crappy ass track. I turn on the GP and those dudes were racing on chocolate cake with no ruts or jumps. Looked like CareyHart's backyard track.
captmoto
5/30/2021 9:51am
Yeah, I missed by a mile but it will be a long season.

Post a reply to: Webb’s performance

The Latest

The Latest