New Format

GTCD15317
Posts
105
Joined
9/4/2017
Location
Burgettstown, PA, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/9/2018 10:15am
When bikes were on track last night the racing was great, but to me, the loss of semi's equaled less racing and more B.S television fill. Made for a very boring televison viewing experience.
|
Motofinne
Posts
11620
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
FI
1/7/2018 9:39am
Yeah i have to agree to some extent. But i guess we'll get used to it.
dimetime
Posts
639
Joined
5/27/2017
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
1/7/2018 9:44am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2018 9:48am
The new format is awful. So much wasted time and so little racing.

My son and l were just blown away at how they had to burn time to make up for the lack of semis and it's getting very hard to justify the cost of going for so little racing.

I love SX but the powers that be are doing their best to completely ruin the experience either live or on TV.

They honestly had at one point a four year old girl sing the alphabet song and then the stadium do "the wave" just to kill time. It was ridiculous.

The 450 main saved the night.
Acidreamer
Posts
1793
Joined
8/25/2015
Location
Mansfield, OH, USA
1/7/2018 9:48am
i preferred the new format. I dont really give 2 shits about semi races. I like to see the top guys race. Semis used to be nap time. fr.
drt410
Posts
2075
Joined
3/18/2017
Location
Boston, MA, USA
1/7/2018 9:50am
Yea the faster they get to the mains the better for me.

The Shop

BMSOBx2
Posts
2087
Joined
2/18/2017
Location
Antioch, CA, USA
1/7/2018 9:58am
GTCD15317 wrote:
When bikes were on track last night the racing was great, but to me, the loss of semi's equaled less racing and more B.S television fill...
When bikes were on track last night the racing was great, but to me, the loss of semi's equaled less racing and more B.S television fill. Made for a very boring televison viewing experience.
Agree. The FS1 feed was almost unwatchable. With all the commercials and filler was very boring. From now on I'll record the race and watch it later so I can fast-forward through all the BS.
lando356
Posts
127
Joined
1/1/2009
Location
Bridgewater, NY, USA
1/7/2018 10:04am
GTCD15317 wrote:
When bikes were on track last night the racing was great, but to me, the loss of semi's equaled less racing and more B.S television fill...
When bikes were on track last night the racing was great, but to me, the loss of semi's equaled less racing and more B.S television fill. Made for a very boring televison viewing experience.
I agree also....
deluxeman
Posts
787
Joined
6/27/2016
Location
Saranac, MI, USA
1/7/2018 10:05am
It did seem like the whole show was a bore. It is good Roczen was back so they had something to fill the gaps. I understand that they want to streamline the program. But like most things these days they have to dumb it down for the casual fan. That is the price we have to pay to tru and grow the fan base.

After the novelty of Roczen wears off they are going to have to drag JS7 out of retirement to have some new filler.
dimetime
Posts
639
Joined
5/27/2017
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
1/7/2018 10:10am
Semi's were lame.
Regardless l'd still rather watch racing at the stadium.

Still wayyyy better than two dudes load crap in a truck and little girls singing.

Also, the commercials are bad enough on TV but l sure as hell didn't pay good money to watch them over and over at the stadium.
Knobbyjake
Posts
806
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
West Middlesex, PA, USA
1/7/2018 10:12am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2018 10:15am
Whole program was lame, so much fluff and filler. I don't like waiting but it's so much better recording it and fast forwarding through the garbage. Plus after the first few laps the racing is done. It's a parade to the finish unless it's an exception.
abn166
Posts
516
Joined
11/26/2006
Location
Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
1/7/2018 10:13am
Semi's were lame.
Not having them is even lamer. Less racing for your money if you are buying tickets.
Jroc
Posts
204
Joined
8/30/2013
Location
CA
1/7/2018 10:15am
I like this format but I thought the 450 heats were supposed to be longer.
dadofagun
Posts
2057
Joined
3/28/2015
Location
Satan's Hollow, OK, USA
Fantasy
1/7/2018 10:15am
New format is lame.....
RbR
Posts
1086
Joined
12/9/2011
Location
Saint Paul, MN, USA
1/7/2018 10:20am
The new format diminishes the relevancy of the slower riders who normally battle through the semis to get to the main. Less media attention, less airtime, fewer podium appearances, fewer reasons for sponsorships.
KennyT
Posts
4413
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Vista, CA, USA
Fantasy
1/7/2018 10:28am
3 hour time a lot for SX doesn’t work. It would be like showing scrimmages and workouts before a NFL game, batting practice before baseball etc. SX should be a 1 hour program with the only races that count, the 2 mains
yz133rider
Posts
5027
Joined
8/1/2013
Location
Avondale, PA, USA
1/7/2018 10:50am
Heats and semis are just qualifying. Why they dont go to a 2 or 3 moto format baffles me. Do the qualifying during day. Night show and live tv is the motos. Just like outdoors. No need for fillers
1/7/2018 10:55am
Acidreamer wrote:
i preferred the new format. I dont really give 2 shits about semi races. I like to see the top guys race. Semis used to be...
i preferred the new format. I dont really give 2 shits about semi races. I like to see the top guys race. Semis used to be nap time. fr.
Agree from you on not giving 2 shits about the semi. But, it does give the "top guys" another chance to make the main. Fall in a heat race and a bad start in LCQ and you're done for the night. They should guarantee the top 3 in points (or qualifying for A1) a last gate pick in the main.
colintrax
Posts
4695
Joined
8/25/2015
Location
Taylorsville, GA, USA
1/7/2018 11:10am
Glad the semis are gone but track prep really needs to be shortened.
Design the tracks to bring down speed and it'll be OK to let the tracks get rough.
dirtdog36
Posts
426
Joined
8/6/2010
Location
Nashville, TN, USA
1/7/2018 11:20am
Semi's are lame. Always have been always will be
philG
Posts
11219
Joined
5/12/2012
Location
GB
1/7/2018 11:26am
Semi's were lame.
abn166 wrote:
Not having them is even lamer. Less racing for your money if you are buying tickets.
I had to laugh when they put a ticker on the side of the screen saying '15mins till Dungey' and then '35 mins to Roczen Story'... what kind of TV is that FFS... it BLOWS.

And Julianna Daniel, please , just please stop. I dont care , about social media, nobody does.

And the logic behind dropping the semi's .. guys will race hard to make it straight to the main, now guys will go back to cruising round rather than risk having to go to the LCQ.. field isnt deep enough .

I dread to think what the fill ins will be like... #makeuptomud.. WTF was that .

And while i am on one , WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A CARTOON CAT EXPLAINING THE POINTS..... WE DO NOT HAVE A TARGET AUDIENCE OF PRE-SCHOOLERS.

Diabolical .. utter shite for prime time saturday night, and even worse if you are watching live in the UK at 3am.
malachi177
Posts
2281
Joined
12/18/2010
Location
B.C., BC, CA
1/7/2018 11:30am
Have a 125 class,Supermini class, the 50cc class or something to fill in some of the time. A buddy and I purchased the stream on SXlive so it's not the FS1 broadcast. The zero commercials was ok, but the silent view of the track and everything was awkward. Lots of silence...almost better to have commercials.
Ing
Posts
3654
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Spring Hill, FL, USA
1/7/2018 11:34am
I was excited to go to the Tampa SX after not having it for years. Now, I don't think I'll even go. Just DVR it on TV and watch the mains. Isn't that what Feld is trying to get to? From a 3 1/2hr. time slot to a 3hr. time slot with a lot less racing. Kind of counterproductive IMO.
rikhek
Posts
328
Joined
2/26/2012
Location
Tulsa, OK, USA
1/7/2018 11:39am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2018 11:43am
I can't believe anybody watches it live. Human interest stories, pre and post race interviews and commercials are unbearable. I always record and press FF a lot. You can watch in a fraction of the time just forwarding to gate drops.

FWIW, I don't watch ANYTHING that's not recorded.
mauidex
Posts
2069
Joined
9/12/2011
Location
Haiku, HI, USA
1/7/2018 11:42am
Yeah I gotta say the tv broadcast is getting worse and wise every year. Waaayyy too much fluff and fill and seems like more commercials than normal but at least it is in live most of the time!!??
TDeath21
Posts
6515
Joined
2/22/2011
Location
Somewhere, MO, USA
1/7/2018 11:43am
I’m personally not a fan of the semi races. They didn’t produce good racing. But I loved having them for one huge reason. That battle for 4th in the heats would always involve two really good riders and made that racing a ton better.
Kruse317
Posts
198
Joined
5/14/2012
Location
Fox Island, WA, USA
1/7/2018 11:45am
I preferred the new format. Seemed like guys put more effort into the heat races. With the semis most of the time it just made the heats and semis too laid back and boring. Having less opportunities for error if you want to make the main is more fun to watch! I would prefer the heats to be a little longer though and maybe try to add some incentives to winning the heats.
yak651
Posts
9073
Joined
8/26/2006
Location
Appleton, WI, USA
Fantasy
1/7/2018 11:47am
Just shorten the show instead of the filler. That or add a 125 race.

chump6784
Posts
1776
Joined
5/9/2011
Location
AU
1/7/2018 12:03pm
I signed up to our local cable provider through their online deal and received the first month free just for sx. I think i will cancel after the first month and just wait for the YouTube videos. There was more commercial time than race time
1/7/2018 12:05pm
This thread is pretty telling about the SX/MX community/industry as a whole. But more importantly, it speaks a lot about the entertainment value of SX. I personally love watching all the races, from the heats, semi's, LCQs, and mains. To me, the more races, the better. I also watch the SXlive program to watch qualifying. When I go to the races in PHX, I watch all of the qualifying sessions. Shoot, I like to go watch local races. But I realize, I'm not the average fan. That said, I would go a step farther and say that anybody that rides a dirt bike, is signed up on VitalMX, and actively posts on an internet message board is not the average casual fan either. Considering the amount of posters on this board that don't like the heats/semi's/LCQs before the mains, it concerns me regarding the entertainment value for people like my wife and daughter who don't give 2 shits about racing other than the slight cool factor of it all to them.

How do we grow the sport when half of the die hard fans don't even want to watch the earlier races in the program? I love it, but I see that others don't. I want more racing, less filler. But as many have posted here, they don't. And when some of the die-hards don't, that's a problem.

Post a reply to: New Format

The Latest