Helmet time

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2018 3:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2018 3:55 PM

Took a digger at budds this weekend, helmet was already old (6 years), but it's certainly time now. As of right now, it's between the new shoei, 6d atr2, or bell carbon flex. Money is not an issue here, I'm more interested in weight and quality. Any opinions on the ufo diamond Helmet? I've always loved the fit of my shoei or the arai, but they just seem heavy after holding a buddy's O'Neal helmet.

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/2018-helmet-buyers-guide/

|

5/28/2018 3:58 PM

Love the Bell Carbon Flex. Try on everything and get whichever fits your head best.

|

5/28/2018 4:02 PM

Bell Carbon Flex....inexpensive fresh liners a bonus

|

2019 KTM 350 XCF
Single Track Warrior

5/28/2018 4:20 PM

Best fitting...

|

5/28/2018 4:57 PM

Photo
Love my 6D. It feels a lot lighter than my old Arai.
|

5/28/2018 5:03 PM

I’ve only worn bells but tried on shoeis and a 6d. My order would be bell, shoei then 6d. That’s just comfort on my head though.

|

5/28/2018 5:36 PM

I have v3. TLD. Bell moto 6. 6D. Shoei vfx.
I just bought an arai. Fucking love it. best helmet I've ever worn.

|

5/28/2018 5:53 PM

Im not sure you can beat the quality of a shoei.

|

5/28/2018 6:29 PM

If you can wait a little bit the new Alpinestars helmet will be half a pound lighter than the 6d or bell flex carbon.

|

5/28/2018 6:33 PM

Coming from a Shoei I just picked up a 6D ATR2, I really like it! I did have to buy the thinner cheek pads due to some recent weight gain (enjoying too much beer) that created some serious chipmunk cheeks!

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

5/28/2018 6:36 PM

I've had a few bell helmets but I really like my tld se4 but just my 2cents.

|

5/28/2018 8:52 PM

Bell flex, only way to go.

|

5/28/2018 10:30 PM

Most all the helmets listed above are good and fit differently. Get the one that fits your head the best.

|

5/28/2018 11:15 PM

A fucking O’Neal helmet?! Don’t compare

|

5/28/2018 11:35 PM

Have had Fox, airoh and bell. Tought the airoh was the best helmet for my head and then I tried the bell moto 9 flex. If I ever buy a dirtbike helmet again it's a bell.

Saved me from a huuuge crash where I landed on my head from a medium sized tabletop jump also, no one in the pits tought I would be standing up, yet somehow I got up with only a fractured wrist and no concussion, it was my biggest get off ever, and I've had a few ermm

|

5/28/2018 11:46 PM

mwssquad827 wrote:

A fucking O’Neal helmet?! Don’t compare

??? this here. was thinking the same shit... lists off a bunch of nice helmets & then throws the O'Neal out there & I thought the last half of the bottle must've just struck lol

|

5/29/2018 12:01 AM

rossi46 wrote:

I have v3. TLD. Bell moto 6. 6D. Shoei vfx.
I just bought an arai. Fucking love it. best helmet I've ever worn.

X2

|

5/29/2018 3:51 AM

Love my 6D ATR 1 carbon. Planning on buying an ATR 2. Also have a TLD SE4. I like it but prefer my 6D.

|

5/29/2018 3:57 AM

Love my moto 9 carbon. Came off a shoei vfx-w, it’s quite a bit smaller on your head, took a few rides to get used to, but i think I’d have a hard time going back now.

|

RPM Performance
CT

5/29/2018 4:13 AM

murph783 wrote:

Love my moto 9 carbon. Came off a shoei vfx-w, it’s quite a bit smaller on your head, took a few rides to get used to, but i ...more

Thanks. I had a bell a long time ago and I thought it was a tight fit, maybe that's just the way they are sized

|

5/29/2018 4:23 AM

Spooner wrote:

If you can wait a little bit the new Alpinestars helmet will be half a pound lighter than the 6d or bell flex carbon.

Good looking helmet, has all the features and low v weight. I can't wait till September though.

|

5/29/2018 4:26 AM

Spooner wrote:

jtiger12 wrote:

Good looking helmet, has all the features and low v weight. I can't wait till September though.

They start shipping the end of July if that makes any difference.

|

5/29/2018 4:34 AM

Spooner wrote:

You work in a cycle shop? All the info I have seen online quotes Sep as the availability date. If you have details you can share, please do.

|

5/29/2018 4:41 AM

Shoei or Bell would make the job done. But the 6D is also top quality. Try them on and decide

|

4JG96

5/29/2018 4:50 AM

I’m a Shoie Guy. Have been for the last 18 years. Photo

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

5/29/2018 4:57 AM

jtiger12 wrote:

Spooner wrote:

jtiger12 wrote:

You work in a cycle shop? All the info I have seen online quotes Sep as the availability date. If you have details you can ...more

I work for Parts Unlimited, the distributor for them. Your local shops can pre-order them now and will start getting them at the end of July.

|

5/29/2018 5:11 AM

Spooner wrote:

I work for Parts Unlimited, the distributor for them. Your local shops can pre-order them now and will start getting them at ...more

Thanks. I'll stop in this week.

|

5/29/2018 5:15 AM

These are the 4 you should look at:

The new Shoei (not the old)
6D ATR-2
Bell Moto 9 FLEX
The new Alpinestars helmet

Get the one that fits you the best.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

5/29/2018 5:29 AM

murph783 wrote:

Love my moto 9 carbon. Came off a shoei vfx-w, it’s quite a bit smaller on your head, took a few rides to get used to, but i ...more

jtiger12 wrote:

Thanks. I had a bell a long time ago and I thought it was a tight fit, maybe that's just the way they are sized

my 9 flex felt a tad on the tight side as well but id rather error on that side than it being loose. plus once I was out in the track I never noticed it. I think any of the top four already mentioned will be good. if you can try them all on that is gonna be your best bet. if you decide on the bell I can help you out a bit.

|

5/29/2018 6:41 AM

I ordered a 6d ATR-2. It arrived and I tried it on, the fit was spot on and the quality is evident and very high. A lot of thought was put into this lid however it sat on my desk for a couple of weeks before I finally gave it a shot.

It's physically larger than most, and I never liked the large (egg head) look of the ATR-1, however the 2 is a design I can live with and they offer many colors and designs.

It's an awesome helmet, very light with a large opening for goggles and good ventilation. You're paying for what you can't see with this lid and hope to never have to test but the features are there and based on the R and D they are the best and latest tech for head protection.

I've had it out for quite a few times now, switched back to the old helmet and then back to the 6d. The 6d is a keeper, I've always been an Arai owner however the 6d is a worthy replacement.

IMO Arai is in line for a re tooling, they have been mailing it in for a while.

|