Getting a Title

I live in Texas. I purchased a bike for my husband that is from Oklahoma. The guy gave me a Bill of Sale, but had no title. How do I get the title transferred into my name??
|
drt410
1/4/2019 10:13pm
Gun b a b-yatch
ledger
1/4/2019 10:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/4/2019 10:41pm
You should be ok with just the Bill Of Sale
1/4/2019 10:43pm
I read several posts that said many many bikes from Oklahoma had no title or were never even registered. Can't I just take the bill of sale to my local tax office and apply for a title?
Racer142
1/4/2019 10:46pm
Most states don't offer one. And if your state does you will most likely need a certificate of origin to get it but if it's a race bike I can't imagine why you need one unless it's just for piece of mind.

The Shop

yz133rider
1/5/2019 12:17am
If u only ride at tracks and legal areas a title isnt too important.

Enter the vin into nicb.org make sure isnt stolen.
mwr
1/5/2019 12:36am
Just do as you said, take it to the tax office and let them tell you if you need to do anything, and if so, what.
lumpy790
1/5/2019 3:42am
See if they have the certificate of origin.
Fonzarelli
1/5/2019 5:15am
I had to do this in Michigan on a bike from West Virginia. I had to have the police run a check on the VIN and give me a form stating it wasn't stolen, I also had to buy a surety bond which was about $100. It also took about 6 visits to the Secretary of State (DMV) because most people there didn't know what they were doing. You should start with them and get the procedure in your state. You are also going to need some Tylenol, the whole thing will be a huge headache.
VetMX.com
1/5/2019 6:10am
You don't need one in Texas and if you go to title it you will have to pay 8.25% tax on it. The receipt is all you need to prove ownership or the MSO given by the dealer.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3906th
1/5/2019 7:27am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 7:35am
She asked a simple question if you don’t know the answer why don’t you STFU instead of telling her she doesn’t need one blah blah blah. Any god damn wheelie boy could right you a bill of sale. Anyone with a brain prefers having a title.
1/5/2019 7:36am
TogaSet wrote:
She asked a simple question if you don’t know the answer why don’t you STFU instead of telling her she doesn’t need one blah blah blah...
She asked a simple question if you don’t know the answer why don’t you STFU instead of telling her she doesn’t need one blah blah blah. Any god damn wheelie boy could right you a bill of sale. Anyone with a brain prefers having a title.
They are trying to help. You aren't.
1/5/2019 7:39am
TogaSet wrote:
She asked a simple question if you don’t know the answer why don’t you STFU instead of telling her she doesn’t need one blah blah blah...
Dang dude. Were your corn flakes soggy and/or stale this morning. I think she got some great answers from the guys above. Plenty enough to work with.
kage173
1/5/2019 7:40am
TogaSet wrote:
They actually are giving the best advice. You really don't need a title for an off road motorcycle in Texas. The hassle wont be worth it.
MudPup545
1/5/2019 7:57am
TogaSet wrote:
And yet you offered zero advice. ? Some help you are.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
1/5/2019 8:09am
TogaSet wrote:
You sound pissed, are your initials BT by chance?
barnett468
1/5/2019 8:14am
I live in Texas. I purchased a bike for my husband that is from Oklahoma. The guy gave me a Bill of Sale, but had no...
I live in Texas. I purchased a bike for my husband that is from Oklahoma. The guy gave me a Bill of Sale, but had no title. How do I get the title transferred into my name??
If it is older then either 2003 or 2004, and you can't get a title in texas for whatever reason, you can get one from vermont that you can convert to a texas one if you want. You may also be able to get one from Alabama if you know anyoneone there that can go to the dmv or courthouse for you.

dmoore611
1/5/2019 8:23am
Not sure if this will help since I’m in California but here’s my experience. I traded my 450f for a 250f with a guy in Nevada, and Nevada doesn’t issue titles. So I asked the guy to write up a bill of sale to document our transaction. All I had to do was go to the DMV and fill out a form, pay a little money, and a title was issued. My original plan was to not register the bike, until I tried to go to Hangtown and was denied access to the track. After completely losing my shit the rangers at Prarie City informed me that transporting an unregistered bike in the back of a truck is illegal. Had my bike been in an enclosed trailer that was properly registered I’d be fine. Totally bummed me out and ruined mine and my 2 friends day of riding. So I was forced to register my bike.

Sorry for getting slightly off track here but I learned it’s better to register a bike because it can potentially ruin a day of riding should you choose not to.
racerx217
1/5/2019 8:24am
Good luck, dont ever buy a bike without a title. Unless its older than 1991 in Michigan. Every state is different. Be careful taking the vin to the DMV, if there is a lein on it they will notify the bank who has it.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3906th
1/5/2019 8:27am
She didn’t ask if she needs a title. She asked how to get one.
VetMX.com
1/5/2019 8:45am
TogaSet wrote:
I have actually bought several new bikes from OK and I live in TX and have been through this so I actually do know what I am talking about.

>>>>"right you a bill of sale"<<<<<(SIC)

That is funny right there though, no matter who you are.

>>>>"She didn’t ask if she needs a title. She asked how to get one. "<<<<<

No. She asked "How do I get THE TITLE transferred into my name??"

She just stated she didn't have A title. In TX no title is required for a dirt bike. Period.

GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
1/5/2019 9:19am
TogaSet wrote:
She didn’t ask if she needs a title. She asked how to get one.
She also didn't ask how it works in Arizona. Some people that are wiser and more evenly tempered than you are giving her advice that will save her hundreds of dollars in taxes. Acquiring a title in Texas is complicated and expensive, and completely unnecessary.
kage173
1/5/2019 9:29am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 9:32am
dmoore611 wrote:
Not sure if this will help since I’m in California but here’s my experience. I traded my 450f for a 250f with a guy in Nevada...
Not sure if this will help since I’m in California but here’s my experience. I traded my 450f for a 250f with a guy in Nevada, and Nevada doesn’t issue titles. So I asked the guy to write up a bill of sale to document our transaction. All I had to do was go to the DMV and fill out a form, pay a little money, and a title was issued. My original plan was to not register the bike, until I tried to go to Hangtown and was denied access to the track. After completely losing my shit the rangers at Prarie City informed me that transporting an unregistered bike in the back of a truck is illegal. Had my bike been in an enclosed trailer that was properly registered I’d be fine. Totally bummed me out and ruined mine and my 2 friends day of riding. So I was forced to register my bike.

Sorry for getting slightly off track here but I learned it’s better to register a bike because it can potentially ruin a day of riding should you choose not to.
It's very different in Texas. Nobody cares. I've never once needed a title for anything off-road related. I've ridden on federal land, state land, and private tracks. It's just not needed.
dmoore611
1/5/2019 10:16am
kage173 wrote:
It's very different in Texas. Nobody cares. I've never once needed a title for anything off-road related. I've ridden on federal land, state land, and private...
It's very different in Texas. Nobody cares. I've never once needed a title for anything off-road related. I've ridden on federal land, state land, and private tracks. It's just not needed.
That’s awesome! Nevada is like that. I’m born and raised in CA and swore I’d never leave - I can’t wait to get the hell out of here now. CA seems to want to tell me how to do everything. I may be a little extreme but that’s how it feels. Not to mention cost of living here AND our crazy fire seasons. Sheesh ...

I just wanted to say how easy obtaining a title was here so if it was required there then it should be easy too. With what you’re saying it’s a moot point anyway.

On a side note: I need to plan a Texas ride trip. Friend and I have been threatening to do it for years.
jtetchila1
1/6/2019 8:49am
TogaSet wrote:
*write
barnett468
1/6/2019 9:01am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 9:01am
dmoore611 wrote:
That’s awesome! Nevada is like that. I’m born and raised in CA and swore I’d never leave - I can’t wait to get the hell out...
That’s awesome! Nevada is like that. I’m born and raised in CA and swore I’d never leave - I can’t wait to get the hell out of here now. CA seems to want to tell me how to do everything. I may be a little extreme but that’s how it feels. Not to mention cost of living here AND our crazy fire seasons. Sheesh ...

I just wanted to say how easy obtaining a title was here so if it was required there then it should be easy too. With what you’re saying it’s a moot point anyway.

On a side note: I need to plan a Texas ride trip. Friend and I have been threatening to do it for years.
"I’m born and raised in CA and swore I’d never leave - I can’t wait to get the hell out of here now. CA seems to want to tell me how to do everything. I may be a little extreme but that’s how it feels. Not to mention cost of living here AND our crazy fire seasons. Sheesh ..."

You are not extreme in the least, and your opinion is shared by thousands of people and business here, many of which have in fact left here. We have one of the most corrupt governments in the US, and the DMV here is nothing more than a revenue generating branch for the government.

Joko
Fantasy
190th
1/6/2019 11:54am
racerx217 wrote:
Good luck, dont ever buy a bike without a title. Unless its older than 1991 in Michigan. Every state is different. Be careful taking the vin...
Good luck, dont ever buy a bike without a title. Unless its older than 1991 in Michigan. Every state is different. Be careful taking the vin to the DMV, if there is a lein on it they will notify the bank who has it.
I've been trying to get my certificate of origin on my YZ250F from Yamaha/Capital One after paying it off for over a year now, sent faxes, mail but no reply. Would like to sell the bike now, and would like to offer the Cert to the new buyer. Maybe I'll just go to CT DMV and get a title?
dcg141
1/6/2019 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 12:49pm
Some states will do lost title apps. MSO's in a title state will only get a title for the original owner. Dealerships can transfer MSO's but only the original buyer can get a title with one. Most MX buyers don't care about titles but most off road guys do. The variation between states is confusing but very real. Some states charge sales tax on sales from individuals and some don't. My advise to anyone that buys a new bike instate and pays sales tax is you should go to the trouble of getting a title. Usually its a small title fee and when you go to trade or resell it just makes things easier.
dcg141
1/6/2019 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 12:20pm
BTW here is a website that I have found to be pretty accurate with dmv info on dirtbikes. dmv,org
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
1/6/2019 12:35pm
it seems insane to me that people never obtain titles for there bikes. how do you actually prove you legally own the bike if you don't have the title in your name? esp if you are buying the bike used. if the title is still in another persons name you don't legally own it.

Post a reply to: Getting a Title

The Latest