Foods and supplements to eat on ride/race days

Related:
Create New Tag

12/7/2020 2:58 PM

I've been riding and racing for 17 years now, and have tried all sorts of foods and supplements over the years to give me fuel and energy on race days. Some have helped, some have been detrimental!

What do you guys eat on a typical race day?

Any good energy bars, drinks, snacks that have really helped you to keep energised and focused all day on the bike?

|

UK Vet rider - 2020 KX450

12/7/2020 3:16 PM

I really like the Ryno Power hydration fuel. I like to snack on race days rather than having a meal. I like things like fruits, nuts, smoothies.

|

12/7/2020 3:20 PM

Keep a food log for a couple days / weeks. Write down how you feel each day and see if you can draw any conclusions to the days you feel good. How you eat sleep and hydrate leading up to race day is probably more important then the race day itself

|

12/7/2020 3:58 PM

Hammer Nutrition

|

12/7/2020 4:01 PM

Split time baby!

|

Motorcycles have been keeping me smiling for 19 years and counting!

The Chap - My YouTube channel. Trying to share the stoke!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqTZ4lNA_xYv6N2DS4L1Now

12/7/2020 4:04 PM

Can’t eat anything before or during riding. So in the morning I drink a Boost as a meal replacement, then drink ARMA throughout the day. Depending on weather I also pop a few Ryno Power electrolyte pills throughout the day. ARMA Training Complex is awesome, and Fire is good if you like caffeine.

|

Rent free...

12/7/2020 4:15 PM

Couple coors lights, Marlboro reds and some beef jerky😂😂

|

12/7/2020 4:34 PM

mwssquad827 wrote:

Sorry for you youngsters that is
Couple white claws, couple rips from the vape and some soy jerky😂😂

|

12/7/2020 4:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2020 4:38 PM

Lets see...

Cookies, Chips, Water

And peanut M&Ms !

|

12/7/2020 4:38 PM

Carbs, lot's of carbs.

|

Lover. Fighter. Wild Bull Rider.

12/7/2020 4:50 PM

For 2 hour off-road races- peanut butter and banana on wheat bread, yogurt, a small Gatorade 30 min before race. I need a lot of calories

|

12/7/2020 4:50 PM

I’ll drink a protein shake with banana, peanut butter and some granola in it on my one hour drive to the track. I’ll chug a coconut water about 20minutes before practice and chug another coconut water after the first moto. That keeps all the cramps away especially late in the day. Bananas, jerky, nuts throughout the day. Eat a good size dinner after riding and on the way home.

|

12/7/2020 4:59 PM

Grapes, bananas, oranges. English muffins with peanut butter for breakfast.

|

12/7/2020 5:01 PM

Race day food is PBnJs, bananas and water. I mix the water Pedialyte on hot days. PBnJ on wheat is the best race day fuel you can get.

For sustainable energy, I will have a packet of GU before I ride, energy drinks and bars are full of fillers and sugar and are trash.

|

12/8/2020 10:16 AM

I get a double order of scrambled eggs and bacon, from the track chow stand. Though out the day it,s cheeseburgers or bratwurst. I snack on KitKat candy bars, hidden in a cooler. 2 days prior to a race, I eat a medium rare steak. I,ve done the pasta only deal. Or not eating much all day at the race, is the worst. You get down to 162 lbs and feel weak.

|

12/8/2020 10:37 AM

Hard to beat Ryno Power hydration fuel for between motos. It has electrolytes but also some carbohydrates. When you don't have much time to get calories down, it's great, because you digest it quickly.

I usually start the day with a real breakfast, eggs, bacon, toast, avocado. Protein smoothie on the way to the track with banana, peanut butter, chocolate protein, milk. Ryno Power hydration fuel while riding. Whey Protein right after, maybe a good bar on the way home. Normal dinner.

|

12/8/2020 10:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2020 10:42 AM

Biggest thing I took that made of a difference was Ryno Power hydration fuel mixed with liquid carbs. The liquid carbs is super beneficial on hot days when you don’t want to eat. Provides lots of sustainable energy.

|

12/8/2020 11:47 AM

Brawndo. It's got electrolytes!

Actually, I'm looking for some better nutrition tips as well. Keep 'em coming.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

12/8/2020 12:22 PM

mwssquad827 wrote:

Don't forget to sneak a fat chaw in there somewhere.......

|

12/8/2020 12:30 PM

Usually a load of absolute shite from a garage on the way to the track. Got to be able to blame my awful riding on something.

|

12/8/2020 12:42 PM

Big mac and bang energy

|

12/8/2020 12:50 PM

Who is old enough to remember.....?

Photo

|

12/8/2020 1:35 PM

For breakfast, I eat about the same as I do most mornings. Only difference is I hydrate decently night before, morning of and throughout the day.

4-6 eggs over easy, lightly peppered

One potato grated, packed together and squeeze out the water, run both sides decently with salt/pepper/garlic

5-7 sausage links.

Washed down with REAL veggie juice.

Rarely eat during the day, just hydrate. Then something carb, fat and vitamin heavy for dinner.
👍👍👍 Photo

|

12/8/2020 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2020 6:13 PM

Water and a light breakfast or bagel and peanutbutter or some fruit. Snack on some steak or chicken pieces. 3 dade city track burgers minimum after races or nothing. lol I kept a gallon of 2% milk my cooler and always pounded it after moto's. It was like life in a jug I thought from when I was a kid to about 40 but its been 2 years since I had any. I had to try quitting for some health issues awhile back and ever since then when I drink it I feel sick and crazy bloated and tried so many varieties and always felt ill so I gave it up for good. I'm pretty bummed that I ever quit it still but it fueled me for many motos. lol

|

I don't have to be as smart as you hope to be some day anymore. wink

12/8/2020 2:35 PM

FLmxer wrote:

Water and a light breakfast or bagel and peanutbutter or some fruit. Snack on some steak or chicken pieces. 3 dade city track burgers minimum after races or nothing. lol I kept a gallon of 2% milk my cooler and always pounded it after moto's. It was like life in a jug I thought from when I was a kid to about 40 but its been 2 years since I had any. I had to try quitting for some health issues awhile back and ever since then when I drink it I feel sick and crazy bloated and tried so many varieties and always felt ill so I gave it up for good. I'm pretty bummed that I ever quit it still but it fueled me for many motos. lol

That kind of reminds me of my old man.

He would run staging at my race events and when it was hot he would chug cold buttermilk all day.

He talked me into taking a cup one day in July and I puked it up in no time.

15 years later and i still get nauseous just thinking about that nasty crap.

|

12/9/2020 6:52 AM

Yeti831 wrote:

For breakfast, I eat about the same as I do most mornings. Only difference is I hydrate decently night before, morning of and throughout the day.

4-6 eggs over easy, lightly peppered

One potato grated, packed together and squeeze out the water, run both sides decently with salt/pepper/garlic

5-7 sausage links.

Washed down with REAL veggie juice.

Rarely eat during the day, just hydrate. Then something carb, fat and vitamin heavy for dinner.
👍👍👍 Photo

Looks delicious, but i would shit my pants mid-moto if i ate that much before riding! silly

|

12/9/2020 7:22 AM

I race off-road and like to consume 100 calories per hour before a moto. So I eat a 400 calorie breakfast 4 hours before my first gate drop. Consisting Of 3 eggs, banana, yogurt and/or a protein shake.

On the way to the track I consume 24oz of water with 2 servings of BCAA’s.

Between motos I have 2 hours so I’ll consume a 200 calorie protein bar and a banana along with hydrating.

Your body can only process X amount of calories per hour so consuming any more than around 100 calories per hour before will leave you with excess food in your stomach that hasn’t been converted to energy yet. My stomach during a race doesn’t like that.

That’s my race day ritual! Along with maintaining a healthy diet and steady workout routine year round. No soda, limited alcohol. And no alcohol before a race day.

|

12/9/2020 7:49 AM

Any benefits from diet/food have to be implemented a long time before Raceday

|

12/9/2020 8:02 AM

PB&J Ams a cliff bar. Mostly for convenience lol

|

12/9/2020 10:43 AM

Motox627! wrote:

Looks delicious, but i would shit my pants mid-moto if i ate that much before riding! silly

I discovered early on that my stomach does not agree with me eating a light breakfast and snacking on granola/fruit throughout the day.

If I eat heavy before and after, not during, and heavily hydrate then I feel like a million bucks and recover faster.

I’m a tall, skinny fuck with psychotic metabolism so I’m definitely different than most others 😂 I used to just do a massive breakfast sandwich but I’ve been cutting down on sugar so not as much bread in my diet anymore.

If it’s a hot day, I’ll still snack on grapes and apples throughout the day 👍

|