Electronic/Dynamic suspension

kiwifan
Edited Date/Time 1/11/2020 10:20pm
Honda Patent

Hmmm...not sure if this will work on a SX/MX bike, what if the sensors dont work when covered in mud or they fail, does that then stuff up the suspension? I am sure these things will be thought of... if indeed they made the production line.

What do you guys think....is this the way of the future?
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
1/8/2020 10:42pm
I’m surprised they don’t have GPS adjusted suspension already, you get to the whoop section and the forks stiffen, come to a corner and they soften. Altitude dropping too soon on Laroccos Leap to make the down side, way stiffer.
kiwifan
1/8/2020 10:59pm
I’m surprised they don’t have GPS adjusted suspension already, you get to the whoop section and the forks stiffen, come to a corner and they soften...
I’m surprised they don’t have GPS adjusted suspension already, you get to the whoop section and the forks stiffen, come to a corner and they soften. Altitude dropping too soon on Laroccos Leap to make the down side, way stiffer.
Yup, reading the patent info it seems this is what they do.. they read the track ahead, how much travel is being used and adjust accordingly...
moto9
1/8/2020 11:30pm
Fox already has an electronic shock called "live valve" with sensors that can sense an impact and react in .003 seconds.
You can get it for certain mountain bikes.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
1/8/2020 11:33pm
kiwifan wrote:
[url=https://www.rideapart.com/articles/372656/honda-bringing-dynamic-suspension-to-offroad-motorcycles/]Honda Patent[/url] Hmmm...not sure if this will work on a SX/MX bike, what if the sensors dont work when covered in mud or they fail, does...
Honda Patent

Hmmm...not sure if this will work on a SX/MX bike, what if the sensors dont work when covered in mud or they fail, does that then stuff up the suspension? I am sure these things will be thought of... if indeed they made the production line.

Is this the way of the future? I hope not. Bikes are expensive enough and it would be shit seeing things head in the direction of F1.

The Shop

Lastander
1/9/2020 12:07am
I’m surprised they don’t have GPS adjusted suspension already, you get to the whoop section and the forks stiffen, come to a corner and they soften...
Said this many times, Öhlins has had this tested in the early 2000’s but its not legal.
ktm300xcw2018
Fantasy
462nd
1/9/2020 12:30am
They have these on Polaris RZR XPs as an option. Fox manufacturers them. I have not personally driven one but people seem to really like them. Each corner of the machine can handle its terrain independently. But, its also about a $3k option.
1/9/2020 12:46am
Why would it not be legal in the 450 cc class? Under AMA rules, section 3.9 suspension, there are no restrictions outside of following the single shock concept of the stock bike and under section 3.16 Telemetry and Traction control, excludes non stock electronic devices for traction control, or braking systems, but does not mention suspension systems. Also, the electronic info would be transmitted to or from the bike to an external receiver, but would be processed solely through the bikes internal electronic systems.

Bjorn645
Fantasy
1022nd
1/9/2020 1:17am
I have thought of this as well - I think the issue with using the adjustable travel on mx bikes is that the reason it's used in bicycles is that it allows more power to be transferred into forward motion rather than suspension sagging from the human. In our sport a lack of power is not an issue at all - comfort is most important and max travel being available is paramount due to kickers, weird ruts, hooks in berms etc where you cant really predict what you may or may not hit and you want the suspension helping as much as possible in these circumstances.
Sir
1/9/2020 1:28am
If motocross bikes were fitted with Bose's electromagnetic system motocross and supercross would end as we currently know it.

greg570
1/9/2020 2:55am
What about quickshifter/blipper? Simple design...highly effective...
spimx
1/9/2020 8:24pm
greg570 wrote:
What about quickshifter/blipper? Simple design...highly effective...
I will never buy another sport bike without a quickshifter/blipper.

I LOVE ELECTRONIC QUICK SHIFT / AUTO BLIPPER
gsxr6
1/9/2020 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2020 9:02pm
On the rzr, the suspension goes full stiff as soon as the shock senses its at full rebound( so whenever the thing goes airborne) and then begins adjusting based on what the speed sensors see after the compression( landing) event begins. It will work, and quite well with an mx bike. Because it preserves travel at the right moments, and can adjust imperceptibly quickly after. Tuning the stuff will be where the real black magic is, your suspension guy might be needed to learn how to write computer code . The engine guys can teach them haha. In the end it will make repeatable results more quantifiable than shim type suspension ever could. Meaning good results will be easily repeated, and the systems can probably adjust for wear somewhat, as it's all based on a speed sensor. Wicked cool
Xeno
1/9/2020 9:01pm
It’s not legal in AMA pro racing.
gsxr6
1/9/2020 9:08pm
Xeno wrote:
It’s not legal in AMA pro racing.
Things change. At one point there was no weight limit either. The fuel used to be leaded, heck guys didn't even point out of 250sx back in the day. Traction control was considered illegal, it can be done with savvy ecu tuning now, no need for it to be wheel speed sensor based as the rule is written. Speed sensitive forks are just a mechanical version of said tech lol
1/9/2020 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2020 9:24pm
Man i'd be happy even if the technology advancement stopped at being able to adjust your fork and shock clickers via a handlebar mounted switch that will allow for push button clicker changes. Why the heck do we still need a screwdriver in 2020 to increase slow speed compression damping or rebound damping on a shock?
gsxr6
1/9/2020 9:25pm
Magnetic damping fluid and an ecu smaller than a pager won't wind up weighing much extra. May also lead to certain internal parts of the suspension not being necessary, balancing some of the weight gains.
H4L
1/9/2020 9:53pm
Very cool concept. Thnxz for posting Kiwifan..
deluxeman
1/11/2020 9:39pm
kiwifan wrote:
[url=https://www.rideapart.com/articles/372656/honda-bringing-dynamic-suspension-to-offroad-motorcycles/]Honda Patent[/url] Hmmm...not sure if this will work on a SX/MX bike, what if the sensors dont work when covered in mud or they fail, does...
Honda Patent

Boomslang wrote:
Is this the way of the future? I hope not. Bikes are expensive enough and it would be shit seeing things head in the direction of...
Is this the way of the future? I hope not. Bikes are expensive enough and it would be shit seeing things head in the direction of F1.

Yeah a mountain bike with this system is right at $10,000-12,000. It adds a few grand to the price. It may or may not work better than what we have now. On pavement I can see the benefits, dirt is a different story.
devotid
Fantasy
315th
1/11/2020 10:20pm
The 1992-93 Williams FW14B was outlawed after one year. Nigel won 9 out of 16 Grand Prixs. As a youngster I thought it was the coolest thing watching it "dance" in the pits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AME4v3qZkc

Interesting article on the car.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133502/what-made-the-1992-williams-fw…

I dont think it should be allowed in Moto. The more mechanical the better in my opinion.

Post a reply to: Electronic/Dynamic suspension

The Latest