ELBOW protection, whos running them and which ones?

adam8781
Hey vitards,

i have the tp199 knee guards and love them, they dont move fit great and saved my ass so many x. this weekend I lost the front end on a slick straight and cheese grated my left arm (AGAIN)

i think its time i had elbow protection. I'm 5:11 210 lb body builder type and want to know what's working for you guys to keep your arms intact.

I want it all, comfort, protection, venting. There as so many choices and I'm hoping you all have some helpful feedback)
|
LungButter
6/9/2021 11:23am
Who's running them?

Mostly guys over 60 from what I see Tongue
gt80rider
6/9/2021 11:54am
I run them in 50+..... had enough injuries, enough torn up elbows... I use the smallest/lightest from Fox, the same ones I wear for MTB riding....
artc
6/9/2021 12:17pm
I had a bad accident and broke my right elbow.5 operations later i knew i had to wear something. I hated elbow pads. I went with the Thor Sentry XP body suit. It's the only way i would have to wear them.{there are all part of the suit}
Guess what, the suit ain't bad to wear and my elbows are now covered.

bergie11
6/9/2021 12:59pm
Same thing happened to me. Cheese grated my arm again so bought some Leatt 3DF 5.0. I liked the fact they had silicone to keep them in place. I have had them slip despite my shirts being a fitted cut and probably helping them stay in place. if you crash they are probably going to slip and offer questionable protection.. Maybe a suit type thing is the answer. After a month or so i stopped wearing them.

Seems like talking to folk all elbow pads slip.

The Shop

gpracer4224
6/9/2021 1:04pm
I've been running the TLD Speed Elbow Sleeves for almost two years now and love them. You can't see them in photos, they aren't big and bulky but they get the job done. And if they fall down a little, you can barely notice that they have.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
6/9/2021 1:16pm
Ive been going to the track for 35 years and I've never seen elbow pads.
Hammer 663s
6/9/2021 1:28pm
I cheese grated my L elbow/forearm last weekend so good timing for this. I'm looking at a sleeve style cause most reviews say anything else moves on impact.

I'm almost 60, and yes, us old farts wear more protective gear. Those of us that have survived moto this long and still ride and race have gained a lot of scars and wisdom over the years. Hitting the ground hurts, and at 50+ recovery takes time, not to mention that any crash might be my last. I'm in my final working years, and make serious income. This would be a bad time to get hurt so bad I can't work. I DGAF if you call me an old man or a wuss for wearing gear that might seem useless to you at 25. I got underwear older than you, punk. Wink

Hammer 663s
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
6/9/2021 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2021 1:46pm
I started wearing them after hitting the deck during an early season mx event that had some ice under the dirt. Nasty bash on the joint. Still wear them now running woods races in the summer. EVS brand. Dunno the model- would probably be obsolete anyway- I've had them for years.

They're lightweight, stay in place, and I never notice them while riding. I think the key to keeping them in place it to push them up past your elbow when you put them on, then pull back down into place. That way the jersey sleeve underneath is pulled taught from the shoulder and helps keep them from sliding down.

H

Update- I see the new ones are all using 1 rigid molded panel. The ones I have use two- one for the forearm, and one for the upper arm, with a padded flex area in between. Maybe that's why they stay in place better.
toomanykaws
6/9/2021 1:43pm
The fox MTB elbow guards fit under the jerseys well. I don’t ride without them.
fcr
12/31/2023 9:21am

Reviving this old thread, anyone have experience wit G-Form? My old Rollerblade guards just slip too much now, They stayed in place when not stretched out. Now they have become wrist guards after a while. I have a few of the above brands, TLD, Fox Thor. They were all given to me and I can see why, they were not really that protective. I may have to look at the Leatt in a shop if I can get to some in the near future, also the TP EVS maybe. I use that knee guard and am happy with it. So if there is any input, I appreciate.

Toste
Fantasy
794th
12/31/2023 10:25am
fcr wrote:
Reviving this old thread, anyone have experience wit G-Form? My old Rollerblade guards just slip too much now, They stayed in place when not stretched out...

Reviving this old thread, anyone have experience wit G-Form? My old Rollerblade guards just slip too much now, They stayed in place when not stretched out. Now they have become wrist guards after a while. I have a few of the above brands, TLD, Fox Thor. They were all given to me and I can see why, they were not really that protective. I may have to look at the Leatt in a shop if I can get to some in the near future, also the TP EVS maybe. I use that knee guard and am happy with it. So if there is any input, I appreciate.

I had the same problem with my TLD speed sleeves slipping down after a while. I also noticed after I stopped using them that they were causing arm pump and tingling in my hands. From the research I've done, it seems like the only way to prevent the slipping problem is by strapping them on uncomfortably tight. Hopefully some of the guys here will have some good advice. I'm thinking of doing some desert racing and don't like the idea of falling into rocks or cactus without arm protection.

j368
12/31/2023 10:44am

Being I played hockey for years. I’d look at elbow pads from Bauer or CCM if I was looking for high quality elbow protection. 

bluesmoke
12/31/2023 10:50am
LungButter wrote:
Who's running them?

Mostly guys over 60 from what I see Tongue

There is a reason why we are still riding well over 60.😉

Toste
Fantasy
794th
12/31/2023 11:18am
Titan1 wrote:
I’ve been wearing elbow protection for about 15 years….only way I’ve found to keep them on my elbows (rather than slide down my forearms) is to...

I’ve been wearing elbow protection for about 15 years….only way I’ve found to keep them on my elbows (rather than slide down my forearms) is to buy a full body armor…

im currently running this one, and really like it: 

https://www.motosport.com/product/?code=SS-M-G-P-NA-PLA-DIRT&key=Troy-L…

Do you have any issues with overheating? I thought about getting that exact model, but riding in southern Nevada and SoCal, I thought it might be too hot. My EVS F2 even gets uncomfortable for me if I try to wear it under my jersey on warm days.

Toste
Fantasy
794th
12/31/2023 11:38am
j368 wrote:

Being I played hockey for years. I’d look at elbow pads from Bauer or CCM if I was looking for high quality elbow protection. 

That's a good idea. I had some roller hockey Jofa knee/shin guards back in the '90s that were 10X better than any moto guards I've tried.

Rawly
12/31/2023 12:02pm

10729A04-43D5-434C-8AEA-7DD0770EBC3A
I’m with Titan , but my excuse is I’m 60. I use the Leatt 5.5   Used to only attach the elbow pads in the desert until I forgot to put them back on one time. Now they stay attached. Looped it at 78 and the pads were in my bag. Ground my elbow down and it hurt for a few years.  I’d check out mountain bike pads if the armor is too much for you. Sure wish mine weren’t in the car for this ride 🤣

3A46E154-5331-454C-8CB7-ED4DE925119B.png?VersionId=KPC.XZZMYyJjil..aMlw6  Sure wish mine weren’t in my car on this ride 🤣

wwdiii
12/31/2023 1:01pm

I’m one of the older guys.  I wear EVS elbow protectors, don’t recall which model.  I had nerve tunnel surgery left elbow a few years back.  I don’t ride unless I have elbow protection.  

Titan1
12/31/2023 1:47pm
Titan1 wrote:
I’ve been wearing elbow protection for about 15 years….only way I’ve found to keep them on my elbows (rather than slide down my forearms) is to...

I’ve been wearing elbow protection for about 15 years….only way I’ve found to keep them on my elbows (rather than slide down my forearms) is to buy a full body armor…

im currently running this one, and really like it: 

https://www.motosport.com/product/?code=SS-M-G-P-NA-PLA-DIRT&key=Troy-L…

Toste wrote:
Do you have any issues with overheating? I thought about getting that exact model, but riding in southern Nevada and SoCal, I thought it might be...

Do you have any issues with overheating? I thought about getting that exact model, but riding in southern Nevada and SoCal, I thought it might be too hot. My EVS F2 even gets uncomfortable for me if I try to wear it under my jersey on warm days.

No, I haven’t had overheating issues…it is definitely warmer than just a jersey…but only marginally hotter than a standard chest protector (it is ventilated pretty well so as long as your moving it’s not bad at all).  I run this in desert races all the time…some of those have been hot, and I would say I would uncomfortable and hot either way (I’m going to be hot with or without it), so I side with the extra protection and wear it.

sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
12/31/2023 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/31/2023 1:56pm
fcr wrote:
Reviving this old thread, anyone have experience wit G-Form? My old Rollerblade guards just slip too much now, They stayed in place when not stretched out...

I started using G form elbow pads for mountain biking, I got so used to them I won’t tide anything without them now. No slipping down issues for me. But I’m old and not exactly flat landing from  10 feet, but they stay in place for me

j368
12/31/2023 1:59pm
j368 wrote:

Toste wrote:

That's a good idea. I had some roller hockey Jofa knee/shin guards back in the '90s that were 10X better than any moto guards I've tried.

You’re right, Jofa makes excellent equipment too. 

skypig
12/31/2023 4:07pm

60yo, and counting.

2 elbow surgeries (starting at 19yo, then a Supermoto crash in my 50’s)

Leatt on the Moto. Fox “Enduro Pro” or Daneise on the MTB. “Protec” and leather on the Road Race bike.

1/1/2024 11:55am
MBR wrote:
None. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/09/497092/s1200_F1A657C6_1CE7_4086_B6C8_7F2C0C3B25F2.jpg[/img]
None.

That picture reminds me of when I was about 11 years old.  One of the best looking girls from my school was visiting next door.   So, I chose to impress her with my Evel Knievel type skills on my GT80.    A few (bad) wheelies didn't seem to do it.  So, I stood on the seat (just like Evel warming up for his jumps).   That seemed to get her attention.  So, for some reason (50 years later, this moment still lingers as  "WTF was I thinking"), I decided to turn loose of the bars and "surf" down the blacktop road, standing on my seat.   I made it about .2 feet.   Both arms looked like this picture.   Impressed the hell out of her ...       Back on topic, I wore elbow pads when I started riding/racing again at about 40 years old.   I wore them over a "compression" sleeve that seemed to help with arm pump (which also helped keep them from moving.)

Bearuno
1/1/2024 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2024 6:40pm

I got Jack of near constantly 'hamburgered' elbows way back in the 70s. When the MAX gear came out for BMX, I started using their Sliders. I still have a Blue set of them, and their fantastic BMX pants . It's a pity that they don't come within 10 inches of doing up - it's many, many years since I was equipped with a 30" waist.... .

Since then, I've used Elbow guards. NO Hamburgered elbows or forearms. And, perhaps they have helped prevent worse injuries. Back in the late 90s, Fox brought out their guards that were a sleeve, with grey forearm plastic protection, and a grey plastic cup over the elbows. 

I was given free Fox gear at that time, and got about 6 pairs of them.  I'm now down to one last new set in their packaging, and will have to use them soon, as, eventually, the Power of Bear Sweat, kills the sleeves .

I find the sleeves keep them in place, without the tornique effect of straps.

No torn up Elbows or forearms from two wheels for years now, but bloody hell, when I do the mowing / garden work, my trees - many with Death Spikes- tear the hell out of me/ my heavy work shirts . I need to get those leather arm guards I see the local council gardeners use.    

JAFO92
1/1/2024 7:30pm

You race tight woods,  you need to cover them elbows.

Scrambles

Post a reply to: ELBOW protection, whos running them and which ones?

The Latest