Bone Stock - Term Overused

MOTO120
Edited Date/Time 5/21/2018 9:13am
Just an observation but it seems like the term "bone stock" is WAY overused. I love it when someone says "He finished X place on a bone stock bike. Only things done to the bike were suspension, motor work, full exhaust, triple clamps, riders preference bars, grips, levers, seat cover, graphics, Ti footpegs, skid plate, etc. etc. etc.". To me, "bone stock" means the bike is BONE STOCK....with stock seat cover, stock oil and internals in the suspension (meaning the suspension has never been opened up...clickers are OK though haha), stock exhaust, stock graphics, etc.

Rant over haha.
|
5/20/2018 5:52am
Well I hope they changed the stock oil after break in, otherwise he won’t be riding it much longer.
5/20/2018 5:52am
You’re referring to BOX stock. Bone stock is stock. Box stock is you bought the bike yesterday.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
5/20/2018 6:13am
MOTO120 wrote:
Just an observation but it seems like the term "bone stock" is WAY overused. I love it when someone says "He finished X place on a...
Just an observation but it seems like the term "bone stock" is WAY overused. I love it when someone says "He finished X place on a bone stock bike. Only things done to the bike were suspension, motor work, full exhaust, triple clamps, riders preference bars, grips, levers, seat cover, graphics, Ti footpegs, skid plate, etc. etc. etc.". To me, "bone stock" means the bike is BONE STOCK....with stock seat cover, stock oil and internals in the suspension (meaning the suspension has never been opened up...clickers are OK though haha), stock exhaust, stock graphics, etc.

Rant over haha.
Remember when Short won on a "bone stock" Honda?
APLMAN99
5/20/2018 6:14am
People have been misusing "stock" forever. When works bikes were legal, people would misuse it when they should have been using the word "production".......

The Shop

5/20/2018 9:54am
I've always thought it was so stupid when they say this. Nobody is on a stock bike out there. Nobody.
5/20/2018 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2018 12:10pm
Taft said he was

https://youtu.be/vM7NP8DKTQE

A texas pro who made 250 outdoors rode stock suspension on his ktms last year at times.... tested a good bit with some of the big companies and he really liked stock...

The average consumer is so douped on what they think is out there...and what they “have to have” to go faster

Most really just need bigger nuts, more talent, and a better mental approach
rbspecial138
Fantasy
872nd
5/20/2018 12:09pm
I've always thought it was so stupid when they say this. Nobody is on a stock bike out there. Nobody.
I believe it was #876 on a stock KTM 250sx out at hangtown yesterday and was killing it. Stock graphics, suspension, pipe etc.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/20/2018 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2018 12:09pm
I always think it's funny how the tune changes depending on the situation.

A ) beginning of the year, asking how they'll do: "I'm out here on a stock bike, just threw some suspension on it so we'll see".

B ) Same guy does well at a race: "I'd like to thank everyone helping put my program together, ____ who does my motors is awesome..."
rbspecial138
Fantasy
872nd
5/20/2018 12:10pm
seth505 wrote:
I always think it's funny how the tune changes depending on the situation. A ) beginning of the year, asking how they'll do: "I'm out here...

A ) beginning of the year, asking how they'll do: "I'm out here on a stock bike, just threw some suspension on it so we'll see".

B ) Same guy does well at a race: "I'd like to thank everyone helping put my program together, ____ who does my motors is awesome..."
True, but you could have your engine builder build you a stock motor meaning he just services it but doesn't necessarily modify anything. Just my 2 cents.
MotoMo165
5/20/2018 12:17pm
Hahahaha stock oil?? Fuck that.

When compared to his competition, his (Taft’s) bike might as well have been stock. I think he only had head work and one other thing gone to the top end.
MotoMo165
5/20/2018 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2018 12:20pm
seth505 wrote:
I always think it's funny how the tune changes depending on the situation. A ) beginning of the year, asking how they'll do: "I'm out here...

Pretty sure any time these guys are running close to stock bikes, it is because they get them a week before the race...

5/20/2018 1:31pm
Shane Watts won the GNCC Series on bikes that he literally pulled out of the box on race day at the track, if you think you need more to be competitive you are kidding yourself.
mb60
5/20/2018 1:59pm
So you are telling me nothing was done to the suspension on tafts bike yesterday ? No oil change or set up for him at all ?? I'm calling a bit if bs on that.
Sandman865
5/20/2018 2:09pm
Nothing done internal to Taft's suspension. Straight off showroom floor. He did get a header and pipe. But that is truly it. He will have suspension next weekend. He literally bought bike on Tuesday or Wednesday. Rode twice and raced it. Tickle did help him to get comfortable and help bike setup.
cwtoyota
5/20/2018 2:13pm
Taft said he was https://youtu.be/vM7NP8DKTQE A texas pro who made 250 outdoors rode stock suspension on his ktms last year at times.... tested a good bit...
Taft said he was

A texas pro who made 250 outdoors rode stock suspension on his ktms last year at times.... tested a good bit with some of the big companies and he really liked stock...

The average consumer is so douped on what they think is out there...and what they “have to have” to go faster

Most of those "consumers" would learn more skill racing a stock 125 for a couple of seasons.

Improperly tuned kit suspension can be worse than a showroom stock bike.
That modified race engine can wear you out in two laps if you aren't fit and using efficient technique.
I have seen these examples first hand with some novice class people.

piscokid
5/20/2018 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2018 2:28pm
You’re referring to BOX stock. Bone stock is stock. Box stock is you bought the bike yesterday.
Agreed,

Box stock = as it left the showroom
Stock (to me anyway) means no other performance mods. Suspension setup (on a stock bike) is fine. What if the rider is light or heavy and needs a spring change?

Racing the stock class for LL with my son, (50's, 65's and 85's) the "stock bike" was sent to the engine builder to be gone thru. It was "stock" however, the engine's rotating parts were balanced and checked etc. We used to call it "blue printing" meaning making it as close to stock spec as possible.
mb60
5/20/2018 4:39pm
Sandman865 wrote:
Nothing done internal to Taft's suspension. Straight off showroom floor. He did get a header and pipe. But that is truly it. He will have suspension...
Nothing done internal to Taft's suspension. Straight off showroom floor. He did get a header and pipe. But that is truly it. He will have suspension next weekend. He literally bought bike on Tuesday or Wednesday. Rode twice and raced it. Tickle did help him to get comfortable and help bike setup.
I'm sorry but a national pro on show room suspension on a national track would have blown through the suspension during practice. Maybe a simple revalve but not showroom stock suspension. I let s arenacross guy borrow my forks one time and het destroyed it on the 1st night. Lol
5/21/2018 6:00am
Well I hope they changed the stock oil after break in, otherwise he won’t be riding it much longer.
I read on vital that you can go 80 hours on stock engine oil on a YZF.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/21/2018 6:24am
Sandman865 wrote:
Nothing done internal to Taft's suspension. Straight off showroom floor. He did get a header and pipe. But that is truly it. He will have suspension...
mb60 wrote:
I'm sorry but a national pro on show room suspension on a national track would have blown through the suspension during practice. Maybe a simple revalve...
I'm sorry but a national pro on show room suspension on a national track would have blown through the suspension during practice. Maybe a simple revalve but not showroom stock suspension. I let s arenacross guy borrow my forks one time and het destroyed it on the 1st night. Lol
Taft cracked a top ten with handlebars, graphics, an exhaust, ECU, and fuel. Stock engine, stock suspension with a little adjusting made to clickers, air pressure, ride height, etc.

It's outdoors, not Arenacross...the bikes are more capable in stock trim than most are giving credit for. They don't put some magic setting in that makes them 50% stiffer for outdoors or something like that...

Alldredge had a pretty good first moto on a "stock" KTM 250 SX. He said engine and pipe were stock, had no grpahics outside of sideplates. No sure on suspension though.
billyp330
5/21/2018 6:39am
ML512 wrote:
Taft cracked a top ten with handlebars, graphics, an exhaust, ECU, and fuel. Stock engine, stock suspension with a little adjusting made to clickers, air pressure...
Taft cracked a top ten with handlebars, graphics, an exhaust, ECU, and fuel. Stock engine, stock suspension with a little adjusting made to clickers, air pressure, ride height, etc.

It's outdoors, not Arenacross...the bikes are more capable in stock trim than most are giving credit for. They don't put some magic setting in that makes them 50% stiffer for outdoors or something like that...

Alldredge had a pretty good first moto on a "stock" KTM 250 SX. He said engine and pipe were stock, had no grpahics outside of sideplates. No sure on suspension though.
Must be the PEDs...
mx317
5/21/2018 6:50am
ML512 wrote:
Taft cracked a top ten with handlebars, graphics, an exhaust, ECU, and fuel. Stock engine, stock suspension with a little adjusting made to clickers, air pressure...

billyp330 wrote:
Must be the PEDs...
That's really not funny.
billyp330
5/21/2018 7:04am
ML512 wrote:

billyp330 wrote:
Must be the PEDs...
mx317 wrote:
That's really not funny.
Keep your panties on, its just a joke.

Would love some news on that topic though. Weird how ML brought it up in forums then no official news, then everyone just seems to forget about it.

BTW in case you didnt see any of my previous posts about PEDs, I have openly stated in these forums how i feel drug testing is a waste of time and resources. I dont see it being a real advantage and even if it is so what. Some people also have an advantage based on their DNA. Also, our sport involves different levels of equipment within the same class, leading some to have a clear advantage as it is. Just my 2 cents on it...
billyp330
5/21/2018 7:07am
JBecker 72 wrote:
We’re all guilty of it, but just a reminder. [img]https://s9.postimg.cc/poc2pibf3/813_DB85_D-27_EA-483_A-_AA69-5_A286_BF0_ABC6.jpg[/img]
We’re all guilty of it, but just a reminder.

Must need a TUE to take those since so many riders dont
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/21/2018 7:12am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2018 7:12am
billyp330 wrote:
Keep your panties on, its just a joke. Would love some news on that topic though. Weird how ML brought it up in forums then no...
Keep your panties on, its just a joke.

Would love some news on that topic though. Weird how ML brought it up in forums then no official news, then everyone just seems to forget about it.

BTW in case you didnt see any of my previous posts about PEDs, I have openly stated in these forums how i feel drug testing is a waste of time and resources. I dont see it being a real advantage and even if it is so what. Some people also have an advantage based on their DNA. Also, our sport involves different levels of equipment within the same class, leading some to have a clear advantage as it is. Just my 2 cents on it...
It wasn't a PED per se in the sense most are thinking. I was told it was a pain pill that's on the ban list and it sounds like it was an internal team test at this point.
billyp330
5/21/2018 7:19am
ML512 wrote:
It wasn't a PED per se in the sense most are thinking. I was told it was a pain pill that's on the ban list and...
It wasn't a PED per se in the sense most are thinking. I was told it was a pain pill that's on the ban list and it sounds like it was an internal team test at this point.
Oh that makes a bit more sense. I'm guessing the team and him weren't getting along?
ob
5/21/2018 7:26am
ML512 wrote:

billyp330 wrote:
Must be the PEDs...
mx317 wrote:
That's really not funny.
What's funny is Taft and Tickle are working together.
drt410
5/21/2018 8:10am
Taft said he was https://youtu.be/vM7NP8DKTQE A texas pro who made 250 outdoors rode stock suspension on his ktms last year at times.... tested a good bit...
Taft said he was

He didnt win though. Did he even get top 5? Not the strongest argument.
5/21/2018 8:21am
Sheriff245 wrote:
I read on vital that you can go 80 hours on stock engine oil on a YZF.
Must have read the same info. The bikes these days are amazing. They don’t burn any oil over that period!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/21/2018 8:21am
I see a lot of stock keyboards in here. And a few that are clearly on the rev limiter.

Post a reply to: Bone Stock - Term Overused

The Latest