Another Shop Break In!

Phildo
12/3/2018 9:08am Edited Date/Time 12/3/2018 9:10am
GPS tracking.

I'm still at the start of tinkering with it, but this is definitely what we should all be doing.

For people in Australia, get on AliExpress.com and order an LK210. Make sure it's the 3G model. Will cost around $A70 delivered.

At that cost, it's suitable for a bike shop to fit one to each bike.

To fit one all you need to do is connect it to the bike battery (with a $2 365 day SIM card).

At this stage GPS tracking is rarely used on bikes, so thieves aren't checking for it.

Having seen how simple it is to set up I'll be putting one of these on every car and bike of mine in the near future.

NorCal 50+
12/3/2018 9:53am
What Phildo said- GPS tracking (with ability to remotely disable the bike) is the only thing that will stop this.
a22
12/3/2018 10:02am
pkiczuk wrote:
from what ive been told by several friends/family members that are lawyers, this story goes around in almost every way possible. its even in movies (like...
from what ive been told by several friends/family members that are lawyers, this story goes around in almost every way possible. its even in movies (like liar liar), thankfully its not true! at least not that a single one of them has been able to find. so I cant say its 100 % never happened, but you'll notice that everyone has heard almost the exact same story, but no one knows the actual source of it. I personally am not a lawyer, but I would think that if its on you're property, and a bad guy breaks into your property, you may be protected from being sued by someone who was bitten by your dog. It may not be the same thing, but here in Connecticut, if someone breaks into my house, I can shoot them with no duty to retreat. Some places call it the castle doctrine, I cant imagine it being much different with a dog.
Thanks God for that- yes maybe is an urban myth, me too heard sort of stories like this but not quite sure where exactly, just like you say. Quite alot of press here over the years when owners defend there properties with guns or excessive force and get prosecuted.
I remember my folks telling me when they were young, you never even bothered locking your house up and everyone just left the doors open. Imagine doing that nowdays!- there would be nothing left after 10minutes and probably 20 people living in it!
jeffro503
12/3/2018 10:09am
a22 wrote:
Thanks for reply- Glad to hear that the Law would be on the owners side- if someone is entering your property or premises. Yes, on the...
Thanks for reply- Glad to hear that the Law would be on the owners side- if someone is entering your property or premises. Yes, on the street is a different story because the dog should be under the owners responsible control and not running loose causing havoc and suchlike.
I maybe did hear though a story though as Newmann said in his earlier post about owners getting sued after thiefs did their scummy 'work' and dog repaid them. Good on the dog!
Shocking if you can get sued though if your dog bites someone on your own premises, that has illegally entered.
jeffro503 wrote:
There was a story here in Portland a few years back ( I can't remember if it was here , in this town though ? )...
There was a story here in Portland a few years back ( I can't remember if it was here , in this town though ? ) That a thief broke into a house and ate shit on a tile floor in a kitchen. He broke his arm , and then sued the home owner , and won in court. How's that for justice?
pkiczuk wrote:
from what ive been told by several friends/family members that are lawyers, this story goes around in almost every way possible. its even in movies (like...
from what ive been told by several friends/family members that are lawyers, this story goes around in almost every way possible. its even in movies (like liar liar), thankfully its not true! at least not that a single one of them has been able to find. so I cant say its 100 % never happened, but you'll notice that everyone has heard almost the exact same story, but no one knows the actual source of it. I personally am not a lawyer, but I would think that if its on you're property, and a bad guy breaks into your property, you may be protected from being sued by someone who was bitten by your dog. It may not be the same thing, but here in Connecticut, if someone breaks into my house, I can shoot them with no duty to retreat. Some places call it the castle doctrine, I cant imagine it being much different with a dog.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/3/2018 10:16am
jeffro503 wrote:
That's exactly what I meant with those pics. Anyone who does that kind of stuff on a mtb trail , should be prosecuted! I meant these...
That's exactly what I meant with those pics. Anyone who does that kind of stuff on a mtb trail , should be prosecuted! I meant these traps for the shop owner.

I'm sure some of you already know the story about our friend Danny , who got decapitated by a cable going across a logging road? I've told it a few times. But we rode together all day , and then he headed home on the logging roads , but never made it home. Long story short.....new neighbors bought some land close to the logging roads , didn't like dirt bikes going up and down them , and strung a cable across the road.

So good god Steve.....no I do not want anyone to do that kind of stuff on any trail , to hurt recreational people out having fun.
I think you're missing my point. On a trail it'd be illegal, but in a dealership you think it's okay?
jeffro503
12/3/2018 10:21am
jeffro503 wrote:
That's exactly what I meant with those pics. Anyone who does that kind of stuff on a mtb trail , should be prosecuted! I meant these...
That's exactly what I meant with those pics. Anyone who does that kind of stuff on a mtb trail , should be prosecuted! I meant these traps for the shop owner.

I'm sure some of you already know the story about our friend Danny , who got decapitated by a cable going across a logging road? I've told it a few times. But we rode together all day , and then he headed home on the logging roads , but never made it home. Long story short.....new neighbors bought some land close to the logging roads , didn't like dirt bikes going up and down them , and strung a cable across the road.

So good god Steve.....no I do not want anyone to do that kind of stuff on any trail , to hurt recreational people out having fun.
GuyB wrote:
I think you're missing my point. On a trail it'd be illegal, but in a dealership you think it's okay?
It was a joke Steve. You really think I want shop owners to make bear traps and string logs up with spikes?
Kenny Lingus
12/3/2018 10:23am
Phildo wrote:
GPS tracking. I'm still at the start of tinkering with it, but this is definitely what we should all be doing. For people in Australia, get...
GPS tracking.

I'm still at the start of tinkering with it, but this is definitely what we should all be doing.

For people in Australia, get on AliExpress.com and order an LK210. Make sure it's the 3G model. Will cost around $A70 delivered.

To fit one all you need to do is connect it to the bike battery (with a $2 365 day SIM card).

At this stage GPS tracking is rarely used on bikes, so thieves aren't checking for it.

Having seen how simple it is to set up I'll be putting one of these on every car and bike of mine in the near future.

I really don't know why people don't use these in areas that are known for bike theft.
Motoxdoc
12/3/2018 10:45am
With those pics, I don't see these guys not getting caught unless people in the local police department are trying really hard not to try hard. I'm looking forward to this thread turning into a "We got em" thread!
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
12/3/2018 10:46am
My problem with Booby traps would be forgetting I set them the night before and whamo.. I caught me..
a22
12/3/2018 11:12am Edited Date/Time 12/3/2018 11:18am
jeffro503 wrote:
There was a story here in Portland a few years back ( I can't remember if it was here , in this town though ? )...
There was a story here in Portland a few years back ( I can't remember if it was here , in this town though ? ) That a thief broke into a house and ate shit on a tile floor in a kitchen. He broke his arm , and then sued the home owner , and won in court. How's that for justice?
pkiczuk wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Thats crazy and disturbing, particularly the skylight case.
I think I better put some cushions on the floor under my windows now, to make my premises "Burglar Friendly" and safe for Burglars, they have rights also! I'll have a First aid kit handy also, in case he cuts himself when he smashes my windows! Heck, whilst I'm at it, I may as well boil the kettle and make him a cuppa Tea!
pkiczuk
12/3/2018 11:35am Edited Date/Time 12/3/2018 11:38am
I only got to read through that briefly Jeffro, so I didn't get to see all the sources they cited. But the first story it looks like the guy shot the burglar in the back as he was trying to run away...that's a big no no and if the bad guy died the shooter can easily be charged with murder. There is no reason to shoot someone whos trying to get away in my opinion. as for the guy who sued the school, I believe I had read that there is a lot of controversy behind that story and there is more to it than face value. also, that was the early 80's, I cant believe some laws haven't been changed to prevent these types of cases from moving forward, but I could definitely be wrong. the most messed up one to me is the guy who was being sued for shooting back at the burglar who shot him in the face. However, I haven't found where there was a ruling on that lawsuit yet, may be ongoing or may have been dropped but that one was true from what ive seen. All I know is if any of those stories (minus the first one) are indeed true, and the perpetrators did win their cases, then this world is in a worse state than I could have imagined.
motogrady
12/3/2018 11:36am
Steve125 wrote:
My problem with Booby traps would be forgetting I set them the night before and whamo.. I caught me..

I read a few times it's illegal. Emergency responders, fire dept guys can get caught up in them.
Also, the government feels it's illegal to shoot or beat the crap out of someone just for stealing from you.
They feel the punishment should fit the crime, and it's up to them to determine that.

Now, self defense in your home, different story, Even then, don't shoot the thief in the back, and by all means, if he crawls out of the house wounded, drag his ass back in before he kicks.
colvin227
12/3/2018 11:39am
I hope they wheelie those bikes right into oncoming traffic....Thieves are the lowest level of human kind.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/3/2018 11:40am
jeffro503 wrote:
It was a joke Steve. You really think I want shop owners to make bear traps and string logs up with spikes?
I get that you're in the "Get the bad guy" mode, but I can't get into the "Good guy with a boobytrap" mindset...or sense of humor.
12/3/2018 11:42am
Phildo wrote:
GPS tracking. I'm still at the start of tinkering with it, but this is definitely what we should all be doing. For people in Australia, get...
GPS tracking.

Good idea.
Up until recently most bikes do NOT have a battery...
Of course you could rig it up to the power system - easy enough when the bikes is running. I think I'll get a couple....

Consumers in MX continually beat on the dealer for bike pricing - it's a long standing practice that isn't hard to understand.
OEM forces more bikes down the dealers throats than they really want/need.
Dealers get in need of cash - and dump bikes
Consumers hear about deals - and beat up on dealers than dont deal to get a deal. New bikes are made ahead of selling all old bikes - no end to supply - dump what you got at a loss end of year.

Dealers carry some form of insurance - that comes OFF their profits - which are essentially zero on a dirtbike sale - and consumers go online for parts now
So that has to get passed through to the consumer
If we add in 70 bucks of a GPS device - and 30 minutes to install and remove upon sale - that has to get added to the consumer's price
Most dealers pay taxes of some variety - in theory to PROTECT their property - your fundamental governmental function - safety and property rights.
That has to get passed through...

Ultimately driving up consumer cost....

It's a shame we have these thefts - I think these people should be punished extremely heavily.
If it were a bomb - NSA/FBI would have their facial recognition done in 2 minutes.

Hell facebook has the technology to identify these people - same with google - but theft isn't "crime enough" to be worth the effort apparently.

Slack punishment and enforcement leads to increased crime IMHO.
jeffro503
12/3/2018 11:49am
jeffro503 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I get that you're in the "Get the bad guy" mode, but I can't get into the "Good guy with a boobytrap" mindset...or sense of humor.
I'm not really into any kind of mode , except for maybe " I hope they catch the theive's and wish there was a better way to do so " mode?

In all seriousness , I hate theive's more then just about anyone. Catching them is the 1st priority , and if some of them got hurt during the theft....I definitely wouldn't feel bad for them. There seems to be no penalty harsh enough in place , to detour these kinds of people. They get a slap on the wrist and are out doing it again next week. If there were things in place that made them regret doing bad shit....you would have less repeat offender's. Wouldn't you think?

I like the idea posted earlier about tracking devices and electronic's in which stop the bike from running ( Like what KTM / Husky do ).
12/3/2018 1:50pm
Predictable. So fucking predictable.Angry

Took 2 freaking days before this disappeared from the main forum.

Good job! The shop's need to recover their bikes is obviously not as important as the need to remain PC.

If we catch these lowlifes, we're just gonna ship them to SoCal where they can move in with y'all.

Maybe you can nurse them back to health too because they will need it if anyone in Texas finds them.
Wells423
12/3/2018 10:38pm
Predictable. So fucking predictable.:angry: Took 2 freaking days before this disappeared from the main forum. Good job! The shop's need to recover their bikes is obviously...
Predictable. So fucking predictable.Angry

Took 2 freaking days before this disappeared from the main forum.

Good job! The shop's need to recover their bikes is obviously not as important as the need to remain PC.

If we catch these lowlifes, we're just gonna ship them to SoCal where they can move in with y'all.

Maybe you can nurse them back to health too because they will need it if anyone in Texas finds them.
It’s a joke huh? Apparently bike theft isn’t an issue with the mods here.
jeffro503
12/4/2018 12:34am
I'm not surprised it ended up here. For some reason , this place Hate's it when you condem theive's. So to protect them from verbal slander , and let the bike shops pretty much take up the poop shoot by not letting the pics stay up on the front page......to save the dignity of the piece of shit robber's....it gets put in here. I've never understood this about this place. Those theiving fuckers deserve every bit of ill will thrown their way! Fuck em'!!
yz133rider
12/4/2018 6:51am
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm not surprised it ended up here. For some reason , this place Hate's it when you condem theive's. So to protect them from verbal slander...
I'm not surprised it ended up here. For some reason , this place Hate's it when you condem theive's. So to protect them from verbal slander , and let the bike shops pretty much take up the poop shoot by not letting the pics stay up on the front page......to save the dignity of the piece of shit robber's....it gets put in here. I've never understood this about this place. Those theiving fuckers deserve every bit of ill will thrown their way! Fuck em'!!
"But but it turns political and discriminatory"
Not discriminatory but im not blind or ignorant either.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
12/4/2018 5:18pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I'm not surprised it ended up here. For some reason , this place Hate's it when you condem theive's. So to protect them from verbal slander...
Jeffro, I'm gonna bet the reason this came here to die lies on your shoulders. You go overboard dude.
The trap jokes arent funny, and the constant posts just look crazy.

Take a chill pill next time.

Anyways hope the thieves get caught. With pictures this good I dont see how they wont be.
Wells423
12/4/2018 6:55pm
jeffro503 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
"But but it turns political and discriminatory"
Not discriminatory but im not blind or ignorant either.
Never try to explain logic on vital, or to the SoCal liberals who police it.
newmann
12/4/2018 9:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:
colintrax wrote:
Jeffro, I'm gonna bet the reason this came here to die lies on your shoulders. You go overboard dude. The trap jokes arent funny, and the...
Jeffro, I'm gonna bet the reason this came here to die lies on your shoulders. You go overboard dude.

Anyways hope the thieves get caught. With pictures this good I dont see how they wont be.
Jeffro go overboard?Smile

Stay woke Jeffro!
jeffro503
12/4/2018 10:06pm
jeffro503 wrote:
colintrax wrote:
Jeffro, I'm gonna bet the reason this came here to die lies on your shoulders. You go overboard dude. The trap jokes arent funny, and the...

newmann wrote:
Jeffro go overboard?Smile

Stay woke Jeffro!
I understand and get what Colin is saying , but in my defense on this , I have and always will hate theive's. It's the principal of it all , that a man takes what he didn't work for or earn. Something that isn't his. I judge people on their merit , and their merit alone!

And the trap jokes , maybe got taken the wrong way. I meant them as in the shop owner should put them in his shop......not on some trail. You know , like the old shotgun tied to the door handle type thing.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/4/2018 11:16pm
Setting a trap will get you thrown in jail even if you are trying to protect your business or property, and I could tell you were not serious and we all want the crooks to get whats coming to them but the sad part is the business owner or home owner is the one who gets screwed sometimes even though it shouldn't be that way. Sad
12/10/2018 7:20am
Well, Woods Cycle Country is having it's annual Christmas Party (we're in Texas where they still celebrate it) for it's customers this week.

Wish I could show up with these losers in a box so everyone could play Nutcracker with them.

Unfortunately, no updates on finding anything. Probably because the media is afraid of being called, well, you know,

The "R" word.
newmann
12/11/2018 6:46am
In a sort of related story, here's how we deal with theft in Texas. Note the quote from the Police Chief in the article. From this...
In a sort of related story, here's how we deal with theft in Texas.

Note the quote from the Police Chief in the article.

From this morning's San Antonio Express.

Mechanic Kills Thief Caught in the Act
I'll have a Coke!

Post a reply to: Another Shop Break In!

The Latest