My 1979 RC250 "replica"

swatdoc
Posts
1095
Joined
6/29/2014
Location
Temecula, CA, USA

Hey everyone. Thought some of you might enjoy seeing my extensively modded 1979 Honda CR250. The bike was initially purchased in pretty good shape - low hours, still original tires, etc. Then sent to Scott Steger at Vintage Factory for the initial build. After getting the bike from Scott, I have changed and added a few things. It's a sweet bike. IMHO these Hondas were the best looking bikes ever made. The bike is not a garage queen - you'll see me racing at Glen Helen and Lake Elsinore typically.

The following is a list of mods:

General - bike totally stripped, every item refinished/replated, etc. All new cables, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc.

Front suspension - Billet triple clamps from PDE. Forks are from a modern Honda XR650L (43mm). The valving is very similar to a 1987 Honda CR250. Race Tech gold valves installed. Left lower leg was sent to PDE in the UK where the disc brake lugs were machined off and a drum brake lug was welded on. Both lower legs then sent to Noleen for custom exterior machining and internal hard anodizing. Standard XR650L fork boots are used. DC Plastics lower fork leg protectors were then used. Custom front axle by PDE.

Rear suspension - RC replica aluminum swingarm from KLP. 17.5" Fox Airshox completely refurbished and refinished by Thor Lawson. Custom valving by me. Rear chain guide/shock protector by PDE. Billet rear roller lowering bracket by PDE. Billet Rear brake arm by PDE. Custom rear axle by PDE.

Front brake - 1983 Honda CR480 DLS hub and backing plate - modified for larger axle by PDE.

Wheel/Tires - spokes and gold anodized rims by Full Circle Racing. Dunlop MX33 tires.

Body - Plastics by VMX. '76 Honda CR125 front fender used. Backgrounds by Fastlane MX. Seat base is plastic from VMX using VMX replacement foam and cover.

Gas tank - genuine Factory Honda works RC250. Note - I do NOT race with this tank - I put the stock tank back on for that! Custom machined washers from PDE. Custom white polymer gas cap from Holly Equipment  Japan.

Frame - kickstand bracket removed. Custom machined aluminum engine mounts and braces. Custom machined dished head stainless steel bolts from PDE. Wide footpegs by VMX.

Motor - Eric Gorr ported cylinder. Mugen replica gear set. All transmission internals REM treated. 1980 shift shaft shortened and re-splined by PDE. Custom aluminum shift lever. V-Force reed cage. HPI ignition from Elderfields in UK. Billet clutch basket by PDE. Custom billet kickstart lever by PDE. Lectron Billetron 38mm carb. Aluminum airbox reinforcement ring. Custom 3D printed air filter cage and mount by PDE.

Exhaust - Mugen replica pipe and aluminum silencer from Holly Equipment Japan. Billet aluminum exhaust manifold from PDE.DB104AE5-5EFA-4946-96C8-01FBB094C05A

 

18
|
vet323
Posts
3641
Joined
7/31/2010
Location
Lead, SD, USA
1/6/2023 1:09pm

I have a very low-hour 1980 CR250. The 78 and 79 Elsies are much better looking.

That is a beautiful bike-more pics!!

1
FreshTopEnd
Posts
13361
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Sacramento, CA, USA
1/6/2023 4:30pm

Love it!!!

1
ATKpilot99
Posts
10504
Joined
4/13/2010
Location
Lake Geneva, WI, USA
1/6/2023 4:33pm

Nice bike !  I think part of what makes those look better than the 1980 is the smaller side number plates 

1
bigsal
Posts
301
Joined
6/21/2017
Location
USA
1/6/2023 4:57pm

 Well Done!

 

1

The Shop

olds cool
Posts
4290
Joined
1/17/2010
Location
Claremont, NC, USA
1/6/2023 7:45pm

She’s a beaut doc.

The only thing left to do, imo, is to get someone to build you a replica of that factory tank so when you roll up to the line everyone will think you really are on a factory Red Rocket!

1
vet323
Posts
3641
Joined
7/31/2010
Location
Lead, SD, USA
1/6/2023 7:56pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:

Nice bike !  I think part of what makes those look better than the 1980 is the smaller side number plates 

That's how I feel. Well, the aluminum tanks are also cooler looking.

1
swatdoc
Posts
1095
Joined
6/29/2014
Location
Temecula, CA, USA
1/6/2023 8:56pm

Thanks guys.

I definitely wish someone made an accurate RC replica tank. I'd have one for sure. I do have very nice hand made aluminum replicas for a type 1 RC125, type II RC125, and a Lackey RC500.

 

As requested, a few more pics:image-20230106205221-1

image-20230106205323-2

image-20230106205435-3image-20230106205454-4image-20230106205509-5image-20230106205552-6image-20230106205625-7image-20230106205642-8

3
captmoto
Posts
5916
Joined
4/22/2009
Location
Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
1/7/2023 10:43pm

Nice. This things look like speed just sitting there. I have a pretty clean 79 RM250 I thought of doing something similar. Think I could probably buy a new bike by the time I got done with it.

1
PK97
Posts
270
Joined
7/28/2016
Location
Englewood, FL, USA
1/8/2023 9:42am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2023 10:35am

Super nice swatdoc!  

1
j368
Posts
584
Joined
7/13/2014
Location
Tulsa, OK, USA
1/8/2023 3:00pm

Nice!

1
1/12/2023 9:34am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2023 9:44am

Very nice bike. I built a RC250 replica 12 years ago. It was my brothers 79 that was trashed beyond belief- He still charged me 400.00 for it after pulling it out of a storage junk pile. I had a new 1980CR250- but It only lasted a month or so, It was worn out. Went back to YZ's. This bike has been sold(10 years ago) for $9500.00 and it was shipped Kentucky.

All the work / billet parts/ ti bolts were made in my shop. including all paint work.

E7E4314D-3C7B-46B4-83D5-6F7F9E8A3FC6

 0B31B382-E240-419F-81EB-DC81F27ACE16.jpeg?VersionId=oOIcNc40g0VGXEMvnHV3tSAIERCut6

 AF515C0C-D5BE-4A6E-9E9E-6043106DD1E5.jpeg?VersionId=dCGUXZU0qa2yq7Vk3LSmAK

 

4
1/12/2023 9:54am

Titanium axle, nut. Titanium brake stay. billet axle adjusters. al-ni-brnz brake plate bushings, brake cam sleeves front and rear. Dozens of hand machined bits throughout build

3
1/12/2023 12:48pm

The front fork set showa 41mm with a dls brake hub

same as RC honda

1
1/12/2023 1:26pm

That's a beautiful bike and I agree, one of the best looking bikes of all time.

1
swatdoc
Posts
1095
Joined
6/29/2014
Location
Temecula, CA, USA
1/15/2023 11:28pm

Awesome looking Rocket ROB!!!

Post a reply to: My 1979 RC250 "replica"

The Latest