2T engine builder recommendations

Related:
Create New Tag

10/20/2019 8:30 AM

Looking for engine builder recommendations to send my 2005 YZ125 engine out for full rebuild. I was thinking PC because long standing company but would like suggestions overall. I’ve read bottom end gear polishing is a plus but don’t know if it’s worth it for a good C rider.

|

10/20/2019 12:10 PM

Without a doubt id use Tom Morgan racing. Just had him port a yz125 and the bike absolutely rips.

|

10/20/2019 2:30 PM

Another vote for TmR.....1 man show, great communication, knows his 2t”s...get your credit card ready....

|

10/20/2019 5:23 PM

Appreciate the feedback so far!

|

10/20/2019 8:01 PM

Tom Morgan for sure. He made me yz315 stroker that was in straight rhythm. Absolutely rips! Did some of my other engines in the past and they were all killer. Top notch guy and great communication as well.

|

Craigslist Roacher to YZ315 Stroker Red Bull Straight Rhythm Build Here

Instagram @FVISSION
Facebook @FVISSION

10/20/2019 8:26 PM

+1 on TMR. He did my 02 CR250R, it ripped. Even better, he was an absolute pleasure to work with, and he’s a walking encyclopedia of two stroke info.

|

10/21/2019 3:55 AM

Bobby Barr, Barr Competition!

|

2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2012 YZ125 2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/



10/21/2019 4:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2019 4:02 AM

Derek out at Harris Performance.

|

10/21/2019 4:37 AM

Another vote for Tom Morgan. He understands how to run a business, and delivers on promises he makes. Do your research before sending parts to Harris Performance.

|

10/21/2019 9:20 AM

Yz229 wrote:

Tom Morgan for sure. He made me yz315 stroker that was in straight rhythm. Absolutely rips! Did some of my other engines in the past and they were all killer. Top notch guy and great communication as well.

That bike looks awesome! I can’t imagine holding on to it!

|

10/21/2019 9:23 AM

Anyone know or have experience with Haeseker racing or trick engineering? Form the feedback Tom Morgan appears owns the market of rebuild!

|

10/22/2019 12:17 PM

Tom Morgan.... period

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!


2006 KX250

10/23/2019 3:12 PM

Not TH Racing unless you want a port job that looks like it was done with a chisel.........

|

10/23/2019 8:22 PM

Well I think that’s a wrap, clearly Tom Morgan is the people’s choice! Can’t begin to thank everyone for the input.

|

10/23/2019 8:49 PM

terry varner did my 05 rm250, thing was stagggggering

|

10/25/2019 12:12 PM

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

|

10/25/2019 1:23 PM

KFW wrote:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

Did Tom quote you that?

|

Craigslist Roacher to YZ315 Stroker Red Bull Straight Rhythm Build Here

Instagram @FVISSION
Facebook @FVISSION

10/25/2019 1:50 PM

KFW wrote:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

It doesnt cost $2000 to rebuild a 125. And a newer one isnt going to be a zero hour bike

|

10/25/2019 1:52 PM

KFW wrote:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

Yz229 wrote:

Did Tom quote you that?

Yes, 2k.

|

10/25/2019 1:58 PM

KFW wrote:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

kb228 wrote:

It doesnt cost $2000 to rebuild a 125. And a newer one isnt going to be a zero hour bike

I’m sure your correct in that I could get cheaper however I’ve heard too many stories that make me not confident in the risk. Agreed newer isn’t zero but mine is a 2005 so I’d upgrade to SSS and plastics as well. Mine is great condition so could sell for 2k so minimal impact to upgrade to lower hour bike. That’s my thinking anyway.

|

10/25/2019 2:10 PM

KFW wrote:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

Yz229 wrote:

Did Tom quote you that?

KFW wrote:

Yes, 2k.

Would like to see that quote, doesn't make sense!

He built me a 315 stroker for $2500. Blue printed, ported top and bottom, stroked and balanced, reed valve and carb ported, YZ250X 5th gear.

|

Craigslist Roacher to YZ315 Stroker Red Bull Straight Rhythm Build Here

Instagram @FVISSION
Facebook @FVISSION

10/25/2019 4:06 PM

KFW wrote:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

kb228 wrote:

It doesnt cost $2000 to rebuild a 125. And a newer one isnt going to be a zero hour bike

KFW wrote:

I’m sure your correct in that I could get cheaper however I’ve heard too many stories that make me not confident in the risk. Agreed newer isn’t zero but mine is a 2005 so I’d upgrade to SSS and plastics as well. Mine is great condition so could sell for 2k so minimal impact to upgrade to lower hour bike. That’s my thinking anyway.

WOW, yeah not all those bells included. It was a verbal quote.

|

10/25/2019 7:20 PM

Give PC a call & get a quote. They've done the R&D on most of these 2T engines & have good data on them. They did an 03 CR2 cyl. / head for $300 in 2005 & it has been the best bang for the buck on mods to date.

https://www.procircuit.com/motor.htm

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

10/25/2019 7:26 PM

Terry Varner is another good option.

https://www.varnermotorsports.com/

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

10/26/2019 8:20 AM

Send top end to Morgan and do bottom end yourself or have a local do it. Bottom end rebuild takes a couple hours at most.
Performance engine builders don’t want to do drudge work, imo so quote high on it.......

|

10/26/2019 7:59 PM

Give Teddy at Boyko Racing a shout!

949-642-3275

|

Do It In The Dirt!

10/26/2019 9:38 PM

Tracktor wrote:

Send top end to Morgan and do bottom end yourself or have a local do it. Bottom end rebuild takes a couple hours at most.
Performance engine builders don’t want to do drudge work, imo so quote high on it.......

Great advice, I actually was able to locate a local guy that I checked some references very positive. Does bottom end for $350 plus parts! Thanks a million Tracktor!!

|

10/28/2019 4:25 AM

H4L wrote:

Give PC a call & get a quote. They've done the R&D on most of these 2T engines & have good data on them. They did an 03 CR2 cyl. / head for $300 in 2005 & it has been the best bang for the buck on mods to date.

https://www.procircuit.com/motor.htm

I did call them. Absolutely horrible customer service. Some kid who did know anything couldn’t carry a conversation on the topic which I understand however he didn’t or wouldn’t transfer me to someone who could. So bad experience that left me frustrated.

|

11/1/2019 11:53 AM

KFW wrote:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

KFW I apologize if there was some misunderstanding on the verbal quote. Rebuilding an engine, transmission, and crankshaft using all original Yamaha bearings, seals, gaskets, rod kit, and piston would be around $1100-$1200 parts and labor. This would include inspecting every component of the engine, clutch, and transmission, blasting the cases to look like new again, and applying 30 plus years of experience in assembling an engine that easily lasts another 15 years. The 2K quote would have included other items discussed such as big bore cylinder work, custom porting work, head combustion chamber re-shaping etc. A job is never started without there being a written proposal of parts and labor with a total that includes return shipping. I am always personally available for anyone to call or email for pricing info and I will provide as close an estimate as possible prior to actually seeing the engine.

|

11/1/2019 12:13 PM

KFW wrote:

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, after further reviewing pricing it seems cheaper to just buy a newer YZ125 versus rebuilding my 2005 motor bottom and top for 2K.

Engine Guy #1 wrote:

KFW I apologize if there was some misunderstanding on the verbal quote. Rebuilding an engine, transmission, and crankshaft using all original Yamaha bearings, seals, gaskets, rod kit, and piston would be around $1100-$1200 parts and labor. This would include inspecting every component of the engine, clutch, and transmission, blasting the cases to look like new again, and applying 30 plus years of experience in assembling an engine that easily lasts another 15 years. The 2K quote would have included other items discussed such as big bore cylinder work, custom porting work, head combustion chamber re-shaping etc. A job is never started without there being a written proposal of parts and labor with a total that includes return shipping. I am always personally available for anyone to call or email for pricing info and I will provide as close an estimate as possible prior to actually seeing the engine.

Tom, thanks for posting and clearing that up. You have done a few engines for me (mostly Vintage stuff--remember the Husky 125GP ??lol) and that $ 2,000 quote seemed to me that the OP must have misunderstood something !!!

Well anyway KFW, this is your guy , you won't regret it !!!!

And Tom, in the next couple of weeks I'll be sending the Rm250A cylinder back out to you to fix that exhaust bridge that the other dude messed up, along with the Noguchi cylinder for that project. (Mick)

|