Hand Grip installation Methods

K-dubbb
Edited Date/Time 9/16/2015 10:39am
What works for you guys?

I have tried the following with not much long to mid term success:

-wire them down, grips eventually split at wires.
-electrical tapped then brake fluid, didn't get them firm.
-grip glue, again never got them firm for any length of time.

So hoping someone can bestow me with their signature successful method or tips for my previously used methods Smile

Thanks!
|
Jmcd1988
9/7/2015 8:30am
Hair spray works great for me. Spray the bar and the inside of the grip. Slides right on then let it dry. Never had a problem.

Be careful Some hair sprays will swell the grips.
Paw Paw 271
9/7/2015 8:33am
Hair spray or spray paint. I always then safety wire the grips as well.
Be sure to put a small hole in the end of the grips to allow air to exit when pushing them on the bars.

Paw Paw
9/7/2015 1:47pm
I use the old school way of paint on the handlebar and on the inside of the grip, if the grip is so soft that you can split the grip with safety wire use a double loop of safety wire. If you put thee left grip on without the throttle grip you won't have any issues then mount the grip on the throttle tube.

The Shop

WVUpetro2013
9/7/2015 2:18pm
I use renthal grip glue and haven't had any issues. Need to make sure to use some sort of cleaner to remove any oil so you get a good contact.
mxrider971
9/7/2015 4:26pm
ODI Lock-On grips work really well. You just put them on and tighten a bolt. Ive used them for years and they have never moved on me. They last long to. Even longer if you use their bar ends with it.
cwtoyota
9/7/2015 6:03pm
3M makes a product called "Super Weather Stripping Adhesive". You can find it at auto-body supply shops, Napa Auto parts, etc. It's basically the same glue as a quality grip glue like Scott or Renthal, but it comes in a large toothpaste size tube. I think I've had my current tube for about 2 and 1/2 years and there's still plenty of glue in there.

Clean your bars...

I put a 1/8" wide bead of 3M adhesive on top of the handlebar about the length of my grip. Then I make a 1/8" wide donut or ring of glue inside the grip about 1/2" inward from the open end.

Next, I pull the grip onto the bar while using the flanged portion of the grip to lift the top edge of the grip over that long 1/8" bead of glue on the handlebar. The glue inside the grip will let it slide right on the bar without much effort.

If you can feel an air pocket in the grip, squeeze it toward the flanged open end of the grip while pulling up on the flange. This will allow the air a path to burp out.

Now use a rag to wipe any excess glue off of the inboard flange of the grip and bar.

Finally twist the grip a full 360 degrees and then if it is a-symmetrical, point it in the direction it needs to be in.

I use three pieces of .025" stainless lock-wire on my grips. I don't put two loops like Xnationalwrench suggested, but it never cuts through unless I crash. His suggestion is a good one if you have that problem. Just keep in mind that it doesn't take much tension on the wire and you don't need anything larger than .025" wire for grips and the larger stuff will be harder to set the correct wire tension.

On the throttle side, put a piece of electrical tape over the stupid hole in the end of throttle tube. That will prevent the glue from squirting through and sticking up the throttle.

I've attached a photo of the grips that are currently on my 125... They are beat down, but they haven't slipped, the wire is still tight and hasn't cut through the grip. The third piece of safety wire is under the black grip donut.

mb
9/7/2015 9:01pm
pint thinner to clean the bars. Clear coat on the bars and in the grip. Fling out the excess paint in the grip and stick it on the bar. Never used safety wire, and I've stopped poking holes in the end of the grips. Works better than grip glue because you get adhesion on the entire surface.
DoctorJD
9/8/2015 5:42am
Jmcd1988 wrote:
Hair spray works great for me. Spray the bar and the inside of the grip. Slides right on then let it dry. Never had a problem...
Hair spray works great for me. Spray the bar and the inside of the grip. Slides right on then let it dry. Never had a problem.

Be careful Some hair sprays will swell the grips.
So simple, and works like a dream. I use the pump hairspray (extra-hold, non-aerosol) with three runs of safety wire. An added bonus is that they're easy to take off when the time comes, and it doesn't leave a bunch of crap on your bars to clean up.
shuggs
9/8/2015 11:06am
Spray paint (clear lacquer just in case of spills and safety wire (just in case) have never had a problem.
Oldnslo
9/8/2015 6:33pm
Clear spray paint and double loops of safety wire. Done deal....been doing this for 40 plus years with zero issues!
zb658
9/8/2015 9:23pm
Am i the only one who uses gasoline? Works like a charm, EVERY TIME!
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
9/9/2015 1:45am
Oldnslo wrote:
Clear spray paint and double loops of safety wire. Done deal....been doing this for 40 plus years with zero issues!
X2 But only for 30 years or so
Tonynz
9/9/2015 2:05am
ODI, Emig grips , been using them for a couple of years great, son uses them as well.
MOTODAD422
9/11/2015 11:33am
Back in my younger days i used friction tape and gasoline to anchor my oury's,never moved, but wore out quickly. now I use honda grip glue,good stuff.
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
9/12/2015 8:00am
I use renthal grip glue and haven't had any issues. Need to make sure to use some sort of cleaner to remove any oil so you...
I use renthal grip glue and haven't had any issues. Need to make sure to use some sort of cleaner to remove any oil so you get a good contact.
I have used the Renthal glue as well and works great. Also added wire.
BobPA
9/12/2015 1:36pm
I just clean the handlebar/throttle tube surface with brake or carb cleaner. Then stick the nose of an air gun so the grip to balloons over the bar. Put on some grip wire and away I go. No mess no fuss.
tbgonz
9/13/2015 8:57pm
wrap electrical tape around the bars > spray WD40 in grip > fling out excess > slide right on > dries pretty quick.

i've done this multiple times and i've never had the grips budge. super simple
IceMan446
9/16/2015 10:39am
Shot of contact cleaner on the bar, slide the grip on and use wire.

No need for glue or all that other crazy stuff.

Post a reply to: Hand Grip installation Methods

The Latest