sg12 vs tech 10s

ricko
Posts
738
Joined
9/6/2011
Location
bfe, PA, USA
Fantasy
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2014 7:26am
what's got better ankle support? have sg10s now and have had tech 8s in the past. bootie or no bootie don't bother me. I just have a bad ankle and was looking for which one had better ankle support. I know it seems the Gaerne boots hold up better in general. price don't matter to me. just looking for advice from anyone who has maybe worn both riding. thanks.
|
HenryA
Posts
3783
Joined
12/29/2011
Location
Stockholm, SE
2/17/2014 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2014 3:11pm
It definitely feels like the Tech 10's got more ankle support because of the inner bootie.
mx510
Posts
1993
Joined
2/26/2011
Location
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
2/17/2014 3:13pm
Not sure as I havent had SG12s but I love my tech 10s. I did see a buddy come up short on a smallish jump (45-50') in SG12s while ridng on the balls of his feet and ended up breaking his leg (the plastic stops on the back of the boot blew out and over extended is ankle). He swore off SG12s after that.
2/17/2014 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2014 3:25pm
sg 12's hands down is the better boot !!! and yes ive owned several pair of both and have 2 bad ankles one of which smashed into shite a few years ago , just to add the sg12 is a much improved boot over the sg10 ,
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
2/17/2014 3:27pm
I'd buy a $99.00 set of Thor clearance special boots before I bought another set of A Stars. And that's coming from a long time all A Stars family.

The Shop

2/17/2014 3:33pm
What size are you looking for? I have a pair of sg 12's for sale.. I'M SELLING EVERYTHING INCLUDING MY MOMMA! lol, OK, I kid about selling momma dukes. Tongue
malachi177
Posts
2281
Joined
12/18/2010
Location
B.C., BC, CA
2/17/2014 3:34pm
SG12 for sure. I went from Astars to the SG10. They are without a doubt the best boot I've ever had. The '12s are a step up from that.
MxKing809
Posts
6374
Joined
10/13/2013
Location
Big Sand Whoops, MI, USA
Fantasy
2/17/2014 3:55pm
They're about the same. I've broken both my ankles in SG12's..... But still choose to run them over Tech10's I have on the shelf. It's a different feel without the ankle straps and the booties, but I prefer the Sg12's. They're lighter, hold up longer (IMO), and allow you to move more. As far as support? I'm not sure one is 'better' than the other.... Just different
TeamGreen
Posts
37728
Joined
11/25/2008
Location
Thru-out, CA, USA
2/17/2014 4:28pm
I've worn SG10s, SG12s and T-10s. The SGs last FOREVER and are virtually Worry-free. Tech10s are cool; but, they wear out really quick. Ankle sport between all these boots seems to be a matter of how they fit/how you wear them.

My favorite reason for wearing Gaerne?

If I'm gonna drop $400 - $800 on boots? They WILL be Italian...as in ACTUALLY MADE IN ITALY!
Not China or some other back-woods communist country.

I've been wearing my SG10s lately (Moto) & I wear my 12s in Baja.

I'm jus' sayin'...
2/17/2014 4:57pm
ive had both and wont use the alps no more. I recently got another set of sg12s , they are absolutely the most comfy boots. I think the new fox boots are really close in comfort but never road with them. my buddy just got a set of the new fox boots and I loved the way they felt, I wear a size 11 the gaerne and a 12 in the fox boots. I have big wide fat feet, and both are very comfy.
bd
Posts
6055
Joined
4/6/2007
Location
Las Vegas, NV, USA
2/17/2014 6:27pm
Check out the Sidi SRS 2
bvm111
Posts
10184
Joined
7/1/2008
Location
Las Vegas, NV, USA
2/17/2014 6:54pm
I've been after the same info. I had 12 year old Tech 8's and just got back into riding so I bought what I thought were the best.... Tech 8 of course! Not the same boot or feel... They hurt my feet so bad I regret buying them and now I'm sure I'm stuck. I have been eye balling the SG12s and am close to pulling the trigger... I am just concerned the ankle support won't be the same. I might just get my old boots re-soled, that being said I'm on BTO with the sg12s in my shopping cart!

Anyone interested in a very clean pair of tech 8 lights, white, size 10?
ricko
Posts
738
Joined
9/6/2011
Location
bfe, PA, USA
Fantasy
2/18/2014 8:41am
Sounds like SG12's are the way to go. Appreciate all the input.
2/18/2014 8:47am
SG12, the Tech 10s have no feel to them, you can't feel where the shifter and brake pedal are.
yz414
Posts
1031
Joined
5/30/2012
Location
CA
2/18/2014 8:51am
bd wrote:
Check out the Sidi SRS 2
how are those for support? i really love the feel of them but they seem a little under supportive
nytsmaC
Posts
5946
Joined
8/10/2009
Location
Frig Off, CA
2/18/2014 8:52am
My last pair of boots were a real Italian pair of Tech 8's, replaced them with SG12's and will never go back to Alpinestars. I liked my Tech 8's but the Gaernes are just so much nicer, and more supportive feeling.
IceMan446
Posts
4676
Joined
1/10/2010
Location
Sacramento, CA, USA
2/18/2014 9:22am
bvm111 wrote:
I've been after the same info. I had 12 year old Tech 8's and just got back into riding so I bought what I thought were...
I've been after the same info. I had 12 year old Tech 8's and just got back into riding so I bought what I thought were the best.... Tech 8 of course! Not the same boot or feel... They hurt my feet so bad I regret buying them and now I'm sure I'm stuck. I have been eye balling the SG12s and am close to pulling the trigger... I am just concerned the ankle support won't be the same. I might just get my old boots re-soled, that being said I'm on BTO with the sg12s in my shopping cart!

Anyone interested in a very clean pair of tech 8 lights, white, size 10?
You can send your boots to Alpinestars and they will recondition them, new soles, buckles, toe cap and booties if you ask for them for around 80 bucks plus shipping.

I had mine done and they look brand friggin new.

I don't know why everyone complains about the wear on the boots. I haven't had any issues with any pair of A-stars boots I have owned and don't expect any either.

I also don't run saw blades for foot pegs either. I don't have an issue with my feet slipping off the pegs so there is no reason to run some raptor pegs or anything of the like. Sharpen up the stock Ti pegs I have every once in a while and I am good to go.
njracer46
Posts
713
Joined
3/20/2011
Location
USA
2/18/2014 9:31am
I get 4+ years out of my sg10's. my next boot will be the 12's

All my friends run astar and they last a year or 2 before they are completly shot

@ iceman- that's nice but If you have to send your expensive boots out every 2 years what does that say about their quality? Never had to send a pair or buy any replacement parts for any of my sg's. I still have my old pair that I ran for 5 years. I'll take a pic of them next time I see them.
nytsmaC
Posts
5946
Joined
8/10/2009
Location
Frig Off, CA
2/18/2014 10:02am
TCX Pro 2.1 $440 made in Italy
Forma Predator $550 made in Italy
Fox Instinct $550 made in China
Sidi Crossfire SRS $575 made in Italy
Alpinestars Tech 10 $580 made in Croatia
Gaerne SG12 $620 made in Italy


I dunno about you, but I'm not spending $550+ on boots made in China or Croatia.
MxKing809
Posts
6374
Joined
10/13/2013
Location
Big Sand Whoops, MI, USA
Fantasy
2/18/2014 10:07am
Gaerne is pretty good about sponsorships too..... Seems like they'll give 35% off if you have a heartbeat.... Which is probably just they're cost to dealerships so they're not really loosing out on much
Bret
Posts
832
Joined
8/10/2008
Location
Mission Viejo, CA, USA
2/18/2014 10:11am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2014 10:11am
bd wrote:
Check out the Sidi SRS 2
yz414 wrote:
how are those for support? i really love the feel of them but they seem a little under supportive
They are great for support. They are so comfortable that it doesn't seem like they would protect any better than a pair of Bruno Maglis. I have come up short on jumps, crashed, dabbed, got run over, and everything encased in those comfy Sidis has always come out unscathed. My only complaint, and it is a small one, is that it took me a few rides to get used to braking and shifting with them on. The replaceable soles are easy to change and last a long time. I think these boots are worth every penny.
Markee
Posts
3669
Joined
4/15/2013
Location
Suffolk, VA, USA
2/18/2014 10:42am
The SG12's are just a unreal boot! Big fan.
realslow
Posts
15
Joined
9/11/2009
Location
., OH, USA
2/18/2014 10:48am
I think the Tech 10s have a better support system assuming they work with your ankles. I had a pair a few years ago I had to put insoles in just so my ankle wouldn't rest on the hard plastic ankle support. After a few years with SG12s I tried a pair of Tech 10s again and I just couldn't wear them. Even with the insoles I couldn't tolerate even standing in them since my ankles would rest on plastic piece the replaceable outside guard/hinge attached to.

I assume my ankle is just lower than most people since obviously those who run them have no problems, however it still seems like an odd/limiting design.
bvm111
Posts
10184
Joined
7/1/2008
Location
Las Vegas, NV, USA
2/18/2014 8:56pm
bvm111 wrote:
I've been after the same info. I had 12 year old Tech 8's and just got back into riding so I bought what I thought were...
I've been after the same info. I had 12 year old Tech 8's and just got back into riding so I bought what I thought were the best.... Tech 8 of course! Not the same boot or feel... They hurt my feet so bad I regret buying them and now I'm sure I'm stuck. I have been eye balling the SG12s and am close to pulling the trigger... I am just concerned the ankle support won't be the same. I might just get my old boots re-soled, that being said I'm on BTO with the sg12s in my shopping cart!

Anyone interested in a very clean pair of tech 8 lights, white, size 10?
IceMan446 wrote:
You can send your boots to Alpinestars and they will recondition them, new soles, buckles, toe cap and booties if you ask for them for around...
You can send your boots to Alpinestars and they will recondition them, new soles, buckles, toe cap and booties if you ask for them for around 80 bucks plus shipping.

I had mine done and they look brand friggin new.

I don't know why everyone complains about the wear on the boots. I haven't had any issues with any pair of A-stars boots I have owned and don't expect any either.

I also don't run saw blades for foot pegs either. I don't have an issue with my feet slipping off the pegs so there is no reason to run some raptor pegs or anything of the like. Sharpen up the stock Ti pegs I have every once in a while and I am good to go.
Sweet I will look into it!

Thanks
yzjs7
Posts
1137
Joined
7/4/2013
Location
Antioch, CA, USA
2/18/2014 9:36pm
I own an older pair of tech 7's and they suck. I see the new 7's have an ankle hinge. Anyone wanna sell me they're sg 12's? I wear an 11 in Alpine and shoe.
2/19/2014 1:16am
Tech 10s have the best interface between the rider and the bike. I think I can actually ride faster in them than any other boots. The soles of Alpinestars seem to wear out faster though. Gearne boots are harder on rad. shroud graphics. they have plastic at the inner top of the calf and it starts to pull off your graphics quick if you use a lot of leg swag in your riding style.
mmain62
Posts
714
Joined
2/7/2013
Location
Knoxville, IL, USA
2/19/2014 5:34am
Ive had SG12'S for going on three years now and they still look brand new. I race B class and ride all the time and they are still as great as they were brand new. I want a new pair but only for the fact as I want a diffferent color. SG12 is the way to go.
Brtp4
Posts
441
Joined
9/12/2008
Location
Bend, OR, USA
2/19/2014 6:51am
ricko wrote:
what's got better ankle support? have sg10s now and have had tech 8s in the past. bootie or no bootie don't bother me. I just have...
what's got better ankle support? have sg10s now and have had tech 8s in the past. bootie or no bootie don't bother me. I just have a bad ankle and was looking for which one had better ankle support. I know it seems the Gaerne boots hold up better in general. price don't matter to me. just looking for advice from anyone who has maybe worn both riding. thanks.
I have both, although I have more time in the 10s. On the bike, the 10s and the 12s feel very similar, in general and for ankle support. IMO the biggest difference is that the 12s are slimmer, especially in the forefoot area.

Hope that helps.

BP
Redrcr34
Posts
1053
Joined
10/3/2008
Location
Springfield, IL, USA
2/19/2014 7:05am
In 30 years of riding and too many pairs of boots to count by far my sg12 s are the best boot. I love the history and quality of alpinestars and wanted to continue wearing them but after getting the sg12 I'm sold. Awesome boot, very we'll made. They feel like they were broke in after the first ride and are the most comfortable boot I've worn.
2/19/2014 7:10am
bvm111 wrote:
I've been after the same info. I had 12 year old Tech 8's and just got back into riding so I bought what I thought were...
I've been after the same info. I had 12 year old Tech 8's and just got back into riding so I bought what I thought were the best.... Tech 8 of course! Not the same boot or feel... They hurt my feet so bad I regret buying them and now I'm sure I'm stuck. I have been eye balling the SG12s and am close to pulling the trigger... I am just concerned the ankle support won't be the same. I might just get my old boots re-soled, that being said I'm on BTO with the sg12s in my shopping cart!

Anyone interested in a very clean pair of tech 8 lights, white, size 10?
Go to Pro-Boot. They will redo the soles and metal caps with Gaerne ones which last longer and are tackier.
mmcmx
Posts
2280
Joined
8/31/2008
Location
Perafita, Catalunya, PE
2/19/2014 7:14am
I love the sg10. It there a big improvement with the 12?

Post a reply to: sg12 vs tech 10s

The Latest