|

12/2/2017 5:29 PM

And of course the OP in the 250 support class smile

|

12/2/2017 5:31 PM

Looks like Tony Berluti’s brother too

|

12/2/2017 5:37 PM

Look a the names in both those classes. All the former champions and guys who would go on to be champions. A great time in motocross . I miss the Carlsbad USGP.

|

12/2/2017 5:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2017 1:32 AM

Hahaha, beers for lunch, sorry.

EDIT: Huge respect of course.

EDITED AGAIN: Deleted the nonsense before the first line.

|

12/2/2017 5:39 PM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Lackey on a Kawasaki , I'd say 79.

BobbyM wrote:

79 sirs

was that when Mike Bell led and then dropped out near the end feeling the searing heat? Am I remembering that right?

Speaking of the USGP, I took a pic from 1976 with DeCoster laying on the track after his yard sale crash just before Devils Drop, I wonder if he will sign it if I print it out?

|

12/2/2017 5:55 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

12/2/2017 5:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2017 6:00 PM

Different year but ,I think of Carlsbad I think of this.....

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

12/2/2017 7:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2017 8:42 PM

Look at the moto finishes. Dare I say that would have been my 1st podium at a big race. 14 in moto two... Was in 3rd when two lap sign came out along with the air in rear Metzler. Surprised i even made the last two laps with a flat rear on that crazy track.

|

12/2/2017 7:22 PM

Bobby M's a bad muthafuka!!!

|

12/2/2017 7:30 PM

Bobby M has walked the walk......some pretty quick mofo's in that results list.

|

12/2/2017 7:41 PM

Just one reason Bobby M is a legend!!

|

12/2/2017 8:00 PM

and it's coincedence that his moto finishes are 7-14 wink

|

I was G before the "moto drive" to Vital

12/2/2017 8:08 PM

Photo

|

12/2/2017 8:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2017 8:19 PM

Our local guy, Denny Swartz. Nice.

|

12/2/2017 8:41 PM

mxb2 wrote:

Swartz was badmofo back then

|

12/2/2017 8:46 PM

mxb2 wrote:

BobbyM wrote:

Swartz was badmofo back then

Still goes pretty good now.

|

12/2/2017 9:59 PM

BobbyM wrote: Photo

Photo

32 riders, 12 of them from Europe. Flyaways GP gates are more crowded now.....

|

12/2/2017 10:11 PM

BobbyM wrote:

Look at the moto finishes. Dare I say that would have been my 1st podium at a big race. 14 in moto two... Was in 3rd when two lap sign came out along with the air in rear Metzler. Surprised i even made the last two laps with a flat rear on that crazy track.

That's cool as hell Bobby! You have some serious history with the sport. Not many people can say that.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

12/2/2017 10:15 PM

line-up wrote:

Not by all that much. There have been some round in the past 2 years that the gate was 1/2 full. Not a knock on the riders at all.....it's a slight knock on GL that runs the GP's. Makes it about impossible for privateer's or smaller teams to make all the rounds. The money back then was a lot more plentiful then it is now days I think. Everything costs so damn much any more.

|

12/3/2017 12:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2017 12:56 AM

vetmxr wrote:

Bobby M has walked the walk......some pretty quick mofo's in that results list.

Not many vitards raced the USGP.

smile

|

12/3/2017 1:57 AM

BobbyM wrote: Photo

Photo

line-up wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

Not by all that much. There have been some round in the past 2 years that the gate was 1/2 full. Not a knock on the riders at all.....it's a slight knock on GL that runs the GP's. Makes it about impossible for privateer's or smaller teams to make all the rounds. The money back then was a lot more plentiful then it is now days I think. Everything costs so damn much any more.

Jeffro - the 12 riders back then was pretty normal for GP Regular(s) turnouts in the US - even with the 'pull' of Sunny California. The 250 support class didn't even have a 40 rider gate. In California - did they charge a motza to race it?

Now, you (generally) have more GP regulars at flyaways (Teams are contracted), but 'locals' tend to be thin on the ground - even if Luongo 'bends' his rules, and lowers his price to race.................

The scary thing for me, is that on both lists, there is not a rider name I'm unfamiliar with - I was such an avid follower of all things MX - well, Motorcycle Sport in total.

Even then, with prize money (not sure of the guaranteed appearance money, or any 'travel' money - if there was some) on offer, and the grouping of the Canadian and US rounds, Teams / Riders didn't do a lot of the rounds. Pretty bloody rare to have even a filled 40 rider gate, let alone having 'extras' in Canada and the USA. Whereas, European / Brit rounds, well, qualification was bloody hard to achieve.

Cost of Travel has Always been an issue - and it always will be. Wankers always look for ways to denigrate the GPs. And that prick Luongo provides plenty of opportunities to do so. Hell, a fair few US SX Teams / Riders would not go to the Canadian SX round, at times, due to cost.

|

12/3/2017 2:50 AM

Bearuno wrote:

Jeffro - the 12 riders back then was pretty normal for GP Regular(s) turnouts in the US - even with the 'pull' of Sunny California. The 250 support class didn't even have a 40 rider gate. In California - did they charge a motza to race it?

Now, you (generally) have more GP regulars at flyaways (Teams are contracted), but 'locals' tend to be thin on the ground - even if Luongo 'bends' his rules, and lowers his price to race.................

The scary thing for me, is that on both lists, there is not a rider name I'm unfamiliar with - I was such an avid follower of all things MX - well, Motorcycle Sport in total.

Even then, with prize money (not sure of the guaranteed appearance money, or any 'travel' money - if there was some) on offer, and the grouping of the Canadian and US rounds, Teams / Riders didn't do a lot of the rounds. Pretty bloody rare to have even a filled 40 rider gate, let alone having 'extras' in Canada and the USA. Whereas, European / Brit rounds, well, qualification was bloody hard to achieve.

Cost of Travel has Always been an issue - and it always will be. Wankers always look for ways to denigrate the GPs. And that prick Luongo provides plenty of opportunities to do so. Hell, a fair few US SX Teams / Riders would not go to the Canadian SX round, at times, due to cost.

Qualifying for the race, which was easier overseas with less riders, brought start money and then there was prize money for the races themselves. Not quite enough overall to cover all the costs of overseas races though.

Today the overseas races are farther afield, there are more of them, and not only is there no start or prize money, it costs a thousand Euros to enter.

|

12/3/2017 7:44 AM

Photo

|

12/3/2017 10:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/3/2017 10:41 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

Bearuno wrote:

Robgvx wrote:

Qualifying for the race, which was easier overseas with less riders, brought start money and then there was prize money for the races themselves. Not quite enough overall to cover all the costs of overseas races though.

Today the overseas races are farther afield, there are more of them, and not only is there no start or prize money, it costs a thousand Euros to enter.

I wasn't at the GP races as a teen in the late 70s, but it sure seemed from the reporting that there weren't 40 riders following the entire series but rather about 15-20 full time guys and then a bunch of really fast "local" guys who'd be pretty competitive at their home GP, and maybe a few other events. Perhaps it wasn't quite that way, but it sure seemed like that.

1979 seems to be a good example of that. Just racing that one US round left 3 riders who only raced that USGP in the top 20 of the final point standings, 6 in the top 25. Perhaps some of those euro riders who scored 5 points or fewer for the entire season did all the events, but it didn't seem like they were back then.

|

12/3/2017 11:06 AM

Here's kind of the "mid pack" of final point standings for 79. 500s on the left, 250s in the middle, 125s on the right.....

Photo

|