Track was terrible

yz133rider
Posts
5027
Joined
8/1/2013
Location
Avondale, PA, USA
Incredibly boring track. Why dont they copy more successful track designs and stick to them? Some tracks create amazing racing and multiple lines, room to pass etc, why not stick to that? Instead of this constantly making up new tracks and more often then not totally missing the mark. This track was so lame, follow the leader snoozefest.
21
3
|
3/16/2019 11:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 12:00am
I have decided I have no idea what combination of dirt, weather, and design will make a good track until I have seen them race it. Just so many factors at play. I, mean, afterwards it is easy to judge.

I think that unpredictability is what makes moto the greatest form of motorsports.
4
yz133rider
Posts
5027
Joined
8/1/2013
Location
Avondale, PA, USA
3/16/2019 11:59pm
I have decided I have no idea what combination of dirt, weather, and design will make a good track until I have seen them race it...
I have decided I have no idea what combination of dirt, weather, and design will make a good track until I have seen them race it. Just so many factors at play. I, mean, afterwards it is easy to judge.

I think that unpredictability is what makes moto the greatest form of motorsports.
Copy whats worked from prior years and stop the guess work is what im saying.
4
1
3/17/2019 12:01am
I have decided I have no idea what combination of dirt, weather, and design will make a good track until I have seen them race it...
I have decided I have no idea what combination of dirt, weather, and design will make a good track until I have seen them race it. Just so many factors at play. I, mean, afterwards it is easy to judge.

I think that unpredictability is what makes moto the greatest form of motorsports.
yz133rider wrote:
Copy whats worked from prior years and stop the guess work is what im saying.
Will the dirt composition, humidity, etc be identical to whatever worked?
zehn
Posts
7900
Joined
1/15/2013
Location
Anchorage, AK, USA
3/17/2019 12:02am
yz133rider wrote:
Copy whats worked from prior years and stop the guess work is what im saying.
It's not that simple is what he is saying
2

The Shop

wfo4ever
Posts
789
Joined
8/3/2014
Location
USA
3/17/2019 12:04am
Just another night of Supercross, same old thing over and over. Lots of riders are already riding conservative for the outdoors. Probably test for the outdoors now instead of Suckacross. The races are boring, also lots of riders in the 250 and 450 class I never heard of. Sign of the times.
4
5
yz133rider
Posts
5027
Joined
8/1/2013
Location
Avondale, PA, USA
3/17/2019 12:04am
yz133rider wrote:
Copy whats worked from prior years and stop the guess work is what im saying.
zehn wrote:
It's not that simple is what he is saying
Well basically everyone knows a track full of 90s suck and yet they went with it. And what did we get, a shit track with nearly no passing opportunity or room to really get a run.
10
zac_k3
Posts
582
Joined
3/5/2017
Location
USA
3/17/2019 12:09am
honestly this is why i can’t watch all 17 rounds.. watching the best supercross racers in the world race the same shitty tracks is so boring
13
1
zehn
Posts
7900
Joined
1/15/2013
Location
Anchorage, AK, USA
3/17/2019 12:13am
yz133rider wrote:
Well basically everyone knows a track full of 90s suck and yet they went with it. And what did we get, a shit track with nearly...
Well basically everyone knows a track full of 90s suck and yet they went with it. And what did we get, a shit track with nearly no passing opportunity or room to really get a run.
Hey man, I agree with you. When I saw the track map I knew it was going to be a shit track. Looking at Seattle next week, that tracks looks a lot better than this week
1
1
jeffro503
Posts
27651
Joined
7/22/2007
Location
St Helens, OR, USA
3/17/2019 12:36am
wfo4ever wrote:
Just another night of Supercross, same old thing over and over. Lots of riders are already riding conservative for the outdoors. Probably test for the outdoors...
Just another night of Supercross, same old thing over and over. Lots of riders are already riding conservative for the outdoors. Probably test for the outdoors now instead of Suckacross. The races are boring, also lots of riders in the 250 and 450 class I never heard of. Sign of the times.
What? Until tonight the racing has been incredible all season. I knew from timed qualifying today that this track was going to be terrible. But besides one other round ( can't remember which one it was ) the racing has been awesome , and I'm not near the fan of SX as I am of MX.
3
1
Motofinne
Posts
11624
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
FI
3/17/2019 12:48am
Horrible track. That was obvious when we saw the track map but there is always some kind of chance that the track turns out to be good when they build it.
2
1
Crush
Posts
21153
Joined
4/26/2009
Location
Sydney, AU
3/17/2019 12:58am
Wasn’t great. Bummer as if they changed turn 2 into a 180 and just went end to end it could have been pretty good.

Short whoop sections are a waste too imo, encourages jumping.
tek14
Posts
4974
Joined
1/26/2014
Location
Vantaa, FI
3/17/2019 2:45am
It sure was boring track with big bike slowing down on 90-corners like rookies. Short whoops are useless also and even worse when they are no run up and made from soft clay. Even jump combos were horrible.. how can you get all that in one track...
4
GangGreen
Posts
485
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA
3/17/2019 4:14am
yz133rider stated,"Well basically everyone knows a track full of 90's suck and yet they went with it. And what did we get, a shit track with nearly no passing opportunity or room to really get a run.".
While I agree that the 90 degree turns most often make a one-lined track, EXCESSIVE TRACK GROOMING hurts racing just as bad.
Between the 125cc and 250cc Main Events there were no less than 4 pieces of equipment grooming the tack. I understand grooming the start straight, or a gnarly kicker, but not every rhythm section. Ruts and bumps cause mistakes, increase passing, thus improving racing.
2
2
Motofinne
Posts
11624
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
FI
3/17/2019 4:20am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 5:24am
I wonder what the people that design the tracks think when they design a track like that, i really mean that. I would like to hear from them through a media outlet like Vital, Racer X or Pulp MX. What do they expect out of a track design like that? I think it's weird that we never hear anything from the people that actually has the biggest impact on the races.

They are professional track builders, they have to know that a track like that is going to be bad in 8 out of 10 cases. But maybe they had some idea of how the track would provide good racing and passing opportunities, but we never get to hear their side of the story.
1
Gandorlf
Posts
537
Joined
6/17/2016
Location
GB
3/17/2019 4:22am
Those 90 turns and with kickers in and out, they suck at every track. They never work and end up being one lined, there were too many on-offs too
3
DPR250R
Posts
2187
Joined
9/14/2006
Location
USA
3/17/2019 4:58am
Seemed to me the split lane was a waste. Outside was useless.
7
just James
Posts
1133
Joined
12/20/2012
Location
Wolf Creek, OR, USA
3/17/2019 5:23am
Track certainly wasn't the best, but I do wonder how many of the people complaining about it are big Tomac fans.
To a large extent, I don't mind "one lined" tracks. These are the best riders in the world at this. There is no reason that passing should be easy.
I don't think they all finished in the same order that they entered first turn.
2
1
Ryan598
Posts
124
Joined
12/30/2010
Location
Marion, OH, USA
3/17/2019 5:27am
I said the same thing after practice. Least challenging Supercross track I have ever seen (for these guys). There wasnt one section that the faster guys were doing that everyone there wasn’t doing.

Wonder if it is because of amateur day today? Easy track makes it easier to tame for amateur day?
2
Frank
Posts
642
Joined
12/29/2012
Location
USA
3/17/2019 6:32am
There was plenty of passing going on. 13th -22nd all got lapped. Many of them several times lol.
WCRider
Posts
3129
Joined
8/19/2017
Location
BE
3/17/2019 6:39am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 6:39am
The best way to script a tight championship battle i guess.
2
1
gt80rider
Posts
7381
Joined
4/19/2008
Location
Boulder, CO, USA
3/17/2019 6:56am
We seem to get a bit closer to arenacross every year.... Forty something second lap times... Sigh.... No big obstacles.... Sigh.....
2
akillerwombat
Posts
3211
Joined
10/16/2013
Location
Los Angeles, CA, USA
3/17/2019 7:48am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 7:51am
Just stop. It's not the tracks.

Vital when someone is dominating: God, this is so boring.
Vital when the racing is close: God, this is so boring.


Blaming the tracks is a discredit to how good the top 5 are. Maybe just maybe they're all so close speed wise, and so good skill wise, that it's hard to pass the guy in front of you because you're not fast enough to pass him? Why is that the tracks fault? I mean honestly, Forkner rode the same track last night as everyone else and sure as shit didn't have problems going from 20th to 5th? Hell, Marv almost lapped up to Roczen.
1
8
sk846
Posts
13
Joined
2/24/2019
Location
Northwest, IN, USA
3/17/2019 8:01am
Ryan598 wrote:
I said the same thing after practice. Least challenging Supercross track I have ever seen (for these guys). There wasnt one section that the faster guys...
I said the same thing after practice. Least challenging Supercross track I have ever seen (for these guys). There wasnt one section that the faster guys were doing that everyone there wasn’t doing.

Wonder if it is because of amateur day today? Easy track makes it easier to tame for amateur day?
Some were tripling in before the big triple, you know where Cooper stalled his bike by screwing it up.
cable
Posts
1263
Joined
6/11/2008
Location
Rockford, MI, USA
3/17/2019 8:07am
when the whole field including the lCQ is doing the same obstacles, its like we have a large arena cross track. then it all comes down to traction which the KTM seems best at. less and less passes in corners compared to the 2 stroke days.
1
3/17/2019 9:04am
DPR250R wrote:
Seemed to me the split lane was a waste. Outside was useless.
It seems like all the split lane corner did was take one of the turns that could of been used to make a pass and turn it in to a one line corner.
3
orange_44
Posts
219
Joined
2/15/2018
Location
Fairport, NY, USA
3/17/2019 9:06am
there were like 2 corners where you could make passes or use a different line.
Tarz483
Posts
6344
Joined
2/25/2009
Location
Mankato, MN, USA
3/17/2019 9:25am
It was Bad , But Austin Forkner, found some passing room in his Heat race!
To me the dirt seemed off this year from what is normally really grear dirt , some parts seemed Rock hard , slick and a lot dryer than normal for indy.
I wonder if they did something different than previous years?
I also think SX needs new dirt more often , i dont know how long these stadiums keep it, like how many years, But Supercross is better with new Dirt!
1
Natester551v
Posts
996
Joined
1/11/2015
Location
St. George, UT, USA
3/17/2019 9:36am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 9:37am
Anyone else remember the short-lived Dodger stadium venue (and the insane amount of passing)?? I think it was 2011, but it was cool how many opportunities there were to pass on that track.

This season...not so much. Starting to look like NASCAR out there...the best starters are winning, as opposed to the best overall riders.

I think it's worse in the 450s because they're sooooo much closer in speed (think NFL vs. college football). Forkner is special, but no way he'd be moving up through the field in the 450s the way he is now.

One final comment before I step down off my soapbox - I think a lot of people conflate "close points" with "good racing", when they're not remotely the same. Sure, the points have been tight this year, but am I the only one that sees follow-the-leader (generally) playing out weekend after weekend? It's painful...
3
Tarz483
Posts
6344
Joined
2/25/2009
Location
Mankato, MN, USA
3/17/2019 9:43am
Anyone else remember the short-lived Dodger stadium venue (and the insane amount of passing)?? I think it was 2011, but it was cool how many opportunities...
Anyone else remember the short-lived Dodger stadium venue (and the insane amount of passing)?? I think it was 2011, but it was cool how many opportunities there were to pass on that track.

This season...not so much. Starting to look like NASCAR out there...the best starters are winning, as opposed to the best overall riders.

I think it's worse in the 450s because they're sooooo much closer in speed (think NFL vs. college football). Forkner is special, but no way he'd be moving up through the field in the 450s the way he is now.

One final comment before I step down off my soapbox - I think a lot of people conflate "close points" with "good racing", when they're not remotely the same. Sure, the points have been tight this year, but am I the only one that sees follow-the-leader (generally) playing out weekend after weekend? It's painful...
I see the follow the leader but it hasnt been every weekend
yz133rider
Posts
5027
Joined
8/1/2013
Location
Avondale, PA, USA
3/17/2019 9:53am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2019 9:54am
Tarz483 wrote:
It was Bad , But Austin Forkner, found some passing room in his Heat race! To me the dirt seemed off this year from what is...
It was Bad , But Austin Forkner, found some passing room in his Heat race!
To me the dirt seemed off this year from what is normally really grear dirt , some parts seemed Rock hard , slick and a lot dryer than normal for indy.
I wonder if they did something different than previous years?
I also think SX needs new dirt more often , i dont know how long these stadiums keep it, like how many years, But Supercross is better with new Dirt!
Austin forkner is 140% faster than the guys he passed in his heat. Thats not due to the track lending itself to passes thats forkner being on a completely different level than 3rd-22nd in his heat.

A good track lets guys who are within a 1% of each other battle and mix up lines and get a run on each other, not 4 guys following each other unable to make a pass outside of a mistake or jumping across a corner and going head on into the guy in front to make a pass.
2

Post a reply to: Track was terrible

The Latest