To get “good”

jonahc_42
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2021 7:42pm
How long does it take to get “good” I am currently a mid/back pack C class racer although I started hitting doubles and landing then with success about a month ago. That being said I have been riding for about a year now, I try to make it to the track once a week but it’s hard because of where I live, it’s hard seeing all my friends that have been riding longer than me constantly pass me on the track, so how long did it take for you to get faster on a track and how did you do it?

(I know it’s a hard question to answer because every situation is different)
|
Ryan625
7/2/2021 9:21pm
Every individual is different. Some people get faster than others. Some are more “naturals” than others. I felt like I had to work hard for every bit of speed I ever found. I doubt I’d be anywhere near as fast as I still am if I had of started later, but I started riding at 6, racing at 13, and was riding “B” at nationals by 18. I never turned any heads but I had fun and now I’m a Vet A/B rider.

Stay patient, push it in corners, challenge yourself to brake as late as you can, and if there’s a jump you don’t like, then just don’t hit it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
chump6784
7/2/2021 9:26pm
How many riding schools have you done? After attending my first one and learning the correct tecniques in terms of body position and use of the controls my speed increased exponentially.
28hall
7/2/2021 9:37pm
This is a very open ended question, how good is good? Haha. I can relate I didn’t start riding/racing mx till I was 23 and was a back of the pack c grader. It took me 5 years to get “good” which was A class. The biggest thing is don’t get discouraged that other guys are faster, they have been doing it longer. Every time I went to the track I worked on improving technique and intensity trying to keep up with the faster guys for as long as I could. There’s so much content you can watch online to improve your riding if coaching isn’t an option but number 1 thing is just keep trying sometimes progress is slow and sometimes you make big leaps at a time but it’s all progress
PMR 3
Fantasy
439th
7/2/2021 10:01pm
Stick with it, enjoy, take some classes and watch carefully.

The Shop

dfoerster92
Fantasy
4316th
7/2/2021 10:19pm
That's a hard question to answer, depends on natural talent and how much seat time you get, I went from a 5th place C rider on most weekends at age 14 to winning B class races the following yr and moving to the A class at age 16, but I started riding ALOT starting at age 14
7/2/2021 10:48pm
Get comfortable using the front brake....and then use less clutch and carry speed in the corners. That's the typical progression from C to B....IMO.
CPR
7/3/2021 1:29am
I’m still waiting…..
Day30
7/3/2021 1:37am
I think it’s very doable to go beginner to novice to intermediate in three years. How to do that requires, most importantly, seat time. Learn fundamentals and work on them every time you ride.
Sullivan315
7/3/2021 2:02am
Day30 wrote:
I think it’s very doable to go beginner to novice to intermediate in three years. How to do that requires, most importantly, seat time. Learn fundamentals...
I think it’s very doable to go beginner to novice to intermediate in three years. How to do that requires, most importantly, seat time. Learn fundamentals and work on them every time you ride.
Agreed. There’s no substitution for riding. The more you ride the more comfortable you’ll get, and that leads to being able to push yourself and that’s when you start going faster.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
7/3/2021 2:21am
10,000 hrs is the conventional wisdom to become world class at a complex task. Good is somewhere in between.
I agree the riding classes, bike setup, and seat time are critical. But have fun first.
EngIceDave
7/3/2021 3:45am
You're probably already good.

I have learned that even the slowest racer is almost always faster than anyone who has never raced.

Now you need to work on "better"
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
7/3/2021 3:47am
Unfortunately only riding once/wk is going to take a while. Keep a positive attitude and take some classes if you can. If you have a buddy that is a little faster than you try to go to the practice track with him and have him chase you down. Work on holding him off for a lap. Then 2, etc. Also practice starts. If you get a good start you are going to try harder to stay up front then if you go into the first corner last each time
sandtrack315
7/3/2021 6:18am
I started riding at 13 and by 18 I was an average B class rider. This was with riding at least 3 days a week and training almost everyday. I peaked then speed wise but my technique has improved a lot since then. I’m 33 now and can still go pretty decent.
EngIceDave
7/3/2021 6:40am
BTW, not everyone wins and that's OK.

Race those around you. Don't think you "aren't good" because you're not battling with the guys up front or even one of your buddies. We're all different and process differently.

Point is, have fun and race those in front of you.
RPM68
7/3/2021 8:36am
I raced 80 beginner for 4-5 years (from age 8-13) because I raced XR100's and trail bikes and stuff. My brother was the fast kid so I was just all about the fun. When I got older I started riding pitbikes everyday in a little back yard circle track, it made me wayyyy faster just from getting in seat time of some sort. Just ride more my man!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
7/3/2021 9:16am
Biggest thing is just have fun and work on technique. Speed and things will come with time.

For me, I have a mental block that wont allow myself to push passed a certain point. I’m to worried about hitting the ground and not being able to go to work and support my family. I don’t want to get hurt and I know how much it’s held me back when it comes to speed and all that.
I have other friends that don’t have that and doing have more speed than me but have put themselves into the ground a lot more than I have.
FWYT
7/3/2021 10:15am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2021 10:27am
Disclosure- ain't that fast, but I have fun and keep it safe.

It takes a while. Don't rush it because mistakes can be painful.

Maybe instead of thinking "go faster", think "bike handling skills". When you have more control, then you can
add more speed, safely. I always think back to a friend of mine that was a local pro crit bicycle racer. Part of his practice, and how he started out new racers, was to go to a big grassy park in the morning while it was wet and ride around. It was like riding on ice. Good for the skills and not a lot of damage when you would fall. I always thought that was brilliant.

Think about taking some classes to build a SOLID foundation. You don't want to sacrifice technique
for speed. When you build good technique and skills, the speed will naturally happen. Keep it safe and have fun!

Diet and exercise are also important. Don't have to be fanatical, but you gotta have a decent base line.
TheCRKid
7/3/2021 11:37am
You are already good , you show up and race !!
Spudnut
7/3/2021 12:47pm
Don’t compare yourself to people that have been riding for much longer than you, you will get better just keep going, having fun and trying to be a little better than last week.
DYE
7/3/2021 1:54pm
I’m a pretty quick woods racer and decent at mx. This year I said I wanted to get “good” at mx. Just don’t rush anything especially on a track you don’t know. I’m out 6 months and was riding the best I ever have
Spudnut
7/3/2021 2:02pm
DYE wrote:
I’m a pretty quick woods racer and decent at mx. This year I said I wanted to get “good” at mx. Just don’t rush anything especially...
I’m a pretty quick woods racer and decent at mx. This year I said I wanted to get “good” at mx. Just don’t rush anything especially on a track you don’t know. I’m out 6 months and was riding the best I ever have
That doesn’t look very fun! Cheers to a quick recovery, I’ve got 4 months left from a blood clot
DYE
7/3/2021 2:11pm
DYE wrote:
I’m a pretty quick woods racer and decent at mx. This year I said I wanted to get “good” at mx. Just don’t rush anything especially...
Spudnut wrote:
That doesn’t look very fun! Cheers to a quick recovery, I’ve got 4 months left from a blood clot
Yeah doc said he doesn’t see many grade 5 separations like this. Get the plate out in October and can start recovery. First big injury it sucks being laid up like this. Here’s to a fast recovery to you too brother!
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
7/3/2021 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2021 3:10pm
As been stated before, if possible go to a riding school learn proper technique and then practice the proper technique as often as you can, the sped and trophies will follow.
But above all don't worry about the speed or "getting good" have fun because that's why we ride.
crowe660
Fantasy
4066th
7/3/2021 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2021 3:21pm
I made my biggest gains when I learned how to turn. I would usually ride once or twice on the weekends, and then once mid week I’d work on nothing but corner speed. Learn to love turn tracks.

The difference between C class and B is in the corners. Or at least it was when I raced a lot.
7/3/2021 3:38pm
DYE wrote:
Heal up soon and get back on that ATV.
DYE
7/3/2021 3:52pm
DYE wrote:
Heal up soon and get back on that ATV.
Lol I was told not to mention motorcycle for insurance purposes. So I rolled an atv maintaining my mtb track 🤷‍♂️
PFitzG38
7/3/2021 6:57pm
About 5 to 10 broken bones. Any less and you have some work to do, any more and you should be pretty good.

Post a reply to: To get “good”

The Latest