The differences between Star & Factory.

MXMattii
Running a Japanese Factory team is mostly a big hassle because if you have a solution for a problem they come up with 5 different ways to fix the problem and then they are saying: "OK try your way". That is for example why Clément Desalle his Honda never had false neutrals and Marc De Reuver and Kevin Strijbos where both out for almost a full season due to false neutrals. They couldn't rely on there bike... And after four months or something they came to LS Honda to ask what they did to CD25 his bike...

Same with KEMEA and Standing Construct both were on Yamaha but KEMEA was more like the real factory team riding with Rinaldi and GTYR parts and Standing Construct had the freedom to do all in house. They had a problem that the bike sometimes switched off, just out of nothing. Almost two GP's the factory wanted to fix it by their own and they ended up with Brent Van Doninck crashing at a local Belgian race where they tested a new "fix". Then Standing Construct shared the solution...

But to come to the conclusion: Is that why Star is now winning a championship and the Yamaha Factory team couldn't. Or was there more to it?
|
CPR
9/4/2021 9:32pm
The McCarty Pig
block75
9/4/2021 9:56pm
Factory teams can be quite political when it comes to making changes and putting different things on bikes, but Is it a case of the Factory teams needing to listen more to their riders and not do things the way they think is right and give each rider the bike the feel is right for them?
Crush
9/5/2021 3:53am
Downunder wrote:
Factory didn't have DF14.
They did have AP though and he for sure has looked like his potential could be realized since they took over.

Makes you wonder what Bam, Coop and any of the other recent factory blue riders might have done if corporate had their head out their ass.

The Shop

9/5/2021 6:42am
Downunder wrote:
Factory didn't have DF14.
But they had the current SX champ, and a guy who has been on the podium multiple times this season in AP7.
kb228
9/5/2021 6:42am
Stsr actually tried to win
mxtech1
9/5/2021 6:46am
Multiple sources involved with the team have mentioned Star has more flexibility with what parts can be ran, they develop much faster due to less layers of complexity, and most of all they are prioritized to win at all costs rather than pushing the corporate agenda.
captmoto
9/5/2021 9:42am
I'm just spitballin' here but I think Star said "fuck it, run it", what is corporate gonna say when they're winning, don't do that?
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
9/5/2021 2:39pm
MXMattii wrote:
Running a Japanese Factory team is mostly a big hassle because if you have a solution for a problem they come up with 5 different ways...
Running a Japanese Factory team is mostly a big hassle because if you have a solution for a problem they come up with 5 different ways to fix the problem and then they are saying: "OK try your way". That is for example why Clément Desalle his Honda never had false neutrals and Marc De Reuver and Kevin Strijbos where both out for almost a full season due to false neutrals. They couldn't rely on there bike... And after four months or something they came to LS Honda to ask what they did to CD25 his bike...

Same with KEMEA and Standing Construct both were on Yamaha but KEMEA was more like the real factory team riding with Rinaldi and GTYR parts and Standing Construct had the freedom to do all in house. They had a problem that the bike sometimes switched off, just out of nothing. Almost two GP's the factory wanted to fix it by their own and they ended up with Brent Van Doninck crashing at a local Belgian race where they tested a new "fix". Then Standing Construct shared the solution...

But to come to the conclusion: Is that why Star is now winning a championship and the Yamaha Factory team couldn't. Or was there more to it?
pretty much. reed has been vocal about yamaha's rigid guide lines on building a race bike

Yamaha is notorious for keeping the factory team close to what the 'factory wants' and
the factory wants certain parts (such as gytr) or will only allow certain mods ( as they want to showcase their production stuff being the 'best') and these parts dont equate to the best bike for a rider or a better bike overall.

based on Star vs Factory, they've built a better bike overall including shaving a lot of weight which on a factory bike is insane in my mind. Honda/ktm would be ashamed if they were leaving something on the table in terms of bike performance especially something like weight which is huge on a 450.
sesker15
9/5/2021 3:15pm
The difference is the people working at Star
reded301
9/5/2021 3:43pm
At least 10 pounds. Not that it makes any difference.....
On the flip side, there were two Suzuki’s in the top 10 yesterday.
robotsfrom
9/6/2021 1:24pm
AP also said on the Gypsey Tails podcast that Factory Yamaha would never let them ride a stock bike. They would get a full factory bike and have to try and find a setting from that, and it sounded in the interview that the factory bikes had so many changes already it was near impossible to pin point where the changes need to be made.

I believe he mentioned that Star let them start from scratch on stock bike and make a bike perfect for them.
aeffertz
9/6/2021 1:56pm
I think the thing I like the most is that the common moniker for the YZ450 was that it was “too much bike/too powerful” and that it needed to be detuned or run a stock motor for it to be rideable. Star Racing goes “Nah, we’re actually going to make it at fast as we possibly can.”

Props to both the team and Dylan! That bike looks amazing under him.
btroxler
9/7/2021 10:21am
The People @ STAR made the difference. I read an article where they interviewed CR22 and one of his biggest frustrations his last year at Factory Yamaha was McCarty would not let them change what needed to be changed. CR22 and other riders were telling them what needed to change and he would not let them and I bet that was the same mindset and culture up until last year.

Bobby Regan wants to WIN and will spend and do whatever it takes to make it happen for his riders.
gt80rider
9/7/2021 10:30am
Star = Gives a darn

Factory yammerhammer = too big, too many meetings, not remotely in the trenches, takes far too long to respond to rider changes, didn't even seem to care what their high paid factory guys wanted = didn't really care about winning
LungButter
9/7/2021 10:43am
reded301 wrote:
On the flip side, there were two Suzuki’s in the top 10 yesterday.
Such a deep field right now too.....
davistld01
9/7/2021 10:58am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2021 11:03am
sesker15 wrote:
The biggest difference is the money at Star...and the people there that are 110% commited to win, no matter the cost. You'd think Factory Yamaha would've had that mindset too...but nah.

That scenario sounds like what most expected Joe Gibbs Racing to be, especially after all the hype involved around their unlimited finances & rumored ability to create parts and do whatever they wanted to a particular bike.
9/7/2021 11:22am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2021 11:31am
sesker15 wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
The biggest difference is the money at Star...and the people there that are 110% commited to win, no matter the cost. You'd think Factory Yamaha would've...
The biggest difference is the money at Star...and the people there that are 110% commited to win, no matter the cost. You'd think Factory Yamaha would've had that mindset too...but nah.

That scenario sounds like what most expected Joe Gibbs Racing to be, especially after all the hype involved around their unlimited finances & rumored ability to create parts and do whatever they wanted to a particular bike.
To be fair, they may have had other structural issues, but I never heard the type of complaints about JGR with regard to management rigidity or deafness to rider feedback that have been percolating about factory Yamaha.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
9/7/2021 12:10pm
aeffertz wrote:
I think the thing I like the most is that the common moniker for the YZ450 was that it was “too much bike/too powerful” and that...
I think the thing I like the most is that the common moniker for the YZ450 was that it was “too much bike/too powerful” and that it needed to be detuned or run a stock motor for it to be rideable. Star Racing goes “Nah, we’re actually going to make it at fast as we possibly can.”

Props to both the team and Dylan! That bike looks amazing under him.
Factory was reported as too much because they always tried to have guys run an engine with a ton of power.

Star engines had power but in interviews with Dylan on Pulp recently he started running a softer engine as the season progressed.

The chassis has been noted to not really agree with more power than what stock puts out
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
9/7/2021 12:39pm
At Yamaha the engineers and Team managers thought they knew what worked even though they were not the ones who race the bike they had their egos telling the riders that they are the problem and not the bike, its been going on since the 70s. Glad to see Star cram it down the Yamaha factory's throats.
aeffertz
9/7/2021 12:59pm
Factory was reported as too much because they always tried to have guys run an engine with a ton of power. Star engines had power but...
Factory was reported as too much because they always tried to have guys run an engine with a ton of power.

Star engines had power but in interviews with Dylan on Pulp recently he started running a softer engine as the season progressed.

The chassis has been noted to not really agree with more power than what stock puts out
That’s what was reported on the Factory Yamaha team but I’ll have to find the recent interview with someone at Star Racing with what I’m talking about. IIRC, they said they made the fastest bike they could and then built the bike around that.
Payup_199
9/8/2021 5:34am
aeffertz wrote:
That’s what was reported on the Factory Yamaha team but I’ll have to find the recent interview with someone at Star Racing with what I’m talking...
That’s what was reported on the Factory Yamaha team but I’ll have to find the recent interview with someone at Star Racing with what I’m talking about. IIRC, they said they made the fastest bike they could and then built the bike around that.
it was on Mondays Pulp show. they called the Star suspension guy. That is what he said.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
9/8/2021 7:02am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2021 7:05am
Keith McCarty
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1724th
9/8/2021 8:09am
Payup_199 wrote:
it was on Mondays Pulp show. they called the Star suspension guy. That is what he said.
They spoke to Ricki Gilmour, he is a factory KYB tech I believe.

The interview with him was great listen, he touched (vaguely) on some of the modifications they made to the chassis and their suspension setups.
Yeti831
9/8/2021 8:25am
You’d think a factory team would let you run what made you better on bike of your choosing.

I mean, isn’t that one of the main perks of being on a factory team or am I just blissfully ignorant?
aeffertz
9/8/2021 8:35am
They did touch on that a little on this weeks PulpMX show but Weege did a Zoom call with Jeremy Coker recently where they discussed more about the bike and how they developed it.

A different approach for sure but it seems to be working for them just fine!
Darrin Willis
9/8/2021 8:57am
How many times do the vitards have to repeat the same shiiiite." Factory yamaha wouldn't let so and so change anything " Jesus christ the amount of repeat shit on here is insane.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
9/8/2021 9:50am
How many times do the vitards have to repeat the same shiiiite." Factory yamaha wouldn't let so and so change anything " Jesus christ the amount...
How many times do the vitards have to repeat the same shiiiite." Factory yamaha wouldn't let so and so change anything " Jesus christ the amount of repeat shit on here is insane.
Its called bench racing. You can go contribute at ronronmx or something if your not happy n00b

Post a reply to: The differences between Star & Factory.

The Latest