Safety

Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 8:58am
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down.
A foot peg to the spine can kill. A foot peg to the abdomen can kill.
Road racers wear leather not just for road rash, but also for impacts. Neck protection reaching around the helmet. Abdomen protection. In motocross ventilation is needed, why not protection to key areas allowing ventilation?
In Australia body armour is mandatory. mx/sx riders with no upper body protection will kill our sport. It is not just about comfort.
Bikes with too much power and ability for amateurs is another topic.
It’s a great sport. Hopefully it won’t become a death sport
2
28
|
euffeh
Posts
31
Joined
9/3/2018
Location
SE
2/18/2020 3:32am
Kind of like brain injuries in american football. Don't see that sport dying out anytime soon.

Maybe that's "apples and oranges" though.
1
2/18/2020 3:37am
euffeh wrote:
Kind of like brain injuries in american football. Don't see that sport dying out anytime soon.

Maybe that's "apples and oranges" though.
You are right mate. But I coped a foot peg to the back of my helmet. Inch lower and it would have severed my spine. Never been the same. Wish it had of been a knee 🤣
1
2
2/18/2020 4:19am
Rip Andrew McFarlane, Jono porter, Peter Melton, and on and on...at least they were adults and could say “I died doing what I loved”. Children can’t make that choice.
3
wicksy85
Posts
604
Joined
1/5/2011
Location
Mackay, QLD, AU
2/18/2020 4:26am
You can also die crossing the road too.....
2
2

The Shop

arunkxf
Posts
81
Joined
5/16/2012
Location
London, GB
2/18/2020 6:23am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 9:12am
Its got to be a freak accident for that to happen.

I agree wear as much protection as you can to limit the risk. But even with body armour the impact would be enough to do damage.

Although, I cant get on with big bulky body armours, I feel in as much danger, I cant move about on the bike as they're restrictive... I'm going to try the modern roost protectors with better back support etc... to see if I can get on with them this season.

arunkxf
Posts
81
Joined
5/16/2012
Location
London, GB
2/18/2020 6:31am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 9:12am
Also, that would mean everyone should wear the best helmets, boots, neck braces, knee braces etc... a lot of people wont be able to afford all that?
Tumblin
Posts
1206
Joined
7/27/2011
Location
Jacksonville, OR, USA
2/18/2020 6:35am
Way back in the early 70's our club would enforce protective wrap/tape over any sharp points protruding from the motorcycle. Chain adjusters, axle cutter pins taped fat, broken off levers not allowed. Of course this was Flat track, TT and the moto guys would all scoff at our process.
Common sense seems there should be some limit set or safety mod developed to the scalpel pegs have become.
kb228
Posts
6153
Joined
1/31/2018
Location
Mansfield, OH, USA
2/18/2020 7:32am
Injuries/death happen when its your time for it to happen regardless of what you wear.

Going from riding armored on my sportbike to riding in mx gear is certainly weird. MX clothing offers literally zero protection. I dont understand why theres no D30 at all. Why not put D30 on the knees in pants or shoulders of shirts? Gear these days makes me wonder why i dont just stop spending money on it and wear stretchy jeans and a tshirt. All you need is boots and a helmet right?
2/18/2020 7:39am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2020 7:40am
Bro - if you willingly choose to propel yourself on a 55 horsepower two-wheeled dirt bike, you've pretty much already voided your life warranty. Better to just enjoy it and not worry about a goddamn footpeg to the throat.
15
2/18/2020 7:46am
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down. A foot peg to the spine can kill. A...
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down.
A foot peg to the spine can kill. A foot peg to the abdomen can kill.
Road racers wear leather not just for road rash, but also for impacts. Neck protection reaching around the helmet. Abdomen protection. In motocross ventilation is needed, why not protection to key areas allowing ventilation?
In Australia body armour is mandatory. mx/sx riders with no upper body protection will kill our sport. It is not just about comfort.
Bikes with too much power and ability for amateurs is another topic.
It’s a great sport. Hopefully it won’t become a death sport
The coroners department will shut the sport down?

I'd be interested to hear your theories on the coroner's department stopping the inevitability of death.
2/18/2020 4:21pm
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down. A foot peg to the spine can kill. A...
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down.
A foot peg to the spine can kill. A foot peg to the abdomen can kill.
Road racers wear leather not just for road rash, but also for impacts. Neck protection reaching around the helmet. Abdomen protection. In motocross ventilation is needed, why not protection to key areas allowing ventilation?
In Australia body armour is mandatory. mx/sx riders with no upper body protection will kill our sport. It is not just about comfort.
Bikes with too much power and ability for amateurs is another topic.
It’s a great sport. Hopefully it won’t become a death sport
The coroners department will shut the sport down?

I'd be interested to hear your theories on the coroner's department stopping the inevitability of death.
They got trikes banned
1
ledger
Posts
3669
Joined
1/17/2013
Location
USA
2/18/2020 4:50pm
I would like to see the kidney belt become popular again...not for the kidneys, but for simple safety reasons...some protection is better than none.
2
JustMX
Posts
5348
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
2/18/2020 6:05pm
They got trikes banned
Um,

They needed to be...
2
2/18/2020 6:23pm
They got trikes banned
JustMX wrote:
Um,

They needed to be...
I was trying to initiate an intelligent thread about safety and someone questioned how the coroner’s department can ban a sport and I answered... wait this is vitalmx... carry on
1
1
2/18/2020 6:29pm
I still wear a Six Six One Pressure Suit every time I ride. In 2000 I went down on a practice track and the shale surface shredded my jersey and a ton of little pieces were embedded in my back. As soon as I healed I ordered one & I've been wearing it ever since. EVS made a similar one.
I have to get to work on Mondays & need to meet my adult responsibilities, so the more protection the better for me.
Brent
Posts
5901
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Temecula, CA, USA
2/18/2020 6:47pm


5
Ozy
Posts
2279
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
2/18/2020 11:17pm
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down. A foot peg to the spine can kill. A...
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down.
A foot peg to the spine can kill. A foot peg to the abdomen can kill.
Road racers wear leather not just for road rash, but also for impacts. Neck protection reaching around the helmet. Abdomen protection. In motocross ventilation is needed, why not protection to key areas allowing ventilation?
In Australia body armour is mandatory. mx/sx riders with no upper body protection will kill our sport. It is not just about comfort.
Bikes with too much power and ability for amateurs is another topic.
It’s a great sport. Hopefully it won’t become a death sport
We have been debating this exact topic online since MikeeeP's fresh dirt and Bushwood in the late 90's.

can more be done to promote safety? Sure but the powers that be do not all share the same interests and goals.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Over the years some great ideas have been proposed but nothing ever comes of it.


The ariel circus of supercross should never be taken lightly.It takes years of practice on USA Designed tracks . . . . "May the odds always be in your favor . . ." More than one European has wrecked their body coming over here to race. Sad. Hope the French boy makes a complete recovery
yz133rider
Posts
5027
Joined
8/1/2013
Location
Avondale, PA, USA
2/18/2020 11:28pm
kb228 wrote:
Injuries/death happen when its your time for it to happen regardless of what you wear. Going from riding armored on my sportbike to riding in mx...
Injuries/death happen when its your time for it to happen regardless of what you wear.

Going from riding armored on my sportbike to riding in mx gear is certainly weird. MX clothing offers literally zero protection. I dont understand why theres no D30 at all. Why not put D30 on the knees in pants or shoulders of shirts? Gear these days makes me wonder why i dont just stop spending money on it and wear stretchy jeans and a tshirt. All you need is boots and a helmet right?
I agree. I also dont see how the hell a jersey and pants can cost $1-200 and offers nearly zero protection. Its literally just a fashion and comfort thing. And not wearing more protection is a cool guy thing. This whole sports very bizaare in so many ways lol.
ledger
Posts
3669
Joined
1/17/2013
Location
USA
2/19/2020 12:05am
Herlings looks like he's wearing shoulder pads of a linebacker...smart thing to do when you're running 60+ mph.
arunkxf
Posts
81
Joined
5/16/2012
Location
London, GB
2/19/2020 1:04am
ledger wrote:
Herlings looks like he's wearing shoulder pads of a linebacker...smart thing to do when you're running 60+ mph.
This got me thinking, knee braces are huge and worn by most if not all pro riders, I've noticed they're wearing more body armour too.

But neck braces, I don't see many people wearing them. Even riders that used to e.g. Dungey, Herlings AC.
IWreckALot
Posts
8677
Joined
3/12/2011
Location
Fort Worth, TX, USA
2/19/2020 11:31am
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down. A foot peg to the spine can kill. A...
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down.
A foot peg to the spine can kill. A foot peg to the abdomen can kill.
Road racers wear leather not just for road rash, but also for impacts. Neck protection reaching around the helmet. Abdomen protection. In motocross ventilation is needed, why not protection to key areas allowing ventilation?
In Australia body armour is mandatory. mx/sx riders with no upper body protection will kill our sport. It is not just about comfort.
Bikes with too much power and ability for amateurs is another topic.
It’s a great sport. Hopefully it won’t become a death sport
They could just make everyone ride without foot pegs.
3
O&GDriller
Posts
554
Joined
7/16/2019
Location
Chattanooga, TN, USA
2/19/2020 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 12:57pm
ledger wrote:
Herlings looks like he's wearing shoulder pads of a linebacker...smart thing to do when you're running 60+ mph.
arunkxf wrote:
This got me thinking, knee braces are huge and worn by most if not all pro riders, I've noticed they're wearing more body armour too. But...
This got me thinking, knee braces are huge and worn by most if not all pro riders, I've noticed they're wearing more body armour too.

But neck braces, I don't see many people wearing them. Even riders that used to e.g. Dungey, Herlings AC.
NOT trying to start a territorial urination contest but fewer Pro's are wearing knee braces UNLESS they're sponsored/paid by the manufacturer to wear them. There's never been a definitive, unbiased, SX/MX specific technical study done to determine if the actually provide additional protection. Now I realize a good number of riders and Pros wear knee braces that aren't sponsored but their popularity is waning.

A recent unbiased, technical study was posted on Vital just the last week or so that analyzed the benefits, or lack thereof, of knee braces on NFL players. NFL lineman knee injuries are quite often very similar in nature to SX/MX injuries. The NFL study showed the knee braces were ineffective in reducing injury. Basically snake oil...

Knee braces are going the way of neck braces which have also been determined to me ineffective in preventing or reducing injury.

REMEMBER, I'm just sharing what I read. Regardless, I realize this is Vital so I've just donned my flame suit which will offer emotional protection to the onslaught I think is headed my way.
arunkxf
Posts
81
Joined
5/16/2012
Location
London, GB
2/20/2020 1:31am
ledger wrote:
Herlings looks like he's wearing shoulder pads of a linebacker...smart thing to do when you're running 60+ mph.
arunkxf wrote:
This got me thinking, knee braces are huge and worn by most if not all pro riders, I've noticed they're wearing more body armour too. But...
This got me thinking, knee braces are huge and worn by most if not all pro riders, I've noticed they're wearing more body armour too.

But neck braces, I don't see many people wearing them. Even riders that used to e.g. Dungey, Herlings AC.
O&GDriller wrote:
NOT trying to start a territorial urination contest but fewer Pro's are wearing knee braces UNLESS they're sponsored/paid by the manufacturer to wear them. There's never...
NOT trying to start a territorial urination contest but fewer Pro's are wearing knee braces UNLESS they're sponsored/paid by the manufacturer to wear them. There's never been a definitive, unbiased, SX/MX specific technical study done to determine if the actually provide additional protection. Now I realize a good number of riders and Pros wear knee braces that aren't sponsored but their popularity is waning.

A recent unbiased, technical study was posted on Vital just the last week or so that analyzed the benefits, or lack thereof, of knee braces on NFL players. NFL lineman knee injuries are quite often very similar in nature to SX/MX injuries. The NFL study showed the knee braces were ineffective in reducing injury. Basically snake oil...

Knee braces are going the way of neck braces which have also been determined to me ineffective in preventing or reducing injury.

REMEMBER, I'm just sharing what I read. Regardless, I realize this is Vital so I've just donned my flame suit which will offer emotional protection to the onslaught I think is headed my way.
Interesting that, now thinking about it.

There needs to be more research in this. With technology nowadays companies should be able to produce backing/ support for the products.
1
2/20/2020 1:40am
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down. A foot peg to the spine can kill. A...
If enough children/teens are put in wheelchairs or die the coroner’s department will shut this sport down.
A foot peg to the spine can kill. A foot peg to the abdomen can kill.
Road racers wear leather not just for road rash, but also for impacts. Neck protection reaching around the helmet. Abdomen protection. In motocross ventilation is needed, why not protection to key areas allowing ventilation?
In Australia body armour is mandatory. mx/sx riders with no upper body protection will kill our sport. It is not just about comfort.
Bikes with too much power and ability for amateurs is another topic.
It’s a great sport. Hopefully it won’t become a death sport
Ozy wrote:
We have been debating this exact topic online since MikeeeP's fresh dirt and Bushwood in the late 90's. can more be done to promote safety? Sure...
We have been debating this exact topic online since MikeeeP's fresh dirt and Bushwood in the late 90's.

can more be done to promote safety? Sure but the powers that be do not all share the same interests and goals.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Over the years some great ideas have been proposed but nothing ever comes of it.


The ariel circus of supercross should never be taken lightly.It takes years of practice on USA Designed tracks . . . . "May the odds always be in your favor . . ." More than one European has wrecked their body coming over here to race. Sad. Hope the French boy makes a complete recovery
It’s a worthwhile cause. Someone with influence in the industry needs to drive this
2/20/2020 1:43am
arunkxf wrote:
Its got to be a freak accident for that to happen. I agree wear as much protection as you can to limit the risk. But even...
Its got to be a freak accident for that to happen.

I agree wear as much protection as you can to limit the risk. But even with body armour the impact would be enough to do damage.

Although, I cant get on with big bulky body armours, I feel in as much danger, I cant move about on the bike as they're restrictive... I'm going to try the modern roost protectors with better back support etc... to see if I can get on with them this season.

Not a freak accident. Young man died in us sx quite a few years back from foot peg to the back of the neck. Ask Davi millsaps and DeCoster about abdomen injuries. Please keep the discussion going
2/20/2020 1:48am
arunkxf wrote:
This got me thinking, knee braces are huge and worn by most if not all pro riders, I've noticed they're wearing more body armour too. But...
This got me thinking, knee braces are huge and worn by most if not all pro riders, I've noticed they're wearing more body armour too.

But neck braces, I don't see many people wearing them. Even riders that used to e.g. Dungey, Herlings AC.
O&GDriller wrote:
NOT trying to start a territorial urination contest but fewer Pro's are wearing knee braces UNLESS they're sponsored/paid by the manufacturer to wear them. There's never...
NOT trying to start a territorial urination contest but fewer Pro's are wearing knee braces UNLESS they're sponsored/paid by the manufacturer to wear them. There's never been a definitive, unbiased, SX/MX specific technical study done to determine if the actually provide additional protection. Now I realize a good number of riders and Pros wear knee braces that aren't sponsored but their popularity is waning.

A recent unbiased, technical study was posted on Vital just the last week or so that analyzed the benefits, or lack thereof, of knee braces on NFL players. NFL lineman knee injuries are quite often very similar in nature to SX/MX injuries. The NFL study showed the knee braces were ineffective in reducing injury. Basically snake oil...

Knee braces are going the way of neck braces which have also been determined to me ineffective in preventing or reducing injury.

REMEMBER, I'm just sharing what I read. Regardless, I realize this is Vital so I've just donned my flame suit which will offer emotional protection to the onslaught I think is headed my way.
arunkxf wrote:
Interesting that, now thinking about it. There needs to be more research in this. With technology nowadays companies should be able to produce backing/ support for...
Interesting that, now thinking about it.

There needs to be more research in this. With technology nowadays companies should be able to produce backing/ support for the products.
I didn’t wear knee braces until I blew out my knees. With knee braces I (probably) wouldn’t have blown my knees. I definitely would have less shoulder injuries If I wore body armour with shoulder cups. Please keep this discussion going.
tek14
Posts
4972
Joined
1/26/2014
Location
Vantaa, FI
2/20/2020 1:55am
Back/upperbody protection has come mandatory last years and they are checking that everyone have proper one before gate drop. Seems most of pro riders are not using it. I dont wanna take my own bike handlebar to ribs or foot peg to my back let alone someone riding over me under protected.
cody41
Posts
518
Joined
4/25/2013
Location
Miami, FL, USA
2/20/2020 4:12am
I don’t think the OP rides, and if so, he probably should stay off a bike. The mind is way to obsessed with the downsides of everything, which will turn thoughts into reality. It’s a dangerous sport, and proper technique along with a sanity check will greatly eliminate those situations.
3
1
gt80rider
Posts
7367
Joined
4/19/2008
Location
Boulder, CO, USA
2/20/2020 5:45am
We still don't mandate goggles, LOL, like our sport cares about safety...

And ya, a gate filled with razor sharp pegs is like the worst idea ever too....

2/20/2020 6:07am
https://youtu.be/0J2jZHSE4dU

A version of this that inflates when the riders body becomes parallel with the ground (feet over head) would seemingly be very helpful in a spinal type injury where the rider ejects head first into the ground/another jump


I’ve been saying that we need a version of this implemented for 4 years now.
1

Post a reply to: Safety

The Latest