#MakeUp2Mud

akmx17
2/18/2019 12:07am Edited Date/Time 5/21/2019 2:20pm
I don't really mind this segment, sometimes I actually quite enjoy it.

But I don't get why they don't cover the girl stars of our support like Hannah Hodges, Let's see what Ashley is up too, let's talk about Patterson's career, Vikki Golden, etc.

I feel like there is so much content from really talented women in our sport and they aren't tapping into it.
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
2/18/2019 12:21am
Ashley is getting married.
Jrewing
2/18/2019 3:08am
I love chicks that ride hard
Preston412
2/18/2019 5:30am
Hannah was featured when the series first started airing.
Ashley was at my store a few months back and I saw her the other day, she has been doing MX schools and just hanging around.
2/18/2019 7:07am
I think it's stupid. Would much rather they show the KTM jr's race. Or have a segment on the standout youngsters to watch for. Get fans interested in certain riders early in their career.

The Shop

Tarz483
Fantasy
344th
2/18/2019 11:15am
I think it's stupid. Would much rather they show the KTM jr's race. Or have a segment on the standout youngsters to watch for. Get fans...
I think it's stupid. Would much rather they show the KTM jr's race. Or have a segment on the standout youngsters to watch for. Get fans interested in certain riders early in their career.
I never really thought about before but now that you say it why wouldn't they show the Junior race or as much of it as possible it seems that would do a lot to get young kids interested imo
Beeby
2/18/2019 11:23am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 11:23am
Make up to Mud is a Toyota segment and part of their campaign in the sport. Toyota is a sponsor, so I guess they get their time slot. KTM race is a KTM/Feld thing.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
425th
2/18/2019 11:35am
It’s a Toyota sponsored segment that is trying to connect to 50% of the population to let them know that women of all levels can be involved in motorcycle riding and that Motorcycles aren’t scary.
yz133rider
2/18/2019 11:38am
It’s a Toyota sponsored segment that is trying to connect to 50% of the population to let them know that women of all levels can be...
It’s a Toyota sponsored segment that is trying to connect to 50% of the population to let them know that women of all levels can be involved in motorcycle riding and that Motorcycles aren’t scary.
Close
Its a corny Toyota segment to try to sell more toyotas. They dont give a fuck about motorcycles.
mxer15
2/18/2019 11:42am
akmx17 wrote:
I don't really mind this segment, sometimes I actually quite enjoy it. But I don't get why they don't cover the girl stars of our support...

But I don't get why they don't cover the girl stars of our support like Hannah Hodges, Let's see what Ashley is up too, let's talk about Patterson's career, Vikki Golden, etc.

I feel like there is so much content from really talented women in our sport and they aren't tapping into it.
Agreed half these girls ride foo foo bikes and do the real riders a disservice
twizzler
2/18/2019 11:47am
Toyota has a purpose in this that hopefully benefits the moto industry as well as truck sales. More people that get interested in riding buy bikes and gear. Then may need a vehicle to haul their bike. Some may buy trucks, some my choose Toyota trucks. There's Toyotas winning purpose.
level
2/18/2019 11:48am
I like it. I like hearing the stories.
2/18/2019 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 12:11pm
akmx17 wrote:
I don't really mind this segment, sometimes I actually quite enjoy it. But I don't get why they don't cover the girl stars of our support...

mxer15 wrote:
We need a TON more people in the sport like this and less "racers"

If you want to watch segments on good riders, i don't know, maybe watch the FUCKING PRO RACE ON TV that your already watching and ignore the 2 minutes of air time the m2m segment is over the 3 hour broadcast???

Toyota markets to our segment because our segment NEEDS a truckto GO riding. If more people rode - more people would want a truck - win win.

This whole subject has been heavily debated many times on this forum. Sucks to re visit it each time. But if 10 percent of the woman who watched sx decided to go buy motorcyles form this makeup to mud segment - we'd have a MASSIVE increase in bike sales. The male involvement to riding is already maxed out.

THAT is the whole point. motorcycles right now are somewhere along 95-98 percent male. and about 50 percent of them ride worse than those woman on TV. For all the hotshots on this forum who act like they can ride - then get whooped at local tracks by the caliber girls that made up make2mud last year...

Most people on here if video'd for their own segment - would look like shit. The top pro's being the comparison basis makes decent riders look like total shit.

Hell a 40th place outdoor pro - smokes everyone on here (maybe 1 percent that's not true?) and looks pathetically slow vs the 1st place outdoor pro.
So a mid pack local c rider or even a loretta's C rider (who everyone bitches about) - looks terribly slow.

Anyways - we COULD focus on top amateurs for a TV segment - and get what out of it? Press for the kid who already has sponsors and a factory ride?
No increase in viewership?
No possibility of expanding market?

Our do we focus on the non factory 5-10 place amateurs? This would piss of the factory kids and sponsors who rightfully deserve the coverage for THEIR sponsors....

I think more personality pieces on our pro's would be good - but they have been reluctant to do the segments (feld has asked)

Tarz483
Fantasy
344th
2/18/2019 12:14pm
level wrote:
I like everything dirt bike related and i like the Makeup2mud segments personally, but as far as growing to sport i think there are things that could be more beneficial, but i wasnt thinking specifically about selling Toyotas, if i was just trying to sell Toyota trucks i would do a segment every week where i haul a couple bikes in the back of a Toyota Pickup and go to a local track in the state we are in each week and show the truck pulling in and out of the track
And have it in the background everytime they are talking etc etc.
agn5009
2/18/2019 12:18pm
I don’t mind it. I don’t understand what the issue is with the segment. It’s like a minute or two long and gives something the wives/girlfriends/ daughters to be interested in.
Tarz483
Fantasy
344th
2/18/2019 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 12:32pm
akmx17 wrote:

mxer15 wrote:
We need a TON more people in the sport like this and less "racers" If you want to watch segments on good riders, i don't know...
We need a TON more people in the sport like this and less "racers"

If you want to watch segments on good riders, i don't know, maybe watch the FUCKING PRO RACE ON TV that your already watching and ignore the 2 minutes of air time the m2m segment is over the 3 hour broadcast???

Toyota markets to our segment because our segment NEEDS a truckto GO riding. If more people rode - more people would want a truck - win win.

This whole subject has been heavily debated many times on this forum. Sucks to re visit it each time. But if 10 percent of the woman who watched sx decided to go buy motorcyles form this makeup to mud segment - we'd have a MASSIVE increase in bike sales. The male involvement to riding is already maxed out.

THAT is the whole point. motorcycles right now are somewhere along 95-98 percent male. and about 50 percent of them ride worse than those woman on TV. For all the hotshots on this forum who act like they can ride - then get whooped at local tracks by the caliber girls that made up make2mud last year...

Most people on here if video'd for their own segment - would look like shit. The top pro's being the comparison basis makes decent riders look like total shit.

Hell a 40th place outdoor pro - smokes everyone on here (maybe 1 percent that's not true?) and looks pathetically slow vs the 1st place outdoor pro.
So a mid pack local c rider or even a loretta's C rider (who everyone bitches about) - looks terribly slow.

Anyways - we COULD focus on top amateurs for a TV segment - and get what out of it? Press for the kid who already has sponsors and a factory ride?
No increase in viewership?
No possibility of expanding market?

Our do we focus on the non factory 5-10 place amateurs? This would piss of the factory kids and sponsors who rightfully deserve the coverage for THEIR sponsors....

I think more personality pieces on our pro's would be good - but they have been reluctant to do the segments (feld has asked)

Very well put and i agree with all of your points except for 1
And that is that the its maxed out for males
I really dont think thats true, i think this is a wierd time for the sport of mx because i think there is a huge portion of the population that knows absolutely nothing about it, as a core fan i have a hard time even finding anyone to talk to that has ever tried riding a dirtbike, imo in the 1970's and 1980's i would estimate that probably 60%+ people at least males berween 5 and 30 years old had tried riding some kind of off road dirt bike at least once
Even if they didnt have one , at least tried one a freinds or cousins or kid down the street or whatever, now thats not the case at all at least not in Minnesota
I can rarely find a person to have a conversation with about
Motocross that knows who the riders are or anything about MX/SX
I work in sales and talk to the public daily.
So imo i really dont think its maxed out for males or females.
Texas Built
2/18/2019 1:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2019 1:14pm
I don't really mind it. It's a break from the constant Monster Cancer Drink adverts. But then its just the same old "bro girls". Yeah yeah....you wear a beanie, ride dirt bikes and snowboard, yea yeah.....just like the chick last week and all the weeks before that.

akmx17
2/18/2019 1:17pm
I don't really mind it. It's a break from the constant Monster Cancer Drink adverts. But then its just the same old "bro girls". Yeah yeah....you...
I don't really mind it. It's a break from the constant Monster Cancer Drink adverts. But then its just the same old "bro girls". Yeah yeah....you wear a beanie, ride dirt bikes and snowboard, yea yeah.....just like the chick last week and all the weeks before that.

The Baja trail chick was kinda cool.
kaptkaos
2/18/2019 1:29pm

I can tell you this is just wishful thinking of todays marketing practices. The only women watching SX are doing it because someone in their circle is a fan. The amount of women who just randomly decided to watch the SX race on their own and actually saw the makeup2mud segment and will actually do anything because of it doesnt even show up mathematically.

Any female who saw Makeup2Mud is already aware of dirt bikes because their partner or kid rides one. They have plenty of influence to ride a bike or an atv already, that segment is not going to make a difference at all. They should show Makeup2Mud during Greys Anatomy or The Bachelor if they want to attract new women tot he sport.

There is at least a dozen better things to do during that segment for helping the sport grow. I dont really mind it so much, its dead time between races so I am not missing anything, but I would want more rider segments, or Science of Supercross, maybe some history of SX. I think I would rather watch a Monster chick with a flamethrower and Axel jumping something big and stupid. My wife and daughter watched Makeup2Mud a few times, they really didnt get the urge to ride. They did say most of them looked gay and I couldnt argue that point.
ktm300hater
2/18/2019 2:27pm
I've been thinking of sending my daughters info in, but all the vitards would just bag on her, and like has been said, she could probably beat half of them
Indy mxer
2/18/2019 2:32pm
I like the segments and find them interesting. Hat's off to all the ladies that ride. Welcome to the sport.
2stroked
2/18/2019 2:50pm
its cool to showcase and feature the ladies who are involved in the sport and aren't the typical flat billing 951 bro hoes that are traditionally the majority of females into the sport.

It helps encourage everyones sisters, mothers, aunt's to be involved in the sport beyond being stuck in the pits or making sandwiches for the kids.

That said, there is a disparity in social media with the females in our sport. It amazes me that some of these females who just got into the sport recently can have 50-100-150k followers on IG/twitter and basically do track days and race occasionally. (sports bra's leaning over a bike staring into the sunset poses seem to be a common theme)

Then some of the guys who race 30-40-50 times a year, have been racing their entire life and their whole family is dedicated to the sport struggles to get up past 1,000 followers. Why does it matter? Sponsors look at that stuff now a lot more than people think. Unfair? sure such is life but its something that I think may turn into an issue moving forward.
SLOWTIME
2/18/2019 2:58pm
Please stop with the mud on the face.
agn5009
2/18/2019 3:13pm
I've been thinking of sending my daughters info in, but all the vitards would just bag on her, and like has been said, she could probably...
I've been thinking of sending my daughters info in, but all the vitards would just bag on her, and like has been said, she could probably beat half of them
Do it. 99% of viewers would enjoy it. It’s only a few Debbie downers here.
TeamGreen
2/18/2019 3:22pm
level wrote:
Women that ride dirt bikes & some background on who they are and why they ride.

I love it.

This week’s segment was excellent.
BobbyLight
2/18/2019 3:42pm
It doesn't matter if you like it or not, because that segment isn't for us (the core). Its marketing 101, when half the market is untouched, you try and touch it. We need new people in the sport on a grassroots level which makes it a family affair, and it seems you all are underestimating the power that the woman of the house has in regards to weekend plans. I think the segment is brilliant. In addition to the obvious "girls can ride too" message, it could convince a mom that "maybe racing isn't too dangerous for my kid after all" or something. I don't see a problem with it, moto needs any help it can get, and it's for sure a sausage fest at the moment.
Tarz483
Fantasy
344th
2/18/2019 4:35pm
I've been thinking of sending my daughters info in, but all the vitards would just bag on her, and like has been said, she could probably...
agn5009 wrote:
Do it. 99% of viewers would enjoy it. It’s only a few Debbie downers here.
I hear that the Girls that have been chosen have gotten a lot other opportunities because of it, it opens a lot of doors for them so based on that i would definitely try to do it.
2/18/2019 4:47pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Very well put and i agree with all of your points except for 1 And that is that the its maxed out for males I really...
Very well put and i agree with all of your points except for 1
And that is that the its maxed out for males
I really dont think thats true, i think this is a wierd time for the sport of mx because i think there is a huge portion of the population that knows absolutely nothing about it, as a core fan i have a hard time even finding anyone to talk to that has ever tried riding a dirtbike, imo in the 1970's and 1980's i would estimate that probably 60%+ people at least males berween 5 and 30 years old had tried riding some kind of off road dirt bike at least once
Even if they didnt have one , at least tried one a freinds or cousins or kid down the street or whatever, now thats not the case at all at least not in Minnesota
I can rarely find a person to have a conversation with about
Motocross that knows who the riders are or anything about MX/SX
I work in sales and talk to the public daily.
So imo i really dont think its maxed out for males or females.
I agree entirely - I guess I mean of who watches SX - I think we'd be lucky to get any more male's watching to buy a bike.

We need to expand exposure to everyone - as you say. Get the world knowledgeable about our super stars and the sport in general; even if only for passing conversation like mentioning lebron.

Excellent point.

2/18/2019 4:51pm
2stroked wrote:
its cool to showcase and feature the ladies who are involved in the sport and aren't the typical flat billing 951 bro hoes that are traditionally...
its cool to showcase and feature the ladies who are involved in the sport and aren't the typical flat billing 951 bro hoes that are traditionally the majority of females into the sport.

It helps encourage everyones sisters, mothers, aunt's to be involved in the sport beyond being stuck in the pits or making sandwiches for the kids.

That said, there is a disparity in social media with the females in our sport. It amazes me that some of these females who just got into the sport recently can have 50-100-150k followers on IG/twitter and basically do track days and race occasionally. (sports bra's leaning over a bike staring into the sunset poses seem to be a common theme)

Then some of the guys who race 30-40-50 times a year, have been racing their entire life and their whole family is dedicated to the sport struggles to get up past 1,000 followers. Why does it matter? Sponsors look at that stuff now a lot more than people think. Unfair? sure such is life but its something that I think may turn into an issue moving forward.
correct you are.

Sexism exists - often to benefit of women (blasphemy!)

But it's true of men too - there are some Instagram hero's with tons of followers who aren't special riders vs our stars or main event pros - they just possess that special social media quality or know how - which in today's age is valuable.

my GF was m2m last year - and only has like 2500 followers. She doesn't use sex to sell her account - (stupidly IMHO) and maybe got 200-300 more after the feature.

It's how you market and springboard the coverage to help improve your followership IMHO
Ewan49
2/18/2019 4:54pm
Do you really care about what all the vitards would think and say? Don't be so silly! Send your daughter's info in. Stand proud!!
FGR01
Fantasy
1384th
2/18/2019 6:52pm
Maybe you guys didn't catch this during the Makeup-2-Mud segment this week, but they announced Toyota is doing a camp at Cycle Ranch in Texas, open to Toyota owners. Seems weird to me guys hating on a major outside sponsor offering such cool things (Toyota also offers free Futures entry and SX tickets to Toyota owners).

https://www.supercrosslive.com/toyotacampm2m

Post a reply to: #MakeUp2Mud

The Latest