Josh Hansen Racing AXUK

NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
12/9/2015 4:09pm

Maybe learn from NASCAR....Josh as a team owner should be able to keep the number...in the future he might hire a rider...but it would still be JH100 racing..saying the number range is "reserved" for euros or riders returning from injury is a cop out...The fact that they let him keep it so long should make it his if he wants it...What did he do to Piss off the AMA?

Fans connect to their favorite drivers via numbers, numbers stay with the team, not the driver

Perhaps no numbers are more meaningful to fans, though, as car numbers. It's how fans spot their favorite drivers on the track, and it instills a sense of loyalty. It's why you see so many Earnhardt fans still holding on to all those "3" shirts.

Those car numbers don't always last an entire career, however.

For example, before the 2013 season, Matt Kenseth had driven the No. 17 for Roush Fenway Racing in every race from 2000-2012 (466 total). When he moved to Joe Gibbs Racing, he did not take the No. 17 with him. Instead, he got in a car with a number already allotted to JGR -- the 20. From 2008-2012, both Tony Stewart and Joey Logano had driven that car.

The numbers aren't owned by teams, though. NASCAR owns all numbers and assigns them to car owners. The sanctioning body maintains the right to revoke or transfer any number at any time.

Because NASCAR owns the rights to all numbers, car owners cannot assign a number they do not have or transfer a number.

Teams can request specific numbers, and NASCAR works with teams and sponsors to try and meet those requests, when able. For example, Richard Petty Motorsports has the rights to the No. 43, which team owner Richard Petty made famous during his legendary NASCAR career.

The numbers NASCAR doles out are good for one year via an owners license; generally, teams are re-issued the same numbers from year to year, if requested. If multiple teams request the same number, the team submitting the first entry form would generally have their request granted, although full-time racing status may also be considered.
Sandberm
12/9/2015 4:28pm
So how many horse stables will Josh visit on his British vacation?

Is he taking his videographer Dirtshart with him? I can picture Monster chicks grinding up against Beefeaters now Grinning
Mini Elsinore
12/9/2015 4:40pm
NITRODOG wrote:
Maybe learn from NASCAR....Josh as a team owner should be able to keep the number...in the future he might hire a rider...but it would still be...

Maybe learn from NASCAR....Josh as a team owner should be able to keep the number...in the future he might hire a rider...but it would still be JH100 racing..saying the number range is "reserved" for euros or riders returning from injury is a cop out...The fact that they let him keep it so long should make it his if he wants it...What did he do to Piss off the AMA?

Fans connect to their favorite drivers via numbers, numbers stay with the team, not the driver

Perhaps no numbers are more meaningful to fans, though, as car numbers. It's how fans spot their favorite drivers on the track, and it instills a sense of loyalty. It's why you see so many Earnhardt fans still holding on to all those "3" shirts.

Those car numbers don't always last an entire career, however.

For example, before the 2013 season, Matt Kenseth had driven the No. 17 for Roush Fenway Racing in every race from 2000-2012 (466 total). When he moved to Joe Gibbs Racing, he did not take the No. 17 with him. Instead, he got in a car with a number already allotted to JGR -- the 20. From 2008-2012, both Tony Stewart and Joey Logano had driven that car.

The numbers aren't owned by teams, though. NASCAR owns all numbers and assigns them to car owners. The sanctioning body maintains the right to revoke or transfer any number at any time.

Because NASCAR owns the rights to all numbers, car owners cannot assign a number they do not have or transfer a number.

Teams can request specific numbers, and NASCAR works with teams and sponsors to try and meet those requests, when able. For example, Richard Petty Motorsports has the rights to the No. 43, which team owner Richard Petty made famous during his legendary NASCAR career.

The numbers NASCAR doles out are good for one year via an owners license; generally, teams are re-issued the same numbers from year to year, if requested. If multiple teams request the same number, the team submitting the first entry form would generally have their request granted, although full-time racing status may also be considered.
^^^This is a prime example of why NASCAR is going down the tubes. It's all about the $$ and the sponsors and the owners; the true fans have become an after-thought. NASCAR has become a 3 hour commercial and not a sporting event, imo.
12/9/2015 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 6:35pm
DC wrote:
555, since there hasn't been a single race yet, I imagine even race officials would be hard-pressed to say who's who in that number range. But...
555, since there hasn't been a single race yet, I imagine even race officials would be hard-pressed to say who's who in that number range. But if everyone gets to pick their own number, and keep it for as long as they want, how do you police it? And whatever happened to wanting to earn a national number, and not just claim it?

Roger DeCoster had dozens of numbers. So did Torsten Hallman. They used to change them every round of the GPs. We are familiar with them for their success as racers, not branders. And those are pretty big brands.

DC
Isn't there a way to better split the baby with these competing interests?

Allow riders to pick their number (from the ones then "unearned"), but in order for them to keep it for the following year they must earn the right to maintain it (e.g., top xx in combined points, or score points in a certain number of events).

Seems to me like this would take care of the issue of riders squatting on a number, and also provides motivation for riders to earn their digits.

I hope there is something I am missing that makes this scheme (or something similar) impracticable, because the confusion justification seems bogus to me.

The Shop

12/9/2015 6:26pm
mx295 wrote:
My buddy's national number used to be 259. When Stewart was coming up Fox made an offer to him. Free gear if he gave up the...
My buddy's national number used to be 259. When Stewart was coming up Fox made an offer to him. Free gear if he gave up the number. As you know Stewart got the 259.
I think you and I have a mutual buddy!
oshow
12/9/2015 6:48pm
22Ryann wrote:
It's a lot bigger than just the number i can imagine. Many riders, many times now has vented frustration towards the series and how it is...
It's a lot bigger than just the number i can imagine.

Many riders, many times now has vented frustration towards the series and how it is run. Chad specifically, but even he couldn't go balls out and hammer the series id imagine because of big sponsor deals/his future.

Hanny is in the unique position where he has attention, and many people follow him and his popularity is higher than the average rider. But he doesn't have the big title sponsors to upset. In my eyes it would be ultra frustrating to work your ass off, devote all your time, money & efforts into training for a season where you are less than wrapped with how its run. Hell, it was basically the demise of Chad's team & i guarantee if Chad didn't have to fish for another ride/team he really would have went out and said what he was thinking. Pushing millions into a organisation that has proven it has nearly zero consideration for the riders point of view Chad got jack of it and bailed, couldn't change it and joined back into the ranks to 'Just ride'. It was super obvious how he truly felt and could see the button lip he had in every interview.

Hanny is feeling it just at a much smaller scale, some piss weak shit rule that again makes no sense, better offer else were and off he went. I like it, The series needs a wake up call big time, the last time tracks had excitement was 09' when the riders designed them, they couldn't even catch onto that and run with it.

Look forward to following the races over there.
Good post
oshow
12/9/2015 6:53pm
DC wrote:
Not taking sides here, but why should Josh get to use a number he never earned? Why would he brand his team that after being told...
Not taking sides here, but why should Josh get to use a number he never earned? Why would he brand his team that after being told he could not "squat" on that number, and then be assigned a number (just like everyone else who has never finished in the top ten in final season points or won a title) just like all of the other riders according to the points they earned the previous season?

We have long had a system here to allow permanent numbers for the bigger stars, and it worked well for RC, Reed, Stewart, Pastrana, RV, Alessi, etc. The numbers 100-115 were always held for other visiting GP riders or returning champions (remember Reed's first number being #103? Townley's and O'Mara being #101? Healey and Lechien and Kiedrowski and Brown and Dobb all being #100?) It has nothing to do with "politics," it's simply the policy... Someone let Hansen choose #100 for a season and he just kept requesting it, which is fine. But now the AMA is better enforcing it's own rules and he earned #57, not #100.

I understand that Josh is bummed, but moving to the UK series because you can't wear #100 seems a bit much. What is Tommy Searle shows up and wants to wear his #100?

Josh should keep racing here, call his team #100, but race the number he earned, which was properly assigned. But if he's getting paid better to race in the UK, then by all means go, but blaming the number change doesn't make sense... Either way, I imagine he's going to be the favorite over there. He still flies.

DC
DC I also agree with you somewhat.

But how would he market his team as 100 but race with the 57? Just thinking about the marketing strategy there...

I'm sure he's getting a good dollar amount to go to UK, but also gets to take a stand/stab at a system he sees some wrong in.
oshow
12/9/2015 7:07pm
MXerDW wrote:
Gopher owens,
I understand what you are saying.
Rules are rules, must be followed.
Rules are made to be broken
12/9/2015 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 7:11pm
he is going to prove a point with his departure...he will get less exposure because fans around the world will be focused on the our super cross drama. I think he will regret this decision and I would advise running the 57. It's like when a key employee leaves the company..it's a shock but you realize you can survive without them. He's making a career ending mistake. All my opinon Smile
akillerwombat
12/9/2015 7:16pm
he is going to prove a point with his departure...he will get less exposure because fans around the world will be focused on the our super...
he is going to prove a point with his departure...he will get less exposure because fans around the world will be focused on the our super cross drama. I think he will regret this decision and I would advise running the 57. It's like when a key employee leaves the company..it's a shock but you realize you can survive without them. He's making a career ending mistake. All my opinon Smile
Let's be realistic though, how much has actual – wheels on the dirt in the stadium – racing Supercross done to help his comeback? I'd venture to say almost none (unless your on the podium no one really gives a shit). What has brought Josh back is his insane talent on a bike, both indoors and out, and the amazing media campaign he's built for himself. IE, Brett Que... has not racing Nationals or Supercross hurt his brand image?

I have a feeling no matter where he goes (if he maintains the level of social exposure he's built over the last year and a half) he'll be just fine. I think it might actually help him as the next year will have an international (travel based) narrative... he'll be able to go all Ronnie Renner with his freeride videos, capture amazing freeride footage in other countries, and continue to build the persona based career his life has taken.
12/9/2015 7:32pm
Good points wombat...I think his videos or media campaign were the best of any rider...I admit I got suckered into "the comeback". That's really the brand he has sold look at his YouTube videos they are always about the "comeback". That's why I like Hansen he will not leave because he knows he has the skill and talent to win. His suspension sucked last year...if he had a factory bike I bet he could have won and he has the right disposition to shove that kid coop around. Race with 57 for gawdsake
mb
12/9/2015 7:36pm
mb wrote:
If the AMA doesn't like 3 didget numbers anymore than get rid of them. Quit playing games with unreasonable rules. 2 didget only just like stick...
If the AMA doesn't like 3 didget numbers anymore than get rid of them. Quit playing games with unreasonable rules. 2 didget only just like stick and ball. Don't want anyone to make a brand for themselves, heaven forbid someone makes money racing a dirtbike without winning. If someone at the AMA goofed and gave him the 100, just let the dude use it for the next however many years until he retires and then enforce the policy then. Forcing the guy to change for no other reason than political correctness is just being petty when the AMA didn't do their number assigning job correctly in the 1st place.

Using this methodology we should assign different numbers (1-20 something) for every race using timed qualifying so the "fans" know who is faster that night..

ns503 wrote:
You'd be happy with only 99 AMA racers?
I think you missed my sarcasm.

P.S. When my daughter is old enough to watch racing it will be a lot easier to explain why 800 is racing 5 in the beginning of the race than it is to explain why the AMA suddenly wants to take the #100 away from a guy who is finishing out the last years of his pro career.
Sweendoggy
12/9/2015 7:48pm
Who does it hurt to let him run 100 for a few more years? WHO??? Why do foreign riders get reserved numbers? Do we really have that many guys to need to block off numbers? So much wasted time and energy, just let the guy run 100 and worry about improving rider/promoter relations... it means way more to Hansen to run 100 than it does to the AMA to make him run 57.

Love how the AMA will make shit up on the spot, but is trying to stand behind the integrity of this number thing. Worry about the important stuff I guess...

Jesus

Take a stand Hanny, it's the principle of the thing.
DownSouth
12/9/2015 7:56pm
Hansen knew exactly how the # system works which is evident by him running #60 in 2013. This is not something new they made up to try and cause him trouble. Why is it such a problem for him in 2015?
Jimmy_Sloan
12/9/2015 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 8:13pm
No one seems to know why Hanny wore the 100 for so long, and now he can't run it. Seems a bit odd to me. If he has run it for so long, has built an image around it and fans know him by it, let him run it! With these sanctioning bodies, rules seem to be willy-nilly anyway.
Spydee
12/10/2015 12:01am
No one seems to know why Hanny wore the 100 for so long, and now he can't run it. Seems a bit odd to me. If...
No one seems to know why Hanny wore the 100 for so long, and now he can't run it. Seems a bit odd to me. If he has run it for so long, has built an image around it and fans know him by it, let him run it! With these sanctioning bodies, rules seem to be willy-nilly anyway.
Nice contradiction. Unless you mean only his fans know he ran that number for so long lol. If most of us didn't realise then it's not much of an image he's created with that number considering he's owned it all these years.
philG
12/10/2015 12:11am
To be honest , I doubt anyone in the UK will care , AX here is like the ADAC series in Germany but 10 years behind, lots of 'teams' .. and I use that term loosely, bring in hired guns just for AX, nearly all of the UK top boys are away for the winter somewhere, or most likely just working a winter job in the hope of getting money together.

There is a round 20 miles from me ., which I have usually gone to last minute if im not busy , its a good show, but 5 minute races , and not enough of them, plus Freestyle which im over 10 years ago mean its a bit short on race action for me.

It does seem to pull a lot of non moto folk in though , so fair play for that.

Hansen wont be getting rich of racing in the UK.

Spydee
12/10/2015 12:17am
Bring back the 'International Supercross' races to the UK I say. When I was a teen those rounds were fantastic.. even if the US pro's kicked everyone's arses it was cool as hell to watch the likes of McGrath, Pastrana, Bryne, Tedesco, Preston, Brown, etc racing over here. What ever happened to that??

Considering Dean Wilson is always banging on about being a patriotic Brit I thought we'd see a glimpse of him riding over here too, or is it just the MXdN he's interested in?
DC
12/10/2015 5:51am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2015 5:54am
I don't really care if he runs #100 or #57, he's still Josh Hansen, and he's fun to watch -- always the wild card in any race. But he never "owned" #100, and some years he just wasn't getting points because he was riding Lites SX before those points counted towards the season tally. I went back and looked at all of the guys who ran #100 since 1981, Andy Bowyer "number cruncher" style, and it's a pretty long and distinguished list. (Spam: We will post it later on Racer X Online and try to explain why each man had that number -- it's more Americans than Europeans.)

And I do have an affinity for #214 (mine) and #174 (dad) but I am sure both of us would have loved to earn a two-digit national number. The 125 SX points didn't count in 1985 and I didn't get in the top twenty of any nationals, so I didn't get a number. So I went to college. Ron Tichenor's dad asked if I was going to renew #214 in '86 because Tichenor was turning pro and he was going places, wearing #214 as a kid, so I gave it up and headed to class.

I get why Hansen's frustrated but I don't get why he kept getting the number some years, that is on the AMA, but there's new people there now and they are tying to manage the numbers better. I also know that Josh was told by the AMA's Kevin Crowther before last season that he was letting him use #100 one more time but then he was going to have to take whatever number he earned for 2016, if he scored points. Not sure how that's "politics," but it is the rule. I do think he's going racing to England for more reasons than just his number, and that's England's gain. Just hope Tommy Searle doesn't show up, because I think he's got a lock on #100 over there.

DC
downard254
12/10/2015 6:10am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2015 6:13am
Maybe Josh could just use all that talent, and new found dedication and training, and just go ahead and win the 2016 SX title. Then he could pick a number couldn't he. Yep, that's what he should do IMHO.

Edit: O.K., maybe a bit much on the harsh sarcasm, but really, I get the feeling he thinks he's entitled to that number, and here lately, with all the freeloaders in America who feel they're entitled has been rubbing me a bit raw. Seems folks today are forgetting that you get what you earn.
O.K., vent over. Carry on.

burnside
12/10/2015 7:14am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2015 7:18am
In a funny way, shit like this is why I still enjoy geeking out about motocross. Its a break from the real world. In the real world there are much more important subjects and issues to be debating rather than the number of professional motocross racers, the stickers they put on their number plates. A part of me thinks "WHO. GIVES. A. SHIT - Really?" Its so trivial and petty, border line pathetic, but some times I like to indulge in such nonsense, because to think of Syria right now as I sip this beer in a pub while I wait for my laundry to dry, well, to think of Syria right now wouldn't be fun at all.

Back to geeking out - I see both sides, but not sure what UKAX is going to do to further Josh's "brand"? Surprised he hasn't been doing more of the Australia rounds in the off season, he seemed to like it out there and that series seems to have more credibility. Not to mention, UK at that time of year is a truly horrible place to be. hahaha. He basically wont be able to practice SX the whole time he's here. Even if there were SX tracks at an American standard, they would be flooded or frozen.

I do wish the racing would start though Wink
MXerDW
12/10/2015 8:05am
The fact is Josh earned #57 for 2016 and if he races SX that is the number he has to use.
DC
12/10/2015 8:44am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2015 8:45am
burnside, I agree with you. And every time I hear "San Bernardino" on the radio or TV now, I don't think of motocross immediately anymore, I just feel sad about it...

Josh Hansen's number is no big deal -- a tempest in a teapot -- but it beats thinking about the world at large at this moment and the wicked days ahead for all of us.

DC
12/10/2015 10:21am
Monster UK Arena cross website has already confirmed Hansen will race the 11 round series which was won by Fabian Izoid this year.

If Hansen races monster cup can he use 100?
DC
12/10/2015 12:55pm
Okay, we've pretty much exhausted this topic, but I did do some research on the history of #100, Andy Bowyer's late, great "Number Cruncher" style, and I think it's a fun bench-racing piece for the off-season. SPAM ALERT: Check it right here:

http://racerxonline.com/2015/12/10/the-list-the-curious-cases-of-100

Any other numbers causing a fuss or confusion, let me know -- the off-season is almost over.

DC
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
12/10/2015 1:00pm
DC wrote:
Okay, we've pretty much exhausted this topic, but I did do some research on the history of #100, Andy Bowyer's late, great "Number Cruncher" style, and...
Okay, we've pretty much exhausted this topic, but I did do some research on the history of #100, Andy Bowyer's late, great "Number Cruncher" style, and I think it's a fun bench-racing piece for the off-season. SPAM ALERT: Check it right here:

http://racerxonline.com/2015/12/10/the-list-the-curious-cases-of-100

Any other numbers causing a fuss or confusion, let me know -- the off-season is almost over.

DC
Good read,thanks.
Parker always come to mind when I seen the #100.
MXerDW
12/10/2015 1:09pm
Excellent article to read, thanks DC.

Post a reply to: Josh Hansen Racing AXUK

The Latest