Josh Hansen Racing AXUK

Rich Piano
12/7/2015 8:17pm
Hannah ran 100 one year also.
Not sure if for SX though.

Hannah would have rather dropped the zeros.
Rich Piano
12/7/2015 8:26pm
Robgvx wrote:
A bit lame when your brand needs to be based around a number and not your name.

What's Lewis Hamilton's number? Schumacher's? Senna's?
They are there. But so small they are insignificant.
MelonFan123
12/7/2015 9:04pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
What leverage do any of these riders have?
Ummm, they're the talent that all of us pay to see. No riders, no show.

But we all know a rider boycott or strike will never happen
12/7/2015 9:39pm
Agree 100 percent with DC but I'm a hanny fan. His video serious last year was inspiring and I looked forward to each and every episode. His positively can rub off on the most negative person. He is a good salesman because he only races 6 to 8 times a year yet he is still realevant and popular. He does have a strong brand.

The Shop

Rich Piano
12/7/2015 9:49pm
Agree 100 percent with DC but I'm a hanny fan. His video serious last year was inspiring and I looked forward to each and every episode...
Agree 100 percent with DC but I'm a hanny fan. His video serious last year was inspiring and I looked forward to each and every episode. His positively can rub off on the most negative person. He is a good salesman because he only races 6 to 8 times a year yet he is still realevant and popular. He does have a strong brand.
With who? A bunch of tattooed dropout kids with 43 piercings who hang out in front of 7-11 bumming smokes like a homeless guy?

They aint buying anything, ever. And it seems Monster doesnt think these kids are buying Monsters either.

Whats that tell ya?
12/7/2015 10:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2015 10:12pm
Agree 100 percent with DC but I'm a hanny fan. His video serious last year was inspiring and I looked forward to each and every episode...
Rich Piano wrote:
With who? A bunch of tattooed dropout kids with 43 piercings who hang out in front of 7-11 bumming smokes like a homeless guy? They aint...
With who? A bunch of tattooed dropout kids with 43 piercings who hang out in front of 7-11 bumming smokes like a homeless guy?

They aint buying anything, ever. And it seems Monster doesnt think these kids are buying Monsters either.

Whats that tell ya?
Some of those kids were probably neglected in life and never received the proper attention and love from their parents. some learn by example other learn by their own choices I pray they find their path in life. I think you totally missed the essence of the hanny brand. I don't buy the hats but I do click the videos.
12/7/2015 10:23pm
jackiej wrote:
a lot of "you" don't understand...i do however. he is building a brand. everything as of late he's doing in a positive matter and you guys...
a lot of "you" don't understand...i do however. he is building a brand. everything as of late he's doing in a positive matter and you guys still want to hate and be negative. he's trying something else out, why hate? i will be tuning into watch for sure.

misunderstood.
Amen!
12/7/2015 10:26pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I don't think of or associate Josh Hansen when I see the number 100 but when I see a pair of spiderman PJs that is who...
I don't think of or associate Josh Hansen when I see the number 100 but when I see a pair of spiderman PJs that is who I think of.Pinch
Hahaha! yep remember that plus sellers vw truck he cherished.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/7/2015 10:52pm Edited Date/Time 12/7/2015 10:58pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I don't think of or associate Josh Hansen when I see the number 100 but when I see a pair of spiderman PJs that is who...
I don't think of or associate Josh Hansen when I see the number 100 but when I see a pair of spiderman PJs that is who I think of.Pinch
Hahaha! yep remember that plus sellers vw truck he cherished.
What was that on, was it like MTV cribs but with riders ? I cant remember what show it was on, or if it was one of the videos like Crusty or moto xXx . I home someone remembers because It will drive me crazy until someone has the answer.
hvaughn88
12/8/2015 6:59am
hvaughn88 wrote:
What leverage do any of these riders have?
Ummm, they're the talent that all of us pay to see. No riders, no show. But we all know a rider boycott or strike will never...
Ummm, they're the talent that all of us pay to see. No riders, no show.

But we all know a rider boycott or strike will never happen
haha, as already mentioned, I believe that there would be a list of riders a mile long to fill their spots if that happened. Next man up mentality. I think you are confusing what I want to see happen with what I think would happen, which are two different things. I would absolutely love for all of these guys to make millions, right down to the last guy in the show, but unfortunately I'm living in realville.
JM485
12/8/2015 10:18am
DC wrote:
"I mean what if Adam Enticknap earns a top 100 number, will he be forced off the 722 that he has built his whole self promotion...
"I mean what if Adam Enticknap earns a top 100 number, will he be forced off the 722 that he has built his whole self promotion around??? If so, we need to find out a way to fix this problem"

Yes, Adam would have to use the two-digit number he earns as soon as he earns it. It's been that way for a few years now. And champions have to wear #1 when they defending a title, no matter what their permanent number.

The only permanent three-digit numbers left are #377 and #800. They were grandfathered in when the change was made and Christophe and Mike continue to use those numbers.

DC
I guess I'm missing the point of having such a rule in place. Is this a case of "we've always done it this way and don't want to change", or is there a legitimate reason for doing it this way? It just seems crazy to me to take away such an easy marketing option from riders. I understand there being things you need to achieve to earn a permanent two digit number (championship, top ten in points, etc.), but I can't really see any upside in telling guys they can't keep their three digit if they want to.
DC
12/8/2015 11:06am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 11:10am
JM485, I don't really have a bike in this race, but I think the problem initially stems from the fact that #100 was never really Josh's personal number, and the AMA seldom releases numbers 100 through 115, or maybe even 125, unless it's for a special occasion, like a returning GP rider, someone coming out of retirement or back from a long time off injury...

Over the years, I remember Bob Hannah, Trampas Parker, Mike Kiedrowski, James Dobb, Jimmy Button, Ernesto Fonseca, Buddy Antunez and Mike Brown and of course Josh all using #100 in a season where they either returned from overseas or injury or were otherwise unable to earn AMA points. I am not sure when exactly Josh got it, or why, but I don't think anyone was ever supposed to "own" that number, it's for special cases.

As for requiring riders to take the numbers they earned, I believe it helps spectators know who's who a little better, and having too many triple-digit numbers out there can confuse the issue. That's why the AMA is no longer allowing riders to request three-digit permanent numbers. Otherwise, Jason Anderson would be #312 now, not #21.

Finally, how do you decide who gets to keep a number they like when they don't earn it? For instance, both Zach Osborne and J-Law wanted #338, and if you asked Arnaud Tonus, I am sure he would like to keep #200 instead of whatever he got, and Austin Forkner has already request #214, which was already requested by Vicki Golden, which is already being used by someone else anyway.... The 7-2-2 certainly can keep marketing himself that way, just as Josh can Team #100, but it jus won't be on their number plates or the back of their jerseys. Just seems like the more triple-digit numbers up front, the harder it is for spectators to follow... Is that why NASCAR and the NFL and basketball, etc., doesn't have triple-digits?

Just my two cents (and my number was #214 in 1985, which I gave up to Ron Tichenor in '86, and he put it to much better use).

DC

Motofinne
12/8/2015 11:11am
I still think it's incredibly stupid that riders can't use 3 digit numbers.
mag23
12/8/2015 12:09pm
Just curious... who does it hurt, to let Hanny run #100? Who is the AMA protecting with this rule?
hvaughn88
12/8/2015 12:12pm
Motofinne wrote:
I think it's incredibly stupid that people can't follow a damn rule. I like hanny, but I can't help but to think the number thing is just the easiest excuse to use to mask another reason he's not racing here.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
12/8/2015 12:21pm
DC wrote:
JM485, I don't really have a bike in this race, but I think the problem initially stems from the fact that #100 was never really Josh's...
JM485, I don't really have a bike in this race, but I think the problem initially stems from the fact that #100 was never really Josh's personal number, and the AMA seldom releases numbers 100 through 115, or maybe even 125, unless it's for a special occasion, like a returning GP rider, someone coming out of retirement or back from a long time off injury...

Over the years, I remember Bob Hannah, Trampas Parker, Mike Kiedrowski, James Dobb, Jimmy Button, Ernesto Fonseca, Buddy Antunez and Mike Brown and of course Josh all using #100 in a season where they either returned from overseas or injury or were otherwise unable to earn AMA points. I am not sure when exactly Josh got it, or why, but I don't think anyone was ever supposed to "own" that number, it's for special cases.

As for requiring riders to take the numbers they earned, I believe it helps spectators know who's who a little better, and having too many triple-digit numbers out there can confuse the issue. That's why the AMA is no longer allowing riders to request three-digit permanent numbers. Otherwise, Jason Anderson would be #312 now, not #21.

Finally, how do you decide who gets to keep a number they like when they don't earn it? For instance, both Zach Osborne and J-Law wanted #338, and if you asked Arnaud Tonus, I am sure he would like to keep #200 instead of whatever he got, and Austin Forkner has already request #214, which was already requested by Vicki Golden, which is already being used by someone else anyway.... The 7-2-2 certainly can keep marketing himself that way, just as Josh can Team #100, but it jus won't be on their number plates or the back of their jerseys. Just seems like the more triple-digit numbers up front, the harder it is for spectators to follow... Is that why NASCAR and the NFL and basketball, etc., doesn't have triple-digits?

Just my two cents (and my number was #214 in 1985, which I gave up to Ron Tichenor in '86, and he put it to much better use).

DC

DC,

I understand the thought process of an earned numbering system helping the casual spectator distinguish the "better" guys. It helps educate people on who belongs where and increase excitement when a high number guy is up front or vice versa.

However, all of that goes out the window by awarding national points to the 250 riders and allowing guys to have career numbers. A race is very likely to have #1 (Dungey) battling with #94, #41 & #3 this year for the win. And then you've got #6 in one race who must be better than this #7 guy who is racing the other race. That doesn't make any sense.

The rules are too confusing for anyone to follow. As far as the argument that Josh should have never been able to run #100 in the first place. The cat's out of the bag on that one. It sounds like somebody at the AMA or whoever is in charge of that messed up and they should make an exception for Josh because of that if nothing else. I'm not a big Hanny fan but I think he's got a legitimate gripe.

And I don't see why we ever got rid of 3 digit career numbers in general. Football and basketball only use 2 digit numbers so thats our reasoning? Who cares what stick and ball sports do? My casual fan friends have never once gotten confused or asked me questions about a riding having a 3-digit number.
JM485
12/8/2015 12:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 12:30pm
DC wrote:
JM485, I don't really have a bike in this race, but I think the problem initially stems from the fact that #100 was never really Josh's...

DC

Thanks for the explanation DC, very much appreciated. The only way I could see being able to determine who gets to keep their three digit number over another rider wanting it would be seniority, which would be valid until a rider goes a whole season without scoring a point, then the number can go to whoever had requested it next. I'm sure others will disagree but I always thought it would be awesome if guys were able to keep their amateur numbers throughout their pro careers if they wanted to, but I also see the other side of the argument about new fans having trouble with the high numbers. Again, thanks for the clarification, I guess this is just something I have a little different opinion on than most.Cool

And on the extremely off chance I ever line up for a pro race, nobody had better even think about taking 485!Laughing

Edit: 731chopper beat me to it, but I think he nailed it on this one.
Motofinne
12/8/2015 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 1:07pm
Motofinne wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
I think it's incredibly stupid that people can't follow a damn rule. I like hanny, but I can't help but to think the number thing is...
I think it's incredibly stupid that people can't follow a damn rule. I like hanny, but I can't help but to think the number thing is just the easiest excuse to use to mask another reason he's not racing here.
I don't care what Josh Hansen does. What i do care about is the future riders in US MX/SX that can't brand themselves with a 3 digit number. Or the best example is Enticknap, he makes money and a living of the name 722. He should have the opportunity to use the number 722.

It's incredibly stupid.

And another stupid thing is when regional 250 SX races are getting exactly the same coverage and career points as the 450 guys. It's a fucking joke. The 450 class is the premier class and if you finish 15th in the 250 races it's the same as finishing 15th in the 450 races.

The whole numbering system is shit in US SX/MX racing and i think it hurts the riders chances to create a fan base and the chances of getting sponsors. This could change with a rider union.

Rant over.
12/8/2015 1:10pm
Sandberm wrote:
I'm confused. Hes says hes going to be back for supercross 2016, but then later in his post he says he will ne back in 2017...
I'm confused.

Hes says hes going to be back for supercross 2016, but then later in his post he says he will ne back in 2017 as the number 100.

Huh?

Im gonna send him one of the free calenders I got.
Maybe he thinks he's gonna win this British arenacross title and come back to using 100....
hvaughn88
12/8/2015 1:14pm
Motofinne wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
I think it's incredibly stupid that people can't follow a damn rule. I like hanny, but I can't help but to think the number thing is...
Motofinne wrote:
I don't care what Josh Hansen does. What i do care about is the future riders in US MX/SX that can't brand themselves with a 3...
I don't care what Josh Hansen does. What i do care about is the future riders in US MX/SX that can't brand themselves with a 3 digit number. Or the best example is Enticknap, he makes money and a living of the name 722. He should have the opportunity to use the number 722.

It's incredibly stupid.

And another stupid thing is when regional 250 SX races are getting exactly the same coverage and career points as the 450 guys. It's a fucking joke. The 450 class is the premier class and if you finish 15th in the 250 races it's the same as finishing 15th in the 450 races.

The whole numbering system is shit in US SX/MX racing and i think it hurts the riders chances to create a fan base and the chances of getting sponsors. This could change with a rider union.

Rant over.
Fine, I give up. You're right. The current numbering system is ruining Hanny's career. So now what?
DC
12/8/2015 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 1:16pm
All good points, and again, I didn't make the rules, I am just trying to explain them, FTE-style...

Adding 250 SX points was something that Feld has wanted to do for sometime, and I agree with them, and ultimately so did the AMA. While it's not a "national" series, it is eight or nine very meaningful races that should count towards a rider's overall season tally.

As for 250 riders getting to use lower numbers, like Jeremy Martin as 6, or Blake Baggett as 4, or Ryan Villopoto as 2 (remember, he chose that number while still on 250s), it's obvious that guys will progress to the 450 SX/MX class in due time.

The system is not perfect by any means, and they quit using three-digit numbers because it was confusing (especially in stadiums where it's hard to hear). I know there's not much difference between "#1 battling #94," but it's a lot easier to explain than #800 battling #377...

Finally, Kevin Crowther informed Josh last year that he would not be able to use #100 this year, if he scored points. He applied again but was told that he had to follow the rules like everyone else. I know it's not the answer he or his fans wanted but I understand that too... And just for fun, here's some #57 from the past:

1973: Jim Pomeroy (first American)
1974: Jack O'Leary
1975: Michael Gillman
1976; Charles Lampe
1977: Michael Gillman
1978: John Joyner
1979: David Bowman
1980: Mark Rakestraw
1981: Mark Lawrence
1982: Doug Jackson
1983: Tom Carson (Asterisk)
1984: Denny Bentley
1985: Terry Hobbs
1986: Eddie Hicks (THE Eddie Hicks)
1987: Mickey Kessler (Dakota's dad)
1988: Kenny Bollmeier
1989: Robert Hayes
1990: Mike Pascarella
1991: Donny Schmit (went to Europe)
1992: Carl Vaillancourt
1993: Mickey Dymond (went to Europe)
1994: Matt Crown (Joey's dad)
1995: Scott Carter
1996: Roy Schnellenberger
1997: David Pingree (Ask Ping)
1998: Doug Dubach
1999: Jiri Dostal
2000: Keith Johnson (Albuquerque Keith, not Southwick)
2001: Casey Lytle
2002: Tommy Hofmaster
2003: Greg Schnell
2004: Joe Oehlhoef
2005: Erick Vallejo
2006: Brian Gray
2007: Justin Buckelew
2008: Ryan Sipes (First American, ISDE-style)
2009: Jake Marsack
2010: Jarred Browne
2011: Blake Baggett
2012: Jake Canada
2013: Ben LaMay
2014: AJ Catanzaro
2015: Jackson Richardson
2016: Josh Hansen

DC

Motofinne
12/8/2015 1:20pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I don't care what Josh Hansen does. What i do care about is the future riders in US MX/SX that can't brand themselves with a 3...

It's incredibly stupid.

Rant over.
hvaughn88 wrote:
Fine, I give up. You're right. The current numbering system is ruining Hanny's career. So now what?
You can't read? I don't care about Josh Hansen and hes career that clearly is going to end soon.

I'm talking about riders like Enticknap and future pros that want to have a 3 digit number.
hvaughn88
12/8/2015 1:22pm
Motofinne wrote:

It's incredibly stupid.

Rant over.
hvaughn88 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
You can't read? I don't care about Josh Hansen and hes career that clearly is going to end soon. I'm talking about riders like Enticknap and...
You can't read? I don't care about Josh Hansen and hes career that clearly is going to end soon.

I'm talking about riders like Enticknap and future pros that want to have a 3 digit number.
OK
12/8/2015 3:35pm
Are numbers needed? We have transponders. Front plate would make a prime billboard
BESTY #72
12/8/2015 4:49pm
DC wrote:

DC

Hi DC,

Haven't been an active poster in a long time, but this entire number scheme is incredibly frustrating and seriously needs addressing!

From what you are saying, the logic is that the AMA want fans to identify riders abilities by the number that they have earned. Yet, this is already thrown out by the fact that riders get injured a lot, can have career numbers and can have only just entered the pro ranks. So, why does it matter if #100 is battling with #25 for 3rd place? or #377 is battling with #51 for 5th place?

To further this, the whole #100-115 is held for returning champs/ GP stars throws this off point even more. If the AMA don't want questions over why a 3 digit is in the top 5, surely a returning champ would be in the mix, with his new 3 digit number? I.E If James had lost all points this year. Why is #107 (or 259) winning? Why is his gear covered in #7's??

Identifying riders by their numbers of choice is a lot better for the sport. You yourself point out the fact you know Forkner as #214, Anderson as #312-(He hasn't run that since the amateurs) and everyone knows Hanny as #100.

Allowing riders to keep their numbers will allow people to familiarize themselves with riders, adds personality to them and gives the rider an opportunity to brand them self from it.

I.E 'Two Two' 'Seven' '#100' '199' '722'

In the GP's: '222' '72' '25' '777' '999' '84' '911'

In Moto GP: '46' '99' '26' '65' '35'

In rally: '199' '43' '34' '38'

As a Brit, I'm far, far from having any nascar knowledge at all, but even I know that Earnhardt was always #3 and the Home Depot car was always #20, the list goes on..

Surely the above makes more sense? And like the 'keys to race' always say: "Consistency is key" - same should be applied to the numbers!

In my opinion, the only time a riders points should come into affect, should be if a rider wants a number. We'll take the Golden vs Forkner #214 as an example. If Golden had earned AMA points this year, when Forkner didn't compete, Vicky would have rights to the number. If Forkner then raced this year and earned more points than Vicky, he'd be able to claim the number for the following season. Same would be applied to the 338 vs 338 ordeal.

I get the idea that the AMA don't want people new to the sport, to pose the question of: "Why is #999 between #1"

But in reality, you have the true fans of the sport (not as core as us Vital warriors) looking on every year, not having a clue, who is who! Teams change, gear changes, but if the number stayed the same, people could quickly identify a rider by their number: "Oh #22. That's Reed.. He rides a Yamaha now?"

Mookie is a great example. The dudes ridden god knows how many teams in the last few years under the numbers, 37, 36, 34 etc. If it wasn't for the predator-esque hair, he'd be unidentifiable every new season. Why not just give him an opportunity to chose a number and be done with it!?

As for Hanny, how many years has he held down 100? AMA inconsistency or not, I think that he should own that number and its just the AMA being petty. On the plus side, least our AX is now worth going to see (I booked tickets already)

12/8/2015 6:07pm
Call me simple minded, but it seems to me that reshuffling everyone's number each year is more "confusing to the fans."

lumpy790
12/8/2015 8:38pm
is #100 availible for AX?

Babbits to the red phone.....
mb
12/8/2015 9:19pm
If the AMA doesn't like 3 didget numbers anymore than get rid of them. Quit playing games with unreasonable rules. 2 didget only just like stick and ball. Don't want anyone to make a brand for themselves, heaven forbid someone makes money racing a dirtbike without winning. If someone at the AMA goofed and gave him the 100, just let the dude use it for the next however many years until he retires and then enforce the policy then. Forcing the guy to change for no other reason than political correctness is just being petty when the AMA didn't do their number assigning job correctly in the 1st place.

Using this methodology we should assign different numbers (1-20 something) for every race using timed qualifying so the "fans" know who is faster that night..

MXerDW
12/8/2015 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 8:20am
I had forgot how long Josh has been running the #100. Looking at this they should let him be #100 until he retires, as they have let him run the # this long already. I know Josh has never earned a career #, but damn I kind of see his point now.

Josh Hansen Pro #s

2002 - Rookie year

2005 (earned #71)

2007 (earned #93)

2009 (earned #67)

2010 (earned #96)

2014 - RETIRED

2016 (earned #57) - riders used their new #'s at the Red Bull Straight Rhythm race except for Josh.
EDIT Josh did not race at the MEC.

Post a reply to: Josh Hansen Racing AXUK

The Latest