Josh Hansen Racing AXUK

12/8/2015 11:18pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2015 11:24pm
Mxerdw,
I disagree. no special treatment should be given to a rider who makes a career out of the lites class. He races 6 weekends then calls it a year. I may agree with you if he maned up and raced the nationals and the full 16 rounds of 450 sx. Webb was 6 years old when hanny raced his first lites event...and that was 3 years before villiopoto entered the pro ranks. Time to step up, move up or grow up. Read my past replies I love hanny but he doesn't deserve special treatment to run 100 for 6 west coast rounds. he can run 100 at the x games.
MXerDW
12/8/2015 11:46pm
Gopher owens,
I understand what you are saying.
Rules are rules, must be followed.
Motofinne
12/9/2015 12:08am
Rules needs to be followed indeed. Hanny should not get any special treatment.

But the rules needs to be changed. They are horrible. But i think that i have made my opinion very clear.
MXerDW
12/9/2015 12:35am
The AMA has let Josh be #100 for almost 10 years now. What's it going to hurt for 1 or 2 more years?

The Shop

DC
12/9/2015 4:29am
MXerDW, those photos make a very good point -- he never should have been allowed to hold that number in the first place for so long. Others -- Brown, Lechien, Dobb, Healey, Tichenor, Parker, etc. -- used it for one year, or maybe even one race, then moved on. Not sure how or why Josh got to stay with #100 for a decade...

BESTY, also very good points, but in MXGP, and in MotoGP, there are less than 50 riders on the circuit, so the numbers are not an issue from year to year. In AMA Supercross/Motocross, there are hundreds. And in NASCAR, the teams own the numbers, not the drivers. There are hundreds of licensed riders here, and that creates a log jam when it comes to assigning numbers. The AMA tried to split the baby, giving "name" riders a chance to establish a number/brand while also having a hierarchy for up-and-coming riders. It works for most, but obviously not for Josh.

We are fans on this board so we see it all from the inside out. I could care less what number Josh runs with, here or in England, but when Tommy Searle shows up and signs up as #100, does he get it or Josh? That's the kind of thing associations have to consider when giving "permanent" numbers to part-time racers.

And if I were the 7-2-2, I would hope that one day I could be the 7-2, or maybe even the 4-2. Or the 2. No matter, he can keep his brand and his team name going, just like Josh can still call his team #100, whether it's here in SX or there in AX...

How many more days in the off-season?

DC
DC
12/9/2015 6:36am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 6:36am
555, since there hasn't been a single race yet, I imagine even race officials would be hard-pressed to say who's who in that number range. But if everyone gets to pick their own number, and keep it for as long as they want, how do you police it? And whatever happened to wanting to earn a national number, and not just claim it?

Roger DeCoster had dozens of numbers. So did Torsten Hallman. They used to change them every round of the GPs. We are familiar with them for their success as racers, not branders. And those are pretty big brands.

DC
kkawboy14
12/9/2015 6:43am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 6:44am
DC wrote:
555, since there hasn't been a single race yet, I imagine even race officials would be hard-pressed to say who's who in that number range. But...
555, since there hasn't been a single race yet, I imagine even race officials would be hard-pressed to say who's who in that number range. But if everyone gets to pick their own number, and keep it for as long as they want, how do you police it? And whatever happened to wanting to earn a national number, and not just claim it?

Roger DeCoster had dozens of numbers. So did Torsten Hallman. They used to change them every round of the GPs. We are familiar with them for their success as racers, not branders. And those are pretty big brands.

DC
So why give permanent numbers 2 thru 10 or are those permanent?

Is changing it or selling riders the number an option for the future or do all things need to stay the same forever?
DC
12/9/2015 6:48am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 6:52am
kkawboy14, those are permanent numbers past champions, and riders like RC and Jeremy asked for the rule to be changed in 2000-2001. The AMA complied, and then the rule kept getting tweaked. But we are still more familiar with them for their success as racers than as branders. And no one can buy a number (though I think Jamey Grosser tried to sell #118 to Davi Millsaps when he was turning pro. And I forgot about Millsaps, he's the other triple-digit that was grandfathered in with Pourcel and Alessi, but then changed to #18 anyway.)

Also, single-digits are reserved for riders who have won a major title, though they can choose higher, as Reed and Roczen did.

The rule can certainly change, write up a proposal and send it to the AMA.

DC
kkawboy14
12/9/2015 6:54am
DC wrote:
kkawboy14, those are permanent numbers past champions, and riders like RC and Jeremy asked for the rule to be changed in 2000-2001. The AMA complied, and...
kkawboy14, those are permanent numbers past champions, and riders like RC and Jeremy asked for the rule to be changed in 2000-2001. The AMA complied, and then the rule kept getting tweaked. But we are still more familiar with them for their success as racers than as branders. And no one can buy a number (though I think Jamey Grosser tried to sell #118 to Davi Millsaps when he was turning pro. And I forgot about Millsaps, he's the other triple-digit that was grandfathered in with Pourcel and Alessi, but then changed to #18 anyway.)

Also, single-digits are reserved for riders who have won a major title, though they can choose higher, as Reed and Roczen did.

DC
This is probably Hansons frustration, winners make the rules. It's just a fact of life, that in all areas of life that is a reality.
RPM68
12/9/2015 6:58am
Matt Walker had his only with with #68, in Houston...Just Sayin...
DC
12/9/2015 7:18am
And Matt had his only Racer X cover with that #68 too.

DC
Paul333
12/9/2015 8:06am
I would personally like to see the whole permanent number thing go away and return to everyone riding what they earned the past year. That way it becomes a goal again to earn a low number, and the champion automatically runs the #1 again as he should. The GP's are just as bad at this now.

w/100/101/102/etc reserved the GP riders riding U.S. nationals, vetted prior pro's coming back for single races, etc.

mx295
12/9/2015 8:08am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 8:09am
DC wrote:
kkawboy14, those are permanent numbers past champions, and riders like RC and Jeremy asked for the rule to be changed in 2000-2001. The AMA complied, and...

DC
My buddy's national number used to be 259. When Stewart was coming up Fox made an offer to him. Free gear if he gave up the number. As you know Stewart got the 259.
Kryan5
12/9/2015 8:11am
Did the riders know the numbering system rules before they decided to brand themselves with a number? Oh, they did you say.

More entitled dipshits!
DC
12/9/2015 8:25am
I don't think McGrath and Carmichael and Pastrana were all "entitled dipshits," I think they were smart to build on their success and legacies. But not everyone (or every number) is brand-worthy. You kind of have to back it up with results, too. They did (Pastrana more so in FMX than moto) and it helped them -- RC and MC and Pastrana all wear those numbers now, even though none actually race pro anymore.

And I forgot about Stewart and Fox trading gear for that number 259.

DC
12/9/2015 8:32am
It seems to me like his marketing strategy to get everyone to remember Josh and 100 is working... Obviously seperating from his two title sponsors has forced him to find money elsewhere and change up his racing schedule.

Personally I agree with the earned national numbers. It's something to work for. I know countless privateers who dream of having a two digit number, any two digit number. If you want your career number; win a championship, claim your number, brand yourself behind your accomplishments.
ns503
12/9/2015 8:40am
mb wrote:
If the AMA doesn't like 3 didget numbers anymore than get rid of them. Quit playing games with unreasonable rules. 2 didget only just like stick...
If the AMA doesn't like 3 didget numbers anymore than get rid of them. Quit playing games with unreasonable rules. 2 didget only just like stick and ball. Don't want anyone to make a brand for themselves, heaven forbid someone makes money racing a dirtbike without winning. If someone at the AMA goofed and gave him the 100, just let the dude use it for the next however many years until he retires and then enforce the policy then. Forcing the guy to change for no other reason than political correctness is just being petty when the AMA didn't do their number assigning job correctly in the 1st place.

Using this methodology we should assign different numbers (1-20 something) for every race using timed qualifying so the "fans" know who is faster that night..

You'd be happy with only 99 AMA racers?
Kryan5
12/9/2015 8:42am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 8:43am
DC wrote:
I don't think McGrath and Carmichael and Pastrana were all "entitled dipshits," I think they were smart to build on their success and legacies. But not...
I don't think McGrath and Carmichael and Pastrana were all "entitled dipshits," I think they were smart to build on their success and legacies. But not everyone (or every number) is brand-worthy. You kind of have to back it up with results, too. They did (Pastrana more so in FMX than moto) and it helped them -- RC and MC and Pastrana all wear those numbers now, even though none actually race pro anymore.

And I forgot about Stewart and Fox trading gear for that number 259.

DC
Clearly I was talking about those that did not earn a number to brand, such as a career number. Entitled means to believe ones self of deserving privileges or special treatment, not to have earned them as the ones you listed have.
DC
12/9/2015 8:59am
Kryan5, my bad, I see you what you meant now.

DC
12/9/2015 9:19am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 9:23am
TripleFive wrote:
Call me simple minded, but it seems to me that reshuffling everyone's number each year is more "confusing to the fans."

I fully agree with you. It's freaking annoying that they keep changing these numbers every year. If they would just let every rider choose a career number (doesn't matter if it's 1, 2 or 3 digits) it would make things much easier. All these stupid rules just make things confusing. I have to learn the numbers again every year... in GPs I recognize most of the guys because of their number. Even if they have another bike in the new season.
newmann
12/9/2015 9:30am
DC wrote:

DC

Which AMA? They will just send us your direction.Laughing

Just kidding DC although it's probably true.

Since you are here at the moment, useless Marty Smith trivia for you. I asked him how the hell he started his 78 RC500 as this thing has massive compression. He said he never started it, his mechanic always did. He also mentioned that he never stalled it on the track either...Laughing

h&m_cycle
12/9/2015 9:58am
ns503 wrote:
You'd be happy with only 99 AMA racers?
Hell yeah... I would... 250 Supercross is more weak then ever... by the end of both East/West,

Site Lap or Parade Lap Speed... Whatever you want to call it, gets you into the Main Event... Sad...
500guy
12/9/2015 10:13am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 10:15am
Hansen, WGAF

This is the same guy that said AMA suspended him and ordered anger management classes when they did not.
12/9/2015 11:03am
500guy wrote:
Hansen, WGAF

This is the same guy that said AMA suspended him and ordered anger management classes when they did not.
4 pages worth of nobody giving a fuck. Odd.
12/9/2015 11:29am
MXerDW wrote:
The AMA has let Josh be #100 for almost 10 years now. What's it going to hurt for 1 or 2 more years?
Do we know the whole story here? Maybe a foreign rider or former champion wants to return to the series this year and 100 will be used for its intended purpose. Is AMA cracking down on others or just singling out Hansen?
hvaughn88
12/9/2015 11:36am
Looks like Hanny has ridden for all the big energy drink companies.
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
12/9/2015 11:40am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2015 11:42am
500guy wrote:
Hansen, WGAF

4 pages worth of nobody giving a fuck. Odd.
True! Aside from the #100, it seems ridiculous not to let riders choose a career 3 digit number when they earn a certain amt of points. Obviously riders are going to get attached to a 3 digit number -- we all grow up racing with one.

Even DC has a soft spot for 214 & 174.
jamma10
12/9/2015 12:37pm
Paul333 wrote:
I would personally like to see the whole permanent number thing go away and return to everyone riding what they earned the past year. That way...
I would personally like to see the whole permanent number thing go away and return to everyone riding what they earned the past year. That way it becomes a goal again to earn a low number, and the champion automatically runs the #1 again as he should. The GP's are just as bad at this now.

w/100/101/102/etc reserved the GP riders riding U.S. nationals, vetted prior pro's coming back for single races, etc.

BESTY #72
12/9/2015 12:44pm
DC wrote:
MXerDW, those photos make a very good point -- he never should have been allowed to hold that number in the first place for so long...
MXerDW, those photos make a very good point -- he never should have been allowed to hold that number in the first place for so long. Others -- Brown, Lechien, Dobb, Healey, Tichenor, Parker, etc. -- used it for one year, or maybe even one race, then moved on. Not sure how or why Josh got to stay with #100 for a decade...

BESTY, also very good points, but in MXGP, and in MotoGP, there are less than 50 riders on the circuit, so the numbers are not an issue from year to year. In AMA Supercross/Motocross, there are hundreds. And in NASCAR, the teams own the numbers, not the drivers. There are hundreds of licensed riders here, and that creates a log jam when it comes to assigning numbers. The AMA tried to split the baby, giving "name" riders a chance to establish a number/brand while also having a hierarchy for up-and-coming riders. It works for most, but obviously not for Josh.

We are fans on this board so we see it all from the inside out. I could care less what number Josh runs with, here or in England, but when Tommy Searle shows up and signs up as #100, does he get it or Josh? That's the kind of thing associations have to consider when giving "permanent" numbers to part-time racers.

And if I were the 7-2-2, I would hope that one day I could be the 7-2, or maybe even the 4-2. Or the 2. No matter, he can keep his brand and his team name going, just like Josh can still call his team #100, whether it's here in SX or there in AX...

How many more days in the off-season?

DC
There may be less riders in other series, but how many numbers from 2-999 go unassigned? I really don't think it's an issue.

As for the same number ordeal, you could simply add an 'x' at the end. See all the time locally, even when 90% of the clubs don't even have transponders.

Applying that to a Euro rider going to the states, you could again use the 'x' or different colour plates, it's not hard. Especially when it's only for one race.

As for the off-season comment, apologies if this is frustrating. I just think the system needs to be a lot more rider friendly and fan friendly.

TripleFive has the right idea and sums up my point:

"Call me simple minded, but it seems to me that reshuffling everyone's number each year is more "confusing to the fans."

j. lee rolle wrote:
I don't think so but, I'm nobody...

I say make em' run the # they earned but give the former champs the option to run their initials :D
TripleFive wrote:
Without looking it up, how many of these numbers can you correctly match to their '16 rider? For me, it's zero.

13-
23-
26-
30-
31-
32-
34-
35-
36-
37-
38-
39-
40-
42-
43-

Compare your score to how confused you will be when you see 800 battling with 15."

Post a reply to: Josh Hansen Racing AXUK

The Latest