Jeremy McGraths bike problems in 97

Thor34103
7/22/2019 10:05am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I think Emig would have dominated outdoors that season no matter what . That SX season was close though.
No one has mentioned Jeremy's crash in the sand at Pontiac that cost him points. Didn't Jeremy say in his book in 97 he beat himself due to lack of focus and preparation>? I was at Troy in 97 and Jeremy was leading until he got tired.
shuggs
7/22/2019 10:15am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
I think Emig would have dominated outdoors that season no matter what . That SX season was close though.
Thor34103 wrote:
No one has mentioned Jeremy's crash in the sand at Pontiac that cost him points. Didn't Jeremy say in his book in 97 he beat himself...
No one has mentioned Jeremy's crash in the sand at Pontiac that cost him points. Didn't Jeremy say in his book in 97 he beat himself due to lack of focus and preparation>? I was at Troy in 97 and Jeremy was leading until he got tired.
Think he said the round he crashed and did not re-start was what cost him as he would have made decent enough points - it has been a couple of years since I read book though
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
7/22/2019 1:08pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Thor34103 wrote:
No one has mentioned Jeremy's crash in the sand at Pontiac that cost him points. Didn't Jeremy say in his book in 97 he beat himself...
When it comes to MC he is the only rider I can think of where every time he has an excuse we take it as fact. His stats, are undeniable. But the one year from 93 through 02 he was not on the best bike in the class we talk about how bad the bike is. His Honda’s were all time and is Yamahas we’re the best in the class again when he was on them. I’m not saying it’s all about the bike but shouldn’t it be more of a two way street? RJ and Glover winning titles on Yamahas in the 80s those were shit. Stew and RC winning on Two strokes vs a field of 4 those are disadvantages. Sorry 97 Troy Emig in all black was money, of the 26 motos in the 97 MX season Jeremy was faster in one Moto, Gainesville and he crashed anyways. RC will admit he was beat, Jermey always has an excuse it seems. With age it sure seems toned down a bit. But if social media was around back in the day with him saying the first 5 years of his career he didn’t train hard for nationals he would not get away with that today. I’m not saying MC is not the SX king. Just pointing out that of all the greats he has the most excuses or his fans give excuses. One thing is for sure though MC and Fro themselves had more personality than nearly every racer today combined.
Xracer
7/22/2019 1:21pm
Throttle story is fake. MC smoked clutches because the bike was a mutt and he had to abuse it to move forward until PC came in and found the 3hp he needed in the right places, then he started winning. Overall the bike wasn't that bad. 1 less crash or 1 less flat tire and he wins and nobody would mention the bike.

The Shop

dpingree101
7/22/2019 3:07pm
Xracer wrote:
Throttle story is fake. MC smoked clutches because the bike was a mutt and he had to abuse it to move forward until PC came in...
Throttle story is fake. MC smoked clutches because the bike was a mutt and he had to abuse it to move forward until PC came in and found the 3hp he needed in the right places, then he started winning. Overall the bike wasn't that bad. 1 less crash or 1 less flat tire and he wins and nobody would mention the bike.

Listen to the Whiskey Throttle Show with Roger De Coster.... he would disagree with you. The slide wasn't opening completely and the clutch was being installed wrong, causing the clutch to slip.That's out of RD's mouth, soo......
sandman768
7/22/2019 3:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2019 3:16pm
Suzuki’s have never had good clutch components... I think they had to add extra plates..Making an extension/adapter on the clutch cover...I don’t question RD, but how does a factory mechanic continuously install a clutch wrong?
BroFoSho
7/22/2019 3:23pm
The problem with the bike was it was a Suzuki
ridge
7/22/2019 7:44pm
Listen to the Whiskey Throttle Show with Roger De Coster.... he would disagree with you. The slide wasn't opening completely and the clutch was being installed...
Listen to the Whiskey Throttle Show with Roger De Coster.... he would disagree with you. The slide wasn't opening completely and the clutch was being installed wrong, causing the clutch to slip.That's out of RD's mouth, soo......
How dare you think Roger has more inside info than Vital.

Roger could not have been clearer on what happened...and my jaw was on the floor listening to it!
ShipLap
7/22/2019 8:33pm
Thor34103 wrote:
It was 115° heat index that day. Even the spectators were tired.
Thor34103
7/22/2019 9:09pm
ShipLap wrote:
It was 115° heat index that day. Even the spectators were tired.
Emig in his black jersey and Larry Ward dealt with it well.
ShipLap
7/25/2019 8:22pm
Yes, Emig was like "C'mon Larry, let's just get through this day.." When Ward was pushing him in the second moto.
gnarwhip
7/25/2019 8:36pm
Honda’s been lame ever since they pissed off Jerry.
Crush
7/25/2019 9:21pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Thor34103 wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
When it comes to MC he is the only rider I can think of where every time he has an excuse we take it as fact...
When it comes to MC he is the only rider I can think of where every time he has an excuse we take it as fact. His stats, are undeniable. But the one year from 93 through 02 he was not on the best bike in the class we talk about how bad the bike is. His Honda’s were all time and is Yamahas we’re the best in the class again when he was on them. I’m not saying it’s all about the bike but shouldn’t it be more of a two way street? RJ and Glover winning titles on Yamahas in the 80s those were shit. Stew and RC winning on Two strokes vs a field of 4 those are disadvantages. Sorry 97 Troy Emig in all black was money, of the 26 motos in the 97 MX season Jeremy was faster in one Moto, Gainesville and he crashed anyways. RC will admit he was beat, Jermey always has an excuse it seems. With age it sure seems toned down a bit. But if social media was around back in the day with him saying the first 5 years of his career he didn’t train hard for nationals he would not get away with that today. I’m not saying MC is not the SX king. Just pointing out that of all the greats he has the most excuses or his fans give excuses. One thing is for sure though MC and Fro themselves had more personality than nearly every racer today combined.
Yeah but he was sooooo far ahead for the four years before that... went almost undefeated and had become strong as hell outdoors too...

Nor was he the only one saying that bike was crap. LaRocco's problems on that specific bike were well documented, (which he doubled down on the WTS with Ping recently) as were a bunch of RM250 riders throughout the 90s.

If MC doesn't change or goes straight to Blue, do you think it's not like the years before or after?
cjg23307
7/30/2019 8:50am
Park Boys wrote:
He lost the title by 15 points. Charlotte was not the reason he lost.
His bike was the reason he lost had he been on a better bike he was used to he would of smoked everyone again.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
7/30/2019 2:16pm
Park Boys wrote:
Had the Charlotte flat not happened (or the Indy clutch issues, or the Lamson Round 1 debacle) he'd have gone into Vegas with the points lead and probably a much better attitude.
kiwifan
7/30/2019 2:28pm
gnarwhip wrote:
Honda’s been lame ever since they pissed off Jerry.
not sure what that has got to do with his 1997 bike and results?
cable
7/31/2019 8:11pm
Xracer wrote:
Throttle story is fake. MC smoked clutches because the bike was a mutt and he had to abuse it to move forward until PC came in...

Listen to the Whiskey Throttle Show with Roger De Coster.... he would disagree with you. The slide wasn't opening completely and the clutch was being installed...
Did RC fire his mechanic when his RMZ clutch failed at his first race on the suzuki? Smile US OPEN. As for the throttle not opening all the way, that tells you that the carb was not a 38mm.. I dont know wyatt, but I hate to see mechanics get thrown under the bus, expecially when that bike was a turd. Love your show Ping, its the best one out there.
DPR250R
7/31/2019 8:28pm
cable wrote:
Did RC fire his mechanic when his RMZ clutch failed at his first race on the suzuki? :) US OPEN. As for the throttle not opening...
Did RC fire his mechanic when his RMZ clutch failed at his first race on the suzuki? Smile US OPEN. As for the throttle not opening all the way, that tells you that the carb was not a 38mm.. I dont know wyatt, but I hate to see mechanics get thrown under the bus, expecially when that bike was a turd. Love your show Ping, its the best one out there.
It wasn’t a RMZ... just a regular RM
Cali
7/31/2019 8:36pm
I like when MC said Wyatt was too busy chasing tail. The WOT deal with the Honda throttle. That's crazy. Guess that was an early version...
I like when MC said Wyatt was too busy chasing tail. The WOT deal with the Honda throttle. That's crazy. Guess that was an early version of traction control.
Throttle problem was on the Suzuki
Cali
7/31/2019 8:43pm
Xracer wrote:

I’m going to believe Roger De Coster, over some keyboard warrior.
Cali
7/31/2019 8:44pm
sandman768 wrote:
Suzuki’s have never had good clutch components... I think they had to add extra plates..Making an extension/adapter on the clutch cover...I don’t question RD, but how...
Suzuki’s have never had good clutch components... I think they had to add extra plates..Making an extension/adapter on the clutch cover...I don’t question RD, but how does a factory mechanic continuously install a clutch wrong?
You ever been in love?
Cali
7/31/2019 8:48pm
Park Boys wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
Had the Charlotte flat not happened (or the Indy clutch issues, or the Lamson Round 1 debacle) he'd have gone into Vegas with the points lead...
Had the Charlotte flat not happened (or the Indy clutch issues, or the Lamson Round 1 debacle) he'd have gone into Vegas with the points lead and probably a much better attitude.
If your Ant has nuts, you’d be calling her uncle
Cali
7/31/2019 10:14pm
Xracer wrote:

cable wrote:
Did RC fire his mechanic when his RMZ clutch failed at his first race on the suzuki? :) US OPEN. As for the throttle not opening...
WTF are you talking about? Throttle was not opening all the way, cause the cable was not adjusted right. Being a 38 Or 39mm PWK has fuck all to do with it. I bet half the people posting can’t even charge a tire. Some of the shit people post are ridiculous. Laughing
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
8/1/2019 8:01am
His biggest problem wasn’t the bike in 97, it was his personal life.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
8/1/2019 8:12am
Decoster had some crazy stories on whiskey show about about some of the problems they had with his bike and his mechanic. First time he's told anyone about them, even Ping and GL had never heard these stories.
kiwifan
8/1/2019 1:35pm
UpTiTe wrote:
His biggest problem wasn’t the bike in 97, it was his personal life.
not according to the post below yours....
Chance1216
8/1/2019 5:11pm
Last race I went to with my grandfather was LA Supercross in 97. My grandfather being a Honda fan like myself said , WTF is he doing on a Suzuki? He isn't the same. AND THAT FOUR STROKE SOUNDS LIKE SHIT.
RIP GRANDPA.

Post a reply to: Jeremy McGraths bike problems in 97

The Latest