Fly helmet testing data released

JM485
Edited Date/Time 8/9/2019 5:24am
Didn't see a topic for this so here it is:

http://www.wpsstatic.com/miscimages/info/Formula-Benchmark-Data-Testing…

Now before everyone blasts them for not including the names of the other manufacturers like we would have wanted in an ideal world, I think they should get a lot of credit for funding this testing and publicly posting the results. Take what you will from it, but major props to them for their efforts and this is a great step in the right direction. It's so ironic to me that we have become such a litigious nation that companies are essentially forced to withhold information that would be beneficial to public knowledge in fear of being brought to court, but that's the world we live in evidently.
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/15/2019 4:43pm
Homepage bro! Tongue

I'm stoked to check out the results later!
bam530
4/15/2019 5:14pm
If one knows each models weight you can sort by that since they list the weights. JS.
4/15/2019 5:19pm
bam530 wrote:
If one knows each models weight you can sort by that since they list the weights. JS.
Meh, I had that thought also, but you’d have to know what size helmets they used and have their scale. Or have all 10 helmets they tested, which we don’t even know what they are.
DannoJ919
4/15/2019 6:10pm
I work for an expanded bead foam company. We have done some analysis on one of the latest helmets out there and I think there are a few helmets out there now that are making great progress forward in safety for moto.
Most US companies won’t produce helmet parts in the US because of the liability side of things. That is frustrating because we know there are things you could do or help with and at least the company I work for won’t touch them. That goes for ski, rock climbing, bicycle or moto helmets.

The Shop

4/15/2019 8:34pm
Is it worth going for the Fly Formula over the F2 carbon? I'm in the market for a new lid, big price difference between the two..
RexEasely
4/15/2019 9:41pm
its possible all the helmets meet the acceptance criteria. What do they mean by leading brand? So could one helmets be a Bell moto 3? Are the other 10 in the same price point?
Motofinne
4/15/2019 9:47pm
bam530 wrote:
Meh, I had that thought also, but you’d have to know what size helmets they used and have their scale. Or have all 10 helmets they...
Meh, I had that thought also, but you’d have to know what size helmets they used and have their scale. Or have all 10 helmets they tested, which we don’t even know what they are.
Yeah i would not try to guess the helmets because of that reason. The only thing we can rule out is that the Airoh Aviator 2.3 is not in that test since it weighs 1050g.

But it's awesome to see that Fly stepped up and created a high-end helmet like this!
RexEasely
4/15/2019 9:57pm
6d has similar data but at different speeds. This would be a good podcast to have an indepent scientist explain the data and significance.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
4/15/2019 9:58pm
RexEasely wrote:
its possible all the helmets meet the acceptance criteria. What do they mean by leading brand? So could one helmets be a Bell moto 3? Are...
its possible all the helmets meet the acceptance criteria. What do they mean by leading brand? So could one helmets be a Bell moto 3? Are the other 10 in the same price point?
All the tested helmets were 500-700 range.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
4/15/2019 11:18pm
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah i would not try to guess the helmets because of that reason. The only thing we can rule out is that the Airoh Aviator 2.3...
Yeah i would not try to guess the helmets because of that reason. The only thing we can rule out is that the Airoh Aviator 2.3 is not in that test since it weighs 1050g.

But it's awesome to see that Fly stepped up and created a high-end helmet like this!
I tried anyways but the helmet manufacturers arent particularly upfront or honest about weights, nor do we have any other info. Helmet "F" could be 6D or Shoei. I'm pretty sure "A" is Arai. About as far as I got lol
aees
4/15/2019 11:39pm
RexEasely wrote:
its possible all the helmets meet the acceptance criteria. What do they mean by leading brand? So could one helmets be a Bell moto 3? Are...
Markee wrote:
All the tested helmets were 500-700 range.
How is that possible? Fox v3 and 6d weigh around 1200-1300g. They went with the cheapest low end model from "top brands"?
rstaichi
4/16/2019 12:40am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 12:54am
We are a 6d family and by looking at weight I’m assuming it’s (F) on the chart. And wonder if they used a ATR1 or a ATR2? If (F) could lower its weight 144grams it would have taken the (fly) test.
Would be cool to see an non helmet group do the test with names.
4/16/2019 4:51am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 4:53am
The benchmark ranking doesn't mean anything if the consumer doesn't know which helmets it's benched against. A ranking is made to show which competitor it outperforms, so consumers can make a decision. Right now it's useless since we don't know which helmet with which kind of technology it outperforms.
lcgordon711
4/16/2019 6:34am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 7:01am
I am in the market for a new helmet. Im having trouble deciding between the 6d and the fly. From what I have read, It seems those two may be the safest. At least it seems they have the most eye catching technology. How do you guys think I should choose. I have looked at both technical data on each site and you really cant superimpose it at all. I feel like I am down to going to the shop and buying the one that fits the best. Seems a lot of people like the Bell flex but I tried that on and did not like it.
You guys have any thoughts on what you have seen. Really seems the 6d and fly accomplish or try to, the same thing.

EDIT-looking at the fly data F is 1486g and on the 6d website they say the atr2 is 1480 so that is the closest so maybe F is 6d like the gentleman above said. If that's the case it performed better than the fly it is just heavier. Now I don't know how much weight has to do with safety, I know that for comfort I don't care about a half a pound, but maybe more mass on your head makes a greater velocity hitting the ground. I don't know if a half a pound makes that much a difference with that? Seems that If F is a 6d atr2 then taking the weight out of the test criteria, it did better than the fly, so maybe that is the one to get. But what do I know.
sam hain
4/16/2019 6:57am
In ML's interview with Davi his doctor told him the moto 9 flex saved his life.
4/16/2019 7:49am
All top helmets are good. Pick the one you like. I like Arai and would choose one again over the others. Unless they post the helmets, this test doesn't mean much to me other than Fly now has a helmet worth considering to buy.
sam hain
4/16/2019 7:55am
All top helmets are good. Pick the one you like. I like Arai and would choose one again over the others. Unless they post the helmets...
All top helmets are good. Pick the one you like. I like Arai and would choose one again over the others. Unless they post the helmets, this test doesn't mean much to me other than Fly now has a helmet worth considering to buy.
I used to wear only Arai in the VX pro line, other than the shell is the Arai that special? Do they have MIPS technology or anything to reduce rotation?
JBecker 72
4/16/2019 8:07am
Any of the detectives here figured out which one is the Bell Moto 9 Flex? lol
4/16/2019 9:05am
Off what I know - the 6D is the other "best looking" helmet in the data, and there is a "third best looking" Im not sure of - maybe the other 6d option?

If you take weight out of the ranking - it's a lot different ranking picture
MelonFan123
4/16/2019 9:17am
I am in the market for a new helmet. Im having trouble deciding between the 6d and the fly. From what I have read, It seems...
I am in the market for a new helmet. Im having trouble deciding between the 6d and the fly. From what I have read, It seems those two may be the safest. At least it seems they have the most eye catching technology. How do you guys think I should choose. I have looked at both technical data on each site and you really cant superimpose it at all. I feel like I am down to going to the shop and buying the one that fits the best. Seems a lot of people like the Bell flex but I tried that on and did not like it.
You guys have any thoughts on what you have seen. Really seems the 6d and fly accomplish or try to, the same thing.

EDIT-looking at the fly data F is 1486g and on the 6d website they say the atr2 is 1480 so that is the closest so maybe F is 6d like the gentleman above said. If that's the case it performed better than the fly it is just heavier. Now I don't know how much weight has to do with safety, I know that for comfort I don't care about a half a pound, but maybe more mass on your head makes a greater velocity hitting the ground. I don't know if a half a pound makes that much a difference with that? Seems that If F is a 6d atr2 then taking the weight out of the test criteria, it did better than the fly, so maybe that is the one to get. But what do I know.
After looking at the data provided I actually guessed that Helmet F is a Shoei VFX-evo. Primarily because their new tech focuses on the crown of the helmet, and "F" performed much better in that impact test.

The Shoei and 6D weigh nearly the same I believe.

Really frustrating that we can't access not only all of the data but which helmet is which. I think the "lawsuit" song and dance is BS. Fly doesn't want to spend big $$ to test other people's products only to then give that data to their competitors. I totally get it, from a business standpoint that makes sense. But don't tell us it's because you're afraid of litigation.
Jt$
4/16/2019 9:44am
I am in the market for a new helmet. Im having trouble deciding between the 6d and the fly. From what I have read, It seems...

After looking at the data provided I actually guessed that Helmet F is a Shoei VFX-evo. Primarily because their new tech focuses on the crown of...
After looking at the data provided I actually guessed that Helmet F is a Shoei VFX-evo. Primarily because their new tech focuses on the crown of the helmet, and "F" performed much better in that impact test.

The Shoei and 6D weigh nearly the same I believe.

Really frustrating that we can't access not only all of the data but which helmet is which. I think the "lawsuit" song and dance is BS. Fly doesn't want to spend big $$ to test other people's products only to then give that data to their competitors. I totally get it, from a business standpoint that makes sense. But don't tell us it's because you're afraid of litigation.
Wrong.
4/16/2019 9:50am
All top helmets are good. Pick the one you like. I like Arai and would choose one again over the others. Unless they post the helmets...
sam hain wrote:
I used to wear only Arai in the VX pro line, other than the shell is the Arai that special? Do they have MIPS technology or...
I used to wear only Arai in the VX pro line, other than the shell is the Arai that special? Do they have MIPS technology or anything to reduce rotation?
All the info you desire can be found on their site. They don't do MIPS. Their shell design is their solution to rotational impacts.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
4/16/2019 9:51am
Jt$ wrote:
Wrong.
So F is 6D then.
Can you tell us which size helmets were used? Looks like the Fly is a small. The others?
Jt$
4/16/2019 9:54am
Jt$ wrote:
Wrong.
colintrax wrote:
So F is 6D then.
Can you tell us which size helmets were used? Looks like the Fly is a small. The others?
The comment referred to litigious concerns being BS.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/16/2019 9:56am
Jt$ wrote:
Wrong.
colintrax wrote:
So F is 6D then.
Jt$ wrote:
So what you're saying is Helmet F is the Shoei Wink
lcgordon711
4/16/2019 9:58am
I do kinda believe these top tier helmets that are doing something for rotational impacts and have really put in money and scientific testing and data are all good. It’s really great to see companies like fly step up to keep riders safer and better informed than other companies are doing. Sorta seems at this point looking between the helmets is like pickin fly shit out of chili.
Jt$
4/16/2019 9:59am
colintrax wrote:
So F is 6D then.
Jt$ wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
We specifically chose to not name competitors. Our only goal is to show how the Formula stacked up against the premium helmets in the market. This test was to show the Formula's innovation, not negatively portray anyone else's offering. As an industry, everyone is working to do a better job of protecting riders.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/16/2019 10:01am
Jt$ wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Jt$ wrote:
We specifically chose to not name competitors. Our only goal is to show how the Formula stacked up against the premium helmets in the market. This...
We specifically chose to not name competitors. Our only goal is to show how the Formula stacked up against the premium helmets in the market. This test was to show the Formula's innovation, not negatively portray anyone else's offering. As an industry, everyone is working to do a better job of protecting riders.
I was just giving you a hard time JT.

I think it's awesome that this info is out. Although, like many others, I do wish that we could see who was who but I understand what you guys are doing and I think the majority of us appreciate it.
Jt$
4/16/2019 10:10am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I was just giving you a hard time JT. I think it's awesome that this info is out. Although, like many others, I do wish that...
I was just giving you a hard time JT.

I think it's awesome that this info is out. Although, like many others, I do wish that we could see who was who but I understand what you guys are doing and I think the majority of us appreciate it.
Trust me, I and many others wish the same.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
4/16/2019 10:19am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2019 10:22am
Based on the weight I was thinking F was the moto 9 Flexx

Also, I’m pretty sure I is the 6D ATR-1

Post a reply to: Fly helmet testing data released

The Latest