engine builders

Related:
Create New Tag

7/19/2018 9:38 AM

Any recommendations on engine builders, thinking of putting a few more ponies in the ole bike and moving the power curve higher..

16 kx450

|

7/19/2018 10:00 AM

Frenchie from C4MX would be my pick. He is busy with Honda Racing now but he may want to do it on the weekend.

|

7/19/2018 10:12 AM

Derek Harris at HP Race development is a big contributor with his knowledge on this forum and I believe raced that same exact bike at LL last year so I'm sure he knows the bike inside and out.

|

7/19/2018 10:12 AM

Proven Moto
Twisted Development
TMR

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/19/2018 10:16 AM

motox11 wrote:

Derek Harris at HP Race development is a big contributor with his knowledge on this forum and I believe raced that same exact ...more

Was going to suggest the same.

|

7/19/2018 3:32 PM

4 stroke = Ron Hamp. RHC.
He's got a spec for that head too as I recall. Ask him about it.

|

7/19/2018 3:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2018 3:39 PM

Well in NorCal there's always Haeseker Racing Engines in Sutter Creek. Well known builder.

Hammer 663s

|

7/19/2018 6:45 PM

So many really good builders. Dont listen to people tell thier horror stories. It happens with ALL builders. You name a builder ive heard a story. Here is a list in no order.

Gorr, TZR, Dasa, william motor werx,varner, tom morgan, frenchy at C4MX, tokyo mod, twisted development, race tech, pr2, Ron hamp, harris performance, zip ty chad watts and and a great builder that just went on his own from JGR john Mitchell from Bundy Built.

ALL of these guy's can build you a bitchin head.
I needed a head rebuilt while i was at clubmx and john at Bundy built dropped everything to fix my head so it didnt ruin my 2 weeks down there. Saved me big time gave me a tour of his new shop and hooked me up with some trick valves to.

|

7/19/2018 6:58 PM

Yesterday I rode the Rocket Performance/Rocket Exhaust 2018 CRF450R. It was EASY Fast. It was REALLY EASY to ride fast. I have no higher compliment for a race bike. This is the same bike Vital MX tested and loved. They build amazing motors!
PhotoPhoto

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

7/19/2018 7:22 PM

Terry Varner! In Hesperia, CA. None better

|

7/19/2018 9:20 PM

These would be my top 5 reputable engine tuners.
1. PC
2. Yoshimura
3. Terry Varner
4. Tom Morgan
5. Chad Watts

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

7/19/2018 9:57 PM

Don’t mean to hijack but what about 2 stroke builders? Varner/Morgan/gorr/pc?? What about race tech I have t heard much about there 2 stroke builds

|

7/19/2018 11:30 PM

Twisted

|

7/20/2018 12:33 AM

I'd try AHM: http://www.ahmfactoryservices.com/

Local for you and they know Kawi's quite well (just ask Bowers) cool

|

7/20/2018 3:33 AM

Chad at XPR

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

7/20/2018 5:43 AM

Go with someone close, there is alot of good builders out there, sometimes just ask there opinion, they might have a good setup with out alot of work. any one of the above mentioned are good.

|

7/20/2018 6:45 AM

Tzr has been building Kawasakis for his race team and his work is great. Very ethical company with a great knowledge base. Call them and decide!

|

7/20/2018 6:45 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Yesterday I rode the Rocket Performance/Rocket Exhaust 2018 CRF450R. It was EASY Fast. It was REALLY EASY to ride fast. I have ...more

Really? Better than the Kawi 450 motor I built for you? I'm hurt...

|

7/20/2018 7:04 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Yesterday I rode the Rocket Performance/Rocket Exhaust 2018 CRF450R. It was EASY Fast. It was REALLY EASY to ride fast. I have ...more

VonShofstall wrote:

Would you look at what the cat dragged in!

|

7/20/2018 7:09 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

VonShofstall wrote:

slipdog wrote:

Haha! Hi Slippy, Hope all is well with you!

|

7/20/2018 7:35 AM

VonShofstall wrote:

slipdog wrote:

VonShofstall wrote:

Haha! Hi Slippy, Hope all is well with you!

Ya know, that Kawi was bad ass and gave Dostal is only good race in 2008. But, it did have one of those carburetor thingys...so, that seems like way, way back.

|

Nobody ever told me, I found out for myself. You've got to believe in foolish miracles. It's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose. You can choose. Don't confuse. Win or lose. It's up to you!

7/20/2018 7:41 AM

C4MX

|

7/20/2018 11:58 AM

PTshox wrote:

If you truly want big hp - ron has this bike dialed for big numbers

His head and cam profile design for that gen engine can be found on the last outdoor championship bike and this years potentially winning bike

If the bike is used for moto - hp isnt really your issue for going faster

|

7/20/2018 11:59 AM

crc245 wrote:

With a pc engine smile

|

7/20/2018 12:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2018 12:23 PM

crc245 wrote:

Derek Harris wrote:

With a pc engine smile

PC parts utilized, indeed, just like the combination of Hinson, CP-Carrillo, Vortex, etcetera. However, I'm pretty sure they grind a head specifically for TB69 and touch up a few other items as well...

OP - If the desired goal is moving the power curve higher, a Vortex x10 is magic for your 16' (which had notoriously bad stock mapping). It can be improved upon even more with engine work (porting, diferent cam profiles, etc) but the box (and good fuel) may be enough of an improvement to keep you content.

Many of the tuners mentioned above can help you out in a prompt and professional manner: Varner, AHM, PC, C4MX, Twisted, XPR, Rocket, and others are all SoCal local - Which is a huge bonus in lieu of sending your stuff out. It absolutely SUCKS waiting 3+ months for parts that are promised to return within 4-6 weeks, right Derek?

|

7/20/2018 12:55 PM

PTshox wrote:

Derek Harris wrote:

If you truly want big hp - ron has this bike dialed for big numbers

His head and cam profile design for that gen engine can ...more

I didn't want to over sell RHC... but Derek has good points as Ron has done some work for factories. Further, there are several tuners listed here that are using RHC developed parts in their builds. From Cams to valves to valve springs. One of the guys listed here didn't even know he was using RHC parts! One of the builders that is really a 2 stroke guy listed goes to Ron for advise too. Ron knows 4 strokes.

But to Derek's point... it will have a LOT of HP and that may not be what you need. So be honest with him on your skill set. A cam and mapping can change a lot.

|

7/20/2018 1:21 PM

crc245 wrote:

Derek Harris wrote:

With a pc engine smile

crc245 wrote:

PC parts utilized, indeed, just like the combination of Hinson, CP-Carrillo, Vortex, etcetera. However, I'm pretty sure they ...more

Yep

also sucks getting slow bikes for big money.

|

7/20/2018 4:30 PM

I have had good luck with hp, Williams and rhc, go with what you want, if possible try to find bikes that have some work done, and ride them.

|

7/20/2018 5:13 PM

Motor Medic Racing.....out of Temecula, CA

|

twist wrist and go...

brad@palmspringsmotorsports.com

7/21/2018 4:37 AM

Only one builder mentioned in this thread that has been voted AMA mechanic of the year more than once, multiple motocross and supercross championships in a era when the oem's gave you the parts and said "make it work!"... Tom Morgan Racing. A lot of us think of Tom as a 2 stroke builder but he was building 4 strokes for drag/road racing & doing streetbike product development for Kawasaki Japan before they recruited him to the MX side... Been around motorsports and builders my whole life and none have impressed me like Tom and the work he has done for us and others I know??.

|