Washougal First Timer

wolfskill16
Fantasy
2492nd
6/11/2022 11:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 6:14am
We went to our first national at Hangtown last year. I’ve been going to Supercross for forever but am new to attending nationals. We are traveling from Arizona to Washougal this year and have some questions from those that regularly attend. We are looking to camp there Wednesday. If we camp, are we able to park trackside and watch from the top of the trailer? Also, we are considering bringing our dogs. Are they allowed at the camp at washougal? Also is the vip pit pass worth it over the $25 one? From my understanding the only difference is getting a meal and two drink tickets plus a hole shot pass. Is that worth it or are there other perks?
|
6/12/2022 12:13am
No dogs for sure. Can’t say anything about the camping but if you arrive Wednesday you should get a pretty good spot.
6/12/2022 9:01am
What you talking about no dogs people bring them all the time to the track. But I believe on the race day no they would have to stay in the pits.

Parking next to the track good luck believe many of those spots will be reserved. They have amateur racing two days before the race. So do not expect to show up to an empty track on Wednesday.

Can't comment on the vip stiff never bothered.
Best viewing of the track is gonna be up on the hillside. But it will pack in. Don't be afraid to move around. Oh and washougal isn't very flat you're gonna be walking up/down a hillside almost all the time.

The overall the pit area is pretty big for camping and such. I would avoid parking in the big grass field on the eastern side of the track. It's where a lot of the locals end up at. It's open nothing around gets rowdy at night. Plus it's the area they have everyone park.

If was me I would scout the area just west of the whoops. Road like Y's and there's a small creek rention pond. Drive around it and park up there. You got tree coverage close to the track. Kinda not as well known less foot traffic.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
6/12/2022 12:26pm
Spectators at Washougal are a lot closer trackside all the way around than at current Hangtown, old school in that respect. On the flip side, you cannot park in one place and see a lot of the track (the center part next to Horsepower Hill probably best), unlike Hangtown where you can see most of the track. You'll get a lot more out of it planning to hoof it around to get the full feel of the place. It's a great venue.
nwmx
6/12/2022 1:50pm
Only spot you can really get close to the track would be next to the whoops, everything else pretty well blocked off. Hard to get a good camp spot, last year we showed up Wednesday morning and it was already tough

The Shop

JMMTB69
6/12/2022 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2022 3:33pm
If you are getting in on Wed I'd recommend checking out PIR in Portland for Thurs Night Moto, $15K pro purse which usually attracts some bigger name
Harv379
Fantasy
1959th
6/12/2022 10:09pm
FYI camping there is terrible. Idiots are up until sunrise partying and making as much noise as they can there's zero respect for others. Might not be bad in a camper but in a tent with earplugs, I probably got 2hrs of sleep at most.
ctbale
6/13/2022 12:04am
Riding washougal is good, watching riding at washougal...... not so good
motomike137
6/13/2022 11:52am
I've been once and my advice is come prepared to hike around to different vantage points if you want to take the place in properly. There are a lot of cool spots up top out of sight of the main spectator area you can get to that are unique. All in all it is an AWESOME race track with amazing scenery. If you have time you should explore the Columbia river gorge as well. There are some amazing scenic spots and some really cool waterfalls on the Oregon side. It's a beautiful part of the country!
clarkgray432
Fantasy
3911th
6/13/2022 11:56am
I’ve been going my whole life, heading up this summer as well. Taking the old lady for the first time and not racing PIR or amateur day for the first time lol parking a trailer trackside is possible in one area before the mechanics spot but you better believe they’ll all be taken. I’ve camped many years out there and it’s awesome. It’s honestly better not being trackside. Me and the wife are heading out of here Monday night so we’ll be there Tuesday. Have family in washougal and camas so let me know if you have any hiccups 👍🏻
wolfskill16
Fantasy
2492nd
6/13/2022 2:30pm
Thank you all for the replies! This has really helped out and am looking forward to bringing my bike with to race at PIR! Does anyone have any input on the normal pit pass vs the vip? Thanks again
LungButter
6/13/2022 3:21pm
Thank you all for the replies! This has really helped out and am looking forward to bringing my bike with to race at PIR! Does anyone...
Thank you all for the replies! This has really helped out and am looking forward to bringing my bike with to race at PIR! Does anyone have any input on the normal pit pass vs the vip? Thanks again
If it were me and your coming on Wednesday anyway....race the Amateur day at Washougal over racing at PIR.
clarkgray432
Fantasy
3911th
6/13/2022 3:28pm
LungButter wrote:
If it were me and your coming on Wednesday anyway....race the Amateur day at Washougal over racing at PIR.
Race both
6/13/2022 8:35pm
July 24th there's a practice that Sunday at Mt view mx the day after the national. It's one of the ones you're supposed to sign up for in advance.

It's very close to washougal over by gresham. The track where they did the 22 crf250r debut.
Ob917
6/13/2022 8:45pm
You definitely ain’t getting a track side parking spot
LungButter
6/13/2022 8:49pm
Ob917 wrote:
You definitely ain’t getting a track side parking spot
I would second this. Most of that stuff is taken by Monday or Tuesday by people who pay extra or have connections.
suspensionguy
Fantasy
1803rd
6/15/2022 12:00am
If you wanna do it right get up here Monday, ride the woodchip track at mtn view Tuesday, Albany Wednesday, watch or race pir Thursday, rest Friday, lace up some hiking boots and get to shougal early Saturday. Finish it off Saturday night at one of the 53 strip clubs in the area. or maybe that’s just what I’ll do
6/15/2022 6:48am
Consider stopping in So. Oregon and rafting hellgate pass on the rouge river. Incredibly beautiful and fun.
6/15/2022 8:28am
If you wanna do it right get up here Monday, ride the woodchip track at mtn view Tuesday, Albany Wednesday, watch or race pir Thursday, rest...
If you wanna do it right get up here Monday, ride the woodchip track at mtn view Tuesday, Albany Wednesday, watch or race pir Thursday, rest Friday, lace up some hiking boots and get to shougal early Saturday. Finish it off Saturday night at one of the 53 strip clubs in the area. or maybe that’s just what I’ll do
"Woodchip track" Laughing
lamy962
6/15/2022 5:10pm
ctbale wrote:
Curious what is so not good about it? I haven't been to them all but it's one of the best in my opinion. I get that you can't see the whole track from one spot but you can basically walk trackside around the whole thing..
lamy962
6/15/2022 5:23pm
What you talking about no dogs people bring them all the time to the track. But I believe on the race day no they would have...
What you talking about no dogs people bring them all the time to the track. But I believe on the race day no they would have to stay in the pits.

Parking next to the track good luck believe many of those spots will be reserved. They have amateur racing two days before the race. So do not expect to show up to an empty track on Wednesday.

Can't comment on the vip stiff never bothered.
Best viewing of the track is gonna be up on the hillside. But it will pack in. Don't be afraid to move around. Oh and washougal isn't very flat you're gonna be walking up/down a hillside almost all the time.

The overall the pit area is pretty big for camping and such. I would avoid parking in the big grass field on the eastern side of the track. It's where a lot of the locals end up at. It's open nothing around gets rowdy at night. Plus it's the area they have everyone park.

If was me I would scout the area just west of the whoops. Road like Y's and there's a small creek rention pond. Drive around it and park up there. You got tree coverage close to the track. Kinda not as well known less foot traffic.

What Joe said. Yes you can bring dogs but they must stay at camp for the most part, I don't believe they'll let them in the spectator area/infield whatsoever during the races.

There is no good place you can camp right next to the track and watch from the roof. The ones that are there will be reserved for vendors or sponsors. I would recommend what Joe said, park in the trees somewhere to the west of the whoops. Usually a little quieter than the east side by the field plus you'll have better options for some shady spots.

Have you have a great time, I'll be watering from the downhill to the landing of the triple so come on by if you need cooled off with the fire hose!
FIREfish148
6/15/2022 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2022 5:48pm
You can watch from on top of your trailor but you would be way better off walking around. You probably won’t be able to get a spot close enough honestly though, there’s like 15 spots I can think of that might make for a good view and they’re usually taken first. Bring good shoes cause the dirt is either super dusty or super slick. Not sure about the dogs but the track rules are a lot more relaxed during amateur days so it might be ok?
motomike137
6/16/2022 6:14am
ctbale wrote:
lamy962 wrote:
Curious what is so not good about it? I haven't been to them all but it's one of the best in my opinion. I get that...
Curious what is so not good about it? I haven't been to them all but it's one of the best in my opinion. I get that you can't see the whole track from one spot but you can basically walk trackside around the whole thing..
I agree. This is outdoor motocross and part of the fun is hiking around and taking in different vantage points. I used to enjoy Kenworthys which was flat as a pancake lol. Washougal is easily one of the coolest tracks in the series.
6/16/2022 9:44am
PIR is fun but you will only get one 4 lap moto and pay full price. I raced the vintage and vet class last year and got about 12 laps total with practices. We had a blast though and I'm doing it again this year. It's a giant party for sure!
MontyMX815
7/11/2022 9:44am
Does anyone know how the cell phone service is near the track, or in the camping area?

Verizon specifically, but possibly others?
7/11/2022 9:46am
MontyMX815 wrote:
Does anyone know how the cell phone service is near the track, or in the camping area?

Verizon on my work phone and T-Mobile on my personal phone both work when I'm at the track...
7/11/2022 10:22am
MontyMX815 wrote:

Depends on where you're at hit or miss on data out there. Phone n text works the best. Just spent 4 days out there.
Hudd_421
7/11/2022 11:34am
Traffic is horrible getting out from both the National Saturday night and PIR Thursday night. I heard horror stories last year of people taking 3 hours to get out of PIR and back up to Washougal.

For Saturday night, I say just camp out another night and hit the river. Best river spot is if you take Washougal river road alllll the way to the end (probably 10 miles east of the track) where it dead ends at an awesome waterfall/natural pool.
LungButter
7/11/2022 3:29pm
MontyMX815 wrote:

Cell service is great there on Verizon, I've used my hot spot to work while camped there a couple times.

That said, by Thursday afternoon of National weekend the towers are pretty overloaded, so don't expect great service from then until Sunday morning.
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
7/11/2022 8:03pm
MontyMX815 wrote:

LungButter wrote:
Cell service is great there on Verizon, I've used my hot spot to work while camped there a couple times. That said, by Thursday afternoon of...
Cell service is great there on Verizon, I've used my hot spot to work while camped there a couple times.

That said, by Thursday afternoon of National weekend the towers are pretty overloaded, so don't expect great service from then until Sunday morning.
I have Verizon as well and there service last year I think was good until Saturday. Once Saturday morning rolled around the cell service left the building.

Post a reply to: Washougal First Timer

The Latest